Megadeth vs Metallica

Poll

Megadeth vs. Metallica

Megadeth
Metallica

Total votes: 971
07.06.2006 - 03:18
-Valhalla-

Megadeth and Metallica have been trying to out do eachother for years. Dave Mustaine was an Ex-Metallica guitarist, and made Megadeth to show that he doesn't need metallica. Metallica the more popular of the two, cut thier hair, and sold out, touring with bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizcuit. Meanwhile, Megadeth's still going strong. Who's better? Would you rather go to see live?

In my opinion Megadeth is the better of the two. Metallica is a bunch of fatheads who have sucked balls since Ride The Lightning. Megadeth still sounds great, and has the Gigantour going, while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart.
----
A decapitated head could remain conscious for up to 30 seconds after being removed, offering the victim a truly unique perspective on the world for those last few moments.
07.06.2006 - 04:52
Mega-Slayer

I love both bands,and I really enjoy Metallica,but Megadeth gets way more creative in their music.James and Lars have wrote great lyrics,but Dave's lyrics are pure genius.Megadeth haven't ever really repeated thereselves,partly because of some many line-up changes,and I have always thought all of Megadeth's drummers have kept it way more original,(especially Nick Menza) than Lars has.Like you said though Dave is still out kicking ass and metallica isn't.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
07.06.2006 - 05:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Megadeth wins this one easily. I like Dave Mustaine's vocals more than James Hetfield, plus Megadeth's riffs are amazing. The thing that I love most about Megadeth is that their songs progress, unlike most Metallica songs. Another thing that Megadeth does that Metallica doesn't is that Megadeth always has dueling guitar solos.

Megadeth has been critized for the sub-par releases after Youthanasia, but after doing some research I found some interviews that explained why. Apparently, Mustaine wrote very little and most of the stuff was written by Ellefson or Friedman, who wanted to sell out and slow down. I don't know how credible that was though.

I would also rather see Megadeth live. Granted, it would be awesome to hear Metallica play their stuff from the 80's live, but I can't stand anything they did after 1988.
07.06.2006 - 06:30
Horlequism
Account deleted
Megadeth is better then Metallica hands down...they have a lot more albums that are heavy and thrashy then Metallica...Killing Is My Business, Peace Sells, But Who's Buying?, So Far, So Good, So What, Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction, Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings...it's all good....Metallica has those four albums...Kill Em All, Ride The Lightening, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All...The Black Album is iffy and then they moved into bluesy rock and then that shit St. Anger song...
07.06.2006 - 09:53
Eternal Flames

Megadeth without a doubt. With the exception of Risk, all their albums have been rather solid. from Killing Is My Business to Youthanasia, they were all brilliant albums. And the post-Youthanasia work was great as well, just not as good as their earlier work. I only thoroughly enjoyed Metallica's first four albums. The Black Album was rather mediocre and Load wasn't entirely bad, it had some decent songs, although personally I don't listen to any of their stuff after their self titled album so much anymore. Furthermore, St Anger was a huge disappointment and I don't see Metallica ever going back to their roots. So therefore, my vote goes to Megadeth.
08.06.2006 - 00:08
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
I voted Metallica, especially for their older albums, and I don't really like the Megadeth vocalist.
08.06.2006 - 01:07
Hylia

Megadeth for sure,Metallica got boring after the black album,even that one wasn't that good.I think that Megadeth have remained true,and they haven't changed that much.I've always liked Megadeth better anyways,Peace sells,Killing is my business and Rust in Peace are all my favorit albums.The only album I really like by Metallica is Kill em all.
08.06.2006 - 01:09
Dam3k

I went for Metallica, I just prefer, however, I also like Megadeth but I just enjoy more Metallica I couldn't say why... about Metallica's selling out.... wtf is wrong touring with Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and so on? I'm tired of this... people decide if they like a band or not depending the people who listen to it... Metallica time ago just was listened by metalheads, nowadays, non-metalhead people listen to them and they are sell out??wtf men??Is always the same plz JUST LISTEN THE MUSIC
----

08.06.2006 - 02:02
Stigmatized
Megadeth is the more consistent of the two, so I voted Megadeth. This debate could go on forever....I like both for different reasons, and can see both sides of this so....
09.06.2006 - 18:44
Coté

I voted for Megadeth, their song are much better and like it've said, thery are more consistent.
After a while Metallica stopped to do good job and got boring.
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
09.06.2006 - 19:06
Damnated
Churchburner
Metallica was an awsome band, but now they suck. They are just to bad to listen to, all the members got old, and lost their creativity. Megadeth is nothing special either, but they're sure better then Metallica.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
09.06.2006 - 22:09
Stratoman

Metallica ruled the world but now...now... oh god it is hard to say what happened to that band, they sold themselves they forgot the way how they played, they only worried about selling records and being a great label, that's not playing metal. Megadeth has a lot of great songs and haven't fallen yet atracted by fame or wealth....so i vote for Megadeth:gunner:
----
Metal Is Made For All Men, But Not Every Man Is Made For Metal
10.06.2006 - 01:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by -Valhalla- on 07.06.2006 at 03:18

Megadeth and Metallica have been trying to out do eachother for years. Dave Mustaine was an Ex-Metallica guitarist, and made Megadeth to show that he doesn't need metallica. Metallica the more popular of the two, cut thier hair, and sold out, touring with bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizcuit. Meanwhile, Megadeth's still going strong. Who's better? Would you rather go to see live?

In my opinion Megadeth is the better of the two. Metallica is a bunch of fatheads who have sucked balls since Ride The Lightning. Megadeth still sounds great, and has the Gigantour going, while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart.

Metallica sucked since "Ride the Lightning" - perhaps you have never heard "Master of Puppets"? If you like one, you pretty much have to like the other as they are very similar in structure.

You mention Metallica's touring partners - but has Lars inflated ego demanded that bands he doesn't like get booted from tours like Mustaine has?

From my perpsective, both bands kicked ass with lots of intense and interesting albums in the 80's, and both completely failed to interest me at all when they decided to slow down and simplify their music to make it more radio friendly. For some reason Metallica gets bashed for the "Black Album" (or "Load"), whereas Megadeth gets a free pass for "Countdown."

As a fan of both bands, who really enjoyed their previous works, and was barely able to contain the excitement of their impending album releases, "Countdown" was every bit the horrible disappointment that "the Black Album" was. Somehow the passage of time has changed Historical Perspective... I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of others who were rabid fans of both bands during the late 80's and early 90's...

I've listened to "Black", "Load", "Countdown", "Youthanasia" repeatedly, and none of them really did much of anything for me (at least Metallica's lyrics in 'black' were better than crap like 'cycotron' - that one STILL makes me wince). I haven't purchased anything from either of these bands in about a decade, and I don't see that changing now either.

Metallica is better in my opinion because their 80's output is better than Megadeth's 80's output...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.06.2006 - 05:23
Mega-Slayer

Written by BitterCOld on 10.06.2006 at 01:57

Written by -Valhalla- on 07.06.2006 at 03:18

Metallica sucked since "Ride the Lightning" - perhaps you have never heard "Master of Puppets"? If you like one, you pretty much have to like the other as they are very similar in structure.

You mention Metallica's touring partners - but has Lars inflated ego demanded that bands he doesn't like get booted from tours like Mustaine has?

From my perpsective, both bands kicked ass with lots of intense and interesting albums in the 80's, and both completely failed to interest me at all when they decided to slow down and simplify their music to make it more radio friendly. For some reason Metallica gets bashed for the "Black Album" (or "Load"), whereas Megadeth gets a free pass for "Countdown."

As a fan of both bands, who really enjoyed their previous works, and was barely able to contain the excitement of their impending album releases, "Countdown" was every bit the horrible disappointment that "the Black Album" was. Somehow the passage of time has changed Historical Perspective... I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of others who were rabid fans of both bands during the late 80's and early 90's...

I've listened to "Black", "Load", "Countdown", "Youthanasia" repeatedly, and none of them really did much of anything for me (at least Metallica's lyrics in 'black' were better than crap like 'cycotron' - that one STILL makes me wince). I haven't purchased anything from either of these bands in about a decade, and I don't see that changing now either.

Metallica is better in my opinion because their 80's output is better than Megadeth's 80's output...

Yeah "Master Of Puppets" is the best Metallica and one my personal favs. Its fact not opinion that,that is the best album.Let me tell you a story,about a week ago a kid in my class said he listened to Metallica and told me his fav. album was "St.Anger",and I simply said are you joking.I told him my favorite was Master of puppets and he said it was gay.So my point is any real fan knows "St.Anger" is not their best,or even good at all, and secondly that Master Of Puppets is the best hands down.
----

11.06.2006 - 20:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I completely agree. Right nowp, Megadeth is obviously better. But, I have never liked Megadeth, and I still like the older Metallica stuff, so I gotta vote Metallica here.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.06.2006 - 21:04
Trifixion
Account deleted
Absolutely Megadeth. Maybe back in the day Metallica was so amazing and innovative but these days they just sound weak, and they especially do compared to the likes of Megadeth. I give them credit for the work they did in the time they did, but they had their time and sold out as you said...Megadeth remained solid and is an awesome band, and still sound strong today, something I can't say about Metallica.
12.06.2006 - 00:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 11.06.2006 at 21:04

Absolutely Megadeth. Maybe back in the day Metallica was so amazing and innovative but these days they just sound weak

Anything innovative that Metallica did was because of Dave Mustaine.
12.06.2006 - 01:13
Dam3k

I like St.Anger is something wrong with that?Is it a sin?
----

12.06.2006 - 01:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
lol shit, if you like St. Anger I'm afraid of the other stuff you might like....
13.06.2006 - 01:59
metallica101
Account deleted
i voted for metallica, only for there old stuff. everything newer, i have to admitt does suck. st anger, well. i just laughed when i heard it. if that says anything. i love old metallica, love em. but that new shit aint worken, i hope they realize it...soon.
13.06.2006 - 02:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Dangerboner on 12.06.2006 at 00:51

Written by Guest on 11.06.2006 at 21:04

Absolutely Megadeth. Maybe back in the day Metallica was so amazing and innovative but these days they just sound weak

Anything innovative that Metallica did was because of Dave Mustaine.

I don't know about that... I find "Ride the Lightning" through "...And Justice" to be far more innovative than "Kill 'em All"... what was Dave's contribution to those albums?
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.06.2006 - 02:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, I don't know all the songs he wrote, but I know he wrote Ride the Lightning and Call of Kthulu. He claims to have helped write more than they gave him credit for, such as some stuff on Master of Puppets, but I'm not too sure.
13.06.2006 - 02:57
Trifixion
Account deleted
Heh, figures just about the only Metallica song I like, Ride The Lightning was by Dave
13.06.2006 - 03:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
some stuff on "Ride the Lightning" i could possibly see, as it wasn't too far removed from his departure. I sincerely doubt he any impact on "Master of Puppets." And I still stand by my point - there was a massive jump for the band over the span of hte first four albums, and even if Dave contributed a riff or three for a couple songs, the band matured and developed as a whole, without him.

If you disagree, I would take it to mean you consider nothing outside of parts of "Ride the Lightning" and "Call of Ktulu" to be innovative...
----

13.06.2006 - 05:53
Mega-Slayer

Written by BitterCOld on 13.06.2006 at 03:04

some stuff on "Ride the Lightning" i could possibly see, as it wasn't too far removed from his departure. I sincerely doubt he any impact on "Master of Puppets." And I still stand by my point - there was a massive jump for the band over the span of hte first four albums, and even if Dave contributed a riff or three for a couple songs, the band matured and developed as a whole, without him.

If you disagree, I would take it to mean you consider nothing outside of parts of "Ride the Lightning" and "Call of Ktulu" to be innovative...

Maybe its coincidental,but my favorite song off of Kill em' All is "Jump In Thr Fire" wich Dave wrote.My fav. song off of Ride The Lightning,well 2 fav is "Call Of Kulu" after Fight Fire With Fire.Tied for my fav. song on Master Of Puppets is"Leper Messiah" wich Dave said he wrote.I also love "Four Horsemen",so anyway Dave just seems to make better music,not only is it more melodic,but it has more speed as well.Dave probably wrote a few more songs that we just dont know about.
----

13.06.2006 - 07:29
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by BitterCOld on 13.06.2006 at 03:04

I'm not saying that I hate everything Metallica did without Dave, but the songs written with Kirk Hammett didn't really seem to have a personality to them. Metallica just became predictable after Dave left. I'm sure there are many people that will disagree with me though.
13.06.2006 - 09:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Yeah, I am fairly sure a huge percentage will disagree with you, seeing as most people seem to view "Ride" and "Master" as their best album.

Finally, fuck megadeth. I am sick of the free pass they seem to get - fact is I was your age when "Countdown" came out and it was a huge let down - every bit the disappointment the black album was. Selling out. Slowing down and simplifying songs and filming videos for eMpTy-Vee.

Yet somehow noone seems to mention this.

I guess it shouldn't be that surprising coming from folks who are listening to pretty much every important thrash band in retrospective.

You say Metallica did nothing innovative without Dave. And Dave, in my bitter opinion, did nothing innovative after he kicked heroin.

So there you have it.

Heroin > Dave and/or Metallica.
----

13.06.2006 - 22:20
Mega-Slayer

Written by BitterCOld on 13.06.2006 at 09:00

Yeah, I am fairly sure a huge percentage will disagree with you, seeing as most people seem to view "Ride" and "Master" as their best album.

Finally, fuck megadeth. I am sick of the free pass they seem to get - fact is I was your age when "Countdown" came out and it was a huge let down - every bit the disappointment the black album was. Selling out. Slowing down and simplifying songs and filming videos for eMpTy-Vee.
Well its only right to say James did nothing great after he stopped drinking.
Yet somehow noone seems to mention this.

I guess it shouldn't be that surprising coming from folks who are listening to pretty much every important thrash band in retrospective.

You say Metallica did nothing innovative without Dave. And Dave, in my bitter opinion, did nothing innovative after he kicked heroin.

So there you have it.

Heroin > Dave and/or Metallica.

Than its only fair to say James stopped making good music after he quit drinking.
----

13.06.2006 - 22:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Sorry if I offended you by blasting Mustaine - but it's true. Listen to the riffing and songs in "Peace Sells" and "Rust in Piece" - then go put on "Countdown"... fucking BORING. It's elevator muzak in comparison.

James stopped making good metal long before he quit drinking. Not sure what his/their impetus was.

I still think Metallica's pre 1990 catalog is better than Megadeths.

And I still think Metallica's post 1990 catalog is only slightly better than Megadeths (although both are numblingly boring when compared to either groups 80's work).

I am still confused as to why people shit on Metallica but still worship Dave Mustaine - I guess it's because his attempt at a cash grab wasn't as successful, thus making it more forgivable.
----

13.06.2006 - 22:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by BitterCOld on 13.06.2006 at 22:38

I am still confused as to why people shit on Metallica but still worship Dave Mustaine - I guess it's because his attempt at a cash grab wasn't as successful, thus making it more forgivable.

What are you talking about? Metallica is like 100 times more popular than Megadeth. Almost everyone I know dislikes Dave Mustaine, except for me.

Dave IS a better songwriter than anyone in Metallica. Within the first 3 seconds of listening to a Metallica song, you already know what to expect. At least Dave throws in some surprises and actually has his songs progress.