In what seems to be the news of the week seeing the dazzling amount of news reports alone, none other than Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy will be stepping in to help out Avenged Sevenfold in the studio.

The word from the band reads as follows: "I want our fans to know that with Jimmy in our hearts, our journey to record has officially began. Jimmy helped leave this world an amazing gift and now it's our job to make sure to deliver that gift to our fans. We asked Jimmy's all time favorite drummer Mike Portnoy to record on behalf of him. Mike said it would be an honor and without question that's what Jim would have wanted. It's comforting to us that someone like Mike, who is undoubtedly revered as one of the best drummers in the world, held such respect and adoration for the Rev's abilities. Even though it will never be the same without our brother by our side, his essence lives in our hearts and through the music he helped create. He was a legend before any of the success or any of that bullshit and we are fucking excited to lay this down for our fans, and especially for Jimmy."

In reply, Mike Portnoy issued this statement: "Even under normal circumstances, I would've been happy to help the guys out in any way I could as I think Avenged Sevenfold are a great band... but under these incredibly sad and tragic circumstances, I must say I am truly honored to have been asked to play with them and I didn't even have to think twice about saying "yes."

These guys are a true family and it is an incredibly emotional experience to be here with them for the first time without their lost brother. But they have welcomed me into the family with open arms and there's a real excitement to make the record they had set out to make. I am treating my participation on this album with the utmost respect for Jimmy's memory and am remaining as true as possible to the drum parts that he wrote for the songs and the record he wanted to make. I want their fans to realize that I'm not trying to step into or fill The Rev's shoes... I'm just merely lacing 'em up for him!"

Let the consternation/whining/festivities/more whining begin.

[Also thanks to Dane Train, ja-vi, and BudDa]

Source: avengedsevenfold.com
Band profile: Avenged Sevenfold

Posted: 20.02.2010 by DIO Is God

Comments

Locke - 20.02.2010 at 12:29
Let's get this whining started!
In Bone Factory - 20.02.2010 at 13:00
So mike also has a great personality plus his skill of drumming.
RafaRata - 20.02.2010 at 13:10
I really want to know how is this going to sound!
ItalktotheWind - 20.02.2010 at 13:28
I want to know what the bloody hell he is thinking in respect to this band. I had no ideea he was that affiliated with what is modern metalcore/nu-metal. For shame.
DreamNightmare - 20.02.2010 at 14:25
I really don't care what the haters are saying about this. I like Avenged Sevenfold! and i LOVE Dream Theater so there is no better outcome for me. I am stoked at this news. i'm sure deep down in every metalheads mind they thought that Waking the Fallen had it's moments. Jimmy will be missed but i'm sure he'll be smiling from wherever he is that his all time favourite drummer (and mine) will be recording parts that he wrote
Lit. - 20.02.2010 at 14:57
Written by DreamNightmare on 20.02.2010 at 14:25

I didn't care for Waking the Fallen, I liked City of Evil better.
Anyway, I don't listen to much of Dream Theater, but I hear they are fantastic. So, I can't wait to see how this turns out.
seafood - 20.02.2010 at 15:06
Well, it doesn't matter if they put it like "Mike playing for Jimmy because he would want it like that," still the message is: "Look at us , we've got Portnoy on the record!"
4look4rd - 20.02.2010 at 15:40
Written by ItalktotheWind on 20.02.2010 at 13:28

He is not respecting the band, but he is respecting the people that consist the band. Just because you hate their music (which I do too) doesn't mean that you have to hate the people who are behind it. Portnoy was the guy's favorite drummer, so why wouldn't he do it? It is kind of a last wish thing
YoreLore - 20.02.2010 at 16:11
Written by 4look4rd on 20.02.2010 at 15:40

Written by ItalktotheWind on 20.02.2010 at 13:28

win!

Its not like he is becoming a member of the band full time or anything. I think this band suck large penis but Mike has been a class act and said he will do it for the guys in the band and a fan of his who is now dead.
Vitriolic Hate - 20.02.2010 at 18:01
Just
Daggon - 20.02.2010 at 18:55
Now this is a big news haha, I saw Avenged Sevenfold last year and sincerely didn't impress me, actually I thought they sucked big hairy alien balls (maybe except for their left-handed guitarist). I don't think this will become a great success, if Portnoy is going to play the parts their drummer wrote, then there won't be Portnoyish drumming, well who knows, I'm not a hater of the band, I just think their music sucks.

Just another band added to Mike's curriculum.
INÆRIS - 20.02.2010 at 19:18
The Rev was the only reason I remotely liked Sevenfold for the past few years. Waking the Fallen was absolutely outstanding, but then they went more mainstream with City of Evil, and I lost interest in them a little. Mike will add a lot to the recording, and I hope the outcome is much better than their last two, which just don't do it for me at all.
Black Conundrum - 20.02.2010 at 21:13
I heard about this the other day; I believe that other day was February 17. I enjoy Dream Theater, and Mike Portnoy is an insanely skilled drummer. I wonder how this upcoming album is going to sound. This is great for both Mike Portnoy and Avenged Sevenfold.
ItalktotheWind - 20.02.2010 at 23:50
Written by YoreLore on 20.02.2010 at 16:11

Written by 4look4rd on 20.02.2010 at 15:40

Written by ItalktotheWind on 20.02.2010 at 13:28

win!

Its not that I "hate" the members of the band necessarily. I do however think that Mike Portnoy is one of the most overrated drummers next to Hellhammer (wait for the hate quotes). And avenged sevenfold was annoying enough when they didnt have someone as famous as him. Im just saying that first of all his playing doesnt fit this style, and second of all the style he will be playing is going to be utter shit.
LeChron James - 21.02.2010 at 01:51
WHAAAAAT?! Rev died less than a month ago, it baffles me how they can be in the studio already, and with mike portnoy no less.
Harlequin Devon - 21.02.2010 at 04:38
Written by ItalktotheWind on 20.02.2010 at 13:28

He's openly stated that he's a fan of the band many times. He likes more modern metalcore/nu-metal than you think. One of his favorite bands is Slipknot.
Uirapuru - 21.02.2010 at 05:34
I like their sound.. with a comproved good drummer on their side, the hopes are high.
ItalktotheWind - 21.02.2010 at 05:48
Written by Harlequin Devon on 21.02.2010 at 04:38

Written by ItalktotheWind on 20.02.2010 at 13:28

I had no idea, explains the nu-metal type riffs in Octavarium. Sad though, seeing as how dream theater used to be pretty good.
Shadowcross - 21.02.2010 at 06:56
The problem with Portnoy drumming on this record is that unless he dumbs down his playing heaps, not many touring or subsequent drummers will be able to capture his 'feel'.
Either way I hate fashion bullshit like A7X and hope the rest of them also die.
RhaegarTargaryen - 21.02.2010 at 20:07
Not a big fan of A7X but I respect the fact that Mike decided to help them out. And I really don't understand people who are happy about their drummer dying, I mean you don't have to like the music, but being happy because a musican died ... WTF ...
Lord_Regnier - 21.02.2010 at 21:14
I wonder what a great drummer like Mike Portnoy can have to win by working with a shit band like Avenged Sevenfold.

And, like Shadowcross said, he will have to dumb down his drumming.
Imo, Avenged Sevenfold have something to win in this collaboration but Portnoy has only something to loose.
DayFly - 23.02.2010 at 00:28
I am somewhat surprised that hating on the newestd popular sub-genre of metal is higher on the list than flaunting one's sensitivity. Guess you'll never stop learning.

News Mike Portnoy - Touring With Avenged Sevenfold 10.5 06.05.2010 by Warman
News Mike Portnoy - Leaves Avenged Sevenfold 9 17.12.2010 by INÆRIS
News Avenged Sevenfold - Drummer Dead At 28 7.5 29.12.2009 by kaos666
News Mike Portnoy - Teams Up With John Sykes For New Trio 5.5 29.07.2011 by Dane Train
News Enthroned - Enter Studio Next Week, Part Ways With Regain Records 5.5 06.10.2011 by Megadeth88