Sacred Outcry - Towers Of Gold review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

117 users:
Band: Sacred Outcry
Album: Towers Of Gold
Style: Heavy metal, Power metal
Release date: May 2023

01. Through Lands Forgotten (At The Crossroads Of Fate)
02. The Flame Rekindled (Lurid Lights And Drunken Revelry)
03. The Voyage (Towards Immortality)
04. Into The Storm (Beyond The Lost Horizon)
05. Symphony Of The Night (The Curse Of The Blind)
06. A Midnight Reverie (Whispers In The Wind)
07. The Sweet Wine Of Betrayal (The Perennial Sin)
08. The City Of Stone (The Burden Of The Crownless Kings)
09. Towers Of Gold (Tempus Edax Rerum)
10. Where Crimson Shadows Dwell (And Ouroboros Dreamt)

If epic-themed, speedy power metal is your sort of thing, then strap up and hold on tight, because Towers Of Gold will have you break-necking your way into the deepest realms of fantasy.

Formed in 1998 was the Greek/European power metal band Sacred Outcry, masterminded by bassist George Apalodimas. Although the band has now been around for twenty-five years in total, they only have two full-length albums under their belt, those being the critically acclaimed debut Damned for All Time, released back in 2020, which is now followed by this second release, Towers Of Gold.

Now, with the legendary ex-Lost Horizon frontman Daniel Heiman joining forces on vocal duties, this really does shape up to be an album of true epic proportions, or at the very least, an opportunity not to be squandered. Especially when bringing into consideration George Apalodimas' reputation for his epic storytelling and songwriting, which on the debut was second-to-none. During his short spell with the Swedish power metal band Lost Horizon, Heiman showed us just how much of an exceptional performer he was, bringing such a powerful energetic presence to the stage, and showing off his superb wide-range vocals without ever coming across as over-the-top or silly. There are very few vocalists in metal that possess such an incredibly raw natural talent such as Heiman, so I, for one, admit hearing about them joining forces got me all excited, but that goes without knocking the quality of former vocalist Yannis Papadopoulos of course, who was undeniably an exceptional performer in his own right.

Towers Of Gold is essentially an epic-fantasy themed concept album, featuring ten chapters reminiscing the golden, glory days of both the U.S. and European 90s power metal scenes respectively. The first thing that strikes me about Towers Of Gold is the album cover, which for me screams out a strong resemblance to Blind Guardian, and it isn't long before those Blind Guardian influences become evident in the music. The opening track, "Through Lands Forgotten (At the Crossroads of Fate)" begins as a short, epic, bard-like tale, containing a sweet, folkish acoustic melody, and gentle folk-style vocals performed by Heiman. This track itself sounds like a passage inspired by an early Blind Guardian record.

This album, however, doesn't entirely follow a direct European power metal route. Fused within its structure you'll also hear influences from the 80s U.S. power metal scene, particularly from the likes of Warlord, Iced Earth, and even snippets of Manowar (in the heroic lyrical sense of course). The second track "The Flame Rekindled (Lurid Lights and Drunken Revelry)" almost gives off a Virgin Steele inspired impression, with the strong symphonic elements in place, as well as the clear melodic approach over complexity. The track has a vast layering of instrumentation which goes back and forth between highly melodic and heavy driven riffs, pounding drumming and shredding solos, to softer rhythmic sections.

At just shy of eight minutes is the ballad-like track "The Sweet Wine of Betrayal (The Perennial Sin)", one of the album's lengthier tracks that also gives you a taste of Sacred Outcry's heavier side, where the heavy-driven melodic riffs take centre stage, not to mention the incredible solo towards the end. The track reminds me of early Iced Earth, in how it's powerfully driven by highly melodic riffs yet features slower sections too, passionately performed vocals, and moving songwriting. OK, moving on now to one of the highlight moments on the album, which is the almost fifteen-minute beastly epic "Towers of Gold (Tempus Edax Rerum)". This is a track of compellingly adventurous storytelling, where each musician really come into their own. Despite its length, there is rarely a dull moment here on this joyously melodic treasure of a track.

Sacred Outcry have really gone above and beyond with Towers Of Gold. They've crafted together something truly special, thanks to some incredible musicianship and quality songwriting, and combining various influences from across both sides of the Atlantic, making for an instant modern power metal classic in my eyes. Oh boy, Sacred Outcry could well have gathered a deserving power metal fan club of their own, one I would be opting to join. The future looks bright for Sacred Outcry, I can say that much.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 23.05.2023 by Feel free to share your views.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 114 users
23.05.2023 - 15:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
One of chosen few can understand this epic album how good it us, epic of epic gods, great album... We need more bands like this.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.05.2023 - 15:25
Rating: 8
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Written by Bad English on 23.05.2023 at 15:17

One of chosen few can understand this epic album how good it us, epic of epic gods, great album... We need more bands like this.

Agreed, this is beyond what I would consider run-of-the-mill, it's a great, enjoyable album, with great songwriting. May not appeal to every metalhead, but I suppose that's understandable.
23.05.2023 - 15:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 23.05.2023 at 15:25

Written by Bad English on 23.05.2023 at 15:17

Agreed, this is beyond what I would consider run-of-the-mill, it's a great, enjoyable album, with great songwriting. May not appeal to every metalhead, but I suppose that's understandable.

Like I said I am not roadburnrr. I am defender. I listened to this epic album 14 times
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.05.2023 - 00:52
nikarg
staff
I have now listened to this quite a bit. It is power metal of high standard, and Heiman's voice is godlike.
And that title track
06.06.2023 - 20:36
Rating: 10
DarkWingedSoul
A wonderful album, with celestial vocals and stellar melodies.... its carchy even if the usual verse chorus verse structure is not being followed. which makes it even more outstanding, one of the best records of the year.
06.06.2023 - 20:45
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by nikarg on 31.05.2023 at 00:52

I have now listened to this quite a bit. It is power metal of high standard, and Heiman's voice is godlike.
And that title track

Not as godlike as Hercules.
08.12.2023 - 22:27
Crème fraiche
Been on a PM kick lately and have been listening to older Kamelot and BG albums.. I needed this! Thank you!!
08.12.2023 - 22:33
Rating: 8
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Written by Crème fraiche on 08.12.2023 at 22:27

Been on a PM kick lately and have been listening to older Kamelot and BG albums.. I needed this! Thank you!!

I'm glad you like it, it's a great release, still arguably the best PM release this year I'd say.
06.01.2024 - 14:40
poring dark
There is a YouTube interview with George A. from five months ago, where he talks about his approach to songwriting and what is important for him, musically. Found it only yesterday, and this seems to explain why I care so much for this album.
It‘s not just that the music is great (yeah, generic adjective), and that it works both as one long song or story or musical translation of an epic film or fantasy novel, or that the songs also work as standalones, and the voice of Daniel Heiman (had not come across him before, my loss), and… and… so much more

But this: the music feels timeless and ageless, as if this album had „always“ been there. Like planets, and stars and forests and rivers and mountains and earth and sea.

Is there anyone who knows this feeling, even if for a different album?

Hits total: 2848 | This month: 63