Metal Storm logo
Megadeth - The Sick, The Dying... And The Dead!

7.6 | 418 votes |
Release date: 2 September 2022
Style: Heavy metal, Thrash metal

Owners:

169 have it
32 want it

01. The Sick, The Dying... And The Dead!
02. Life In Hell
03. Night Stalkers [feat. Ice-T]
04. Dogs Of Chernobyl
05. Sacrifice
06. Junkie
07. Psychopathy
08. Killing Time
09. Soldier On!
10. Célebutante
11. Mission To Mars
12. We'll Be Back
13. Police Truck [Dead Kennedys cover] [digital edition bonus]
14. This Planet’s On Fire (Burn In Hell) [Sammy Hagar cover] [feat. Sammy Hagar] [digital edition bonus]

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Perhaps not an album to talk about in your local hospital.

Read more ››
published 11.09.2022 | Comments (14)

Found in 34 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 4

Comments: 106   Visited by: 981 users
10.09.2022 - 12:58
Rating: 6
musclassia
Staff
Written by lust on 10.09.2022 at 12:28

If I listen to an album and think it's not for me, I don't vote at all. becuse its not for me(simply)
So I don't like nu metal, but I can't go and give a 1 point to nu metal albums, do i have right for this?

You may not like this album, but you cannot explain me the ratings of 6 points or less. so i didnt care about metal strom rating system and its not fair imo.

By this logic, nobody should ever rate music negatively, they should only ever rate music that they like. That way, we can make sure that every album ever has a positive rating, and all music everywhere can be considered good, with the knock-on effact that all music is equal, and nobody has to put any effort into creating music, because all music is automatically good: that sounds perfectand very fair to the people who actually put serious effort into crafting great and creative music.

This is a terrible mindset - it's impossible for there to be appreciation of how good the best music is unless there's recognition that there's music that is not as good, and while appreciation of music is subjective, there's a clear ability to find consensus on it, otherwise there wouldn't be any albums widely hailed as classics. Without a range of ratings, Master of Puppets would be equal to St. Anger, and Powerslave would be equal to Virtual XI. More close to home, it would make Rust In Peace equal to Risk - maybe you do think that Hangar 18 and Breadline are equally good songs, I don't know, but I don't think it would be at all unfair for one person to say the former is excellent and the latter is decidedly not excellent.

Additionally, when it comes to this album, a lot of the people listening to it and having mixed emotions towards it are people who have previously liked Megadeth albums, and they consider this album weaker than those that they've enjoyed, whether it's due to the songs not having as hooky riffs/choruses, or the vocals feeling weaker, or whatever other reason. It's not like it's someone diving into a form of music that is completely avant-garde and alien to them; there's no question of not being able to 'get it', they get it and just don't like it. There's also going to be Megadeth fans who get it and do like it, and that's completely fine, but they're not the holder of the one truth; both views are equally valid as long as they're justified by coherent arguments instead of blind loving/hating.

It seems like you can recognize this to some degree - a quick look at your profile shows that you've given a score of 6 or lower to 10% of the albums you've rated on this site (including a 1 to a System Of A Down single, so maye you do go and give a 1 point to nu metal albums, although I rather suspect that's a politically motivated rating, which is far less justifiable than someone giving Megadeth a 6 because they doesn't think the album is that great). There's people out there (not me) who would be baffled that someone could give Exercises In Futility a 6, and tbh they'd be more justified than someone baffled that this album is being rated with a score of 6.
10.09.2022 - 13:31
Rating: 5
Redel
People just seem to be used to the like buttons from other social media. Either you hit the button or you dont. You then count the number of likes to figure out which album is more appreciated. No dislikes, no negative vibes, just feel good. Not that I am advocating for this, just observing and interpreting.
10.09.2022 - 15:59
Rating: 9
Coolingsrock
The Sick, The Dying... And The Dead! { they brought back the 3 dots! }
On my first listen I liked it. Then on my 3rd listen I thought it was great. After 5 I was hooked and in love. It's easily their best since The System Has Failed and has the speed of their first 4 records (in a good majority of the tracks). It's not flawless though with a few questionable lyric choices and nothing too deep, which is unfortunate given all of the drama of the world today. But the songs have tons of energy with riffs and solos that are so tasty with a good mix of thrash and heavy metal. Might be the Megadeths best post 2000's album...who knows!
10.09.2022 - 16:18
Rating: 7
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by musclassia on 10.09.2022 at 12:58

By this logic, nobody should ever rate music negatively, they should only ever rate music that they like. That way, we can make sure that every album ever has a positive rating, and all music everywhere can be considered good, with the knock-on effact that all music is equal, and nobody has to put any effort into creating music, because all music is automatically good: that sounds perfectand very fair to the people who actually put serious effort into crafting great and creative music.

This is a terrible mindset - it's impossible for there to be appreciation of how good the best music is unless there's recognition that there's music that is not as good, and while appreciation of music is subjective, there's a clear ability to find consensus on it, otherwise there wouldn't be any albums widely hailed as classics. Without a range of ratings, Master of Puppets would be equal to St. Anger, and Powerslave would be equal to Virtual XI. More close to home, it would make Rust In Peace equal to Risk - maybe you do think that Hangar 18 and Breadline are equally good songs, I don't know, but I don't think it would be at all unfair for one person to say the former is excellent and the latter is decidedly not excellent.

Additionally, when it comes to this album, a lot of the people listening to it and having mixed emotions towards it are people who have previously liked Megadeth albums, and they consider this album weaker than those that they've enjoyed, whether it's due to the songs not having as hooky riffs/choruses, or the vocals feeling weaker, or whatever other reason. It's not like it's someone diving into a form of music that is completely avant-garde and alien to them; there's no question of not being able to 'get it', they get it and just don't like it. There's also going to be Megadeth fans who get it and do like it, and that's completely fine, but they're not the holder of the one truth; both views are equally valid as long as they're justified by coherent arguments instead of blind loving/hating.

It seems like you can recognize this to some degree - a quick look at your profile shows that you've given a score of 6 or lower to 10% of the albums you've rated on this site (including a 1 to a System Of A Down single, so maye you do go and give a 1 point to nu metal albums, although I rather suspect that's a politically motivated rating, which is far less justifiable than someone giving Megadeth a 6 because they doesn't think the album is that great). There's people out there (not me) who would be baffled that someone could give Exercises In Futility a 6, and tbh they'd be more justified than someone baffled that this album is being rated with a score of 6.

You nailed it with this comment, I've always had a personal obsession with rankings and ratings especially when it comes to metal, it helps me understand and remember what I've already listened to so I can rank my personal favourites in order myself. It also helps me understand the likes and dislikes from others, which to me is important as it allows me to see who has similar interests and tastes to me, making it easier to share album discoveries between each other.

And of all the sites I still find MS the most reliable and consistent source for sharing and discovering, and it also has a fairly accurate ranking system. What I also like is the fact rating abuse has a zero tolerance and they get quickly clamped down on.

Sorry for being completely off topic from this album.
11.09.2022 - 09:05
metalbrat
To those who complain Dave's vocal chord, can you ever imagine a single track of Megadeth through another vocal chord?... Would you accept it as a Megadeth song .... I dont know about you guys but for me his voice is the signature whether it has been affected ...dont give a shit....
Personally this album is not up to Dystopia but really have some good riffs and leads but somewhere missing the thrashiness and punch and there is no particular standout single.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
11.09.2022 - 09:09
metalbrat
Btw , i couldn't digest the singles when it came out and I was expecting a worser experience but to be frank, the whole album seems to be ok when heard together.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
11.09.2022 - 09:34
Rating: 9
sgtrobo
Written by A Real Mönkey on 05.09.2022 at 18:08

I can’t believe a Megadeth album is the most polarizing thing on this site right now.

Megadeth has been one of the most polarizing bands in metal for a good 30+ years now. Nothing surprising at all.

tracks 6-8 drag the album down a good bit. Easily the worst chunk on the album. Otherwise, every other song on here is either "very good" (Life in Hell, Célebutante), or an absolute ass-kicker (We'll Be Back, Soldier On, and the FUCKING SAMMY HAGAR COVER?!?!?! #Wat???)
11.09.2022 - 19:26
A Real Mönkey
The covers are definitely shocking highlights. That Police Truck cover kinda fucking rules. Just like the Fear cover from the previous album and when they covered songs on their first few albums: Stupid fun.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
12.09.2022 - 18:25
Theoran
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 10.09.2022 at 16:18

Written by musclassia on 10.09.2022 at 12:58

*SNIP*

You nailed it with this comment, I've always had a personal obsession with rankings and ratings especially when it comes to metal, it helps me understand and remember what I've already listened to so I can rank my personal favourites in order myself. It also helps me understand the likes and dislikes from others, which to me is important as it allows me to see who has similar interests and tastes to me, making it easier to share album discoveries between each other.

And of all the sites I still find MS the most reliable and consistent source for sharing and discovering, and it also has a fairly accurate ranking system. What I also like is the fact rating abuse has a zero tolerance and they get quickly clamped down on.

Sorry for being completely off topic from this album.

These are both such well written and some up my feelings as well. I love ratings and I am pretty generous when I rate albums as evidence by all the 10sWhen I see reviews or ratings similar to my own I often check out their collections.

Back to the album, I went in ready for a great album and was left impressed with Kiko and Dave's playing and Dirk's drumming but for me the singles are the highlights and not representative of the rest of the mid-tempo album. I liked the ending of Dogs Of Chernobyl, and enjoyed Life in Hell and Célebutante but everything else was just not hitting for me. Then again, I'm not a big fan of Countdown, which may be why I'm not that into this album as much as I wanted to be. Megadeth was my band growing up. I got Peace Sells, Ride the Lightning, and Powerslave cassette tapes for Christmas in 88 and my 11 year old self had found his music. I ditched my Poison, Bon Jovi, Quiet Riot, and Def Leppard tapes and never returned.
14.09.2022 - 04:09
Yeah
cover art 10/10 <3
17.09.2022 - 15:51
AndreMarcos
The albums has some good moments for sure, We’ll Be Back was the highlight for me even thought the chorus is a little beat weak, but the album also has so much fluff material that i can't give it more than a 6 or a 7.
21.09.2022 - 16:10
metalbrat
Written by Theoran on 12.09.2022 at 18:25
Megadeth was my band growing up. I got Peace Sells, Ride the Lightning, and Powerslave cassette tapes for Christmas in 88 and my 11 year old self had found his music. I ditched my Poison, Bon Jovi, Quiet Riot, and Def Leppard tapes and never returned.

Seems we are on the same age group....ive been moving from one genre to more heavier genres for last 35 years but i never ditched the older ones completely. I always revisit Bon Jovis and Def Leppards... #
----
12.11.2022 - 10:43
Hooman
Just please bring Chris Broderick back and make another Endgame.
23.06.2023 - 11:02
tintinb
Don't mind the album too much. This is standard Megadeth. My favourite song will have to be soldier on.
----
Leeches everywhere.
12.08.2023 - 14:21
Jack_Torrance
I wouldn't call it a great album, but it certainly was a lot better than I expected.
23.12.2023 - 12:06
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Haven’t listened to this yet and haven’t genuinely enjoyed a Megadeth album since Endgame. Do it succ or nah?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 16499 | This month: 125