Tanner Wayne - drums
Bryce Paul - bass

Additional info
Released by Nuclear Blast Records.
Mastered at Sterling Sound Studio.

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
One small step for man, one big step for mankind.

Read more ››
published 16.02.2023 | Comments (10)

Found in 57 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 75   Visited by: 908 users
11.02.2023 - 01:35
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Samot on 11.02.2023 at 00:53

I thought the album was very good .... the best since retoute to remain for me .....
It's an 8 album for me.... and on the date I voted the album has a 7.5 ...so I give a note 10 to dub the average trying to reach 8 which I think is the fair grade... that's how what i usually do.... and I think a lot of people on the site think the same way since the average is done this way

This is exactly the problem. You're rating the album a 10 trying to raise the average score to what you think it should be. This is precisely the rating abuse I mentioned in my earlier post. So should I then lower my score to a 1 to counter out your vote even though I don't think this album is a 1 = worst ever? If you think it's an 8 rate it an 8.
11.02.2023 - 01:55
Rating: 8
Samot
I don't see it as a problem I see it as a solution.... when it reaches grade 8 I'll change it....
----
Um, Dois, Três, Quatro! Yeah! PORRA!!!
11.02.2023 - 02:17
tintinb
Calm the fuck down and listen to the music. Rating schmating.
----
Leeches everywhere.
11.02.2023 - 07:35
Ryanm123
They perfectly mixed their new sound with heavy backing riffs and much better writing. Does Foregone have the hard-hitting emotional parts that I've always loved from In Flames? Yup, full of them. Chris adds amazing solos, what a great addition he was. In Flames is one of my comfort bands that I go to when I want to feel nostalgic and Foregone is perfect for that desired feeling. This is my favorite In Flames album since Reroute To Remain. I'd say if you disliked their last few albums don't let that stop you from checking this one out, especially if you like their 2002-2011 stuff.
11.02.2023 - 07:51
Redel

I thought the album was very good .... the best since retoute to remain for me .....
It's an 8 album for me.... and on the date I voted the album has a 7.5 ...so I give a note 10 to dub the average trying to reach 8 which I think is the fair grade... that's how what i usually do.... and I think a lot of people on the site think the same way since the average is done this way

Please note that this violates our rules of voting.
"When voting for an album, remember your vote must be fair and not influenced by what other voters have done before you."
11.02.2023 - 08:57
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Redel on 11.02.2023 at 07:51

Please note that this violates our rules of voting.
"When voting for an album, remember your vote must be fair and not influenced by what other voters have done before you."

Good, you mentioned the point.

His votes must be expunged.
11.02.2023 - 11:49
Rating: 6
frequenzangriff
Its so much better then any of the albums they released in the past 15 years, and it sounds pretty good. But somehow sounds more like an inflames cover band.

11.02.2023 - 14:32
Vellichor
If the lyrics and vocals weren’t so weak, this could be a really good album. Lyrics I can easily tune out when I listen, but the vocals are so overproduced, it’s atrocious
11.02.2023 - 14:48
Rating: 4
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Fridén's clean vocals and chanting ruins what would be just another run-of-the-mill "jump da fuck up" album made 20 years past its expiry date. The only positive to come out of the In Flames camp these days is reading the hypocritical comments on YouTube about this being real music, unlike that shitty chart-topping pop garbage
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.02.2023 - 00:43
Samot
Written by Ryanm123 on 11.02.2023 at 07:35

They perfectly mixed their new sound with heavy backing riffs and much better writing. Does Foregone have the hard-hitting emotional parts that I've always loved from In Flames? Yup, full of them. Chris adds amazing solos, what a great addition he was. In Flames is one of my comfort bands that I go to when I want to feel nostalgic and Foregone is perfect for that desired feeling. This is my favorite In Flames album since Reroute To Remain. I'd say if you disliked their last few albums don't let that stop you from checking this one out, especially if you like their 2002-2011 stuff.

Exactly this bro .... fell the same !!
Great album!!
Cheers !!
----
12.02.2023 - 10:17
Stormm
Finally something worthy. Yes, their losing grip in softer passages, which are echoes of past few albums. Yes, Fridén is whining here and there, yes some choruses are throwaways, yes his lyrics are still stories for his teenage daughter. But they are strong in heavier and more classic In Flames style. That's the reason why State of Slow Decay, Foregone and The Great Deceiver are highlights.
12.02.2023 - 10:43
JoHn Doe
I listened to the first two songs and gave up. I will listen to the whole thing, but it seems I need a special mood for this.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
12.02.2023 - 14:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
First 2 albums was killer then they changed a bit and later a lot. I lost interest in the band. First so g from this was big player to me, back 2 roots, good catchy riffs calmer vocals. First 2 albums songs was ok. Rest album is ok, I like clean vocals and catch melodic riffs. But we live on, but nobody can kill our past.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.02.2023 - 17:53
Rating: 5
Nightmare^
Seriously, I think there are artists on Youtube in the vain of "What if band X sounded like Y" who could make a much better job making an In Flames album in 2023 than the actual band.

This band still exists and makes albums just to feed on the controversy and endless discussion around every new thing they release. I've seriously lost interest in them since the early 00's but still give them a go every time.

The riffs are better, not in terms of creativity/complexity but they kinda sound more like "old" In Flames which is a good thing here. However, the lyrics/themes, are terrible and the vocals are waaaaaay overproduced, a total overkill. Whatever, one time playthrough of the album was enough, if I had a physical CD I'd be considering throwing it away.
----
12.02.2023 - 18:01
Nightmare^
Written by Nejde on 11.02.2023 at 01:35

This is exactly the problem. You're rating the album a 10 trying to raise the average score to what you think it should be. This is precisely the rating abuse I mentioned in my earlier post. So should I then lower my score to a 1 to counter out your vote even though I don't think this album is a 1 = worst ever? If you think it's an 8 rate it an 8.

This is EVERYWHERE with an online rating system these days. What a moronic way for people to rate albums, games, films etc. In a sense there's zero value when somethings has a 10 star rating unless you actually try it yourself, may it be an album or a physical item you're looking to purchase.

----
12.02.2023 - 19:31
Fred_P
Couple decent songs. "State of Slow Decay" and "Foregone Pt1" are great, the rest is... average.
12.02.2023 - 22:54
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff

This is utter nonsense and, as other users have already pointed out, a clear violation of our rules.

The figure in the upper right corner is supposed to show the average rating of all voters. Please consult a dictionary if you do not understand the meaning of the term "average". Here's a small hint: "average" is not the same as "what Samot considers fair".
Trying to raise the average score by doling out inflated ratings is presumptuous as it contradicts the basic principle that every user's rating should have the same impact on the average. Why should your personal opinion be more relevant than the opinion of all other users? Please explain.

Maybe I'm wrong, but... ...is adjusting album ratings by any chance your main occupation on this site?
Or how else can you explain your ridiculously high average rating of 9.14?
----
signatures = SPAM
12.02.2023 - 23:37
Samot
Written by Starvynth on 12.02.2023 at 22:54

This is utter nonsense and, as other users have already pointed out, a clear violation of our rules.

The figure in the upper right corner is supposed to show the average rating of all voters. Please consult a dictionary if you do not understand the meaning of the term "average". Here's a small hint: "average" is not the same as "what Samot considers fair".
Trying to raise the average score by doling out inflated ratings is presumptuous as it contradicts the basic principle that every user's rating should have the same impact on the average. Why should your personal opinion be more relevant than the opinion of all other users? Please explain.

Maybe I'm wrong, but... ...is adjusting album ratings by any chance your main occupation on this site?

do you think that everyone on this site who gives a score of 10 or 3 2 1 ... are wondering how?? the site influences people to vote this way ... so stop wanting to use me as a model just because I had the pain to assume something that clearly more than 60% of the site's users do ....make what you want .....
----
13.02.2023 - 01:39
tiny dog ghosts
I get where you're coming from Samot but "I will rate this 8/10 album as a 10" is some real Andersbrained posting
13.02.2023 - 05:42
Aries Rising
Outside of the singles its the same music they've been making since Reroute only with worse vocals and production. The band is clearly on autopilot with their "hot topicore" sound and are just collecting a paycheck.
13.02.2023 - 08:52
Liafev
Written by Samot on 12.02.2023 at 23:37

do you think that everyone on this site who gives a score of 10 or 3 2 1 ... are wondering how?? the site influences people to vote this way ... so stop wanting to use me as a model just because I had the pain to assume something that clearly more than 60% of the site's users do ....make what you want .....

"but other people do it too!" is one of the worse arguments to do anything. Try to adopt a conduct that makes sense to you in your life, instead of mimicking what stupid people around you are doing.. It might lead you to odd paths otherwise.
13.02.2023 - 10:57
Tramz
Is it just me? Or do they sound a fair bit like Soilwork in places here? It's better than when they sounded like Korn at least. Though i admit, last time i even looked into In Flames was Sound of a Playground Fading.
13.02.2023 - 12:34
Rating: 7
X-FrEaK
Written by Samot on 12.02.2023 at 23:37

If people are influenced by others in order to have their own opinion about something, they should do some souls earching about themselves. If you dont have an opinion (that is always personal) just because other people dont agree with you, you clearly should look inside and make some improvements on how you view the world.

Imagine what Tesla would be if Musk didnt push forward because ICEs were the establishment. I dont even like the guy, just making a point.

Also bringing up made up statistics like "60% of the users on this website" doesnt help your point, just makes it more silly
----
13.02.2023 - 17:49
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Starvynth on 12.02.2023 at 22:54

I've reported rating abuse to nikarg more than once. Some times he has deleted the ratings and other times he hasn't. Here we have a user that openly admits rating abuse. Just erase his ratings and let him waste time to re-rate all those 10s, then erase them again.
13.02.2023 - 18:02
A Real Mönkey

If I actually voted I’d give this album a 1 just to spite you.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
13.02.2023 - 19:20
Rating: 7
DarkWingedSoul
A lot of fuss. its a return to form.... of reroute, more or less, but still far from classic. will spin now and then but thats it.
13.02.2023 - 20:36
Kuroboshi
I love In Flames, but I think it's their worst effort to date. Sure, the riffs are pretty neat and feel dangerous and edgy again, but it's just soooo unoriginal and done to death. And Anders clean singing is not very good. I love his cleans during live, but not on record.
13.02.2023 - 20:57
Samot
Again I only give my rating so that the album reaches the note that I think is right for it and the site allows me to do that .... as long as I have freedom no one will tell me how I should vote or not vote ... you guys cry like children!
----
13.02.2023 - 21:05
Samot
Written by A Real Mönkey on 13.02.2023 at 18:02

If I actually voted I’d give this album a 1 just to spite you.

dude do what makes you happy and i will support you and i promise not to bother you..... Cheers!
----
13.02.2023 - 22:15
Redel
Written by Samot on 13.02.2023 at 20:57

Again I only give my rating so that the album reaches the note that I think is right for it

By this approach, do you check for the 257 albums you rated 10 like daily or so whether they finally reached the rate you consider fair, so that you can lower your rate? Potentially average ratings can change any minute. That approach can keep you pretty busy.

Hits total: 16127 | This month: 92