04. Merged In Dreams - Ne Plus Ultra
05. The Purpose

The Best Stoner Metal Album Of 2022

Additional info
Artwork by Adrian Dexter.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Omens was an album about which I had genuine reservations over certain features, and yet I ended up calling it my 2020 Album Of The Year; that is the kind of sheer talent we are dealing with in Elder, and Innate Passage further exemplifies this.

Read more ››
published 28.11.2022 | Comments (3)

Found in 18 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 326 users
25.11.2022 - 07:34
Rating: 8
Aries Rising
I would say the music is more prog/symphonic than psychedelic.
26.11.2022 - 04:39
Blackcrowe
Great record, the first song Catastasis it’s amazing
----
Maybe as his eyes are wide.
28.11.2022 - 15:30
Bjamm
This record sounds really good!
It definitely is not symphonic, nor is it psychedelic/stoner to my ears. It very much resembles Steven Wilson's work (not claiming as good though), and I get Haken's vibes either.
EDIT: It sounds very little like SW (maybe sporadically), I don't know what I was thinking!
28.11.2022 - 22:09
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
This is wonderful music, and so beautifully crafted, the opening track is especially brilliant. I agree with the above comment though, it's hard to pinpoint the exact genre of this one, I'm getting slight psychedelic from this and obviously some stoner in parts, but also quite a lot of the structure seems like progressive rock to me.
29.11.2022 - 06:21
Bjamm
It grew on me very quickly in the second run! Have to check out their other records!
01.12.2022 - 18:19
Crème fraiche
Written by Aries Rising on 25.11.2022 at 07:34

I would even say "jammy" over psychedelic.
01.12.2022 - 18:20
Crème fraiche
Written by Bjamm on 29.11.2022 at 06:21

It grew on me very quickly in the second run! Have to check out their other records!

Def check out their back catalogue! You really can't go wrong with any of their releases. Lore might be my favorite but I may be slightly biased as that was my introduction to the band.
01.12.2022 - 21:03
Rating: 9
musclassia
staff
Written by Crème fraiche on 01.12.2022 at 18:19

Written by Aries Rising on 25.11.2022 at 07:34

I would even say "jammy" over psychedelic.

It's definitely jammy - I remember watching a Q&A the band released last year where they emphasized how the style of the Gold & Silver Sessions EP was something that they'd like to repeat for a future release, but that they couldn't work on something like that at the time since one of the members was on another continent and it was written around jamming. That surprised me, because I really imagined most of their material would be written based around - quite a lot of it, particularly on the last couple of albums in my ears, involves locking into a particular groove and playing around with it for a few minutes. I guess the G&S EP is moreso like that, and certainly their songs feel more song-oriented and deliberately structured than, say, Earthless, but I still think of them as a jam-like band in my head
02.12.2022 - 09:53
BCI
Giving it a try now. I like what I'm hearing but it feels like it's going to take me a month to get through the first song
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
02.12.2022 - 18:41
Bjamm
Written by Crème fraiche on 01.12.2022 at 18:20

Written by Bjamm on 29.11.2022 at 06:21

Def check out their back catalogue! You really can't go wrong with any of their releases. Lore might be my favorite but I may be slightly biased as that was my introduction to the band.

Just did it, and you weren't wrong! It is fantastic! Thanks for the suggestion. Lore had more stoner, psych taste than Innate Passage. Boy, what a dynamic each track has got! I'm going to check their debut and Dead Roots Stirring as soon I can.
05.12.2022 - 17:51
Crème fraiche
@Bjamm Glad you were digging it! Anytime! I haven't spun their debut a whole lot. IIRC it is more stoner for sure. I love Dead Roots Stirring. That one may be a contender for favorite Elder LP. Reflections of a Floating World was amazing I thought also! Their only one that lands lukewarm with me is Omens, mainly due to the vocals sounding a bit off to me. Hope you enjoy dude!
06.12.2022 - 14:04
Dylan 1974
Now this is decent. Might well nudge Marillion off my AOTY. Regarding the genre, this is definitely more progressive than psychedelic, but there is a light dash of heavy psych in there.
20.12.2022 - 20:13
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Gets better with each listen. Think the vocals are a step up from previous albums by Elder.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
06.01.2023 - 05:45
stubertjames
I'm hearing some Baroness here.
28.01.2023 - 14:31
Rating: 7
metalbrat
For the genre fans its a pretty good album.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
15.02.2023 - 17:40
tintinb
It's definitely more psychedelic than stoner. Elder always makes me wanna roll a big one and think of space shit.
----
Leeches everywhere.
06.05.2023 - 22:13
Rating: 9
Marsell
No bad track... the riffs, the lyrics, the melodies, the compositions, the grooves, the bass lines... amazing album! You can tell they've matured and aged (as we all have), this album has a different pace in regard to the previous ones, which is totally fine imho... Elder keeps putting out quality music!
----
It's all about the ups and downs!

Hits total: 4058 | This month: 33