Ronnie James Dio's widow Wendy Dio has revealed that she will be putting together a tribute album to honor one of the greatest metal legends that ever lived, her husband. So far, names such as Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Lemmy Kilmister (Motörhead), Ian Gillan (Black Sabbath), Alice Cooper, Glenn Hughes (Black Sabbath), Sebastian Bach (Skid Row), Chris Jericho (Fozzy) and Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) have promised to take part of the tribute, planned to be released until the end of the year.

It is also confirmed that Dave Grohl will be covering Black Sabbath's song "The Mob Rules" and Rob Halford from Judas Priest will do the same for Rainbow's "Long Live Rock 'n' Roll". All the artists will have complete creative freedom in the choosing and recording of the songs.

Source: loudwire.com
Band profile: Dio

Posted: 15.01.2012 by ArgoP

Comments

Bad English - 15.01.2012 at 13:48
Ok ok all is good but who is Fozzy and Chris Jericho one more comersation , since I never heard about Fozzy
The Shape 1973 - 15.01.2012 at 13:54
Hope they make a good job of it. Maybe they can do some of the more obscure songs, not just Holy Diver and Long Live Rock And Roll.
Milena - 15.01.2012 at 15:40
Written by The Shape 1973 on 15.01.2012 at 13:54

Hope they make a good job of it. Maybe they can do some of the more obsure songs, not just Holy Diver and Long Live Rock And Roll.

+1. I also like the names so far.
Apothecary - 15.01.2012 at 18:22
As much as this sounds interesting, I think I might stick with the other tribute album, Holy Dio: A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio, the one that has all the power metal bands doing covers of songs from across his career. Power metal is a genre massively influenced by Dio's work, so therefore it seems a bit more... fitting, for lack of a better word, to have such bands doing covers of his material. If anyone's never picked up that album by the way, I highly recommend it. The Yngwie cover of Gates of Babylon and Stratovarius's version of Kill the King are awesome.
vezzy - 15.01.2012 at 18:44
I'm neutral concerning tribute albums. Some covers can be pretty good (see Cathedral's cover of "Solitude" off Nativity in Black), but often they are nothing noteworthy or downright boring (Slatanic Slaughter or some shit, although YMMV, since I don't remember much of it).
moe5512 - 15.01.2012 at 18:50
I think that Dio's death is old news already, this just feels like a way for the producers to get lodz of moneez
JohnDoe - 15.01.2012 at 18:54
Written by The Shape 1973 on 15.01.2012 at 13:54

I agree but I doubt they will do less known songs like you say, that would be an awesome surprise.
RavenKing - 15.01.2012 at 18:54
Written by moe5512 on 15.01.2012 at 18:50

This is old news, Imo. He passed away almost 2 years ago.
JohnDoe - 15.01.2012 at 19:04
Written by moe5512 on 15.01.2012 at 18:50

this will be done for charity reasons. So the "lodz of moneez" will go for charity.
Soviet - 15.01.2012 at 20:09
Chris Jericho? way to try and get that WWE nonsense into this... Sure, he's in a metal band, but he's definetly not a METAL legend.
moe5512 - 15.01.2012 at 20:21
Written by JohnDoe on 15.01.2012 at 19:04

That they claim, yes
AndMetalForAll - 15.01.2012 at 21:25
Great news!!
BitterCOld - 15.01.2012 at 21:43
Written by moe5512 on 15.01.2012 at 20:21

Written by JohnDoe on 15.01.2012 at 19:04

That they claim, yes

If Wendy Dio is involved, YES.
Iron Nostarion - 15.01.2012 at 22:18
Written by Soviet on 15.01.2012 at 20:09

I was going to joke about Chris Jericho being a wrestler name and thought the musician was someone else, but now I'm really amazed. XD
malaikat - 15.01.2012 at 22:49
Seriously, who is this Fozzy person and why is he relevant.
Troy Killjoy - 15.01.2012 at 23:40
Written by malaikat on 15.01.2012 at 22:49
Seriously, who is this Fozzy person and why is he relevant.

Fozzy is Chris Jericho's heavy metal band... he's best known for his work in the WWF/WWE.
Olli - 16.01.2012 at 01:19
None of these talented musicians will be able to bring the power that Dios vocals added to his songs. It will be an interesting listen though.
Mindheist - 16.01.2012 at 01:36
Come on Maiden, come on Metallica, come on Diamond Head; Sabbath, Priest and Motorhead are waiting for you to complete the lineup. Only legends should honor him. Only soldiers from the dark times should sing his praises.
LeChron James - 16.01.2012 at 06:52
Well, I'm down. If it's better than the To Heaven Through Hell, I'll be satisfied.
ScreamingSteelUS - 16.01.2012 at 07:06
I already love the concept, but I have to wonder why Ian Gillan is credited as being in Black Sabbath rather than Deep Purple. Yes, I realize he was actually IN Sabbath, but Deep Purple is where the magic happened. That's common knowledge.
Lethean - 16.01.2012 at 08:03
Written by moe5512 on 15.01.2012 at 18:50

I got the same idea
Marcel Hubregtse - 16.01.2012 at 10:08
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 16.01.2012 at 07:06

same applies to Glen Hughes
ScreamingSteelUS - 16.01.2012 at 10:11
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.01.2012 at 10:08

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 16.01.2012 at 07:06

same applies to Glen Hughes

Yeah, I didn't even notice that. They could have listed his impressive credits in the space where Sebastian Bach is now.
Angelic Storm - 16.01.2012 at 10:55
Written by BitterCOld on 15.01.2012 at 21:43
If Wendy Dio is involved, YES.

Yep. As this tribute is officially endorsed by Wendy, it almost certainly means the proceeds from this album will be going to charity.

With the exception of Chris Jericho, who is anything but a metal legend, and shouldn't be included on this, I'm happy with how the lineup is looking thus far. Ronnie does deserve some of the top names in metal and true legends to pay tribute to him. Although it is unfortunately unlikely that we will get any less well known-songs turning up on this album, I'm still pretty excited for this.
M C Vice - 16.01.2012 at 10:58
Well, Gillen was Dio's replacement in Sabbath, so maybe the man Dio replaced will turn up. Anyone else curious to hear Ozzy sing Heavan & Hell?
Angelic Storm - 16.01.2012 at 11:03
Written by M C Vice on 16.01.2012 at 10:58

Valentin B - 16.01.2012 at 11:52
Hmm, Ozzy singing Heaven and Hell would sound pretty out of place imo though I would still be quite interested in hearing it. actually I kinda hope they'll do at least one song off the Dio stuff on this 2012 tour.
M C Vice - 16.01.2012 at 12:01
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.01.2012 at 11:03

Written by M C Vice on 16.01.2012 at 10:58

He was, and I think "Born Again" is a very underrated album, although it's production is awful. There was a lot of animosity between Ozzy and Ronnie whilst Ronnie was still alive, so I'm not sure if he will be involved or not. Though I can't deny, it would be interesting to hear Ozzy do one of Ronnie's classics, and it would be a very fitting tribute. I wonder if there's a way they could edit that together (it would rely on Dio having sung it sometime, though.)

I've always thought that Over To You, the last song Ozzy sang on Never Say Die, would have worked well as a duet with Dio - sort of handing the raighns over to his successor ("I handed my future over to you").
I also reckon that Rising, Streetwalker, I, Fear and I Could Have Been A Dreamer should be on it (with Bruce Dickenson doing Streetwalker, or maybe Halford or Kiske).
And the guy who replaced Dio in Rainbow should be there, too. Also, I reckon Born Again was better than Mob Rules.
RavenKing - 17.01.2012 at 01:27
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.01.2012 at 10:55

I think Sebitchian Back is anything but a metal legend either and I wonder what the hell he's doing there.
Skid Row is not even a metal band.
Angelic Storm - 17.01.2012 at 01:34
Written by RavenKing on 17.01.2012 at 01:27
Skid Row is not even a metal band.

Well, at least that is a matter for debate. Also, Ronnie was a legend of hard rock as well as metal, so even if what you said was true, then Sebastian has a right to be on it. Or at least, more of a right than Chris Jericho, who is major claim to fame is "wrestling", not rock or metal.
RavenKing - 17.01.2012 at 01:43
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.01.2012 at 01:34

Written by RavenKing on 17.01.2012 at 01:27
Skid Row is not even a metal band.

I see where you're coming from but I think Sebastian Back is simply too young, anyway. He doesn't belong to the same group of (old) metalheads like the others. I mean, people around Dio's age.
M C Vice - 17.01.2012 at 09:39
Will someone do Rainbow Eyes?
Angelic Storm - 17.01.2012 at 10:18
Written by M C Vice on 16.01.2012 at 12:01

I've actually never thought that about that song until now, but yep it would have worked very well as a duet I think.

There are a lot of lesser known songs I'd like to see on this album, but I know there won't be many, if any. I think Bruce would be great on "Streetwalker", or something more darkly epic like "Gates Of Babylon". Gillan would do an awesome performance of the latter I think too, or "Computer God". I think Michael Kiske would do a great "Rock N' Roll Children", or "Stargazer".

You mean Graham Bonnet? That would certainly be very interesting to hear. As for "Born Again" being better than "Mob Rules"... "Mob Rules" would slightly edge it for me, but "Born Again" is still mostly great, and very underrated I think.

@Ravenking: Well, Sebastian isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore, but I can see what you're getting at. Even so, my intitial point that he fits into this project much better than Chris Jericho, is still a valid one I feel.
The Shape 1973 - 17.01.2012 at 11:32
I hope that they are all new recordings. There are a lot of Dio cover versions out there that I already own.

Would love to hear Stargazer, Gates Of Babylon, All The Fools Sailed Away, Shame On The Night, Egypt The Chains Are On, Evilution, Night People, Sunset Superman, Sacred Heart, Born On The Sun, Buried Alive, I, Bible Black or Shivers.

Can guarantee that we will get Holy Diver, Don't Talk to Strangers, Heaven And Hell, Stand Up And Shout, Man On The Silver Mountain, Neon Knights and Rainbow In The Dark. I love these songs but they have been done before. Lets have something different that the real fans will not already own as a cover version.
Angelic Storm - 17.01.2012 at 13:49
Written by The Shape 1973 on 17.01.2012 at 11:32

Absolutely perfect choices! All of them would be great to hear on this album. Also, "Time Machine", "I Speed At Night", "Falling Off The Edge Of The World", "Faces In The Window", "Jesus, Mary, & The Holy Ghost", "Killing The Dragon", "Lonely Is The Word"... I could go on forever actually...
M C Vice - 18.01.2012 at 09:16
Have they said who'll be playing the music?
How about this Dio Tribute Band:
Drums - Vinnie Apiece (Black Sabbath, Dio, Heaven & Hell)
Bass - Jimmy Bain (Rainbow, Dio)
Keys/piano - Micky Lee Soule (Elf)
and the ultimate dual guitar combo - Tony Iommi and Richie Blackmore
The Shape 1973 - 22.01.2012 at 13:49
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.01.2012 at 13:49

Written by The Shape 1973 on 17.01.2012 at 11:32

Faces In The Window, well anything from the Dream Evil album would be great. The Strange Highways and Master Of The Moon have some real overlooked gems. I hated Strange Highways when it came out, but now I get it. No salvation for Angry Machines and Magica though.
Angelic Storm - 22.01.2012 at 14:59
Written by The Shape 1973 on 22.01.2012 at 13:49

Pretty much agreed on everything here. "Dream Evil" might just be my favourite Dio solo album, so just about anything from that would be most welcome. Both "Strange Highways" and "Master Of The Moon" have many great songs on them despite being overlooked albums in his discography. "Angry Machines" and "Magica" are both weak albums, with the former album only containing one song I love. ("Don't Tell The Kids") "Magica" isn't quite as bad, but it's got an awful lot of filler on it.
The Shape 1973 - 22.01.2012 at 15:09
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.01.2012 at 14:59

Written by The Shape 1973 on 22.01.2012 at 13:49

I'd have to go for Hunter Of The Heart for the great bass line. Maybe This Is Your Life as well.
Angelic Storm - 22.01.2012 at 16:30
Written by The Shape 1973 on 22.01.2012 at 15:09

I think it says a lot about that album that I can't even recall what those songs sound like, and "Magica" is much the same for me...
bleak - 22.01.2012 at 17:12
Why is Dave Grohl everywhere?
Whoblehwah - 22.01.2012 at 21:45
1. Why do Ian Gillian and Glenn Hughes have Black Sabbath next to their names when both are more famous for being in Deep Purple? That just seems a bit off to me.

2. Lol at everyone crying about Chris Jericho. I hope Tenacious D is added to the line up just to make people cry even more.
Angelic Storm - 22.01.2012 at 23:14
Written by Whoblehwah on 22.01.2012 at 21:45

1. It is likely because they have a strong connection with Dio, as all 3 were members of Sabbath.

2. Ironic, making a comment about crying which is in itself completely childish. Hurrah!

News Ronnie James Dio - Tribute Album Coming In April 10.5 06.02.2014 by Nemo Atkins
News Ronnie James Dio - Tribute Album Available For Free Download 10.5 11.07.2011 by Angelic Storm
News Midnattsol - New Album In The Works 7 02.03.2013 by
News Huntress - New Album In The Works 7 15.02.2013 by Lit.
News Atrocity - New Album Featuring Frontman Alex Krull's Sister In The Works 7 13.11.2009 by dismaleuphony