09. Darkness At The Heart Of My Love
10. Griftwood
11. Bite Of Passage
12. Respite On The Spitalfields

The Best Hard Rock Album Of 2022

Staff review by
Netzach
Rating:
"If You Have Ghost", you have arena rock in ABBA clothing.

Read more ››
published 29.03.2022 | Comments (15)

Found in 41 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 48   Visited by: 796 users
17.03.2022 - 06:06
Rating: 2
Rogodop

Boring, uninspired songwriting. The riffs were forgettable and the vocals were a bit jarring. The production was very good however. I did not enjoy this much at all though.
21.03.2022 - 11:34
Rating: 7
Liafev

So much hate for such a light hearted and positive album. Meliora sure remains my favourite Ghost album after this, but it was a very pleasant listen. I can imagine this making its place in my regular listening habits, because it's a nice album to play on a sunny day, and / or when I'm with my (mostly) non-metal friends.

I also quite liked the 80' hard rock vibe, it's not something I ever think of listening to, but it worked for me here.

Favourite track: Spillways - The most obvious 80' worship I felt.
21.03.2022 - 17:40
Rating: 9
gavdann

Written by Liafev on 21.03.2022 at 11:34

So much hate

That's nothing new where Ghost are concerned. They've been getting praise and flack in equal measure since before the release Opus.

The only reason the earlier albums are rated highly are because of all the Janet come latelys suddenly saying they loved them all along.
01.04.2022 - 08:42
Rating: 8
Gungniru

Damn, I like so album more a I thought I would. Why tue overall rating be lower how Prequelle i beyond me. It just flows so well.
02.04.2022 - 01:04
Rating: 4
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Not a terrible album over all, but its a very bad Ghost album. IMO they should have just changed names, this is a whole new band just using the ghost branding.
----
10.04.2022 - 23:42
Rating: 6
skeksis25

"B sides" of Prequelle
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7023
20.04.2022 - 22:49
tominator
At best deranged
Better than the previous one in my book. It paces itself better and doesn't feel like a chore to get through like Prequelle was for me. Call Me Little Sunshine was by far my favourite track.

And Kaisarion sounds exactly like the impression I had from the title... like a theme song for a Saturday morning cartoon...
21.04.2022 - 09:45
gavdann

Written by tominator on 20.04.2022 at 22:49

And Kaisarion sounds exactly like the impression I had from the title... like a theme song for a Saturday morning cartoon...

Two people have said that now. Did you both read this in a review or something?

I still love this album, been playing it 2 or 3 times a day since release. The only track I'd possibly skip (if I wasn't playing it on vinyl) is Darkness At the Heart. Everything else is classic Ghost for me.
21.04.2022 - 19:05
tominator
At best deranged
Written by gavdann on 21.04.2022 at 09:45

Two people have said that now. Did you both read this in a review or something?

Haven't really read any review on this one. But that chorus just has that cheesy and energetic vibe you would expect from one of those shows.
10.08.2022 - 15:54
Rating: 5
Porkchop II.

No killers, only fillers. Not catchy at all. No atmosphere.
By far their worst. I don't know why I even rate this so high yet.
05.09.2022 - 07:55
Athenar

I liked this album more then their last album. This might be my album of the year to be honest
17.10.2022 - 20:39
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am in some kind of "(soft) rock phase" of my music tastes evolution (bands like Alter Bridge or Breaking Benjamin), so this album fits quite well with it. "Griftwood" is my new favorite song.
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.10.2022 - 19:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Some of these songs are fun, some aren’t. The production is a bit overwhelming. Almost as jarring a Def Leppard. Not really sure how I feel about it overall.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.03.2023 - 11:35
Rating: 5
Denismetal93

Now in their fifth studio album, Ghost have nothing left to hide. That mysterious as well as cartoonish iconographic charge with which we had known them in the past is melting like snow in the sun, as are their darker and more occult influences, here practically reduced to a not even too devious Crowleyan pose featured on the cover.
Arena rock to be exact, because Ghost's music of the past few years is a horror show for the masses: big sets, pomposity galore, and cell phones to the sky to immortalize a frontman increasingly beloved by young and old alike, no matter what.
Riding this increasingly impressive wave, Tobias Forge did not hesitate to slip into the album's set list the famous "Hunter's Moon" (a convincing passage with an old-school flavor), a song already appreciated in the credits of David Gordon Green's negligible "Halloween Kills."

Apart from the aforementioned composition, there are few tracks that save themselves from anonymity: the fine single "Call Me Little Sunshine," the brilliant "Spillways" (a piece that confirms the importance of Abba and Queen in Forge's musical background) and then again "Watcher In The Sky," a rocky midtempo that might make the various heavy-metal detractors think again.

Too little to achieve sufficiency, considering the sharp and sudden decline that marks the second half of the record, symbolically opened by the theatrical motions of "Twenties" (a breathless diversion) and the sugary notes of the semi-ballad "Darkness At The Heart Of My Love" (when romance reeks of plastic). There is an air of emptiness and you can hear it, even in the concluding "Respite On The Spitalfields," good in the refrain but too soft to rightfully enter among Ghost's timeless classics.

While waiting for a new hypothetical white smoke, Pope Emeritus IV is enjoying the empire he has built year after year. But behind that in some ways untouchable mask, his substance is disintegrating at the speed of light.
07.03.2023 - 12:41
gavdann

Written by Denismetal93 on 07.03.2023 at 11:35

Too little to achieve sufficiency, considering the sharp and sudden decline that marks the second half of the record

I started to tire of the immediacy of the first half, so recently I tend to play the second half more as that's where I found the slow burners.

For me there's not really a bad track on the album so I still stand by my 9/10.
03.09.2023 - 13:40
24emd
Theory Snob
Not sure about most of the album, but "Kaisarion" is a hell of a banger.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
09.09.2023 - 10:42
tintinb

This is definitely not a metal album but this is such a good hard rock album. The songs and choruses are catchy, the last song is really good and twenties is just awesome.
----
Leeches everywhere.
28.09.2023 - 13:45
Coconut Racecar

This is my favorite of theirs. And I think "Call Me Little Sunshine" is my favorite song of theirs as well.

I had seen a video that mentioned this album as sounding more pop than some of their previous works, and while I would normally not like a metal band doing this, I think Ghost pulled it off very well.

Hits total: 9908 | This month: 39