After this week's changes, Arch Enemy fans must be really curious about the band's new material and also the new vocalist Alissa White-Gluz (ex-The Agonist). If you want to hear how she fits in with the band, check out their new song "War Eternal" and the video to go with it right now. What do you think about this first song?

This track is just a taste of what's to come on War Eternal, due on June 9th in Europe, June 10th in North America and June 4th in Japan. The War Eternal digital single cover was created by Gustavo Sazes, while Costin Chioreanu (twilight13media.com) is working on the album cover that will be presented soon.

The video is directed by Patric Ullaeus. German fans can watch it here.

Guitarist and band leader Michael Amott comments: "This is a day to remember. It is such a great feeling to come back with new music and to unleash the first single and video off War Eternal. Behold the first chapter of the new Arch Enemy saga... This is f**king war!"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Arch Enemy

Posted: 20.03.2014 by BloodJuNkie

Comments

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: [1] 2

!J.O.O.E.! - 20.03.2014 at 19:14
Angela's looking hot these days.
R Lewis - 20.03.2014 at 19:15
Alissa, with Elize Ryd, is one of the hottest chicks in metal

Oh, the track's not bad too.
BloodTears - 20.03.2014 at 19:16
Not as bad as I expected. It gets better when the chorus kicks in. I need more listens but I'm not totally put off by that.
Angelic Storm - 20.03.2014 at 19:23
Woah, to say this song is treading water would be an understatement. This is nowhere near the quality of the best Arch Enemy material, either with Johan or Angela fronting the band. Angela at her best, had real rage in her voice, and Alissa's growl is just hollow in comparison, and she also lacks the presence of her predecessor.

I had a hard time believing the band could do worse than "Khaos Legions", but if the rest of the new album is similar to what's on offer here, then I was presumptious to think that. lol Nice solos from Mike and Nick Cordie, shame that the song they're attatched to is so bland, and unmemorable...
Unhealer - 20.03.2014 at 19:25
I thought Cosmic Retribution was being played at first The chorus ruins it, but the rest of the song is not bad. She sounds just like Angela, I'm even doubting if she actually recorded the vocals since the announcement was so recent...
It would be really funny if people complain about her vocals not being as good as Angela's and then it turns out it's Angela singing on this track
Hex_Omega - 20.03.2014 at 19:26
Boring... both song and video.
Angelic Storm - 20.03.2014 at 19:29
Written by Unhealer on 20.03.2014 at 19:25

When I said her vocals weren't as good as Angela's, I was talking about Angela at her best, not her vocals on their more recent output. lol

But even the vocals on "Khaos Legions" were superior to the vocals here, so if it is Angela, she's only deteriorated even more. I think it is Alissa though, not Angela. The vocal performance on "Wages Of Sin" is far superior to the vocals on this song, regardless of whether they're by Angela, or Alissa.
ANGEL REAPER - 20.03.2014 at 19:34
I just hope that vocal tracks would be mixed a bit lover ,otherwise i have no objections ....
kains - 20.03.2014 at 19:48
Sounds pretty damn sharp, even to a person who stopped listening to death metal a few years ago like myself.
I wonder whether she will have a clean vocal part in the album as well? she did well in the clean vocals department with Kamelot.
Unhealer - 20.03.2014 at 19:56
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.03.2014 at 19:29

Don't worry, that wasn't aimed at you. However, now I see people coming up with an argument similar to yours in case they see themselves in the situation I mentioned
theFIST - 20.03.2014 at 19:57
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.03.2014 at 19:34

they have been too high ever since the band started changing to fit Gossow on Anthems of Rebellion
Angelic Storm - 20.03.2014 at 20:00
Written by Unhealer on 20.03.2014 at 19:56

Where are people coming up with that? Nobody else here has said anything like that.
Unhealer - 20.03.2014 at 20:08
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.03.2014 at 20:00

Not sure if I expressed myself correctly, I meant people could come up with a similar argument in case it happens to somebody and they don't want to admit they were wrong
Angelic Storm - 20.03.2014 at 20:14
Written by Unhealer on 20.03.2014 at 20:08

Oh I see! xD

Angela's vocals were great on the first couple of albums she did with AE, though from "Doomsday Machine" onwards, they started becoming more processed, and lost a bit of their power as a result. But even on the later albums, where her vocals weren't as good, she could still inject real rage into her vocals, and that's what appears to be lacking in the vocals to this song. If it is Angela, then it's the right thing that she left the band. If it's Alissa as I believe it most probably is, then what I said in my original post still stands.
crucifiedjesus - 20.03.2014 at 20:14
Uninspired stuff. i havent enjoyed anything from arch enemy since anthems and looks like this will be another turd in the metal punchbowl.
HardlyNight666 - 20.03.2014 at 20:29
I can only hope that with the addition of Alissa and Nick that the new album isn't so stale and boring. Khaos was such a huge disappointment. This song at least featured a more complicated solo thanks to Nick but was still very structured which is very unlike songs from The Agonist and Arsis. Alissa only screaming is a bit strange, but I'm hopeful for the rest of the album.
Alondate - 20.03.2014 at 20:30
Can i comment about anything else besides Alissa? If yes then i want to say that Nick Cordle is a great guitarist. I wonder why he departed from Arsis.

About song; same shit. Even vocals sounds like Angela's. So there is no problem with vocals or anything else. Just this time there is another chick.
ANGEL REAPER - 20.03.2014 at 20:53
Written by theFIST on 20.03.2014 at 19:57

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.03.2014 at 19:34

yes but in this case they could be somewhat lower ...
theFIST - 20.03.2014 at 20:56
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.03.2014 at 20:53

Written by theFIST on 20.03.2014 at 19:57

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.03.2014 at 19:34

yes but in this case they could be somewhat lower ...

they could have been ever since
Carl Berg - 20.03.2014 at 22:00
Great riff
FB_10 - 20.03.2014 at 22:28
Vocalist is cool, track is Booooring:/
Tristus Scriptor - 20.03.2014 at 22:35
To even imply that Alissa would be making her vocal debut with a band like Arch Enemy by *lip syncing* to the former vocalist is preposterous, since she does "harsh vocals" most of the time anyway. I believe I know the sound of her voice enough because she's an awesome enough figure in music that I've tried to get into the Agonist, but the whole metalcore thing just didn't do it for me. Having said that, I have been pleased that she has contributed to great stuff like Kamelot, even as an unofficial member. So her joining a band that isn't so "hip" as her former focus and much more classic metal derivative does please me. I'm still weighing my opinion on the new song, though. I have a feeling I'll be into this era. \m/
Methuselah - 20.03.2014 at 22:36
I like the song. Arch Enemy seems to have not changed very much, I think they've found that formula they're sticking with, overall vocals it isn't bad, but it isn't Angela. I guess it's time to embrace the new days.
psykometal - 20.03.2014 at 22:47
That is most certainly Alissa doing vocals. Her higher pitched scream right before the solo section was bitchin', she should do that more. I actually liked what I heard hear for the most part. It was a bit generic, but the lead melodies were nice, I enjoyed Alissa's voice (she growls a little deeper here than typical in The Agonist), and the solo section was very welcome, as well as the melodies after the solo section.

It's not likely to top Angela's first 3 Arch Enemy albums for me, but I have a feeling it will be better than Tyrant and Legions.
Mr. Doctor - 20.03.2014 at 22:51
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.03.2014 at 19:14
Angela's looking hot these days.

Yeah, after the sex change operation she looks gorgeous!
!J.O.O.E.! - 20.03.2014 at 22:52
Written by Mr. Doctor on 20.03.2014 at 22:51

Yeah, after the sex change operation she looks gorgeous!

Oh, buurrrn.
The Shape 1973 - 20.03.2014 at 22:52
I actually liked it. It has more of a power metal vibe to it. Similar to their material that I liked (Anthems Of Rebellion). I could see myself listening to that rather than the crap they have done recently.

Vocals are no different to Angela's, other than a bit lighter in the chorus. Will there be any clean singing in the album I wonder.
Mr. Doctor - 20.03.2014 at 22:56
I'd love to hear clean singing... Just to watch the the fans' world BURN.
Also... The song was ok and the vocals are as I expected them to be (then again, I already like The Agonist, so).

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.03.2014 at 22:52

Written by Mr. Doctor on 20.03.2014 at 22:51

Yeah, after the sex change operation she looks gorgeous!

Oh, buurrrn.

Thank you. I have my moments.
euronymous - 20.03.2014 at 23:02
Boring, too boring
Coolingsrock - 20.03.2014 at 23:03
I still can't believe she is in Arch Enemy. I wonder if she's still going to do stuff like A Cappella
BloodJuNkie - 21.03.2014 at 00:00
Not bad, the solo is cool. But i need more stuff so i can judge on Alissa with Arch Enemy!
AngelofDeth - 21.03.2014 at 00:00
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.03.2014 at 19:23

A little harsh imo but I agree with most what you've said.

While she isn't terrible, there's just something off about Alissa's screams... I think it's that they sound very forced, almost sounding like off the roof of her mouth and with a hint of that "core" style which I absolutely loathe. (but in all honesty Angela wasn't a perfect screamer either and often had distortion/FX on her vox).

Your right about the song treading water, it feels recycled, formulaic and uninspired. But that to me is exactly how Khaos sounds, so I'd say it's no worse, just equally a pile of garbage!
I_Die_Often - 21.03.2014 at 00:03
All I can say from this one song is that it sounds a little better than their last album.
Angelic Storm - 21.03.2014 at 00:32
Written by AngelofDeth on 21.03.2014 at 00:00
A little harsh imo but I agree with most what you've said.

The issue I have with the vocals, is there's no fire, passion, or rage in them. It's death metal vocals at their most lifeless and generic. I don't think Angela's vocals had any distortion/effects on them until the "Doomsday Machine" album. And whilst I like quite a lot of that album, the fact that her vocals sound so processed on much of it, is it's major downside. I really liked her vocals on the first two albums though, particularly on "Wages Of Sin" which are definitely a league above the vocals on offer with this new song.

As for Khaos, overall, it is bland, and a generic album. There are a couple of songs on it which I really like though, and are far better than this new song.
deadone - 21.03.2014 at 00:56
Bog standard Arch Enemy and not too different from Khaos Legions.

The thing I don't like about it was the leady guitar bit in the chorus. Amott loves these but I think they ruin the flow of the song. And they sound so lame.

If the production was rawer and they removed that chorus, the song would be far better.
ObiBobKenobi - 21.03.2014 at 01:10
I enjoyed Angela's run in Arch Enemy, but I really like this song and Alissa's contribution to the band.
Rulatore - 21.03.2014 at 01:27
Written by deadone on 21.03.2014 at 00:56

This, 1000000000 times this.
SSM - 21.03.2014 at 01:45
There's nothing particularly wrong with the vocals, the song theme and the mix is ultra boring and predictable (maybe just for me).
Sounds very much alike Khaos Legions, the music is over processed and sounds clean and smooth (=boring for this style).
Formulated, generic and the lyrics just make it worse.

(Remember "Black Earth"? or "Let The Killing Begin"?)
Doc Godin - 21.03.2014 at 02:15
I like it. Nothing fantastic, but a big step up from khaos legions.
ArcesseEum - 21.03.2014 at 04:06
Zzzz... bring back Johan
BlueMobius - 21.03.2014 at 05:46
Not bad. I would love to hear something a little grittier from this band though.
sbuswell - 21.03.2014 at 05:52
Vocals are weak, but Michael Amott's guitar works reigns supreme. I listen to AE because of him that's it.
Protostar - 21.03.2014 at 06:08
I'm extremely satisfied with the results of this change up. I was expecting something more pop-metal sounding. Very pleased to hear that she even sounds somewhat similar to Angela. I look forward to the next release!
deadone - 21.03.2014 at 06:30
Written by BlueMobius on 21.03.2014 at 05:46

I actually think most mainstream bands these days need to get grittier.

Fuck this modern business of overpolished turds. It's Heavy Fuckin' Metal for christ's sake!
M C Vice - 21.03.2014 at 09:04
Better than the 1st half of Khaos Legions. Would I be the only one hoping for another Rise Of The Tyrant?
Angelic Storm - 21.03.2014 at 09:38
Written by M C Vice on 21.03.2014 at 09:04

I can't remember the first half of "Khaos Legions", but that fact probably says a lot about what I think of it. The small amount of songs on that album which I do love, are on the second half of it, and those songs are much better than this new song.

Whilst I feel that "Rise Of The Tyrant" is weaker than the 3 Angela-fronted albums which preceded it, it's clearly superior to "Khaos Legions" overall, and the vast majority of it is also superior to this new song. So at this point, I'd definitely take another "Rise Of The Tyrant".
M C Vice - 21.03.2014 at 09:47
Written by Angelic Storm on 21.03.2014 at 09:38

Written by M C Vice on 21.03.2014 at 09:04

I can't remember the first half of "Khaos Legions", but that fact probably says a lot about what I think of it. The small amount of songs on that album which I do love, are on the second half of the album, and those songs are much better than this new song.

Whilst I feel that album is weaker than the 3 Angela-fronted albums which preceded it, it's clearly superior to "Khaos Legions", and the vast majority of it is definitely superior than this new song. So at this point, I'd definitely take another "Rise Of The Tyrant".

Tyrant is my favourite of the Arch Enemy albums, especially vocally (Anthems is probably better lead guitar-wise). This song sounds like business as usual for the band, probably wouldn't have noticed the change in vocalist if not told. Maybe that's how she got the job - they just got a bunch of audition tapes and picked the one that sounded the most like Gossow.
Angelic Storm - 21.03.2014 at 10:04
Written by M C Vice on 21.03.2014 at 09:47

Although the overall quality of Angela's vocals had started to deteriorate by this point, I do think "Rise Of The Tyrant" is her angriest and most emotional vocal performance, and that fact compensates for it's drop in overall quality. There's a genuine rage in her voice during the majority of that album, which I find very engaging, and also relateable (It's also the first AE album I think where at points, it's obvious that it's a female on vocals rather than a male). And I think that's ultimately what's lacking in the vocals in this new song. There's no emotion or anger there whatsoever, it's a by the numbers performance, which sounds robotic and lifeless. I'm listening to ....Tyrant right now, and it is absolutely true. The vocals on "War Eternal" (the song at least) is like Angela singing but with the emotion and anger removed.
neonxaos - 21.03.2014 at 10:42
I don't care what any of you say, this is my sexy satanic summer singalong shanty of 2014.
Silent Jay - 21.03.2014 at 11:46
I'm ok with this. Excited even. I've found it hard to look forward to a new Arch Enemy album for quite some time now but this time I'm genuinely excited to see where this new line-up goes. I like Alissa's voice and think it is a great move to get her on board as I've become somewhat bored of Angela Gossow despite how good she was. 'War Eternal' may not be that great of a song but considering the past few albums haven't been all too impressive anyway it was kind of expected. The song is sufficient enough though but I certainly hope the rest of the album contains better quality.
I'm not sure how much input Alissa has had on this track or other new material so I'm going to keep an open-mind about her performance this go around. For me the following album is going to be the real make or break effort.
Interesting to note as well that Angela isn't totally out of the picture. Given her behind the scenes role, relationship with Michael Amott and the apparent friendship she has with Alissa I wouldn't be too surprised that we'll get a duet of sorts somewhere down the line.

Oh and Alissa is fucking gorgeous btw. Ya'know, just incase anybody hasn't noticed or anything.

Pages: [1] 2

News Arch Enemy - New Song And Lyric Video Released 10.5 28.04.2014 by ANGEL REAPER
News Arch Enemy - New Video Online 9 19.09.2012 by X5452