Jørn Lande - vocals
Eric Martin - vocals
Ralf Scheepers - vocals
Geoff Tate - vocals
Oliver Hartmann - additional guitars, backing vocals
Herbie Langhans - backing vocals
Ina Morgan - backing vocals

Additional info
Written by Tobias Sammet. Produced by Tobias Sammet and Sascha Paeth.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Perhaps I’ve been scarred by Rob Zombie: I’ve come to expect that when the title of a band’s new album reaches 16 syllables, it suggests a diversion of creative resources from the music. I’ll always have more patience for Avantasia than most bands, but their ninth opera doesn’t totally dispel my prejudice.

Read more ››
published 20.11.2022 | Comments (6)

Found in 20 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 527 users
29.06.2022 - 14:25
Rating: 7
24emd
Theory Snob
Finally!! Can't wait for this!! Enjoying both singles a lot.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
30.06.2022 - 20:53
Nate612

Im hoping this wont just be a copy and paste album like the last few
13.07.2022 - 16:52
Rating: 8
IcePickLodger

The first and the second singles - both are great, especially The Wicked Rule The Night, Scheepers delivering tons of energy again!
27.08.2022 - 15:39
blindg

Not too excited about the guests, especially Eric Martin. Same old gang.
22.10.2022 - 18:45
Rating: 6
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Sure it has it's epic moments, and I really like the bag pipes towards the end of the final track, but sadly I'm not feeling the album as a whole, it seems to be lacking that early Avantasia magic. Maybe it's just me
23.10.2022 - 00:38
24emd
Theory Snob
I totally understand Andy's point of view here, even being a late-Avantasia fan like me, it's lacking something. Nonetheless, I still managed to enjoy most tracks. I really like most of the choruses and vocals (even though the harmonies get a bit weird here and there). A few problems with this one are the guitar solos, (this might just be me) it seems they've gone back to the generic, almost sloppy style of the Wicked Trilogy. Moonglow and Ghostlights were huge steps up in the soloing and this seems to lose that. Something feels weird with the production, and I also really miss the key changes.
But in all, even though it sounds negative, I liked this album. Definitely not his best, but not his worst.

Edit: I went back through their entire post-metal opera discography, so this is my ranking.
1. Moonglow
2. Ghostlights
3. A Paranormal Evening...
4. Mystery of Time
5. The Wicked Symphony
6. The Scarecrow
7. Angel of Babylon
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
24.10.2022 - 02:00
Nothing more than just a "good"/acceptable" album. Way too anticipatedly hyped by Tobias, EVERY SINGLE DAY on the official page in Facebook, saying it would be Avantasia's greatest disc ever. I hoped for something like Metal Opera Pt. III, but it has the same formula from the last 3 records. A big letdown.
24.10.2022 - 15:27
Eduard0

It's funny because when Moonglow was released I didn't like it very much, I thought there was too much happening, it was too long, kind of an overproduction. Now, this album seems to be the opposite... something is missing! It does have great moments, sure, but overall to my ears it sounds more like a collection of songs that were put together.
I must say Moonglow has really grown on me (although Ghotlights is my all-time favorite album) so I'm interested in what the future holds for A Paranormal Evening.
24.10.2022 - 16:46
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Leading up to this album, Tobi kept saying it was his best yet. I know artists always say this, but he seemed to genuinely believe this.

Well, IMO, he was very wrong. Not a bad album, but this pales in comparison to Ghostlights, and even Moonglow. Older fans will be pleased with the fact it leans more into the Power Metal sound of the earlier albums, but overall I found a lot of the songs to fall flat - the melodies just simply aren't as strong on this one.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
24.10.2022 - 22:31
Dorian75

Enjoyable album, with good songs, and a strongly AOR feeling especially in the choruses, more radio-friendly than the previous ones, but easily listenable positively.
06.11.2022 - 14:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Best songs Wicked rules the night, and I Tame the storm.
Wicked rules the night is best and heaviest song, that Tobias Stammet and Jens Ludvig ever has written Yes its even better as old Edguy what is better as Avantasia. Classic band sound here soft vibes whit melodic music and food vocal cocktail here, album what gets better N better after listening few times
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.11.2022 - 16:35
Rating: 9
iMorphball

Strange to see this being Avantasia's weakest album overall considering how much better this is than the Wicked Symphony or Angel of Babylon. I guess people are just harsher these days.
21.11.2022 - 19:33
Itoc
Trønder
This is has strangely become one of the most addictive Avantasia albums despite being the poorest average review so far haha!
I've been listening since The Scarecrow, and each release have been decent but I have honestly like almost every song in the album since The Scarecrow.
By no means a revolutionary album in the Power Metal/Metal Opera scene, but I think it's a solid 8-9 banger.
22.12.2022 - 20:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It wasn't the love at first sight/hear, but I start to like it more and more.

But it is also true that is "just another Ava's album". Metal Opera used to blow my mind away. Since then, I keep getting "average" albums with only a couple of memorable tracks on each. No matter how good and enjoyable the individual tracks are, it is not the same.
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.08.2023 - 03:21
tintinb

Nice power metal album with a really strong second half. Loved the song, paper planes. Also very very impressed with the animated music video, the animation style fitting perfectly with avantasia's music.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 7157 | This month: 44