09. Last Of Our Kind [feat. Matt Heafy, Erika Risinger and Johannes Bergion]
10. The Most Alone
11. The Path Of Fierce Resistance [Japanese bonus]

The Best Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal Album Of 2022
Top 20 albums of 2022: 8

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
The ‘halo effect’, roughly speaking, is a phenomenon whereby one’s positive impression of a given trait in a person, group or thing positively influences your overall opinion of said entity. I wonder whether this phenomenon may have some role to play in the initial response to The Halo Effect’s debut.

Read more ››
published 15.08.2022 | Comments (7)

Guest review by
lemme
Rating:
The very first sounds of the debut from Swedes The Halo Effect assured me that this is a project that will not disappoint me for sure. Drawing on the best models in the form of the musicians' main bands (In Flames, Dark Tranquility), an album was recorded that is almost painfully classic in its style.

Read more ››
published 22.09.2022 | Comments (1)

Found in 59 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 63   Visited by: 1111 users
13.04.2022 - 18:08
Rating: 7
Fred_P

"Shadowminds" was alright but I quite liked the other two singles. Looking forward to the album !
14.04.2022 - 21:12
CarlosBM

So far it sounds like Clayman In Flames with DT vocals, good IMO.
14.04.2022 - 21:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.05.2022 - 00:28
Rating: 10
rawb

I imagine this is what In flames would have sounded like if Stanne would have never left for DT. My ears are pleased from the first 3 tracks.
13.06.2022 - 18:55
Rating: 9
EloZ

It was time to hear something that sounded like real In Flames (even if a masterpiece like The Jester's race cannot be repeated today). Jesper has always been the soul of In Flames...welcome back!
12.08.2022 - 15:15
Rating: 8
nonZero

Album of the year so far IMO.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
12.08.2022 - 16:58
antvre

Holy shit i had no idea mikael stanne had a new band with old in flames members
12.08.2022 - 18:18
Nejde
CommunityManager
This is everything In Flames isn't anymore.
12.08.2022 - 19:33
Rating: 4
Overkill83

Too Generic for my taste!
12.08.2022 - 22:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Came right off the Children of Bodom glove and start punching. Found "Conditional" an only excellent banger here.
12.08.2022 - 23:02
rawb

Solid album from them, looking forward to the next release, they are already working on it.
12.08.2022 - 23:04
Blindearth

Fuck!!! This is amazing!!! I am expecting more albums from this band and to see them live of course
12.08.2022 - 23:21
Loboplomo

One of the best albums this year hands down! Amazing! 🤘🔥
13.08.2022 - 01:21
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
It's a decent album, but for me it's nothing special. It sounds like Gothenburg metal has made a solid return back to it's old true form as Dark Tranquillity and old In Flames reunite.There's nothing original about this, the songwriting is pretty generic tbh, the melodies are so simple but effective. It's not the best these guys can deliver, but it's a good starting point.
13.08.2022 - 04:28
Fred_P

"The needless end", "Conditional" and "Last of our kind" are bangers. The rest ranges from "okay" to "pretty good". Will rate after a few more spins.
13.08.2022 - 18:10
JÄY
Metal slave
Well it's not as good as the best from either of the bands they take members from but it really is great
13.08.2022 - 19:04
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
An excellent Gothenburg Metal album, as expected!
13.08.2022 - 22:16
frequenzangriff

Yeah, the bands name and the music are somewhat generic like a cover band made from friends that love inflames and dark tranquility and decided to mix them both, and this is awesome!
It is really great and pleasent to listen to some plain old gothenburg metal, "Days Of The Lost" is trully wicked album!

IMHO, some things just dont have change or evolve,one of them is melodic death metal and their genres

really hope they keep doing just this kind of music \m/
13.08.2022 - 22:56
Redel

Better than I expected it to be.
13.08.2022 - 23:36
SebaRaven36

The album is brutal !
great debut of the band
14.08.2022 - 01:41
Rating: 6
chomskeet

I dunno, pretty mediocre and uninspired imo, sounds like derivative DT/IF MDM, which judging by the members makes sense, but doesn't really make this anything different or special. It's not bad, but not really good either. The score of this album seems inflated and imo one would be much better served just listening to Jester Race or The Gallery if they want their Gothenburg fix
14.08.2022 - 16:46
Pavel_K

What makes this album so irresistible (to me, at least) is the strength of its individual songs. They may not be breaking any new ground with this record, but with tunes so fine and unlike each other you don't really have to.
I love it how seamlessly they combined the streamlined melodic assault of In Flames' glory days with Stanne's trademark razor sharp, rhythmically vibrant approach to create something familiar and yet something so fresh. Thank you for this, gentlemen. A much needed haven in troubled times.
14.08.2022 - 17:20
Rating: 6
Metal Rasputin

I don't know, I just don't feel this one. While the songwriting is good, the complete lack of originality and creativity seriously hurts it. The production sounds way too polished for my taste, especially the guitar tone. IMO more crispy, raw and cutting tone similar to Slaughter of the Soul and Jester Race for example suits this type of music way better, but that's probably just me.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
14.08.2022 - 18:17
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Metal Rasputin on 14.08.2022 at 17:20

The production sounds way too polished for my taste, especially the guitar tone. IMO more crispy, raw and cutting tone similar to Slaughter of the Soul and Jester Race for example fits this type of music way better, but that's probably just me.

Naah, there are at least three of us: you, me - and Mikael Stanne.

What in our lives
Brought us to this point
This new direction
That shifts and turns forevermore
Where is the fire
Where is the spark

(from "The Needless End")

But seriously now, this is much better than I feared expected it to be. While not truly great, it's more than decent when compared to DT's and IF's latest works.
----
signatures = SPAM
15.08.2022 - 02:16
hebeleyn

A great start from great guys. Solid album! Already on top of my Albums of the Year list. Very excited for their next records.
15.08.2022 - 12:27
Rating: 5
BCI

Cookie-cutter / power / melodeath
Entirely boring, generic and uninspired
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
15.08.2022 - 12:45
terroriser

Written by BCI on 15.08.2022 at 12:27

Cookie-cutter / power / melodeath
Entirely boring, generic and uninspired

This is what melodeath needed after years of drought. Those guys built the bridge over last 2 decades that were completely lost. I am very grateful for their music. Minus one star for clean vocals though
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA
15.08.2022 - 13:03
HollowHills

Is this album AI generated?
I mean, their music hasn't changed since Character. I think it would be fair to say if it's AI...
----
May the meow force be with you
15.08.2022 - 15:51
boo-boo

Written by Starvynth on 14.08.2022 at 18:17

But seriously now, this is much better than I feared expected it to be. While not truly great, it's more than decent when compared to DT's and IF's latest works.

Still, DM's Atoma is a pretty solid album in my book.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
15.08.2022 - 17:58
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by rawb on 18.05.2022 at 00:28

I imagine this is what In flames would have sounded like if Stanne would have never left for DT. My ears are pleased from the first 3 tracks.

Stanne was in DT as the guitarist before he recorded Lunar Strain. He had planned to switch to vocals and did the In Flames record to get more studio experience. But he really was just a session vocalist for In Flames, never an official member.

Hits total: 16820 | This month: 39