On November 18th, members from high profile Norwegian metal bands, including Darkthrone, Satyricon and Taake, will take part in a live show called "Algir - Støttekonsert For Jonas R. Christiansen", at Bergen's prime rock venue, Garage. The aim is to raise awareness for colon cancer. In addition, Helheim, Gravdal and Slavia themselves will perform in order to help raise funds and provide 31-year-old Jonas Christiansen with a chance to fight the disease.

Diagnosed with colon cancer earlier this year, Slavia's vocalist Jonas Christiansen has gone through conventional treatment at Norwegian hospital Haukeland in Bergen but the prognosis has remained the same. After much deliberation amongst Jonas, friends and N.I.F.A.B. (Norwegian Institute For Alternative Treatment), Danish International Clinic for Cancer Treatment Humlegaarden was picked as the best place to help extend Christiansen's life. By arranging this live show, the organizers hope to raise enough money for Jonas to get additional treatment aside that which he has already received at Haukeland University Hospital in Bergen.

If you cannot go to the show, you can help by donating to the Jonas R. Christiansen's fund here.

Source: facebook.com

Posted: 13.11.2011 by thorsdottir

Comments

Sworn - 13.11.2011 at 14:57
Why the fuck Dani Filth or Dave Mustaine don't get colon cancer?
silenius - 13.11.2011 at 15:03
Written by Sworn on 13.11.2011 at 14:57

Why the fuck Dani Filth or Dave Mustaine don't get colon cancer?

so you would rather give it to dani or dave instead of justin beiber, rebecca black, lady gaga or the black veil brides? are you serious?
VloRD - 13.11.2011 at 18:51
This really makes me proud, real proud to be part of this community...Such household names when it comes to black metal and they are being as selfless as ever...really great to see.
RavenKing - 13.11.2011 at 20:07
Written by VloRD on 13.11.2011 at 18:51

Agreed 100%. Things like that only improve the respect I already have for some Black Metal musicians.
Lets hope it will show to mainstream medias that Black Metal musicians are human beings and can be as sensitive and generous as anybody. Too many people still believe today that BM musicians are murderous church-burning weirdos.

Congratulations to all those involved in this event. And good luck to the guy.
J. N. - 13.11.2011 at 20:07
Written by silenius on 13.11.2011 at 15:03

Written by Sworn on 13.11.2011 at 14:57

Why the fuck Dani Filth or Dave Mustaine don't get colon cancer?

Because they're not metal associated acts and we can't be bothered with that.
Bad English - 13.11.2011 at 20:35
What is colon cancer
wher eis colom?
Lit. - 13.11.2011 at 21:25
This is the kind of charity you never read in newspapers.
That's criminal.
Troy Killjoy - 13.11.2011 at 21:56
Written by Bad English on 13.11.2011 at 20:35
What is colon cancer

You have the internet k7. Use it.
Edmund Fogg - 13.11.2011 at 22:03
Why all this foss to help one single person? If you wanna collect funds collect them for research on the treatment or for a fundation that help other not just for a bandmate. That looks generous, but to me it really looks selfish.
Troy Killjoy - 13.11.2011 at 22:18
Written by Sworn on 13.11.2011 at 14:57
Why the fuck Dani Filth or Dave Mustaine don't get colon cancer?

Ya let's wish death on more people! SO KEWL
Mr. Doctor - 13.11.2011 at 22:27
Written by Edmund Fogg on 13.11.2011 at 22:03
but to me it really looks selfish.

You see... your comment is as backwards as if you told me that I'm selfish if I gave money to some lady begging on the street instead of giving money to charity.

Please explain to me how this people are being selfish if they want to help a bandmate, a friend, a human being.
I really think you don't know what selfish means, this people aren't acting for their own self.

I can accept the fact that it's "less generous" than raising funds for cancer research but less generous is not the same as "selfish".
Troy Killjoy - 13.11.2011 at 22:51
Written by Mr. Doctor on 13.11.2011 at 22:27

Exactly. Besides, it's not like the celebrity who decides to donate to help find a cure for an illness only because he was diagnosed with that illness a week ago. These guys are helping raise awareness for a disease and are doing everything in their power to help a brother in arms. If they had Bill Gates kind of money I'm sure they'd donate the fuck out of it to research.
Black Conundrum - 14.11.2011 at 01:33
This is really nice of those musicians to participate in a charity concert like this. I hope that what results is the funds necessary to thwart that disease that the guy has. Cancer is inconvenient.
Edmund Fogg - 14.11.2011 at 02:05
Written by Mr. Doctor on 13.11.2011 at 22:27

Written by Edmund Fogg on 13.11.2011 at 22:03
but to me it really looks selfish.

The way I see it, they're asking the public to pay for someone elses medical bill. Help out your loved ones yes, but don't involve the public when it's a decision like this. If you can't afford private clinics don't go to private clinics. Real generosity would be to think of the others in the same situation as him and collect funds to make these treatments more accessible to them. That's just my point of view.

AS for giving money to a bum rather then a charity, that's not selfish, but a waste of money. Many charities exists to help people get out of the streets but also stay out. The bum you give money too won't be gratefull and will probably be at the same corner months away.
SlaytanicGonzo - 14.11.2011 at 02:56
Written by Edmund Fogg on 13.11.2011 at 22:03

In part, this is true. But still, good for them for helping a cause.
LeChron James - 14.11.2011 at 08:34
Good cause, I'm feelin it. Good luck to Jonas.
Mr. Doctor - 14.11.2011 at 15:40
Written by Edmund Fogg on 14.11.2011 at 02:05
If you can't afford private clinics don't go to private clinics.

Those clinics just happen (oh my god wonder why?) to have far better attention than the public ones who are just plain useless most of the time specially when it comes to cancer.
I guess the funds for Chuck's health were also very selfish, right?
You say "don't involve the public".... If the public doesn't want to go is perfectly fine... But people went to those concerts because they wanted Chuck, their beloved musician, alive and also have a good time. But if that fact didn't get through you it's fine... as you just keep missing the difference of what you say and what's really going on.

Also... you are wrong when you say "they're asking the public to pay for someone elses medical bill".
You would be right if there wasn't anything in return for the public but this isn't the case because the public will get something in return (a good show). If that was the only reason you think this act is selfish then I can't help but feel surprised since it's not like you make it look like at all.

If there was just a link that said "help this guy with his bill" and nothing else IT WOULD be selfish but this is obviously not the case because it's a win-win thing except for some people and you know who? The musicians that will play at the concert, they are just doing it because they want to do it, giving something to the fans (a lot of people would like to see a show with people from bands like Darkthrone that never play live) that they will obviously appreciate and at the same time give something to a fellow musician (who probably didn't ask for it) whom the public obviously would like to help as well (otherwise: don't go to the concert, duh!) and if you call that selfish, well... there's just nothing else to talk about with you.
A shame that they can't make a fund for research (probably because it will be a small concert anyway) but to call the act itself selfish is beyond me. Like Troy said before, if they could make it bigger I'll bet they would donate in larger proportions but they can't and they aren't selfish for that.
Edmund Fogg - 14.11.2011 at 18:06
Written by Mr. Doctor on 14.11.2011 at 15:40

Written by Edmund Fogg on 14.11.2011 at 02:05
If you can't afford private clinics don't go to private clinics.

I guess the funds for Chuck's health were also very selfish, right?

First things first, I knew from the start I missused the term selfish, but decided to stick with it in the end and see the reactions it would cause. Putting someone else's life before your own profit or convictions (in the case of Darkthrone) is cmmendable and far from being selfish. I'm just dissapointed to see they chose the short term benifits of such an event rather then the long term ones. As for the fact that it's a small show anyway, if everyone believed that, no research would ever get made. Any funds help research should it be a penny or 100$. And I don't know anybody by the name of Chuck.
Mr. Doctor - 14.11.2011 at 18:19
Written by Edmund Fogg on 14.11.2011 at 18:06

hey what you know... we agree.

Quote:
Im just dissapointed to see they chose the short term benifits of such an event rather then the long term ones. As for the fact that it's a small show anyway, if everyone believed that, no research would ever get made. Any funds help research should it be a penny or 100$.

I agree with you as well. It's just that I didn't choose to be dissapointed. I preffer to see the glass half full. My dissapointment didn't stop me from seeing the goodness o the act.

Quote:
And I don't know anybody by the name of Chuck.

Not familiar with the band Death? That's... unusual.

PS: If at any moment I sounded like a dick in my previous posts, excuse me.
Edmund Fogg - 14.11.2011 at 20:39
^ Nah you didn't sound like a dick, it was the reaction I was hoping for.Tbh I thought more people would rise against my rant. And I only know Death by name. I got into Metal in the beggining around 03 and 04 and never really botherred listening to their music. Even if I did, it's rare that I take interestet in the members or the history behind the music. With MS i'm starting more and more to do so with bands I like.

News One And All, Together, For Home - Full Compilation Streaming 6 18.05.2014 by Bad English
Albums Primordial - One And All, Together, For Home 4.5 12.03.2014 by Troy Killjoy
News Terror - Featuring ATG And Dissection Members - Demo Online 4.5 12.02.2008 by BurbotsRevenge
News Hellfest - Special Bustrip For Netherlands And Belgium 4.5 08.12.2009 by Black Conundrum
News Nightwish - Nominated For "Emma" And "Echo" Awards 4 23.01.2008 by Warman