01. Ich Bin
02. Unsterblich
03. Ruhelos [feat. J.J.]
04. Hand Aufs Herz
05. Someday
06. Freier Fall
07. Abschied
08. Verletzlich

Ellenbogengesellschaft proves two things about German speaking people: their knack for unnecessarily long word concatenations, and their knack for atmospheric black metal.

Austria has already proven itself as a pretty fertile ground for black metal that is melodic, atmospheric, and melancholic. Though Summoning did lay the seeds for an entire subgenre of Summoning-core, their Tolkien-inspired sound is less relevant for this point than Dornenreich's progressive blend of dark folk and melodic black metal. This did lead to the 2010s being especially lucrative for some gaze injections for bands like Harakiri For The Sky, Karg, and Anomalie. One of the bands that joined that scene and that has always been pretty impressive was Ellende. Though my first contact with them has been due to mistaking them for Elend, and I doubt I was the only one, they were pretty quick to hone in something in their entire presentation that was pretty distinguishable. But something was keeping me from fully appreciating that in the grander post-black metal scene. Ellenbogengesellschaft brings them closer to that.

There's quite a lot to Ellende's music that is pretty in line to what you would expect from this niche of black metal. A lot of blasting, shrieking vocals that border on DSBM, melodious moments, long-drawn atmospheric passages, and all that jazz. Ellende always liked to merge the emotional impact with its sense of atmosphere, and previous releases were apt enough at getting them some of the recognition they deserve, but they still felt like they packed more potential than an actual finished package. There's something in the way Ellenbogengesellschaft flows that fulfils some of that potential. For one, it is worth mentioning that Ellende is sort of a one-man band, with the studio lineup consisting of only one drummer alongside the mainman L.G., so there is some clunkiness that comes from a single person trying to create a band's sound, something that feels more organic this time around.

Not only is the production a lot clearer this time around, leading to something a bit more engaging, but the sound reintroduces more of the classical instrumentation, from pianos to string instruments, to keep the sound palette from feeling stale. The interludes this time around, which is where a lot of this classical instrumentation gets to shine, feel more in harmony with the rest of the album than previously, with "Someday" especially being a really beautiful track as a result. Instrumental palette aside, the vocal side also has a better share of cleans and especially of choral voices this time around, and as far as harsh vocals are concerned, it's nice hearing a guest spot from Harakiri For The Sky's J.J. on "Ruhelos" to break away from the slightly monotonous feeling of L.G.'s shrieks.

All of these work towards a sound both fiery and mournful, as if a world not yet willing to lie on its deathbed.

Written on 04.10.2022 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 141 users
04.10.2022 - 19:23
Desha
delicious dish
Btw "Ellenbogengesellschaft" refers to a shitty society where everyone is out for themselves and doesn't care about others. Like using your ellbows to cut in line or make your way through a crowd. Which continues the long tradition of Germans making up words that already exist. In day to day speech you wouldn't use this, but just say "Deutschland" instead
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
04.10.2022 - 23:17
Rating: 10
Intro perfunctory but nice, Unsterblich made me think Bergtatt (sp?) - which is, ofc, a good sign... great to hear fellow bipolarion (will be a word in 9 yrs) from HftS on 3rd track! and despite him probably tryin to drag the track to a hopeless well in hell - it's still good vibes. subject to change, depending on him or I hittin a nasty trigga - generic exaggeration, of course

Edit: Ellenbogengesellschaft vs. Antidisestablishmentarianism! I think the latter seems the winner, I didn't have to pull the big guns with scientific terms (Pneumoltramicroscopicovolcanoconiosis)
----
No one can fend off 100 multi-colored Draculas
05.10.2022 - 14:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Germany language... Hehe if I would type in it.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.10.2022 - 02:11
Rating: 10
One more post here from watashi wa (boku wa? nah, too old - beyond Sempai to ancient wax museum of Miyagi! jeez I got to stop bein the jester on 40 hits of acid that no one asked for...)

this album is a whole legion of badassery - when I update my 2022 list on the Sunset in the 12th of Never.. this one will probably still be in the top 20 or right outside of it

*crickets + tumbleweed... hello darkness my ol' friend...*
----
No one can fend off 100 multi-colored Draculas
07.10.2022 - 16:31
Rating: 8
DarkWingedSoul
It keeps on spinning since it came out....
08.02.2023 - 08:11
Rating: 7
tintinb
Written by prnzokoshiroltra on 07.10.2022 at 02:11

One more post here from watashi wa (boku wa? nah, too old - beyond Sempai to ancient wax museum of Miyagi! jeez I got to stop bein the jester on 40 hits of acid that no one asked for...)

this album is a whole legion of badassery - when I update my 2022 list on the Sunset in the 12th of Never.. this one will probably still be in the top 20 or right outside of it

*crickets + tumbleweed... hello darkness my ol' friend...*

You ought to listen to their older stuff, the first three albums/ep. Some of the best post black metal I have ever listened to.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 1925 | This month: 12