Metal Storm logo
New Nightwish vs Old Nightwish

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 21.02.2008 - 04:18
I've searched and searched and Im surprised this hasn't been created.

Im curious.

For me, I choose the old nightwish. Tarja perfected nightwish. Well Anette is "good" but not perfect.

Well there has been a turning direction towards the sound. But the new album sounds abit like the old songs... Not the singing. But some parts of the songs. Somehow I dont think Nightwish is "original" anymore.
They were once, when I discovered them, I madly fell in love and hoped for them to go on forever. Too bad my hoping was bad.

Mainly I fell in love with the deep emotion Tarja put into those ballads. In a way you feel emotion. Either positive or negative. It was always fun for me to realize how I react towards the songs.

Poll

Which do you think is better

Old Nightwish
New Nightwish

Total votes: 67
05.10.2008 - 00:18
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i'm actually not anymore into nightwish but i've heard the "new nightwish"...imo their last albums before tarja left weren't as good as the first ones so i didn't expect great things from them...i prefer old nightwish, but the very old nightwish...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
08.10.2008 - 02:08
Frija
Very judgmental, guys. I like the old Nightwish sound better because Tarja had such a unique, crisp voice, but I like Anette as well. I actually enjoyed Dark Passion Play very much, but Wishmaster and Once are my favorite albums of the band.
08.10.2008 - 04:04
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Old nightwish F'sho. Their older albums are much better over all imo. Not much more of a reason than that from me, other than the fact that it's my own opinion.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
08.10.2008 - 10:06
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
In my opinion , nightwish started to fall since Marco Hietala joined the band i like him but i don't think he fits in nightwish
----
Stay Metal !!!
08.10.2008 - 10:22
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 08.10.2008 at 10:06

In my opinion , nightwish started to fall since Marco Hietala joined the band i like him but i don't think he fits in nightwish

That's about it. I turned away from Nightwish when Century Child was released. Things got way too clean and overdone with that. Everything after that was just a straigt line further down to me.
----
08.10.2008 - 18:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

weirdest opinium in site, IMO he sint main person there only vocalist are others sisnt, if Tarja tak copple of guys and in her solo carear play just like old Nightwish thay kick real Nightwish so hard that thay maybe sold out 500 tickets in small venue
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.10.2008 - 19:04
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Bad English on 08.10.2008 at 18:43

weirdest opinium in site, IMO he sint main person there only vocalist are others sisnt, if Tarja tak copple of guys and in her solo carear play just like old Nightwish thay kick real Nightwish so hard that thay maybe sold out 500 tickets in small venue

wooowh, I need some serious 'Bad English <=> English' dictionary to comprehend that. Had to read that twice to see that it's not actually opium you're talking about

So you're saying that Nightwish stands and falls with Tarja? I accept that bet. Nightwish's problem atm is Anette's lack of English skills and her childish attitude which they overly try to compensate by ridiculous jokes and far too much talking on Marco's side. Once they overcome that, they'll outperform tarja any day of the week.
Thing with Tarja always was her complete anticharisma. She had no appreciation for her audience and none for the kind of music Nightwish were doing. It's like looking at a singing wax figurine and also a band. That's why all old Nightwish concerts were equally boring. Why should that change now that she's soloing? Especially if you consider how flat "her" music is nowadays
----
08.10.2008 - 20:19
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Corrupt: Just out of curiosity, why is Anette childish? I don't really know anything about her or her behavior, that's why I ask. And what about ridiculous jokes? And having to talk on Marco's side? Your post confuses me.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

08.10.2008 - 20:32
Scottgun
This is really Tarja vs. Anette isn't it? I say Tarja was the better. Having said that however, I am underwhelmed by the few Tarja solo tracks I've heard and some of the Annette-wish songs are pretty good. So I've never felt the need to rip into the new stuff like what you get on the YouTube comments. So for future success I'm betting on Anette for the time being.
----

Whenever a musician is interested in self-expression you know it's gonna suck--Robert Fripp
09.10.2008 - 00:05
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Arian Totalis on 08.10.2008 at 20:19

@Corrupt: Just out of curiosity, why is Anette childish? I don't really know anything about her or her behavior, that's why I ask. And what about ridiculous jokes? And having to talk on Marco's side? Your post confuses me.

Ok, look at this: old Nightwish came up on stage with a pretty serious attitude. Tarja would mostly wear a gown of some sort and the stage performance would in a certain way underline the music and it's meaning.
New Nightwish do the exact opposite. They enter the stage in a very self-celebrating manner. Anette wears funny dresses in the weirdest color combinations and she jumps and runs around the stage like a madwoman. And I said 'childish' because her English is really not very good. I've seen them twice with the new lineup now and it seems there's progression, but she's still far away from articulating one decent sentence without losing it halfway through and closing with something completely different or marco having to help her. That's not her fault of course, but it makes the whole thing much harder to take the least bit serious.
And last time I've seen them (in Wacken actually) Marco smoked on stage and drank from a bottle of Absolut Vodka, celebrating both very things and introducing the Vodka as the 'second Swede on stage' although a great deal of the audience was below 18 years old. Talk about role modeling. You don't see many bands who have to rely on alcohol jokes to get through their show.
That's what I meant.
----
09.10.2008 - 01:08
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
come on guys Oceanborn,Angels fall first and wishmaster is nightwish after that , they are just another symphonic band
----
Stay Metal !!!
09.10.2008 - 03:17
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by corrupt on 09.10.2008 at 00:05

Written by Arian Totalis on 08.10.2008 at 20:19

Ok, look at this: old Nightwish came up on stage with a pretty serious attitude. Tarja would mostly wear a gown of some sort and the stage performance would in a certain way underline the music and it's meaning.
New Nightwish do the exact opposite. They enter the stage in a very self-celebrating manner. Anette wears funny dresses in the weirdest color combinations and she jumps and runs around the stage like a madwoman. And I said 'childish' because her English is really not very good. I've seen them twice with the new lineup now and it seems there's progression, but she's still far away from articulating one decent sentence without losing it halfway through and closing with something completely different or marco having to help her. That's not her fault of course, but it makes the whole thing much harder to take the least bit serious.
And last time I've seen them (in Wacken actually) Marco smoked on stage and drank from a bottle of Absolut Vodka, celebrating both very things and introducing the Vodka as the 'second Swede on stage' although a great deal of the audience was below 18 years old. Talk about role modeling. You don't see many bands who have to rely on alcohol jokes to get through their show.
That's what I meant.

Just to clearify, I do agree that old nightwish is better, that's where my vote went, but I still must say; I've seen them live twice with the new lineup as well. Once in St. Louis, and once in Chicago, and I actually think that Anette's enthusiasm for the crowd and her livelihood with stage performance makes for a much better show than with Tarja. I mean, so what if she's dressed goofy, at least she apreciates the fans and has fun. Tarja just got very egotistical and did this retarded little air guitar move for like, 90% of the show. Keep in mind, I still prefer Tarja with nightwish, but as many people have already pointed out, their quality was already declining when "Century Child" and "Once" hit the scene.
About Anette's english, she doesn't speak it that bad. At least she didn't when I went and saw her both times. She said, when I saw them in the House of Blues, in quite clear english "This building is one of the most beautiful I've seen. It reminds me of an opera house." Given, her accent is quite thick, she still seems to have a good variation of grammer at the very least.
You're ACTUALLY blaming a metal musician for being a bad Rolemodel? Have you ever heard the name Alexi Laiho? He's still drunk as shit at every show, and lots of their fans do tend to be 16 year old fan girls who only know about their two latest albums. What about the famed Metallica, who for quite a time earned the name "Alchaholica"? I mean, I could go on for years, but the bottom line is, don't get mad at metal musicians or just musicians in general for drinking or doing drugs on stage, because frankly, it's not at all uncommon.

But this whole conversation seems irrelevent to the topic. The rest should be discussed through pm. Keep in mind though, we still agree at the heart of the subject
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.01.2009 - 22:44
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I'm not sure wat you mean by old/new nightwish, cause to me old nightwish ends with Over the Hills and Far Away EP. Century Child is their first album including full orchestra background, but it is the most boring of Nightwish albums. Once managed to be better for like 5 tracks, and DPP is total crap, though it could have been good with a suitable vocalist. So of course I vote for old Nightwish, but I consider new Nightwish began with Century Child, not DPP.
But why did Nightwish hire Anette, anyway, I can't understand why... There are millions of girls who sing better and would give their right arm to join that band!
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
13.01.2009 - 14:44
giok99
I vote new Nightwish.

The new singer is maybe not as good as Tarja was, but i find their music darker, smoother. And everything fit very well.

In fact, i find this perfect, Old Nightwish was brillant and New Nightwish is ever better. Sometimes things are very well done.
----
Nothing is real
13.01.2009 - 15:59
Ernis
狼獾
Where is the "Both are good" option?...why must people be forced to pick between the two....well I gave my vote to new Nightwish...the first reason is that the band has become prolific again and their stage presence and atmosphere have improved a lot after the decline after Century Child and Once.....another reason of my vote is that most would probably pick Tarja so I wished to bring some balance into it....

They did wonderful music with Tarja and Tarja indeed is a charismatic vocalist but if the chemistry got bad in the end, then parting ways was the best thing for both her and the band to do....and to be honest, "Dark Passion Play" does have its innovative points....it's important that a band develops....
13.01.2009 - 16:45
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Until wishmaster they were my nightwish then it was an epic fail for me

i dont like the voice of marco in nightwish
----
Stay Metal !!!
15.01.2009 - 15:16
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Ernis on 13.01.2009 at 15:59

Where is the "Both are good" option?...why must people be forced to pick between the two....well I gave my vote to new Nightwish...the first reason is that the band has become prolific again and their stage presence and atmosphere have improved a lot after the decline after Century Child and Once.....another reason of my vote is that most would probably pick Tarja so I wished to bring some balance into it....

They did wonderful music with Tarja and Tarja indeed is a charismatic vocalist but if the chemistry got bad in the end, then parting ways was the best thing for both her and the band to do....and to be honest, "Dark Passion Play" does have its innovative points....it's important that a band develops....

Word of wisdom dude..
If there was a both option I would vote for that. Because I personally can't understand what is the old Nightwish and what is the new one?
If the topic was "Tarja vs Annette" then it was acceptable, but old and new is meaningless to me.
I assume that it's a "Tarja vs Annette" poll. Then I vote for the new Nightwish.. Because I really enjoy Annette vocals. Her voice has a special nicety for me that I can't see it in Tarja's vocals.
15.01.2009 - 15:33
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Hamird on 15.01.2009 at 15:16

Written by Ernis on 13.01.2009 at 15:59

Word of wisdom dude..
If there was a both option I would vote for that. Because I personally can't understand what is the old Nightwish and what is the new one?
If the topic was "Tarja vs Annette" then it was acceptable, but old and new is meaningless to me.
I assume that it's a "Tarja vs Annette" poll. Then I vote for the new Nightwish.. Because I really enjoy Annette vocals. Her voice has a special nicety for me that I can't see it in Tarja's vocals.

Fo shizle.....
and to be more precise...every band has its own evolution....if a band starts repeating itself with no innovation, it becomes dead eventually....there were characteristics in old Nightwish that are not present any more, there are characteristics which are still there and will always be, there are traits which they took and left....Dark Passion Play has several good new things, such as I enjoy the bagpipes, the gospel style of the choir vocals and of course, Anette who does indeed a good job as a vocalist....
Anyone who says that "she's so pop!", should listen for instance "Lagoon" where Tarja sounds a lot more poppy (at least to my ears...)...

Cheers to Tarja for her amazing work as a vocalist, of course nobody will doubt the quality of the band's work with her, but the quality hasn't gone anywhere....there is still the power and bombastic force (ever growing), there is room for calmer and thoughtful moments, there are more variety in vocals....they will surely be making grand music in the future....
21.01.2009 - 21:06
Slayer666
Uh, a difficult question. While I like the music more in the newest album, Anette's singing is.... well, it's good, I like it, but it's just nothing special, nothing original. Unlike Tajra's. So, like I said, music is better on "Dark Passion Play" but vocals and overall originality is better before.
So, I didn't vote for either.
27.01.2009 - 15:50
Yooden
So... I missed the "its the same"-choice in the poll.

I am a huge nightwish fan but tarjas voice is not what makes nightwish great for me but its the excellent songwriting, nor is anettes voice suited for metal. So nightwish hasn´t gotten worse IMO since anettes arrival (though, the new album are not as good as wishmaster and once)
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
01.02.2009 - 15:47
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
I like both "versions" of Nightwish, but Anette brought some freshness with her, and fits very well into the band - they why the vote goes to - "New Nightwish"
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
03.02.2009 - 14:57
Hellbound666
Account deleted
I dont know, but i like some new song's of nightwish where Marco sing's too. Still my heart belong to Tarja's era
03.02.2009 - 23:04
ForeverDarkWoods
I couldn't care less about Nightwish nowadays (to me it's basically pop music with distorted guitars and some wannabe epic folk tendencies). As for the Tarja era, some of it is the worst music ever to disgrace the name of metal with it's presence (I really really really REALLY hate Once and Century Child, as they are some of the most annoying albums I've ever heard in my life, and songs like "I Wish I Had An Angel" are fucking mallgoth pop music). They had something on Angels Fall First and Oceanborn though, and those were really epic, good albums. Wishmaster was pretty much meh though, and after that they totally lost it. Therefore I vote for their old era. It isn't even a contest. It's an outright slaughter.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
05.04.2009 - 20:40
CaLu
Account deleted
I personally like the sound of the old Nightwish better than the new Nightwish with Anette. It isn't that Anette can't sing, but she just can't seem to reach the range that Tarja is capable of. And thus the operatic sound has been lost which in my opinion is a pity. It isn't that the songs on DPP aren't good, but they didn't reach the same level of quality vocally in the first glance. Though in my opinion it is just a matter of getting used to Anette's sound, eventually it will do it's trick.
19.08.2009 - 02:17
Razorback
I am not big fan of nightwish,but definitly old one,with new one i am simply disappointed,
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!