Australian metallers Ne Obliviscaris have seen their song "And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope" from their debut album Portal Of I included in a teaching curriculum at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, one of Australia's most prestigious classical Conservatories. The song will undergo a compositional analysis by Professor Matthew Hindson, Chair of Composition at the Conservatorium. "And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope" will be studied as part of the curriculum.

Matthew Hindson is a renowned classical composer whose works have been performed by ensembles and orchestras throughout the world.

Professor Hindson commented: "I will be presenting 'And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope' to the composition students at the Conservatorium next semester as an exemplar in structure, mixing timbres, meters, modes, how to approach virtuosity, sound and noise, extended performance and techniques. The students will need to study 2 technical aspects of what Ne Obliviscaris have done in their music, and then use these techniques in their own classical music compositions."

The Professor continues: "It is my pleasure to introduce such high quality music making to our students, alongside other music by composers including Beethoven, Gershwin, Steve Reich and Peter Sculthorpe. Musicians deserve to hear the music of Ne Obliviscaris, and the music of many other metal bands, in order to appreciate the compositional complexity that lies within it, no matter what their musical tastes."

The band posted this message on their Facebook: "In what is possibly the biggest compliment of our career so far, our song 'And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope' is being studied and analysed by composition students at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music alongside composers such as Beethoven & Gershwin! Seriously! Totally blown away..."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Ne Obliviscaris

Posted: 04.07.2013 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Uldreth - 09.07.2013 at 17:20
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 09.07.2013 at 16:51

Well to put that "lame" comment into context a more accurate opinion of them would be "overrated." I don't think they're at all bad, just a bit average and not worthy of the huge amount of praise they get. Musically I find them overblown, overproduced and soulless. The "extreme" sections just sound messy and forced, and the other parts sound a bit cheesy and far too grandiose with all that sickly melody. Overall I just find they do a lot with their instruments but don't really make much in terms of music because they're trying hard to be technical, epic and extreme all at the same time. If they stopped trying to do so much and learn to be a bit more organic in their approach I might appreciate them.

My only problem with them is that sometimes their songs seem disjointed, the same thing that plagues let's say Opeth's first album, an album that I'd say is quite similiar to this.

On the other hand I find the clean sections with "all that sickly melody" to have a quite lush and powerful atmosphere and they use soft-harsh dynamics very well on the album which is the primary reason why I like it so much.
!J.O.O.E.! - 09.07.2013 at 17:23
Written by Uldreth on 09.07.2013 at 17:20

I find that kind of dynamic works better when used conservatively. Focus on one then have a kind of pay-off with the other which dramatically improves its implementation and becomes a point of note on that particular song. For me this kind of random and constant back and forth and combining of the two really diminishes both sides of their music.
Uldreth - 09.07.2013 at 17:39
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 09.07.2013 at 17:23

Looks like we are going to disagree on this

However I mainly agree with your sentiment, just I think it applies to this album too. I don't think most harsh sections on this are that great (not bad by any means either though), but they accent the melodies within the cleans sections very well and that's where this album's strengths really lie imo.

I also consider Hypno5e's last album which, if I remember well, you liked, to be similiar to this in terms of songwriting approach, the clinical/mechanical sounding mathy grinding on it is pretty okay but I tend to like the soft sections there more than the chugging as well, however the harsh sections work very well to provide contrast for the cleans.

I understand your point though, but I think this is even more subject to subjectivity than most other things because at least as much I can grasp this, this sort of songwriting is rather hard to measure qualitatively, it just sometimes clicks other time does not.
!J.O.O.E.! - 09.07.2013 at 17:48
Written by Uldreth on 09.07.2013 at 17:39

I find Hypno5e more effective because the sounds used on that album are more compatible than the sounds here, or at least produced in a way that seem so. Hypno5e deliberately use a clinical sound and combine it with minimalism and ambience, and do it in a tasteful way that segues together more naturally, rather than here which consists of a lot of dominant melodies, sounds and instruments which feel rammed down one's throat. Mine anyway.

I would never argue the subjective nature of these discussions, but I do think a person apply some pretty good logic and thought to them
Rodney - 09.07.2013 at 22:32
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 09.07.2013 at 17:12

Written by Rodney on 09.07.2013 at 17:09

Can't say that I've ever heard of them. It the demo available anywhere online? And yeah 14 years will do things to a band, for better or worse.

Can't see it anywhere other than here, a couple of tracks on Youtube. Really nice demo though.

That being said, you might prefer the full length, here.

Will definitely check out both. Thanks.
Daggon - 24.07.2013 at 20:33
Well, that was quite unexpected.

Pages: 1 [2]

News Ne Obliviscaris - Another New Song Released 6 09.10.2014 by Alondate
News Holocausto Canibal - Sign With Xtreem Music, New Song Online 4 13.02.2012 by BloodTears
General metal forum Which metal song you'd play if you'd plan to commit suicide 3 31.10.2010 by Kennoth
Musicians corner Lets all write a really bad song together 3 01.04.2011 by Yasmine
General metal forum Last Song In Your Life 3 15.09.2012 by Ellrohir