Mastodon's guitarist and vocalist Bill Kelliher recently sat down for a video interview with Rocksverige.se and talked about his hopeful project with Opeth guitarist and vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt and In Flames guitarist Björn Gelotte.

Kelliher said the following: "We haven't really gotten that far yet. It's harder than I thought it would be... It is definitely a plan. We were on tour together, you know, and I was writing stuff and I was like 'hey how about I send you a riff' and [I told Björn] 'you could play anything you want' and he's like 'well if you send it to me it's going to be metal."

While things are moving slow, Bill Kelliher said he does want to try to make it work.

"I could never get my riff to sound perfect, or as close to perfect as I wanted it to, to send it to him so. I stalled out on that. I've got to re-do it and try it again."

What do you think about this possible collaboration? Maybe we will see another supergroup in the future.

Source: metalinjection.net
Band profile: Mastodon

Posted: 06.07.2014 by Fallen Ghost

Comments

NocturnalStalker - 06.07.2014 at 14:07
It definitely seems tasty because those are three musicians with very different song-writing styles and sources of inspiration. If they manage to find a good balance, it could result in something mind-blowing.
LeKiwi - 06.07.2014 at 14:27
Written by NocturnalStalker on 06.07.2014 at 14:07

You speak true, although I tend to lower my expectations for super-groups (or collabs)...
Apothecary - 06.07.2014 at 16:49
Yaaaaaawn.... somebody shoot me a PM whenever Mories and Vindsval decide to collaborate.
Troy Killjoy - 06.07.2014 at 18:55
This is either going to be amazing or disastrous.
Vombatus - 06.07.2014 at 19:46
I predict something extremely boring. The three bands are dull, and these collaborations usually come up with something even more dull.

Yawnfest assured.
LeKiwi - 06.07.2014 at 20:07
Written by Apothecary on 06.07.2014 at 16:49

Not everyone's into that
Apothecary - 06.07.2014 at 22:59
Written by LeKiwi on 06.07.2014 at 20:07

Written by Apothecary on 06.07.2014 at 16:49

Not everyone's into that

Only the trve hipsters
Necrodamus - 07.07.2014 at 01:32
Hoping what they produce will sound more akin to new Mastodon, and not new Opeth or In Flames...
JayMo4 - 07.07.2014 at 02:14
Written by Necrodamus on 07.07.2014 at 01:32

I'm hoping it's something entirely different from all three. Why work on a side project just to sound like the band you're already in?

But what do I know, I think Storm Corrosion was brilliant.
Opethian - 07.07.2014 at 03:34
A side project that wont get anywhere. It will be released and within a week it will die out. This sounds boring
Misfit74 - 07.07.2014 at 05:27
This depends almost entirely on which genre or genre blend(s) they go with. How will the vocals be? Those criteria are among the most critical to this being good or not.
Fallen Ghost - 07.07.2014 at 12:07
It can be interesting, but I don't think it will sound like some of the bands mentioned. Though, they are what they are, and have many different influences, so if they're doing things the right way, it could be really interesting, that's for sure!
Necrodamus - 07.07.2014 at 20:55
Written by JayMo4 on 07.07.2014 at 02:14

Written by Necrodamus on 07.07.2014 at 01:32

But what do I know, I think Storm Corrosion was brilliant.

Yeah agreed. I just say this cause I'm not a fan of the direction Opeth and In Flames are going in, but love the new Mastodon.
JayMo4 - 08.07.2014 at 01:56
Written by Necrodamus on 07.07.2014 at 20:55

Yeah, new In Flames makes me sad. I like the new Opeth alright, but not as much as the old stuff. I'm with you on Mastodon, though I've liked everything they've done.
Panterica - 19.07.2014 at 14:57
In any case, all three are incredibly busy and I think it's unlikely that will see anything from this collaboration anytime soon.

News Mastodon - US Tour With Gojira And Kvelertak 7.5 04.02.2014 by Troy Killjoy
News Opeth - Announce Tour With In Flames And Red Fang 7 14.08.2014 by Jiri
News In Flames - N. American Tour With Lacuna Coil And Soil 5.5 05.10.2006 by
News Opeth - Announce Heritage Hunter Tour With Mastodon 5.5 31.01.2012 by Unhealer
News Mikael Akerfeldt - Begins To Work On New Opeth Album And Side-Project 5.5 04.01.2007 by Syk