04. Le Dévoreur
05. Le Fleuve Infini Des Morts
06. Je Rassemblais Tes Membres
07. Stasis
08. Borée
09. La Carrière D'Ombre
10. J'Ai Touché Aux Confins De La Mort
11. Urserpens

A World In Their Screams is the seventh and latest album from the French hard-to-categorize Elend. Offering us almost an hour of dark ambiences, neo-classical music and French whispers, this is bound to fall on deaf ears with most Metalstormers. But of course that is hardly a criteria since most Metalstormers are hardly experts on music outside of metal.

Anyway, let's not ramble about that but rather discuss what should be discussed. As mentioned earlier, this album floats on ambience and would be nothing without. From the first moment on, a woman uttering a fragile and incomprehensible wish, an eerie feeling crawls over the listener. Hell has broken loose and it shows itself in various forms. From ghastly whispered vocals to film-score-esque climaxes, from disturbing mutilation tomb soundscapes to horrid grotesque classical atmospheres. All that comes from instruments rather different from the usual 'band-instruments'. No guitars, only some tribal drums and the use of instruments such as violins, cellos, basses, clarinets, trumpets, french horns among a lot of others. So I must tell you, those of you who are searching for the latest thrashing piece of aggressive violence, take heed of this warning and search elsewhere. Those of you who are familiar with this stuff or are new but think they can take this, be my guest.

Draw the curtains, take a seat and turn the volume up. Or, if you aren't that patient, use it as background music and do something else while listening to it. Let this pierce your eardrums and let it ravage your mind, let it destroy the happiness of earlier times and then leave your dead eyes with nothing but remnants of what once was. The chaos is pretty structured in itself, and is also gifted with a good production, and that is exactly it's strong point. This is not chaotic for the sake of being chaotic, but rather structured well thought off to hit precisely where it hurts the most.

All in all this is a very interesting release. Hard to get into, maybe, and not really something you would want to listen to a couple of times in a row, but an interesting experience nonetheless.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 04.12.2007 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 124 users
04.12.2007 - 21:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
man you deserve a lot of wine for this
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.12.2007 - 21:31
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
This is THE BEST album of the year! I must have listened to it more than any other one this year. It's too bad you can't understand French, because the lyrics (or poems) behind are very well-written. They fit the music perfectly, and every word whispered by that mysterious voice gives the music an other dimension. Let's not even mention the scary female screams that would perfectly suit a horror movie soundtrack. You could have checked the English version of them though, it is available as a PDF file on their official website.
I recommend this album to anyone who's into dark, scary, neo-classical or atmospheric music. It deserves more praise, in my opinion, but it is still a good review. I don't think I'll write my own, after all, yours is enough. Thank you a lot for reviewing it as I requested. This will bring more attention to this band, which really deserves it.
04.12.2007 - 23:11
duyhung
Account deleted
Sounds interesting, gotta check them
05.12.2007 - 00:52
.mrt
"Etherial" would be the word I'd use to describe this music. If you keep an open mind then I'm sure the album will give you an Experience.
I listened to their samples on the web and I must say I was surprised to find this kind of music here on MS, but then I couldn't be more happier as otherwise I would have never found this mystical artist. It captivates you while listening and I'm increasingly sad to not know french! I can see that it increased the experience, at least in Queen Of Hippies' case

It reminds me of another Etherial project named Íon, the brainworks of the Anathema's and Antimatter's Duncan Patterson. If you liked this album, I'm sure you need to check out Íon's "Madre, Protégenos".

And Nerval, thanks - for the experience and the revelation.
05.12.2007 - 01:15
Opium
Account deleted
Totally worth checking out, I can vouch for this, having been a fan of theirs for over a year now

And yes, probably the best album of the year for me too.
05.12.2007 - 12:32
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.12.2007 at 01:15

Totally worth checking out, I can vouch for this, having been a fan of theirs for over a year now

Glad to see you agree . Did you read the English version of their lyrics I sent to you last time?
05.12.2007 - 12:41
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.12.2007 at 12:32

Written by Guest on 05.12.2007 at 01:15

Glad to see you agree . Did you read the English version of their lyrics I sent to you last time?

No, I wasn't even aware you did
05.12.2007 - 19:33
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Worth more than an 8 that's for sure. By far one of the top albums of the year.
06.12.2007 - 16:51
FOOCK Nam
The female voice is so horror and scary. But do their music is only whispering and female-screaming? Totally I would like to say this stuff is interesting, fited for epic movie, fiction etc.
06.12.2007 - 21:44
Damnated
Churchburner
nothing special tbh.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
07.12.2007 - 17:04
GRIGAL
Account deleted
"But of course that is hardly a criteria since most Metalstormers are hardly experts on music outside of metal." I'm not sure what you meant by that, I know several Metalstormers who are highly qualified on music outside of Metal.

I haven't yet heard this album, although after reding your review, Nervel, I am encouraged to do so. Good review. This band remains highly underrated, in my opinion.
07.12.2007 - 17:15
FOOCK Nam
Yeah, they are underrated. Checking their myspace, I feel like they are more music oriented other than vocal.
08.12.2007 - 00:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 07.12.2007 at 17:04

"But of course that is hardly a criteria since most Metalstormers are hardly experts on music outside of metal." I'm not sure what you meant by that, I know several Metalstormers who are highly qualified on music outside of Metal.

I meant exactly what I wrote. Sure, there are always exceptions.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.12.2007 - 11:33
Deadsoulman
Elite
I really like it. It is strange, sad and desperate (even more so when you actually understand the lyrics) and violent in an atmospheric/emotional kind of way. It is almost painful at times. A truly interesting experience

Oh, also, I've always really liked Elend's artworks and mysterious album titles. Somehow they have a knack for finding names that sound really cool and make you want to go further. If there's an award for best album title of the year, I vote for "A World In Their Screams"
01.09.2010 - 15:08
Rating: 5
Vonpire
This is the most macabre shit i ever listened!

I don't like it, but i agree it can be very interesting for fans of the genre which is not my case.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk

Hits total: 6382 | This month: 11