Broken Hope have announced that a fan's throat was slit with a box cutter at last night's concert at Tricky Falls in El Paso, Texas. Police and paramedics were seen at the venue and no further information has been revealed at this point. The death metallers are touring with Deicide, Disgorge and Necronomicon (CAN) in North America on the No Salvation Tour 2013.

The band released this message: "Broken Hope just learned a fan got their throat cut with a box cutter during Broken Hope's set tonight in El Paso. Cops and paramedics are all over the place. Please send warm wishes to this fan."

No other details on the condition of the fan or if there were any other injuries have been reported at this time. Hopefully, he/she can recover.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Broken Hope

Posted: 23.10.2013 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Marcel Hubregtse - 24.10.2013 at 14:50
Written by Spirit Molecule on 24.10.2013 at 14:42

talkling about falling down and people picking you up. The more extreme the music the more that happens. I have noticed at loads of non extreme metal gigs people falling over and not being helped up even to the extent that people stand on them so as to get a better view of the band (happend at both Fates Warning and Queensryche gigs I was at).
Angelic Storm - 24.10.2013 at 14:57
Written by Spirit Molecule on 24.10.2013 at 14:42
The media is going to be all over this again and start the whole "metal creates angry teenagers" bullshit. And I agree with people here about mosh pits, you fall down and someone does pick you up always. People don't watch you fall and kick the shit out of you when you're down, that never happens 99.99% of the time.

I have seen some real douchebags at certain concerts I've been too, who actually do want to hurt people. But I've also had complete strangers offer me help at concerts too. I remember seeing Anthrax in 2005, and I thought I was well out of the way of the mosh pit, when these 3 lunatics came charging at me deliberately like bulls in a china shop, and knocked me over, and my glasses fell off. Immediately afterwards, a guy in front of me (NOT one of the guys who'd actually bowled me over) came over and asked me if I was okay, and helped me search for my glasses, and eventually found them, though they were badly damaged from being trampled on, so I couldn't see the rest of the show. That was an interesting incident, because I saw the worst and the best types of metalheads within moments of each other. The problem is, it's the morons that make the rest of us look bad in the eyes of those who don't understand metal and it's fans...
Spirit Molecule - 24.10.2013 at 15:06
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.10.2013 at 14:50

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.10.2013 at 14:57

Well that is true, there are always assholes, but most of the time you have people who are just there to have fun and enjoy a bit of moshing. Can't speak about the people into hardcore dancing and those ninja shit, those guys are quite annoying.

I've always been picked up and have always picked up people who have fallen in a mosh. Most of the time you get pulled up and they pat the dust off your back and you're back in the pit again. I haven't been in a pit in ages though, but I've noticed that some of them do sometimes get quite violent. I'm quite safe on stage though, but I do love watching pits break out while we're onstage, it's an awesome feeling for some reason
immortal83 - 24.10.2013 at 16:36
I remember someone from security staff at a festival who told me that registering people was very necessary, because they discovered someone trying to introduce a "machete" hidden in the back earlier that day.
Øyvind - 24.10.2013 at 18:57
Written by immortal83 on 24.10.2013 at 16:36

I remember that a guy wanted to smuggle a hatchet on a black metal gig, luckily the security staff stopped him. Also, on a reggae show, someone threw teargas into the club, took the club staff several hours to vent the gas out.

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.10.2013 at 14:57

I lost my glasses on an Iron Maiden concert a few years ago. A drunken guy was wawing around and hit me in the face, a few people tried to help me find the glasses, but almost nothing survived, only small pieces. The concert was a blur from then on
IronArkadius666 - 24.10.2013 at 19:09
Written by BitterCOld on 24.10.2013 at 02:25

Funny some people consider assault with a deadly weapon metal.

semantics aside, El Paso fucking podunk. I've been there. it's not just podunk, it's shady podunk. sure it qualifies as a "city" for you literal nerds who base it just upon raw numbers as to what defines a city, but that doesn't make a "city" a CITY. it's a place to stop, get gas and grab a meal and maybe catch some z's before you continue your road trip to a proper destination.

Apparently the proper definition of a city is a large settlement that has a cathedral in it, not sure how true that is... or where I heard that from.
Marcel Hubregtse - 24.10.2013 at 19:15
Written by IronArkadius666 on 24.10.2013 at 19:09

I think it varies per country. Here it has to do with possessing some sort of charter.

btw the wikipage is quite clarifying I would say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City
Uldreth - 24.10.2013 at 19:20
What a fucking douchebag.

Edit: Oops. No idea why I wrote this here, was intended for the Glen drama.
IronArkadius666 - 24.10.2013 at 19:22
Quote:

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying that.
Lord_Regnier - 25.10.2013 at 02:38
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.10.2013 at 05:21

I can see your point, but how far would you want to go, as far as censoring certain lyrical content in metal? Slayer have been accused in the past, more than once, of influencing certain unbalanced people to carry out murderous acts. There was one case, a few years ago, where 3 teenage boys raped and murdered a 15 year old girl in a ritualistic way, which the girl's parents claimed was inspired by Slayer's music. The case against Slayer was thrown out of court, but metal music has a long history of being accused of inspiring murders and suicides. And Slayer's lyrics are nowhere near as extreme as some gore band's lyrics, so where do you draw the line at what's acceptable and what isn't? Some people would love to see Slayer censored and banned for their lyrical content.

The sad fact of the matter, is that extreme genres of metal will always attract a sizeable minority, for whom a lust for violence and obnoxious behaviour is inexplicably entwined with "being metal". Just to use Slayer as an example once again, I love Slayer, but a lot of their fans are total morons, and I'm embarrassed to share my musical tastes with such people, because to non-metal listeners who are ignorant, it's people like that who embody what people who like metal are like. Metal (especially the more extreme genres) will always attract a certain "tough guy" crowd, for whom liking metal is all part and parcel of their vulgar and over the top personalities.

I don't believe violent music, movies, or games can change a perfectly nice, stable, empathetic human being into a psychopath. But there are some people who are pre-disposed to certain unsavoury behaviours, and are already disturbed mentally, and for those sorts of people, violence in media can serve as a "trigger", or give people ideas for how to carry out specific harm, that they may not have had otherwise. But aside from banning depicting all violence in all media, there is no way of preventing this from happening.

I have a friend who doesn't listen to metal who once said he thought I was "too nice" to be into metal, which I think is the perfect embodiment of the attitude that non-metal listeners have towards people who do like metal. I'm not a bad person because I like bands like Slayer and Cannibal Corpse, but lots of people would wrongly assume so just because I listen to such bands. Incidences like this one are horrifying, but I don't think censoring content is the answer... *sighs*

You know how much I despise gore lyrics and don't see the point. I made my opinion very clear a few times already.
Now, should we ban this kind of lyrics? No, I wouldn't go that far. It is censorship and I stand for freedom of speech.
If you have issues with lyrics, just don't listen to bands who use this kind of lyrics.

In my case, it can be a bit strange, because I have no problem with lots of violent lyrics, while I can't stand gore. Being a fan of extreme Metal genres, I think it would be a real problem for me if I took issues with lyrics too easily. My choice would be way too limited. In the case of gore lyrics, bands that use them usually belong to the Brutal Death genre, so I would not listen to them anyway because I don't like this kind of music. I don't think I miss any music I would otherwise enjoy, only because of lyrical content.

It is impossible to draw a line at what's acceptable or not. It depends on the perception of the person and it varies from an individual to another. For example, I know that lots of people would have issues with lyrics in many bands I'm listening to, even if I don't have.

Slayer have been sued many times in the past and have been accused of pretty much everything a band can be accused of, but it never prevented me to be a huge fan of their material until "Seasons In The Abyss". But I know many people who will frown just at the mention of the name 'Slayer'.

Yes, violence in any kind of media can act as a trigger for mentally insane people. But there is nothing we can do about it. For me, banning violence in all medias is not an option.
Lit. - 26.10.2013 at 20:05
AM I LATE FOR THE WILLY BASHING?!
Maco - 28.10.2013 at 00:43
Written by Lit. on 26.10.2013 at 20:05

AM I LATE FOR THE WILLY BASHING?!

Mattybu - 28.10.2013 at 03:47
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 23.10.2013 at 22:46

Written by RottingDeathHead on 23.10.2013 at 22:38

Then you've obviously never read any death metal lyrics, because I've heard many bands sing about about cutting a few throats.

Precisely the difference: SING about doing it. Metal was always about extreme artistic expression as a release; not acting out these expressions on other people. How many metal-related murders has there been during metal's existence? Very few. Even in black metal there's been what, 2? Compare this to say, Hip-Hop. You could argue that that's a culture with strong links to murder. I don't see many gore-themed rap bands, do you? Use your head and read between the lines.

I don't think rap is about acting out on the actions of the music either.... Most of the time violent stuff in rap lyrics is shock value or it's more like story telling. Rappers from ghetto ass neighborhoods mostly lived ghetto ass lives before rapping, the idea isn't for people to listen to the music and be like "damn, he might be on to something, I should go kill some fools", especially since the target demographic for most rap is getting younger and younger. And any person who listens to a rap song and does something violent is just as dumb as the Stained Class Shotgun Shenanigan Squad. I guess the difference is that the violence described in rap music is something down to earth that happens a lot and in metal a lot of the time it's demons and zombies with chainsaw dicks and the like.
Uldreth - 28.10.2013 at 13:57
Written by Mattybu on 28.10.2013 at 03:47

This much is true for underground hip-hop, but looking at the "lyrics" for some of the more mainstream gangsta rap type stuff I really do think it sometimes just gets on the other side of the horse.
Mattybu - 28.10.2013 at 14:16
Written by Uldreth on 28.10.2013 at 13:57

Written by Mattybu on 28.10.2013 at 03:47

Well ignoring the fact that mainstream gangsta rap is a paradox in itself nowadays, the use of cliche violent themes over and over is comparable to metal. I think the real only difference between the 2 genres is rap is pretty much completely dead and it's last clutches at life are being cut off, and metal is only dying, not quite there yet.
!J.O.O.E.! - 28.10.2013 at 14:33
Written by Mattybu on 28.10.2013 at 14:16

Be that as it may, things like this separate it quite clearly from metal in its extremity.
Marcel Hubregtse - 28.10.2013 at 15:05
Written by Mattybu on 28.10.2013 at 14:16

..., and metal is only dying, not quite there yet.

dying? it's never been healthier than in this current day and age.
!J.O.O.E.! - 28.10.2013 at 15:10
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.10.2013 at 15:05

dying? it's never been healthier than in this current day and age.

Somehow missed that and quoted him on the wrong comment. How on earth do people justify saying metal is dying or dead? Totally baffling considering how much it's thriving.
Mattybu - 28.10.2013 at 22:51
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 28.10.2013 at 14:33

Written by Mattybu on 28.10.2013 at 14:16

rap

Eh, 20 or so people, I would contend that plenty of them probably would have gotten murdered at some point or another music aside. The east coast-west coast nonsense shit parade is the only example I know of that basically 100% because of music and music related circumstances a couple of fine rappers got killed (not that I would take the time to do my research like a good little schoolboy and look at the stories behind some of those other guys I don't know about). I doubt we will ever see something like that again though.

But yeah as for my comment about metal dying, I stand by that, and that comment is not referring to anything quantity wise or based on how many bands are out there, how many listeners there are, etc.
Marcel Hubregtse - 28.10.2013 at 22:57
Written by Mattybu on 28.10.2013 at 22:51

then what is it based on? Because quality wise your staement is also false.

No matter what way I look at it, metal is healthier than its ever been in the 34 years I have been following it.
Mattybu - 29.10.2013 at 00:19
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.10.2013 at 22:57

Written by Mattybu on 28.10.2013 at 22:51

then what is it based on? Because quality wise your staement is also false.

Well, you can't really say quality wise that the statement is false because that's a matter of opinion. let's say there's a guy that says once _ _ _ _ year happened, everything after that sucked balls, his opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. I could go on about this but I will get to my point.

What my stance is based on is the trends that are happening in metal, and there is a definitely a personal inflection there - obviously there are plenty of people like you who don't see metal as dying. Maybe dying isn't the right word even, it's almost more like a shift in identity. metal is becoming very pretentious, 2nd only to probably indie rock lol. and not like that stupid yet somewhat lovable pretentiousness metal has had for a long time. But not all metal that's why I said it's not totally dead like rap is (aside from Ceddybu da Rap Sumo keeping it fuckin reallllll). It's a little hard to explain and I probably did a terrible job explaining it, but yeah.
Lord_Regnier - 29.10.2013 at 00:23
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.10.2013 at 15:05

Written by Mattybu on 28.10.2013 at 14:16

..., and metal is only dying, not quite there yet.

dying? it's never been healthier than in this current day and age.

How can you say that?

Music stores are almost entirely dead and the few who survive are doing it by selling other products because they don't make any money by selling music anymore.

It gets harder and harder each day to find CD's, even new albums, even on the internet.

The only way for a band to make money is by playing live and even then lots of them don't make any profit.

What kind of news do we read? Musicians dying, bands calling a quit, shows cancelled, festivals cancelled, labels in difficulty, etc...

Sorry, but as much as I find it sad to say, Metal is dying a bit more each day. Well, I would say music in general is dying more and more as time goes by.
Marcel Hubregtse - 29.10.2013 at 00:33
Stores in the Streets are dying but there are way more on-line stores who sell stuff chaper than ever before.
There are loads more bands and loas more gigs ever before. It's easier than ever before to get hold of albusm (either directly from the band or the label. IN the Eighties only a couple of bands could make a living out of their musc, just like today. Musicians die of course because they get old but more musicians start bands every single day. Nowdays less shows get cancelled than in the 80s and 90s backj then Motley Crue and such shite would be cancelled every single day on Mainland Europe whereas nowadays they have enough people showing up. Festivals get cancelled because there are way too many festivals whereas back in the day every country had one single festival at most whereas now most want multiple festivals even the small countries.
Labels are indifficulty because of downloading fichwist who never buy a single album and also because they don't go with the times. But it's majore labels folding not the small independent ones, the are more independent lables now than ever before and they are thriving.

It is clear that people who say that metal is dying haven't got a clue at all as to how metal is thriving nowadays. Well, that's your loss.
Marcel Hubregtse - 29.10.2013 at 00:41
Getting back to sales. Sales across the board are as high and sometimes evnr higher than in the 80s and 90s. Not for individual artists but for everyone accumulated. Big band selling less is not surprising since people spend their money across the boards so tend to spend it less on the big band but spend it more on smaller ones.
Lord_Regnier - 29.10.2013 at 01:34
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2013 at 00:33

I agree that there are lots of online stores but it seems to me that their inventories got smaller and smaller recently. I found it harder to find the stuff I wanted to buy since a while. Perhaps it is only an impression.

It's true that there are lots of bands, when you think about it. As for more gigs, I'm living in a small remote area and we never really had gigs anyway.

Now that I think about it, it was really not easy to buy albums here in the 80s. And it was expensive.
And I remember that only a few bands really made money.

As for festivals, it seems to me that there are many of them nowadays. Probably too many.

The downloading is a real issue for sure. It is sad to see that so many people don't care enough for music to buy the real CD.
But I also remember how so many people copied tapes years ago.

I don't know. Perhaps I'm wrong to think that Metal is slowly dying. I can be very negative at times. I sincerely hope that you're right and I'm wrong on the matter, Marcel. Metal dying is one of the last things I want to see.

By the way, is there a list of online stores, where I could by CD's, somewhere on this website?
I usually by my stuff on Amazon, eBay or Napalm Records but are there other good places?
Lord_Regnier - 29.10.2013 at 01:41
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2013 at 00:41

I think there can be another explanation for big bands selling less. Back in the 80s, the choice for Metal albums was much more limited, so we bought what was available at the time and where we lived. Now, if we take into account everything bands have been releasing since the 80s, the choice is immense compared to what it was in the 80s.
Marcel Hubregtse - 29.10.2013 at 02:06
Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.10.2013 at 01:34

Actually I don't know if there is such a list here.

I usuually buy from Century Media, Nuclear Blast (the big names) and NUclear War Now, Nuclear Winter, Iron Bonehead, Psychedoomelic (unfortunatelt shit shop due to being too busy with real life wirk) and sometimes Van as well. Of course you have to look at what each distro has on offer for you the buyer. Is it death? Go to x... Is it black go to y... is it doom go to z...

But when you go on the net and on more forums than just MS you'll see that metal is pretty much alive and kicking ;-)
Marcel Hubregtse - 29.10.2013 at 02:09
Oops, way too much off topicness here. Maybe we should open a thread on this topic.
Lord_Regnier - 29.10.2013 at 03:16
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2013 at 02:06

Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.10.2013 at 01:34

Actually I don't know if there is such a list here.

Century Media, I already know.
I usually avoid buying on Nuclear Blast because of their ridiculous shipping rates.
The others I don't really know.
Dylan - 02.11.2013 at 04:05
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.10.2013 at 14:57

This is one of the biggest pitfalls of requiring glasses. Do I take them off and avoid them being damaged or do i keep them on and actually see the show? sigh.

Pages: 1 [2]

News Broken Hope - Buried The Hatchet With Deicide 7.5 02.11.2013 by Syk
News Broken Hope - Kicked Off Deicide Tour, Update On Fan Stabbing 7.5 24.10.2013 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Broken Hope - Fan Stabbed Recovering Well 7.5 08.11.2013 by Vombatus
News Broken Hope - Reuniting For Obituary's North American Tour Dates 6 14.07.2012 by BoxCar Willy
General metal forum The Strangest Thing That Has Happened To You At A Show 4.5 14.12.2009 by