Metal Storm logo
Best movie 2000-present

07.06.2008 - 23:38
Valentin B
Iconoclast
as you can see, it's about the movies released since we entered the new milennium, and i would appreciate it if you only definitively picked one. my others on the list were The Prestige, Star Wars episode 3 and maybe Batman Begins, but...

my pick is LOTR part III(the extended edition), for how it succeeded to bring such a huge universe to life and tie all the loose ends, offering both entertainment on such an epic scale, but still being true to the book, encompassing so many characters and incredible acting, great special effects and one of the best music scores in history, all combined into one of the most epic tale ever put to film, 4 hours of memorable scenes and quotes, epicness, shock, awe and pure awesomeness.
08.06.2008 - 00:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The LOTR movies make me hate midgets, even though I really fucking love midgets.

I dunno though...I'm too hungover...I'll sayyyyy Iron Man tbh.
08.06.2008 - 00:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
@pyro why not give an explanation or something... jeez. 'iron man tbh'? how cheap of you
09.06.2008 - 20:07
PrinceofSylvania
Account deleted
Best movie ever, was Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I love that movie so much. Greatest battle scenes in any movie. That was just an all around amazing movie.
09.06.2008 - 21:36
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Well.. imo was either Matrix II & III or Cinderella Man.. But I know in general is LOTR
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
10.06.2008 - 21:20
Hamird
Lieutenant
Kingdom of Heaven was the best for me,
other works like Black Book, Lives of Others and Ken Park are other movies which could be the best if i hadn't see Kingdom of Heaven
10.06.2008 - 22:16
Fhuesc
Hard choice, but i'd say Hero is the best movie since 2000. The reasons: has a great plot, awesome and beautiful fights, visually it's amazing.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
27.08.2008 - 15:13
Nyarlatothep
Simple, 2 movies stands out since 2000. 1 Is Grizzly man from Werner Herzog and the Other Is Hidden (chache) from Mikael Haneke.

Both movies have a strong story and fantastic scenography. the Acting is Superb in Hidden. And timothy in Grizzly man, is just,,, well:-D

Grizzly man is worth seeing just becouse of the landscape portraits.
----
"To defend one's life and the safety of one's fatherland is the prize and excellence of this discipline"
28.08.2008 - 10:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 28.08.2008 at 10:51

Written by Hamird on 10.06.2008 at 21:20

Kingdom of Heaven was the best for me,
other works like Black Book, Lives of Others and Ken Park are other movies which could be the best if i hadn't see Kingdom of Heaven

You've seen the director's cut, right? (Kingdom Of Heaven) That version is fucking amazing.

Anyways, I'm on the Return of The King boat. Never have I walked out of a movie so sure it was the best thing I'd ever seen. Just to make sure, I went and saw it 4 more times.

well right now i'm somewhere between Return of the King and The Dark Knight, probably still the LOTR movie is better but i'm not sure right now, what do you think?
28.08.2008 - 11:53
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
well nice topic, but im still not sure which is my fav movie in this 8 years, surly ain't LOTR so ill edit my post soon
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
29.08.2008 - 13:30
I, braineater
Last year's There Will be Blood is definitely a contender for me. An epic masterpiece! Dead Man's Shoes, Sideways or maybe David Fincher's Zodiac?

It's a tough choice, the 00's have produced some great moofies and new directing talents. LOTR is spectacular and an amazing achievement, but it wouldn't be a fav for me.

Of course there is a TON of shit to go alongside. Like who really watches shit like Epic Movie?? :
----
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"
29.08.2008 - 16:29
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
It is really hard, if not impossible to pick a "best" film. There are so many grand achievements out there that they are hard to compare. Some movies, such as "The Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars" that had amazing production, but mediocre directing and acting. Other films like "Capote" had unbelievable acting, but the film itself was rather dull.

We have also seen the rise of some amazing new directors over the past few years such as Alfonso Cuarón, Danny Boyle, Darren Aronofsky, Guillermo del Toro, Joss Whedon and Christopher Nolan. Even their films are hard to compare. Danny Boyle has created some of the most thrilling and frightening films I have seen in years ("28 Days Later" and "Sunshine") where as Darren Aronofsky created probably the most emotionally stimulating films in years ("Requiem For A Dream" and "The Fountain"). Still, there is someone like Guillermo del Toro, who's visions will go down in history along side Ray Harryhausen and George Lucas, with films like "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Hellboy II". When it comes to character's and witty dialog Joss Whedon seems to be at the top right now.

But as of right now, the one movie I am so jacked up on is "Hellboy II."
----
(space for rent)
01.12.2008 - 23:09
necrovamp
I have to say 'pathfinder' it is a really underated but great film. admittly its bassiclly a 'fight' film but hey the vikings in it are some of the best int he film world, they are so cool. and the natives are brilliant, and it has some memrobale moments like when the women stabds the viking in the balls with a skull teeth upwards. it is also brilliant when set to a soundtrack of metal! if you havent seen it you should at least give it a chance.

one of the most underated films ever.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
03.12.2008 - 12:58
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 29.08.2008 at 16:29

It is really hard, if not impossible to pick a "best" film. There are so many grand achievements out there that they are hard to compare. Some movies, such as "The Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars" that had amazing production, but mediocre directing and acting. Other films like "Capote" had unbelievable acting, but the film itself was rather dull.

We have also seen the rise of some amazing new directors over the past few years such as Alfonso Cuarón, Danny Boyle, Darren Aronofsky, Guillermo del Toro, Joss Whedon and Christopher Nolan. Even their films are hard to compare. Danny Boyle has created some of the most thrilling and frightening films I have seen in years ("28 Days Later" and "Sunshine") where as Darren Aronofsky created probably the most emotionally stimulating films in years ("Requiem For A Dream" and "The Fountain"). Still, there is someone like Guillermo del Toro, who's visions will go down in history along side Ray Harryhausen and George Lucas, with films like "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Hellboy II". When it comes to character's and witty dialog Joss Whedon seems to be at the top right now.

But as of right now, the one movie I am so jacked up on is "Hellboy II."

Great first paragraph, I totally agree. It's too hard to pick the best film, but also impossible to pick the worst film, as IMO there has been way more bad than good. For example the new Star Wars, yeah, they looked great (if you like your films to look like a computer game, which I don't) but most of the acting was crap and the script and plot was rushed, so overall it was very shallow.

I have to say films like Hellboy are just trash though. Which is fine, if all you want is a bit of fun, but certainly not a contender for best film.

Me mind is a bit blank right now but you mentioned 28 Days Later which is an amazing film. People probably won't agree but I prefer a film like that with good acting, good plot, lots of tension and genuine atmosphere to a blockbuster with big names, huge production job, lots of special effect (of the CGI variety) etc. but really very little that actually makes an impact on you. But then I am a miserable git.

3:10 to Yuma just popped into me head, now that was another great film in the last couple of years.
11.05.2009 - 18:19
TheOwl
LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY BY FAR!!!!!!
11.05.2009 - 19:34
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I love: El Orfanato (2007 or 08 i do not remember) and A Beautifil Mind!!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
23.07.2009 - 08:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The top of all gotta be The Dark Knight followed by Watchmen

The Dark Knight with the greatest (and unfortunately one before last) appearance of Heath Ledger was my strongest cinema experience ever...i remember discussions if Heath could just stood up in place as Joker, when we remember Jack Nicholson's...but damn, he beat him in the end in every possible way...it is even said Joker was the one who killed him, because those pills he overdosed with he should have used because depressions caused by this appearance...and besides Joker, almost every character took his place, every piece of story was thrilling experience...simply one of the best films ever

and Watchmen are something similar, although i am not familiar with the message of the movie, but thats may not its mistake, but mine, that i wasnt born to their world...just the first fight scene before credits was awesome and then the opening credits itself, best i have ever seen - the best idea of wonderful "still images" and so lovely and crymaking (in the context) song by Bob Dylan...and the rest of the movie was nearly as good as well...some people saying the film is too long and therefore boring, but according to me, each shot has its sense and each scene was just as long as needed
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.07.2009 - 15:18
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
There are lots of good films so it's hard but it will probably have to be V for Vendetta, it's just amazing and is much like Casablanca and came at a time where freedom of speach was being put into question in the western hemisphere due to the reaction over the drawings of Muhammed in Denmark. Other major films to me are Eternel Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Blood Diamond, Children of Men, Sin City and Planet Terror. There are others but the list could go on for ever.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."