04. Abide The Storm
05. Longhope
06. Nine Days
07. From The Embers
08. The Brook

The Best Progressive Metal Album Of 2022
Top 20 albums of 2022: 2

Additional info
Mixed by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios.
Mastering by Tony Lindgren.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Disillusion dropped their previous album one week after Fear Inoculum, following a gap in releases almost as long as Tool’s infamous hiatus. Thankfully, it’s been a much shorter wait to hear what they had in store for us next.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2022 | Comments (15)

Found in 40 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 45   Visited by: 860 users
09.08.2022 - 12:09
Rating: 9
Ruisdier
First song is really fucking good. So hyped for this, The Liberation is one of my favourite albums of all time
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7014
AOTY 2022
09.08.2022 - 12:58
Rating: 8
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Ruisdier on 09.08.2022 at 12:09

First song is really fucking good. So hyped for this, The Liberation is one of my favourite albums of all time

It really is, reminds me of their early stuff with The Porter but also The Liberation. I love it already.
----
10.08.2022 - 17:32
Zap
If Am Abgrund is anything to go by then this will be another great album.
20.09.2022 - 10:20
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Got "Driftwood"'s live premiere last night (quite a great surprise!), and for now the three songs are different but all great!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.11.2022 - 14:22
Jacob Butcher
Actually this is miles ahead of similar albums this year for me. Reminds me more of Wilderun than Persefone, Kardashev or others.
04.11.2022 - 18:40
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
One of the most interesting progressive metal releases this year. The songwriting is⁹ great, an there's some tasty guitarwork particularly the solo's. And very much like the clean vocal choruses.

"Longhope" is a clear stand out for me, such a phenomenally constructed song, the title track and the closing section of "Nine Days" also stood out for me, overall a terrific album
05.11.2022 - 17:16
terroriser
Amongst recent progressive epidemy this one is actually quite good and keeps me listening to it. Having in mind that I got severe prog allergy ever since one particular band betrayed me, that says a lot about how good this album is
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA
05.11.2022 - 17:21
JoHn Doe
Written by terroriser on 05.11.2022 at 17:16

Amongst recent progressive epidemy this one is actually quite good and keeps me listening to it. Having in mind that I got severe prog allergy ever since one particular band betrayed me, that says a lot about how good this album is

what's a "progressive epidemy"?
What band betrayed you? I imagine it was Opeth, I could be wrong.

"severe prog allergy"? wow, now that's an insult.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
05.11.2022 - 17:25
terroriser
Written by JoHn Doe on 05.11.2022 at 17:21

Written by terroriser on 05.11.2022 at 17:16

what's a "progressive epidemy"?
What band betrayed you? I imagine it was Opeth, I could be wrong.

"severe prog allergy"? wow, now that's an insult.

Yes it was Opeth. I have sent back Heritage asking for money back and them bunch of C U Next Tuesdays didn't.
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA
05.11.2022 - 17:26
terroriser
And look at top 20 list. This is prog epidemy
----
05.11.2022 - 17:29
JoHn Doe
Written by terroriser on 05.11.2022 at 17:25

Yes it was Opeth. I have sent back Heritage asking for money back and them bunch of C U Next Tuesdays didn't.

I enjoy Heritage quite a bit. I even enjoy it more than what came after. It's like they wanted to be a heavier The Flower Kings or something. Listenable in small doses.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
05.11.2022 - 17:36
terroriser
Written by JoHn Doe on 05.11.2022 at 17:29

I enjoy Heritage quite a bit. I even enjoy it more than what came after. It's like they wanted to be a heavier The Flower Kings or something. Listenable in small doses.

Heritage was betrayal on scale only slightly smaller than Black Album.

I was so disappointed and angry when I listened to it for the first time. Since that day I took great dislike of prog and it takes truly exeptional piece of it to make me listen to it longer than 2 tracks
----
05.11.2022 - 17:45
JoHn Doe
Written by terroriser on 05.11.2022 at 17:36

I was so disappointed and angry when I listened to it for the first time. Since that day I took great dislike of prog and it takes truly exeptional piece of it to make me listen to it longer than 2 tracks

I could never dismiss a whole genre of music because I disliked or was disappointed by an album or one artist (and believe me I was). That's an overreaction if there ever was one.
----
05.11.2022 - 17:58
terroriser
Written by JoHn Doe on 05.11.2022 at 17:45

Written by terroriser on 05.11.2022 at 17:36

I could never dismiss a whole genre of music because I disliked or was disappointed by an album or one artist (and believe me I was). That's an overreaction if there ever was one.

Its trauma not overreaction

And yes one can dismiss whole genre take power metal for example
----
05.11.2022 - 18:10
JoHn Doe
Written by terroriser on 05.11.2022 at 17:58

Trauma for a disappointment with an artist's album? Again, I think you are overreacting.
Yes, you can dismiss a genre, I cannot, makes little sense to me to do such a thing.

Power metal? I'm fine with most US Power bands, if I enjoy the vocals (I am picky, I'll admit that).
Euro-power - I listen little of it anyway. I'm fine with occasional or rare surprisingly good artist/album, here and there.
----
05.11.2022 - 18:50
terroriser
Written by JoHn Doe on 05.11.2022 at 18:10

Written by terroriser on 05.11.2022 at 17:58

Trauma for a disappointment with an artist's album? Again, I think you are overreacting.
Yes, you can dismiss a genre, I cannot, makes little sense to me to do such a thing.

Power metal? I'm fine with most US Power bands, if I enjoy the vocals (I am picky, I'll admit that).
Euro-power - I listen little of it anyway. I'm fine with occasional or rare surprisingly good artist/album, here and there.

I guessed with have to agree to disagree. At least on a subject of traumas and overreactions

On a power metal note. I can't help it I cannot take this type of music seriously. It's so full of cheese. There is only one band I respect and not because of their music but their skills
----
05.11.2022 - 19:39
Rating: 10
Master_Key
Well … This album is too good to be true. 🤯

Seriously, it‘s perfection. And not just that, it makes most things better than similar bands, combined with exceptional and ADDICTING songwriting. I don‘t think that there is any valid objective criticism possible for this.

The heavy songs kick serious ass and the softer tunes are better than everything from the new Porcupine Tree record.

Wilderun, Persefone, PT, bend the knee. ☝️
05.11.2022 - 20:12
JoHn Doe
Written by terroriser on 05.11.2022 at 18:50

I guessed with have to agree to disagree. At least on a subject of traumas and overreactions

On a power metal note. I can't help it I cannot take this type of music seriously. It's so full of cheese. There is only one band I respect and not because of their music but their skills

People use the expression "agree to disagree" when they want to stop a conversation or get rid of their interlocutor.
Sorry if i annoyed you, what you said just surprised me.

Back on topic, I'll give the album a chance tomorrow and get back to this.
----
06.11.2022 - 00:37
It's a pretty good release, but I seem to fail to get all the hype about it here 🤔
06.11.2022 - 08:58
Rating: 5
BCI
Yea, no. I loved The Liberation, but this just sounds too meta and somehow disconnected. Definitely don't see the hype either.
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
06.11.2022 - 17:05
JoHn Doe
I understand the hype and i agree. Great song-writing, solid release, I will get back to it definitely.
----
06.11.2022 - 18:01
MetalManic
According to Metal Storm's rating system, a '5' star rating is 'not good'. Despite one's criticism, even if the music itself doesn't resonate or make sense to an individual, the quality, originality, production and performance warrant (at the very least) the minimum of a '6' (or average) star rating. Frankly, there is noting average about this album.

We hear bands like Gojira with Fortitude---very average content released these days (especially in contrast to their glory days), slathered with '10' star (perfect) ratings by loyal fans. Sure, that band rightfully has the respect of the masses, but the ratings reflected here (and elsewhere) sadly do not reflect how that album should be (according to MS rating term) be.

Of the (current) 428 MS ratings of Fortitude, there are 62 '10' start (or perfect) ratings. For Fortitude?!? I love me some Gojira, but I'm not going to kid myself here into believing it's anything more than an 'Average' ('6' star rating) album by a great band. Subjectiveness (is that a word?) and emotions dramatically impact our personal ratings of music---as evidence by my rating history---but Ayam certainly deserves much of the praise it is receiving, despite whether it is to the taste(s) of the certain listeners. It certainly doesn't fall into the 'not good' category. There are just too many other positives to even the score.
06.11.2022 - 18:29
terroriser
Written by MetalManic on 06.11.2022 at 18:01

According to Metal Storm's rating system, a '5' star rating is 'not good'. Despite one's criticism, even if the music itself doesn't resonate or make sense to an individual, the quality, originality, production and performance warrant (at the very least) the minimum of a '6' (or average) star rating. Frankly, there is noting average about this album.

We hear bands like Gojira with Fortitude---very average content released these days (especially in contrast to their glory days), slathered with '10' star (perfect) ratings by loyal fans. Sure, that band rightfully has the respect of the masses, but the ratings reflected here (and elsewhere) sadly do not reflect how that album should be (according to MS rating term) be.

Of the (current) 428 MS ratings of Fortitude, there are 62 '10' start (or perfect) ratings. For Fortitude?!? I love me some Gojira, but I'm not going to kid myself here into believing it's anything more than an 'Average' ('6' star rating) album by a great band. Subjectiveness (is that a word?) and emotions dramatically impact our personal ratings of music---as evidence by my rating history---but Ayam certainly deserves much of the praise it is receiving, despite whether it is to the taste(s) of the certain listeners. It certainly doesn't fall into the 'not good' category. There are just too many other positives to even the score.

Funny you mention subject of voting by loyal fans. I expressed my feelings about recent Blind Guardian album and was called troll ruining it's position in ranking. I think you should look at this as a popularity contest and some desperate people desperately trying to prove to selves and others that their point of view is the only right one.

And let me tell you something about "Fortitude"... Its shit. It don't deserve even 1 star.
----
06.11.2022 - 18:31
terroriser
Written by JoHn Doe on 05.11.2022 at 20:12

Written by terroriser on 05.11.2022 at 18:50

People use the expression "agree to disagree" when they want to stop a conversation or get rid of their interlocutor.
Sorry if i annoyed you, what you said just surprised me.

Back on topic, I'll give the album a chance tomorrow and get back to this.

No I am absolutely not annoyed. Forgive me if my post make you fell like that. Only person who can annoy me is my wife
----
06.11.2022 - 20:54
MetalManic
Written by Guest on 06.11.2022 at 18:52

Written by MetalManic on 06.11.2022 at 18:01

An awful take. No artist or album should have some sort of protective umbrela that automaticly dismisses any criticism. "6/10 by default" is a mentality I'd expect from videogame journalists on metacritic (especially since the average score that is anything below 8/10 by reviewers is considered to be bad product), rather than from a thinking man with his own opinions on music. I can't believe this has to be said, but music is subjective and not a single characteristic will be taken equally by everyone.
Even thing like production isn't objective. Hell, there are entire music genres that revolve around "bad" or "not good in the general sense" production. And there are a lot of albums with production, arguably, so clean that one could take it as overproduced and "lifeless".

To be fair, I did declare the subjective note:

"Subjectiveness (is that a word?) and emotions dramatically impact our personal ratings of music---as evidence by my rating history"

In truth, my favorite rating system out there revolves around replay value. It's pretty cut and dry, but caters to said subjective opinion. Essentially, it's from 0 to 5. 0 being a zero chance of you not wanting to listen the album again to 5 - I'll never tire of this album and can listen to it forever. If a person is truly bothered by said production/performance/etc., it will easily be reflected by the likelihood of expected number of replays.

Ah, here it is (credit to the author reviewer VanWarp---wherever he may be):

ONE STAR:
Worthless album, no repeat value at all, bored after the very first spin! There’s no need to extend a probationary listening period, as the album is not going to get any better with time. (Reviewing such an album is impossible because I can’t and won’t listen to it more than once)
TWO STARS:
Some tracks on this album have some repeat value, but they are few and far between. Besides, you’ll tire of it fast, sometime during the first month of the probationary listening period.
THREE STARS:
Average repeat value, but the flair of the new and original will wear off after 25 spins or near the end of the 3-month probationary listening period, whichever comes first.
FOUR STARS:
This album will still be on high rotation in your CD player after 50 spins or long after the probationary listening period has come and gone.
FIVE STARS:
You’ll never tire of this album. In your mind, it is a classic in the genre and style of music it stands for. No question about it, a masterpiece!
09.11.2022 - 16:17
Zap
Have only given it two spins so far but it was quite good. I don't think it's as strong as The Liberation, but that one needed quite some time to grow on me so maybe (hopefully) this will too.
09.11.2022 - 22:30
dickkafa
Really good album. Might have to give it a second go to rate this correctly but imma give it a 9 for now
11.11.2022 - 00:24
Tuonelan
Written by MetalManic on 06.11.2022 at 20:54

In truth, my favorite rating system out there revolves around replay value. It's pretty cut and dry, but caters to said subjective opinion. Essentially, it's from 0 to 5. 0 being a zero chance of you not wanting to listen the album again to 5 - I'll never tire of this album and can listen to it forever. If a person is truly bothered by said production/performance/etc., it will easily be reflected by the likelihood of expected number of replays.

These days I'd lean towards a scale of 1-3, for "no thanks," "okay," and "yes please." Maybe add a ! to either a 1 or a 3 to qualify the extra hate/love. That would at least give love and hate equal power rather than giving the haters extra numeric power to tank a score.
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
11.11.2022 - 12:35
MetalManic
Cool take. I dig the equal power thing.
11.11.2022 - 15:04
X-FrEaK
Am I the only getting Katatonia (on steroids) vibes on this one? I really liked the album, AOTY material for sure
----

Hits total: 12643 | This month: 69