03. Heidrun
04. Oden Owns You All
05. Find A Way Or Make One
06. Dawn Of Norsemen
07. Saxons And Vikings [feat. Biff Byford]
08. Skagul Rides With Me
09. The Serpent's Trail

Additional info
Produced, mixed and mastered at Backstage Productions, Derbyshire, England.

Staff review by
Netzach
Rating:
A shoddily conducted, atrociously produced, unamusing raid. All that glitters is not gold.

Read more ››
published 03.08.2022 | Comments (32)

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 39   Visited by: 828 users
02.06.2022 - 09:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.06.2022 - 11:55
Rating: 6
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I'm expecting it to be more or less the same as Berserker, but I hope I'm wrong, I will listen to it anyway because it's Amon Amarth and I usually enjoy them anyway.
02.06.2022 - 12:01
Rating: 5
FeskarN

The new song was ok. No good hooks sadly.
That kind of artwork you dont usually see in a metal band. Using a photograph and photoshop. Not my taste..
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
02.06.2022 - 12:02
Rating: 7
nonZero

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 02.06.2022 at 11:55

I'm expecting it to be more or less the same as Berserker, but I hope I'm wrong, I will listen to it anyway because it's Amon Amarth and I usually enjoy them anyway.

Agreed. Feels like they've run out of ideas over the last decade or so. Still, they are great fun to listen to!
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
02.06.2022 - 14:59
Ryanm123

Since Jomsviking they have just sounded like they're playing on autopilot. Maybe asking for structural variety in an AA album is laughable but they have the musical skill to write better songs.
02.06.2022 - 15:54
Rating: 3
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Interesting that they've released a single that is not included on the album.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.06.2022 - 18:05
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.06.2022 at 15:54

Interesting that they've released a single that is not included on the album.

Which one?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
02.06.2022 - 21:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by RaduP on 02.06.2022 at 18:05

Which one?

I mean I guess “Put Your Back Into The Oar” could be a standalone single, but that’s a little strange IMO when releasing an album so close to it.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.06.2022 - 20:27
s_t_s

Written by nonZero on 02.06.2022 at 12:02

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 02.06.2022 at 11:55

Agreed. Feels like they've run out of ideas over the last decade or so. Still, they are great fun to listen to!

To be honest with Jomsvking I usually grew tired of that band. Previous albums always brought that huge wave of viking energy and then, nothing but boredom? I still enjoy listening to Twilight of the thunder gods, Surtur rising and the likes but for me this band is over.
08.06.2022 - 04:56
Jared Archon

One of my favorite bands has fallen so far...
09.06.2022 - 04:29
Cthulu

Amon Amarth is a rare band where all of their songs sound the same, but I still like them.
05.08.2022 - 15:08
Overkill83

Thank god i didn't pre-ordered this shit!!.Horrible album
05.08.2022 - 15:45
Jared Archon

This whole thing is so painfully low-effort. You can tell they only come up with one simple idea per song.
05.08.2022 - 16:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
The sheep BAAAAAA-ing is the only interesting moment on this entire album.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.08.2022 - 16:49
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Well I've given this a few shots, and yep another so so album, which means you can at least call this band consistent. With no surprise the songwriting is ok, but generic and quite predictable. The riffs have the usual run of the mill melodies, which means in a way it's still catchy and entertaining, and enoughto keep you hooked. The production though is very weak, even by AA standards, the guitars sound flat, and the vocals are also much weaker than ever before.

"Heidrun", and "Dawn Of Norsemen" are fairly entertaining songs, the stands outs for me I guess? But the rest of the album is just dull to me. I'm not sure yet if this is overall their worst release, it could well be this or Jormsviking imo, I would most certainly say it's their most uninspiring, and certainty their softest to date.

The main thing for them though is at least they've stayed true ato theur Viking theme and the music has bee consistent enough to still sell out large arena's to their huge fan base. I'm sorry to admit, but this is the first AA release that I have zero interest in buying.
05.08.2022 - 19:50
Fred_P

On a first listen, no tracks made an impression, except for "Dawn of Norsemen" which had a bit of that old heroic riffing that I dig. Other than that, it's average. Like really average. I kinda liked "The Serpent's Trail", but much like "The Great Heathen Army", it feels like it is building up to something but it never gets there. Oh well. The old albums aren't going anywhere so I'lll stil have those.
06.08.2022 - 06:13
Grouch Douglas
Enigma
I thought Jomsviking was one of their best albums. It might be because it's a concept album or because it had the drummer from Vomitory .I didn't like Berserker very much, I must admit I'm a little afraid to listen to this album based on the reception it's getting on here....
06.08.2022 - 09:18
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Seeing an Amon Amarth album having an average user rating under 7 pleases me.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.08.2022 - 14:23
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by RaduP on 06.08.2022 at 09:18

Seeing an Amon Amarth album having an average user rating under 7 pleases me.

And in all honesty this deserves an average rating.
06.08.2022 - 19:52
SebaRaven36

The truth is that I didn't find the album as bad as many comment it's clear that it's a little weaker than their previous ones but I enjoyed it a lot from beginning to end and that song with Biff Byford is incredible, it should be noted that although it's a softer album, Amon Amarth has never lost the nordic essence in their music.
06.08.2022 - 22:44
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
The rating perplexes me tbh. Jomsviking was worse and this is on par with the last release...if not slightly better. Still sad to see they are on autopilot as someone mentioned above.
07.08.2022 - 07:20
Rating: 1
What a shitty and pointless release. They must be disbanded after this album
07.08.2022 - 07:49
EricAxel36

Better than the Berserker, the last half of this album is actually listenable. Hate the first few songs that are boring and go nowhere, the last 4 or 5 songs are decent. Skagul Rides With Me might be the highlight. Going to have to listen through a couple more times.
07.08.2022 - 11:32
Shamppy

A legendary review to which I don't agree in the slightest. If we keep looking for Death Metal in Amon Amarth we are in for a world of pain, but I don't think that's what they are striving for since Surtur Rising. They are a heavy metal band with guttural vocals now, and they excel at it. Heavy ≠ Necessarily good
07.08.2022 - 17:51
metalbrat

After 'TttG' they are on a decline and the rating of this album is not at all unprecedented. Surprised why it took 4 more albums to reach here but i too am a reason for it as a great fan, never wanted to rate them less. Even for this album i dont want to rate them as already they are in red. Sad.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
08.08.2022 - 00:20
Chumb

Very disapointing! Refreshing to hear Biff from Saxon amongst all the growling (which just sounds as the same over and over again).
08.08.2022 - 13:49
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by Shamppy on 07.08.2022 at 11:32

A legendary review to which I don't agree in the slightest. If we keep looking for Death Metal in Amon Amarth we are in for a world of pain, but I don't think that's what they are striving for since Surtur Rising. They are a heavy metal band with guttural vocals now, and they excel at it. Heavy ≠ Necessarily good

Would've been easier to find this comment if you posted in on my actual review page I'm glad to find someone who disagrees, so feel free to share what you disagree with.

Just want to point out that I had no expectations before hearing the album, since I'd barely ever listened to the band at all. I then backtracked and listened to earlier stuff of theirs to see how it compares, and especially the production was very different on their more classic albums. You're probably right that they're more heavy than death, but I think even a heavy metal album (growls or no growls) shouldn't have this weak audio production. I don't know about you, but the drums overpower everything and the guitars and vox are barely audible, and that's just no fun at all.
10.08.2022 - 01:49
Rating: 9
ODMR12

I could not disagree more with the several "autopilot" remarks. To me, Amon Amarth is the perfect example of a band who created a style and mastered it to perfection. At this point in their 30 years career, Amon Amarth consists of amazing melodies and the best voice in Death metal. Although I agree that the vocals are probably the only element of death metal left in the band, in no way do I see that as a weakness. All tracks on this album have an element that make them stand out which cannot be said of most releases. I'm convinced they will sound amazing in a packed arena as well and I cannot wait to raise my horn with Amon Amarth!
10.08.2022 - 21:30
pope.88

I still can't put a vote on it, but I'm pretty sure I like it quite more than the last few albums. They dropped that usual "epic" tone, for one that reminds me a lot more the Vs the World era, and that's definetively a plus, since I've found the last albums quite boring and commercial... Didn't expect this change...
10.08.2022 - 23:13
Rating: 9
Dorian75

After 4 complete spins of the album, I can say it is a GREAT one. In the first listen I wasn't focused and it seemed to me like something generic. But from the second listening and on I understood its power and tasted all its flavors. The first four songs are simply good. The album starts from the fourth track Oden Owns You All. From this point till the end it is a NON STOP ALBUM
05. Find A Way Or Make One ---great
06. Dawn Of Norsemen--- the best track on the album
07. Saxons And Vikings [feat. Biff Byford]-- I love this one, Biff Byford nails it
08. Skagul Rides With Me--- great
09. The Serpent's Trail--- oh yeah

No, I will not say that is better than some older all-time classic amon amarth's albums but it is a great one. More straightforward with plenty of well-made hooks.

Hits total: 10195 | This month: 57