Carrion Crows Over Camlan, the upcoming debut album of British pagan metal band The Wolves Of Avalon, will be released in April through Godreah Records.

The Wolves Of Avalon is the new project of The Meads Of Asphodel mainman Metatron. Not wanting to take the Meads into the pagan metal realms, the birth of The Wolves of Avalon, was always going to happen. The Wolves of Avalon is an embodiment of ancient British spirit and pride and not to be confused with any modern interpretation of things long since buried by time and dust. By drafting in JM to create the music and traditional instrumentalist from other bands, Metatron's vision has finally come to life.

The Wolves of Avalon features guest appearances by Rob Darken (Graveland), Verst (Instinct), Roibéard Ó Bogail (Mael Mórdha), Magnus O. Wohlfart (Yggdrasil), Petra Jadrná (Cruadalach), Arvid Vermote (Krigavar), and Rob Wakefield (Aurora-Project).

The music can be termed, Celtic Pagan Metal that simmers in a doleful, almost tragic atmosphere with sporadic up tempo sections to shed light on the Dark Age tale that writhes within. The concept is of the British Celtic Arthurian age much maligned by exaggerated myths and erroneous histories of Britain. The album reflects a period around 500 AD, that existed after the Romans were recalled to defend their homeland from the Barbarian migrations, the same land hungry hordes that were to engulf the warriors and tribes of Britain. This was the era of the Germanic and British wars, and the Arthurian defence of our sacred soil that was to end in defeat at Camlan. The main essence of the lyrical concept is the great victory over the Germanic invaders, at The Battle of Baddon Hill around 500 AD, [also known as Mons Badonicus] Baddon Hill was the great Victory that this album surmounts. This was when the British Celts defeated the Germanic Saxons in the last great Celtic age of heroes. It is ironic to think the Saxons and their fellow invaders, the Angles and Jutes would soon after amalgamate into what would be termed as the England. [Angle land]. This album celebrates the old British pride, the old Gods and the great tribes prior to the alien Germanic incursions. This is an album dedicated to our Pagan ancestors.

Carrion Crows Over Camlan tracklist:

12. Song of the Graves

Source: godreah.com
Band profile: The Meads Of Asphodel

Posted: 27.03.2011 by abraxus

Comments

!J.O.O.E.! - 27.03.2011 at 13:52
Well this is news to me. Anything coming from Metatron is likely to be awesome.
malaikat - 27.03.2011 at 14:15
I tottaly read "This Mighty Ale" instead of "This Mighty Isle"
RavenKing - 27.03.2011 at 15:39
I find the concept, song titles, cover etc interesting.
I will check it but I wonder how it will sound. Reason is I don't like Meads Of Asphodel, as it is simply too experimental and weird for my tastes (I think I'm simply too old school for this kind of stuff).
Mr. Doctor - 27.03.2011 at 15:58
Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 15:39

I find the concept, song titles, cover etc interesting.

Sort of similar thoughts for me. It's not like I don't like them... But it's well... too experimental and it seems like there's not a structure that can justify such experimentation... it feels like it's weird just for the sake of being weird.

The strange part is that deep inside I want to like this so I try them from time to time. So I'm also interested for this stuff maybe it won't be as experimental.
RavenKing - 27.03.2011 at 16:17
Written by Mr. Doctor on 27.03.2011 at 15:58

Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 15:39

I find the concept, song titles, cover etc interesting.

I find it fucked up. So weird and inconsistent it is not possible for me to take it seriously, so I end up seeing it more or less as a joke.
!J.O.O.E.! - 27.03.2011 at 16:24
Written by Mr. Doctor on 27.03.2011 at 15:58

Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 15:39

I find the concept, song titles, cover etc interesting.

Did you ever try Meads' last album? I found it to be very listenable, melodic and flowing, something which you could argue their previous stuff lacked. Maybe I'm just so used to them and their sound at this point that it seemed an easy listen.
Mr. Doctor - 27.03.2011 at 16:27
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 27.03.2011 at 16:24

Nowdays I'm very lazy with downloading... Right now I'm just checking some songs with youtube. But I cans ee myself taking some risks and just buy the latest one.
!J.O.O.E.! - 27.03.2011 at 16:29
Written by Mr. Doctor on 27.03.2011 at 16:27

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 27.03.2011 at 16:24

Well I'd say check out the tracks "My Psychotic Sand Deity" and "Addicted to God" - probably my fave two of that album, though I rather love the whole thing ;kdjhflajdgfkajhgd
Troy Killjoy - 27.03.2011 at 16:46
I'd be more interested in this if it weren't pagan black metal. I always find the 80-20 ratio of "folk" music to black metal annoying.
RavenKing - 27.03.2011 at 16:59
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 16:46

To be honest, even if I'm interested to check the album, I doubt I will like it, precisely for this reason. I don't like pagan metal at all (all the barely-metal commercial stuff heavily Powermetal-influenced). It's way too atmospheric in a boring way, often dragging endlessly, and not intense enough for my tastes or it sounds too much like Powermetal.

The kind of 'pagan' Black Metal I enjoy is stuff like Angantyr, Nocternity, Pagan Hellfire, Spirit Of The Forest, Taake, etc.
But they're more like pure BM bands incorporating folk influences, instruments and using pagan lyrics than what people usually refer to as 'pagan metal'.
Troy Killjoy - 27.03.2011 at 17:02
Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 16:59

On this we totally see eye-to-eye.
Ellrohir - 24.08.2012 at 01:17
I dont really like the album in general, but the song entitled "The War Song Of Beli Mawr" is just fucking epic

News The Meads Of Asphodel - New Album Details Revealed 9.5 03.01.2013 by !J.O.O.E.!
News The Meads Of Asphodel - Band Update 8 04.04.2012 by !J.O.O.E.!
Reviews The Meads Of Asphodel - Jihad 6 15.01.2008 by GT