Poll

which is best?

Cliff Burton (Metallica)
Joey De Maio (Manowar)

Total votes: 54
25.09.2008 - 11:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i got the idea after seeing the Cliff vs. Jason thread, and figured they don't really play too similarly so i thought this might be a more balanced poll. both use(or used) their basses as second guitars, with an extremely distorted and punchy sound, and both are one of the most technical bass players in history. Joey has the Flight of the Bumblebee, which like i said in another thread, is INSANE on any instrument but i can't imagine a more difficult instrument to play the piece on than the bass guitar. Cliff has Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) where he plays with a distinct, inimitable style. Joey has Black Arrows, and Cliff has Orion. Joey has that awesome bass riff in Heart of Steel, but Cliff has that awesome intro riff in For Whom the Bell Tolls.

overall it's almost a tie for me personally, they are both 2 of my top 5 bassists but i choose Joey, only because he is more technical than Cliff, even though he sometimes overdoes it.

btw if you ask me Joey gets too much shit from the Manowar hatorz and people appreciate him less for this, even though he is an exceptional bassist.
25.09.2008 - 11:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No doubt Cliff Burton he is better bassist and play better, he is legend, and there no doubt about it ,
For me I even didnt know who's Joey De Maio till saw Manowar, so I think this name is mystery even for manowar fans
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.09.2008 - 15:20
Elio
Red Nightmare
Cliff Burton...I consider Joey a very good bassist too, but IMO Cliff was superior.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
26.09.2008 - 02:12
thesabbathfan
Cliff Burton man, he was just.... godly, unlike Rob Trujillo >.>
----
26.09.2008 - 12:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by thesabbathfan on 26.09.2008 at 02:12

Okay, agreed Cliff was great. But judging from your comment here it seems you never heard Rob Trujillo play... especially in Suicidal Tendencies & Infectious Grooves. Rob is brilliant in his own way on bass totally different style to Cliff. But I guess you are judging him solely on the way he crawls on stage.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.09.2008 - 05:41
thesabbathfan
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.09.2008 at 12:08

Written by thesabbathfan on 26.09.2008 at 02:12

Okay, agreed Cliff was great. But judging from your comment here it seems you never heard Rob Trujillo play... especially in Suicidal Tendencies & Infectious Grooves. Rob is brilliant in his own way on bass totally different style to Cliff. But I guess you are judging him solely on the way he crawls on stage.

i think he has skill, but you just can't fill that void where Cliff used to be...

and that stage crawling too
----
27.09.2008 - 06:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Its impossible for me to vote for this, because I prefer listening to Manowar for basslines, but that is almost 100% because of the way Manowar albums are produced/mixed, they are far more bass heavy than Metallica albums, so it would be hard for me to say either way.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.09.2008 - 09:58
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Bad English on 25.09.2008 at 11:48

No doubt Cliff Burton he is better bassist and play better, he is legend, and there no doubt about it ,
For me I even didnt know who's Joey De Maio till saw Manowar, so I think this name is mystery even for manowar fans

Without doubt, joey de maio is a better bassist than cliff burton without question.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.09.2008 - 08:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by LeChron James on 27.09.2008 at 09:58

Without doubt, joey de maio is a better bassist than cliff burton without question.

yup, if it was only about how technical you are then Joey is one of the best, if not THE best in the world.
28.09.2008 - 11:22
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Valentin B on 28.09.2008 at 08:06

Written by LeChron James on 27.09.2008 at 09:58

yup, if it was only about how technical you are then Joey is one of the best, if not THE best in the world.

hahaha my previous response is hella illiterate sounding. but yeah, Joey DeMaio and Les Claypool are a pair of the most technically gifted bassists to grace this earth.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.09.2008 - 22:26
Gigginova
Account deleted
Joey is the best!

his parts were more dominant and powerful!
05.10.2008 - 02:51
selken
Irreligious
Written by thesabbathfan on 27.09.2008 at 05:41

i think he has skill, but you just can't fill that void where Cliff used to be...

Of course not, nobody can fill at 100% somebody else's spot, but there's always room for new stuff

and voted for Cliff, I hate Manowar xD
----
25.01.2009 - 21:07
elyar
Account deleted
I choose Cliff, cause I cant see Newsted or Steve DiGiorgio

Edit: did I forget to count Steve Harris
31.01.2009 - 09:42
Justice
Cliiff with no doubt
20.02.2009 - 06:19
munson
Joey De Maio is INHUMAN. Cliff might be cool, and skilled, but no one plays on the level that Joey does. Check out his performance of "Flight of the Bumblebee" (they call it "Sting of the Bumblebee") from Kings of Metal
06.08.2010 - 16:11
MetalFist
Account deleted
Cliff is just.. amazing. Amazing skill. Joey is good though.
06.08.2010 - 16:32
vezzy
Stallmanite
DeMaio is overrated, IMO. I'll go with Cliff Burton, DeMaio is decent, but not that special.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
08.08.2010 - 22:05
JD
Account deleted
Of course Cliff Burton R.I.P his the best
08.08.2010 - 23:48
Derwood
I am definitely one of the Manowar haters and it drives me crazy when seriously skilled musicians like DeMaio insist on wasting their talent making god-awful schmaltz when they could be contributing to something worthwhile instead. (I'm looking at you, Joey Jordison)

Skill-wise, I would have to give the edge to DeMaio between the two of them, but my vote goes to Cliff because he made music I enjoy while DeMaio has spent his entire career squandering his not inconsiderable talent making inexcusably bad music. It's not just about being technically skilled - the skill needs to be put to good use.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
16.05.2011 - 22:23
Ghostdancer
Cliff Burton. I just don't care for Manowar's music...I love early Metallica and I love Cliff. He was one of three bass players that influenced my own earlier style (the other two being Geezer Butler and Steve Harris).
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
20.05.2011 - 15:29
Razorback
I voted Cliff Burton,he was great musician and i don't like Manowar,so reason is obvious.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
24.06.2013 - 16:00
YoreLore
People are saying Joey DeMaio is one of the greatest technical bassists around? Someone even saying he could be the most technically gifted bassists. Give me a break. All these guys want a word with you:

Victor Wooten
Brian Bromberg
Bill Dickens
Gary Willis
Stuart Hamm
Billy Sheehan
Markus Setzer
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody