U.K. death/doom metal pioneers My Dying Bride have announced The Barghest O' Whitby as the title of their new EP, which will be released on November 7th through Peaceville Records on CD and limited vinyl.

The band commented: "Carrying straight on from the success of Evinta found us kind of out of breath for a second; we were already aware of a new-found love of all things bleak and grey and were eager to start writing in a more traditional My Dying Bride style. What did catch us off guard was the increased heaviness and the fresh approach to song writing. Moving away somewhat with the lyrical theme from our usual feeding ground, we found ourselves on the rainy moors of Yorkshire contemplating the story of the Barghest, a supernatural entity hell bent on revenge. The tale now to be told wove itself into a 25-minute epic which initially we thought would be a three part EP, but it simply became one very long song full of everything My Dying Bride and more. The violins conjure lonely tears atop a chasm of epic British doom."

The Barghest O' Whitby was recorded at Futureworks Studios, Manchester, with long-time production partner and engineer, Mags. The release is the first to feature violin/keyboardist Shaun Macgowan, and sees the return of Shaun "Winter" Taylor Steels to the drum-stool for this recording. The cover artwork for The Barghest O' Whitby also appears courtesy of vocalist, Aaron Stainthorpe.

Source: metalunderground.com
Band profile: My Dying Bride

Posted: 07.09.2011 by Cynic Metalhead

Comments

DerRozzengarten - 07.09.2011 at 11:19
Smells like teen spirit (As The Flower Withers/Turn Loose The Swans).
Kenos - 07.09.2011 at 12:15
Come on, maybe it's time to give us some badass doom/death.
DerRozzengarten - 07.09.2011 at 12:18
Amen to that
AXA - 07.09.2011 at 15:09
Finally i have see this cove art it well be dark \../
Carrion Misery - 07.09.2011 at 18:29
Now this looks awesome. Kinda iffy about it being 1 song, but I love epic songs and MDB has always done them well. Great to see Shaun back on drums for this one! He is THE My Dying Bride drummer imo. I'm not shooting down the other drummers because they are all fantastic, but I enjoy Shaun's talent the best; especially since he is featured on my 3 favorite MDB albums. I definitely dig the album art. I wouldn't guess it was MDB w/o the logo, but absolutely like where it's going. Can't wait.
Unhealer - 07.09.2011 at 18:32
Written by DerRozzengarten on 07.09.2011 at 11:19

Smells like teen spirit (As The Flower Withers/Turn Loose The Swans).

Pretty much!!! Really hope this record has an old school feeling
Black Conundrum - 07.09.2011 at 23:36
I'm totally interested in this. It sounds like it could be old school somewhat. The title is sure unusual, but there is no problem with that. By the looks of it, and by the fact that it is one 25-minute song, this is shaping up to be something amazing.
Night Sight - 09.09.2011 at 17:22
Wow!
great news
waiting is begin

News My Dying Bride - New Album Details Revealed 10.5 17.11.2008 by -DC-002-
News My Dying Bride - Reveal New Album Details 9 27.07.2012 by SSM
News My Dying Bride - New Album Title/Track Listing Revealed 9 19.08.2006 by Talvi
News Sigh - New Album Details Revealed 5.5 17.12.2011 by AtrumHiberna