Metal Storm logo
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 12 Issue #3 - Awesome New Demos and EPs

Written by: nikarg, RaduP, musclassia, Starvynth
Published: 10.04.2022

Clandestine Cuts Volume 12, Issue #3
The Metal Storm Demo/EP Spotlight

Brand New Independent Metal Lives Here.
Welcome to the Clandestine Cuts!

Is independent, unsigned, and underground metal what you seek? Weary traveller of the metal world, rest here a while. Clandestine Cuts are the best demos and EPs from these bands, the heart and soul of metal music. These musicians are slaves to their passions, and their blood keeps the metal machine alive and turning. Support them with a simple listen, and discover the future.

Metal Storm users: you can vote in the poll below to choose your favourite demo/EP of the issue. The winners each year are nominated in our annual Metal Storm Awards so exercise your rights: this is the one category chosen completely by YOU the readers. Make sure your favourite independent metal is recognized each year!

(Think your band has what it takes to be featured in the Cuts? Email demos@metalstorm.net to submit your music.)

In case you're new at this, go back and enjoy our last few issues:

Clandestine Cuts Vol. 12 #2
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 12 #1
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 11 #12

And now to the new music...

Green King - Rock Alley Tapes (Finland)
[Stoner Metal | Heavy Metal]

The band is called Green King. Their digital EP costs 4.20€ at Bandcamp. They describe their music as “beer fueled stoner and heavy metal for all the trippers, tokers, hippies and followers of the left-hand path out there”. You get the point, don’t you? Rock Alley Tapes is some proto-heavy metal with a stoner attitude. One great thing about it is that the pace is not of the sluggish, usual borefest stoner, move-the-fuck-on-you-sloth-that-riff-is-not-even-that-good-to-play-for-2-minutes-straight kind. “Mistbreather” may sound more like typical stoner but “Dragon Lords” has this upbeat, dirty doom riff and Green King have many tricks up their sleeve, like an almost melodeath intro on “Until Rust Takes It All”, for example. In general, the riffs are mean and green, and the lead guitar work is outright killer - just check out the last minute and a half of “The Keeper”. A debut LP is on the way, so expect some more old-school heavy metal rolling a big fat one for you in the near future.

by nikarg

Winter’s Gate - The Voyage In Becoming (USA)
[Symphonic Deathcore | Melodic Death Metal]

Symphonic deathcore is very much an ‘in’ thing at the moment; however, the extent to which bands balance the two aspects can vary, from those that slap a few flourishes on top of a dark deathcore base (such as Worm Shepherd) to the likes of Shadow Of Intent fully fleshing out the symphonic side and taking the deathcore in a more melodic direction. Very much at the latter end of the spectrum come Winter’s Gate with their second EP, The Voyage In Becoming. The folk metal-influenced tone of this EP at times is closer to the grandeur of an Aephanemer or Equilibrium, with epic-minded backdrops and bright lead guitar melodies, yet at the same time there’s chunky breakdowns, gnarly technical deathcore riffs and a spirited roaring vocal performance. It’s a dazzling and majestic interpretation of the current trend in deathcore, and I would be surprised if this group remains unsigned for much longer.

by musclassia

Copse - Mara | Mondrem (UK)
[Blackgaze | Melodic Black Metal]

The most exciting copse since the one that Hamilton punted Verstappen off at, Bristol’s Copse make their debut with a two-track demonstration of the joys of blackgaze done right. It’s certainly on the harder-hitting end of the blackgaze/atmo-black spectrum; hitting a very similar tone early on to Abigail Williams’ “Black Waves”, “Mara” subsequently pushes forward into onslaughts of blast beats and pounding double bass rhythms. It’s a very single-minded song that subtly weaves melody within a relentless percussive barrage; “Mondrem” is slightly more varied, but still takes a similar approach. Compared with the bright shimmer of “Mara”, “Mondrem” is more melancholic, and features a punky post-hardcore edge alongside the sadly beautiful tremolo melodies and ballistic blasts. Mara | Mondrem doesn’t feature much downtime, operating at maximum energy pretty much constantly after the first couple of minutes of “Mara”, but the quality of the melodies and the subtle transitions keep it engaging through; Copse could be a real force in this sphere of metal if they carry on at this level.

by musclassia

In Ruins - Ruthless Portrait
[Death / Doom Metal]

When it comes to Romania's scene, and especially Timisoara's, most of the attention has been given to the three core members of Negură Bunget, but starting from there you have a couple of degrees of separation to a lot of bands. Andrei "Putrid" Jumugă and Dragos "Urmuz" Oichea might be familiar names for those that explored those degrees, as they've played in Argus Megere, Dordeduh, Ordinul Negru, and Syn Ze Sase Tri. What I find most surprising about Ruthless Portrait is that it feels more like an experiment out of the comfort zone, since Putrid is primarily a drummer, yet he plays bass and guitars here, while Urmuz has mostly had backing vocal duties now taking the lead. There's quite an endearing awkwardness to Ruthless Portrait that combines the very obvious skill that the people involved have with the uneasiness in performance. I can safely attest, that said uneasiness will be less and less of a factor with each In Ruins album henceforth.

by RaduP

Night Of The Vampire - Eternal Night (USA)
[Black Metal | Synthwave]

This little EP is a marriage between black metal and synthwave, and, as different as these genres are, I know many metalheads that enjoy both. Can they be enjoyed when put in a blender though? I don’t know if Night Of The Vampire’s Eternal Night has been influenced by The Night Eternal, the vampire horror novel by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan but what I do know is that it is a very successful mix of styles that doesn’t sound forced or gimmicky (*cough*Lamp Of Murmuur*cough*). Imagine a mash-up of Nosferatu and Knight Rider, in which Count Orlok is driving K.I.T.T. playing this EP in the cassette player. Or it could have easily been part of the score of American Horror Story 1984. If you are into ‘80s horror films, darkwave, post-punk, and catchy black metal, this is made for you.

by nikarg

Unhallow - Dæmonum (Sweden)
[Melodic Death Metal]

Now that we have In Aphelion, one might wonder what the other members of Necrophobic have been doing since the release of Dawn Of The Damned. Well, at least the drummer has not been idle either, as Unhallow is a new project of Necrophobic's Joakim Sterner and Robert Sennebäck, the very first vocalist and current guitarist of Dismember. If you expect ferociously fast melodic black/death metal à la Necrophobic paired with a fierce and take-no-prisoners approach on swedeath à la Dismember from the founding members of two of Sweden's oldest and finest extreme metal bands, you will be surprised, because the two veterans of the Scandinavian death metal scene take a direction on their first demo that has only little in common with the typical output of their main bands. Dæmonum represents a dark and doomy take on melodic death metal in slowed down speed, which reminds a bit of the early recordings of Tiamat and Cemetary, but is also reminiscent of Dæmonarch's criminally overlooked debut. Especially the keyboards performed by R. Sennebäck contribute to the very dense and eerie atmosphere, which could well serve as the soundtrack of a horror movie. In any case, if these two demo tracks are a foretaste of an upcoming full-length album, fans of this particular style should be very excited, because it would fill a gap in the musical landscape that no other band has been able to fill since Clouds and Godless Beauty, and that was more than 30 years ago.

by Starvynth

Poll

What's your favourite new release of this issue?

Login or register to vote. Results are hidden

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 97 users
10.04.2022 - 17:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Sad that green kings is not from Athens,....
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.04.2022 - 17:41
Nejde
CommunityManager
Usually there's always something that's not to my liking in the Clandestine Cuts but for the first time it's almost impossible to choose a favourite. Started at the top with Green King and instantly felt that this gets my vote this month Then I listened to Winter's Gate (damn it... things got trickier), then Copse (ooooh... this is nice), then In Ruin (hell yes, that's some doomy death), then Night Of The Vampire (horror 80's synth vibes ftw) and finally Unhallow (f***ing brilliant to no surprise considering the ones involved). After much deliberation with myself I decided to go with nikarg on this one because Night Of The Vampire is apparently made for me.
Looking forward to full lengths from all of the above
10.04.2022 - 23:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Let's talk about music... Not always that goes first is best, sometimes last wins... I voted for Last one.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.04.2022 - 09:54
Al-thor

Another great selection, my vote went to Unhallow but Green King and Night Of The Vampire really close.
12.04.2022 - 13:20
UnknownCheese

No vote on these guys.
12.04.2022 - 13:48
nikarg

Written by UnknownCheese on 12.04.2022 at 13:20

No vote on these guys.

Which guys?
12.04.2022 - 15:26
musclassia

I rather suspect given the band connections that Unhallow is going to do well this month, but I'm sticking by my picks as definitely the two best of this month. I'm giving my vote to Winter's Gate
12.04.2022 - 16:57
Callisto

My vote goes to Copse mostly for mondrem, the second song. Winter's Gate is pretty cool also.
13.04.2022 - 20:01
Tino99

So I'm fairly newly registered to the website (although I have wondered the pages as a nameless specter for quite some time) and always wondered what this whole "Clandestine Cuts" thing was all about. This is awesome! A truly unique way to find new music, I will be returning to this every month for sure! Having listened to all of these, they are all pretty high quality. I'm torn between Copse and Winter's Gate. Copse really surprised me as I'm not particularly a fan of Blackgaze, but those melancholic atmospheric melodies are just so damn good. And Winter's Gate really slams, a nice mix of symphonic deathcore and folk. Honorable mention to Green King, it was an enjoyable listen. A lot of stoner metal is endlessly boring 3 chord riffs, but they seem to have a pretty fresh sound. Here's to hoping all these talented bands get signed!
14.04.2022 - 00:35
nikarg

Written by Tino99 on 13.04.2022 at 20:01

So I'm fairly newly registered to the website (although I have wondered the pages as a nameless specter for quite some time) and always wondered what this whole "Clandestine Cuts" thing was all about. This is awesome! A truly unique way to find new music, I will be returning to this every month for sure!

Welcome to Metal Storm and thanks for checking the CCs out!
05.05.2022 - 17:06
MetalDoomMaster

Just going from the genre tags I expected to like Green King the least, but its actually my favorite here. The guitar and bass tones are fantastic.
02.06.2022 - 01:24
Elpeciss

I usually try to vote on these every month, and despite being a typically silent MS user, I couldn’t not throw my thoughts out to you guys on this one.

Y’all made this month’s real difficult to choose between. Each entry is quite different and each of them have something unique about the sound that makes them stand out from others in their respective genres. Green King just continues to rip after multiple listens, (unlike most other stoner metal I’ve listened to), and I am happily surprised how much Winter’s Gate impressed me. Night of the Vampire is of course very fun, and I look forward to hearing how the veterans in Unhallow and In Ruins continue to develop their sound. Both very solid and intriguing bands. The Necrophobic influence in Unhallow really comes through, which is fun for a melodeath band. Although I am a fan of other black gaze & melodic black bands, I am sad I enjoyed Copse the least.

Overall, excellent choices by the mods this month. 👏
02.06.2022 - 19:59
nikarg

Written by Elpeciss on 02.06.2022 at 01:24

I usually try to vote on these every month, and despite being a typically silent MS user, I couldn’t not throw my thoughts out to you guys on this one.

Thank you, we really appreciate that you chose the CCs for your first post here. The new issue will be up this Sunday, we hope you will enjoy it as much as this one!
06.06.2022 - 01:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Shit I was sure as hell that Night Of The Vampire would take my vote right away but this is easily one of the best issues I've heard in a while. I think every band brings something great to the table. Maybe less so with In Ruins which I unfortunately found a bit bland. Green King is groovy a fuck. Winter’s Gate sounds so professional already and are nailing the style. Copse might be not so original but the performance is top notch. Night Of The Vampire is tailored for my tastes and it' probably the band I want to hear more of. But then I listened to Unhallow that have this little somethingm in between groovy and melancholic. Damn!

Screw it. I'm going for Unhallow. It's been a while since I got interested in melodeath and thee guy found a formula that is really intriguing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.06.2022 - 22:05
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
My vote goes to Green King!
Quote:
"Dragon Lords” has this upbeat, dirty doom riff and Green King have many tricks up their sleeve,......A debut LP is on the way

Can't wait for the debut LP! This fun, groovy metal is right up my alley
02.12.2022 - 20:32
nikarg

Written by F3ynman2000 on 09.06.2022 at 22:05

My vote goes to Green King!
Can't wait for the debut LP! This fun, groovy metal is right up my alley

I just saw Blayne's Metal Monthly and his #1 pick was Green King's LP, which is getting released in two weeks. I had no idea it was coming out so soon, and the two tracks already available are very good!

Hits total: 3573 | This month: 11