05. A Poem (Written In Moonlight)
06. Softly On The Path You Fade
07. Thou Art Free
08. Drown My Sorrow
09. Lost My Way
10. Loss (In Memoriam)
11. Thus My Heart Weepeth For Thee
12. In Your Shining Eyes

Saturnus are a band that have been on the scene for a while now, and have made a huge impact on modern-day doom metal. Despite their discography only being relatively short to date, it is a flawless one in my eyes. Their second release Martyre is certainly no exception, as it is considered to be one of the best death doom releases of all time, alongside Veronika Decides To Die.

You will find nothing that sounds entirely orignal on this album, but Saturnus have their way of developing a fine balance between doom, death, and gothic metal, with beautifully constructed, melodic riffs that slowly flow with true doom metal fashion. Take the song "A Poem (Written In Moonlight)" for instance; although the riff is slow and could easily fall into the trap of becoming too repetitive, it has a haunting melody that builds up into a sorrowful atmosphere, in a way that brings on feelings of despair. With the heavy guitar tone and melodies, the sound is not too far off the Lake Of Tears album Headstones.

Martyre contains some phenomenal songs, the highlights for me being "Softly On The Path You Fade" and "Thus My Heart Weepeth For Thee", which are just two beautifully constructed and well written songs packed with heavy riffs, outstanding clean and harsh vocals, and melodies that bring out so much emotion. There is also a great use of acoustic guitar, like on the song "Thou Art Free". Just as the Old English song titles and lyrics would suggest, the album gives off a real medieval Shakespearean feel to it.

There are also shorter, more up-tempo songs, like the short and catchy "Lost My Way", and the equally short and heavy "Empty Handed". These tracks have a more clean and less harsh sound to them compared with other songs on this album. They sound very similar to Paradise Lost and Anathema, especially when it comes to the clean vocal style.

To me, Martyre is ideal for a cold, fresh autumn morning walk, when you're feeling a bit gloomy, but any fan of death doom in general should not ignore this album.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by AndyMetalFreak | 26.12.2021

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 59 users
26.12.2021 - 16:23
Rating: 7
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
It's been a while since I've received two notifications for one of my all-time favorite bands within a few minutes... So their long-awaited new album will finally come next year? Wow!

However, your review makes me doubt my personal rating. For me, only Veronika Decides To Die has always been an easy 9/10 and the highlight of their career so far, outnumbering Martyre by a considerable margin.
Thank you for the impetus to spin both albums again after a very long time.
----
signatures = SPAM
26.12.2021 - 18:37
Rating: 9
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Written by Starvynth on 26.12.2021 at 16:23

It's been a while since I've received two notifications for one of my all-time favorite bands within a few minutes... So their long-awaited new album will finally come next year? Wow!

However, your review makes me doubt my personal rating. For me, only Veronika Decides To Die has always been an easy 9/10 and the highlight of their career so far, outnumbering Martyre by a considerable margin.
Thank you for the impetus to spin both albums again after a very long time.

Veronika Decides To Die has always been my favourite Saturnus album too, an instant hit with me, and one of the few albums I find faultless. Martyr on the other hand is my second favourite, but took severel more listens before I really started to appreciate it. Over time I have grown to like it more and more, but it's still no match for Veronika Decides To Die IMO.

I'm really looking forward to their new release, I don't know what to expect, but if it's anywhere near as good as this I will be very happy.

Hits total: 1138 | This month: 13