Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Premiere New Single 'Lux Æterna', Announce Album

Metallica have lots of news to share today. First, they present a brand new single/video called "Lux Æterna". The latter will appear on the band's upcoming full length offering, 72 Seasons, due on April 14th 2023. The successor to 2016's Hardwired... To Self-Destruct will be comprised of 12 new songs and more than 77 minutes in total. Alongside new album and first single announcement, Metallica also reveal a world touring plan.

“Is there a special meaning to the title?” you ask. James explains it best: "72 seasons. The first 18 years of our lives that form our true or false selves. The concept that we were told ‘who we are’ by our parents. A possible pigeonholing around what kind of personality we are. I think the most interesting part of this is the continued study of those core beliefs and how it affects our perception of the world today. Much of our adult experience is reenactment or reaction to these childhood experiences. Prisoners of childhood or breaking free of those bondages we carry."

Directed by Tim Saccenti

Track listing:

01. 72 Seasons
02. Shadows Follow
03. Screaming Suicide
04. Sleepwalk My Life Away
05. You Must Burn!
06. Lux Æterna
07. Crown Of Barbed Wire
08. Chasing Light
09. If Darkness Had A Son
10. Too Far Gone?
11. Room Of Mirrors
12. Inamorata

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 28.11.2022 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 43   Visited by: 408 users
28.11.2022 - 20:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
They did copy them selves in garage demo punk party. Hmmmm might be ok.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.11.2022 - 20:41
Nejde
CommunityManager
I guess they mean "Pantera" and not Pantera. Can't say I support this cash grab they're doing using the Abbotts' band and name.
28.11.2022 - 20:43
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Reminds me of Judas Priest.
----
28.11.2022 - 20:56
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Nejde on 28.11.2022 at 20:41

I guess they mean "Pantera" and not Pantera. Can't say I support this cash grab they're doing using the Abbotts' band and name.

Every tour is a cash grab. Believe me, they don't give a rat's ass about your righteous indignation.
At the end of the day, it's up to you if you buy the ticket or not.
28.11.2022 - 21:12
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Daniell on 28.11.2022 at 20:56

Written by Nejde on 28.11.2022 at 20:41

Every tour is a cash grab. Believe me, they don't give a rat's ass about your righteous indignation.
At the end of the day, it's up to you if you buy the ticket or not.

If Phil or Rex started the band I wouldn't say anything but they started out in Dime's and Vinnie's garage when they were teenagers. There's no righteous indignation so there's no need to be condescending, thank you very much. This would be like Lars and James dying and Kirk and Robert continuing as Metallica and adding Scott Ian on guitars/vocals and Dave Lombardo on drums. No one would call that Metallica. Just saying.
28.11.2022 - 21:24
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Quote:
The concept that we were told ‘who we are’ by our parents. A possible pigeonholing around what kind of personality we are. I think the most interesting part of this is the continued study of those core beliefs and how it affects our perception of the world today. Much of our adult experience is reenactment or reaction to these childhood experiences. Prisoners of childhood or breaking free of those bondages we carry."

Sounds like "Dyers Eve". Too much to hope for?
28.11.2022 - 21:36
Horsymet
12 songs and 77 minutes. Another endless album in sight
28.11.2022 - 21:45
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Nice, song is a banger, I enjoyed it. Artwork is absolute trash though.
28.11.2022 - 22:10
Blackcrowe
Sounds like the first wave of proto speed metal like Head Hunter from Krokus or Exciter from Judas Priest
----
Maybe as his eyes are wide.
28.11.2022 - 22:12
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Nejde on 28.11.2022 at 21:12

If Phil or Rex started the band I wouldn't say anything but they started out in Dime's and Vinnie's garage when they were teenagers. There's no righteous indignation so there's no need to be condescending, thank you very much.

There is no condescension, I'm merely making an observation.
It's purely business. It's always business, whether we like it or not. Every band that starts in a garage dreams of making it big. Every band. Rex and Anselmo have been in Pantera for such a long time that they do have the right to use the name. Plus I'm sure this was greenlit by Dime's and Vinnie's estate. So it's all legal and justified.
Contrary to what you may think, I do agree with you that this is not real Pantera. But it's not up to us. It's their commodity and they can do with it as they please. All we can do is ignore it if we don't like it. But we will be in a minority, because I'm sure the venues will be packed when this incarnation of Pantera hits the road.
28.11.2022 - 22:58
Khold Baroness
This sounds like the same mistakes since Black album
28.11.2022 - 23:28
Cthulu
Sounds interesting; looking forward to it. I like how they announce an album by surprise without excessive buildup. I wish more bands would do it this way.
28.11.2022 - 23:49
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Daniell on 28.11.2022 at 22:12

It's purely business. It's always business, whether we like it or not. Every band that starts in a garage dreams of making it big. Every band. Rex and Anselmo have been in Pantera for such a long time that they do have the right to use the name. Plus I'm sure this was greenlit by Dime's and Vinnie's estate. So it's all legal and justified.
Contrary to what you may think, I do agree with you that this is not real Pantera. But it's not up to us. It's their commodity and they can do with it as they please. All we can do is ignore it if we don't like it. But we will be in a minority, because I'm sure the venues will be packed when this incarnation of Pantera hits the road.

Of course it's business but it still feels wrong when the two founding brothers are both dead. Glad that you agree with me at least because at the end of the day this "Pantera" revival feels extremely cynical (even though Dime and Zakk were very good friends). Pantera is a band that died with Dime and Vinnie. Just imagine Motörhead did the same thing. The thought ofMotörhead without Lemmy is just ridiculous.

Speaking of Motörhead. Is it just me or does this new song sounds like a sped up Motörhead song but without Lemmy's distinctive voice? I feel kinda sceptical about it but at least it sounds better than anything from Hardwired.
29.11.2022 - 00:55
Dylan 1974
Is there any point commenting on this anymore? My favourite band in the 80s has become everything they were railing against: dumb, insipid and pointless parodic hard rock. This is almost a fucking joke.

Anyone comparing this to Motorhead needs a reality check. This is corporate crap: nothing more, nothing less.
29.11.2022 - 02:42
A Real Mönkey
>12 songs
>77 minutes

----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
29.11.2022 - 02:55
iMorphball
Do I trust 2023 Metallica with 77 minutes of my time? No, no I do not.

This song is okay though.
29.11.2022 - 03:40
Aries Rising
Maybe they should ask Dave back, at least he would have the balls to tell them when something sucks.
29.11.2022 - 04:12
bosserman
77 minutes of that lifeless, treble-boosted Greg Fidelman production for maximum punishment.
29.11.2022 - 05:39
sbgmetal
Good riff, bad solo from kirk like usual
29.11.2022 - 06:33
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Dylan 1974 on 29.11.2022 at 00:55

Anyone comparing this to Motorhead needs a reality check. This is corporate crap: nothing more, nothing less.

It wasn't meant as a compliment.
29.11.2022 - 09:42
Vinther1991
Pretty good song. Good riffs, solo and catchy vocals.
Seems to go down the same path as Hardwired, which I enjoyed a lot. Though the song has some Kill 'Em All influence there, which is cool.
The production is similar to Hardwired, which is okay, not great, but clearly better than Death Magnetic.
The album cover is better than Hardwired though, I like this yellow theme, very unusual for metal, but instantly makes me think of Screaming for Vengeance or Firepower from Judas Priest.
12 songs 77 min? Really? Disappointing they haven't learned anything from the biggest flaws of Hardwired. Hope they still manage to deliver some consistency though.
29.11.2022 - 09:45
Vinther1991
Written by Aries Rising on 29.11.2022 at 03:40

Maybe they should ask Dave back, at least he would have the balls to tell them when something sucks.

That's certainly an ability he lacks when listening to Megadeth songs, but maybe he will be more critical of other people's material.
29.11.2022 - 11:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Nejde on 28.11.2022 at 23:49

Speaking of Motörhead. Is it just me or does this new song sounds like a sped up Motörhead song but without Lemmy's distinctive voice? I feel kinda sceptical about it but at least it sounds better than anything from Hardwired.

Drumming does remind me a bit of Philthy.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.11.2022 - 11:27
Constantine
That's a really new cool Volbeat song.
29.11.2022 - 11:45
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
The song is quite enjoyable, it's light, melodic and memorable. I even like the drumming, which hasn't happened often in about 15 years. It somehow reminds me of the Queen's song that Metalica covered - Stone Cold Crazy.

In my opinion, just like with most bands that are around for many decades, it is quite unrealistic to expect Metallica to break new ground and impress us just like they did in the first decade of their existence. It's never going to happen. A bunch of millionaires with their appetites for money and fame sated tenfold will never muster enough anger, ambition and hunger to make a serious impact once again. They deserve every bit of fame and fortune that they have, of course, but they also deserve to be got off their back.
29.11.2022 - 12:06
ian b
I'll give it a listen but since I havnt really liked anything they've done since master of puppets I'm not very hopeful about it..
29.11.2022 - 18:52
X-FrEaK
Sounds Megadethish, I like it
----
29.11.2022 - 23:31
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I don't care for it. Meh.
30.11.2022 - 13:03
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
A bit of fun:

The song in question looks like it's from a 2015 album, but it's actually much older, as it was first released in 1985.

Fun fact: the band in question, Kat, supported Metallica in Poland in 1987 (Feb 10 and 11).
01.12.2022 - 02:12
pthread
Written by Daniell on 30.11.2022 at 13:03

A bit of fun:

The song in question looks like it's from a 2015 album, but it's actually much older, as it was first released in 1985.

Fun fact: the band in question, Kat, supported Metallica in Poland in 1987 (Feb 10 and 11).

Pathetic, not fun. Goes to show copycats abound when original bands are no more. KAT's Piotr Luczyk in the 1980s would be delighted with it, nevertheless. Today more likely pissed off at the fact it doesn't pay him anything, like.

The riff is generic and staid, what a joke to choose a filler for a single. But bills must be paid so off they go on a rip-off tour.

Hits total: 6416 | This month: 90