Metal Storm logo
Top 11 Favourite Metal Albums Of 2003

Thumbs up: 0
Happy Solstice or whatever you people celebrate! Starting the year with a pretty Black Metal-heavy list.

Plus my top three favourite tracks from each release. \m/

Honourable mentions:
Moonspell - The Antidote (Gothic)
Alchemist - Austral Alien (Progressive)
KMFDM - WWIII (Industrial)
Enslaved - Below The Lights (Progressive/Black)

Non-Metal mentions:
The Exploited - Fuck The System (Punk)
Velvet Acid Christ - Hex Angel (Utopia/Dystopia) (Industrial)

Created by: blackwreath13 | 03.01.2022

1. Watain - Casus Luciferi
2003 (Black) Devil's Blood, Opus Dei (The Morbid Angel), I Am the Earth
2. Funeral Mist - Salvation
2003 (Black) Across the Qlipthoth, Holy Poison, Breathing Wounds
3. Machine Head - Through The Ashes Of Empires
2003 (Groove) Descend The Shades Of Night, All Falls Down, Vim
4. Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
2003 (Black) Our Blessed Frozen Cells, The Howling of God, Devilish Essence
5. Kamelot - Epica
2003 (Power/Symphonic) Lost & Damned, Farewell, The Mourning After (Carry On)
6. Belphegor - Lucifer Incestus
2003 (Black/Death) Fukk The Blood Of Christ, Diaboli Virtus In Lumbar Est, The Goatchrist
7. Epica - The Phantom Agony
2003 (Symphonic) Illusive Consensus, Cry For The Moon (The Embrace That Smothers - Part IV), Seif al Din (The Embrace That Smothers - Part VI)
8. Septicflesh - Sumerian Daemons
2003 (Death/Symphonic) Sumerian Daemons, Unbeliever, Magic Loves Infinity
9. Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
2003 (Folk) Jumalten Kaupunki / Tuhatvuotinen Perinto, Kivenkantaja, Unohduksen Lapsi
10. Hatebreed - The Rise Of Brutality
2003 (Metalcore) Doomsayer, Straight To Your Face, Live For This
11. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
2003 (Black/Symphonic) Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse, Allegiance, Eradication Instincts Defined

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by blackwreath13 ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 8   Visited by: 14 users
04.01.2022 - 02:22
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Yikes! I don't know any of these! Although Kamelot and Moonsorrow are on my to-do list.

I'd recommend Crimson II by Edge Of Sanity for 2003
04.01.2022 - 16:18
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Good choices I've not listened to a huge amount from this year, but there is a great mix of genre's, my top 5 would be:

Lost Horizon - A Flame Beneath The Ground
Falkenbach - Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty
Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
04.01.2022 - 17:45
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Blut Aus Nord, Alchemist and Funeral Mist are bangers, I think that's the most we've ever had in common haha!
2003 was a goddamn great year with among others Ephel Duath's mindblowing jazzy release, Virus' excellent avantgarde album and what might as well be my second favorite Dream Theater album ever. In addition is the aforementioned Crimson II, as well as The Black Mages' awesome version of various final fantasy songs, Unexpect's fresh and fun avantgarde EP and Manes' departure from metal into more experimental, but still great territories.
Finally, Windir and Bathory both released their swansongs, and both are really great.
08.01.2022 - 08:06
blackwreath13

Written by F3ynman2000 on 04.01.2022 at 02:22

Yikes! I don't know any of these! Although Kamelot and Moonsorrow are on my to-do list.

I'd recommend Crimson II by Edge Of Sanity for 2003

Forgive the delay, it’s been a crazy few weeks.

This year featured a lot of stuff I used to listen to but grew out of so it wasn’t one I got super excited about. Watain was so easy of a choice for 1 it’s not funny, the rest is mostly stuff I think is great but kinda need to be in the right mood for.

Would it be safe to say if Edge Of Sanity released an album in any year that you recommend it?
(I still haven’t had a chance to hear the first one!)
08.01.2022 - 08:09
blackwreath13

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 04.01.2022 at 16:18

Good choices I've not listened to a huge amount from this year, but there is a great mix of genre's, my top 5 would be:

Lost Horizon - A Flame Beneath The Ground
Falkenbach - Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty
Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came

Oh I meant to listen to Falkenbach and Swallow The Sun but was so busy. They could be added soon enough though.
08.01.2022 - 08:19
blackwreath13

Written by Roman Doez on 04.01.2022 at 17:45

Blut Aus Nord, Alchemist and Funeral Mist are bangers, I think that's the most we've ever had in common haha!
2003 was a goddamn great year with among others Ephel Duath's mindblowing jazzy release, Virus' excellent avantgarde album and what might as well be my second favorite Dream Theater album ever. In addition is the aforementioned Crimson II, as well as The Black Mages' awesome version of various final fantasy songs, Unexpect's fresh and fun avantgarde EP and Manes' departure from metal into more experimental, but still great territories.
Finally, Windir and Bathory both released their swansongs, and both are really great.

As an Aussie, Alchemist are a national treasure. All our bands who toughed it out before the internet have my respect (and they aren’t even Black/Thrash lol).

3? Score! After doing albums I have been thinking of doing EPs so I will remember that.
08.01.2022 - 11:19
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by blackwreath13 on 08.01.2022 at 08:06

Would it be safe to say if Edge Of Sanity released an album in any year that you recommend it?

I've only listened to 4 of their albums: Spectral Sorrows, Purgatory Afterglow, Crimson ,Crimson II - and, yes I recommend all of those! I can't speak for the other Edge of Sanity albums. I'll have to check those out...

I'll also have to check out Watain's 2003 album. Aren't they similar to Dissection's style?
09.01.2022 - 06:21
blackwreath13

Written by F3ynman2000 on 08.01.2022 at 11:19

Written by blackwreath13 on 08.01.2022 at 08:06

I've only listened to 4 of their albums: Spectral Sorrows, Purgatory Afterglow, Crimson ,Crimson II - and, yes I recommend all of those! I can't speak for the other Edge of Sanity albums. I'll have to check those out...

I'll also have to check out Watain's 2003 album. Aren't they similar to Dissection's style?

They are often called a spiritual successor to Dissection, I don’t think they are exactly alike musically as I’d say Dissection are more harmonic but I believe if you like one you’ll probably like the other. I discovered both at the same time and they were both a big influence on me.

Give opening track “Devil’s Blood” a listen, its opening riff is a tribute to Mayhem and the song is often the first one I play for people curious about Black Metal as it’s almost a love letter to the style.

Hits total: 214 | This month: 5