Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Infrastructure Update

Dear MS community,

as some of you will have noticed, we had an extended maintenance downtime today. This was to push a huge under-the-hood update that we’ve been working on for pretty much a whole year. We decided not to give you a heads-up this time so as to not clutter our news feeds with too much site- and not metal-related content. We want our news section to be mainly about metal and not so much about Metal Storm.

The site you’re now visiting is pretty much still the old one. There are a few noticeable changes like re-working the login and registration system and some smaller updates here and there. Under the hood, however, we’ve changed a lot. Most of that relates to the way the database is handled. This also means that you’ll see new bugs or changed behavior. We did a lot of testing in the background but there is only so much we can do with the team size we have and still operate the live site.

So we decided to push the update live at a point where we are pretty satisfied with the experience and accept the possibility that it might explode on us because we missed something big. This means there's an increased chance for you to find parts of the site that don't work as expected or end up on a white page in general. At this point in our upgrade path that's pretty much unavoidable. We're making good progress with the updates but the original code is still very old and error-prone.

Everything we missed, you can report in the new January 2023 Update Bugs thread and we’ll look into it.

We’ll continue to work on the site, both under the hood and new features and functions. If you want to help, please contact a staffer of your choice. We are looking to build a small team of volunteer testers soon.
Posted: 14.01.2023 by corrupt

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 12   Visited by: 241 users
15.01.2023 - 01:28
MahoDM
Dumbass
Great to see my favourite site still be upgraded after more than 2 decades of existing!
15.01.2023 - 02:11
24emd
Theory Snob
Appreciate all your work guys
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
15.01.2023 - 09:03
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Great work guys
----
15.01.2023 - 12:45
Ryfalgoth
Good work guys ! Can't wait for MS Awards 2022 !
15.01.2023 - 20:55
sonofdeath
Thanks guys and keep up the good work!
----
----When I drop dead, could you place a sixpack of beer besides me? I've heard it's quite hot in hell----
15.01.2023 - 23:22
The Galactician
Huge congratulations, team! I wish you a deeply serene and generally bug-free post-release. Keep up the excellent work. It is appreciated.
16.01.2023 - 09:47
Nejde
CommunityManager
Most importantly, thank you for doing everything you guys do VOLUNTARILY and keeping this great website and community AD FREE
16.01.2023 - 16:36
mogwaimarco
Thanks for keeping Metal alive!
17.01.2023 - 06:29
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Commendable work, mec

Now the work is in progress, how about adding *MS Space stream here would be a feasible option?

Of course ripping from Twitter space, but if server load is your happy meal, we might incorporate this.

*A live stream where couple of staff members will be speaking the language of "The Pub".
19.01.2023 - 22:17
Eternity'sChild
I spend so much time on this site, so very much appreciated that so much work is put into it - of course with this new update, but also in general!
21.01.2023 - 14:42
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Don't know if this is related, but I recently wrote a review, someone from staff proofread, edited and approved it, and now I'm trying to accept changes... but all I get is a blank page when I hit accept on the edits, and it is not published.
----
21.01.2023 - 17:49
nikarg
staff
Written by qlacs on 21.01.2023 at 14:42

Don't know if this is related, but I recently wrote a review, someone from staff proofread, edited and approved it, and now I'm trying to accept changes... but all I get is a blank page when I hit accept on the edits, and it is not published.

I clicked on "accept" and it is published now, but there is no date. This is a problem that has already been mentioned, though.

Hits total: 2381 | This month: 21