Metal Storm logo
American Progressive Metal or European Progressive Metal?

30.09.2008 - 05:59
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
This is pretty straight forward...which one do you like better? American prog (Cynic, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Kamelot, Queensryche, Shadow Gallery, Symphony X, Watchtower, Zero Hour) verses European prog (Beyond Twilight, Threshold, Adagio, Mekong Delta, Sieges Even, Vanden Plas, Sun Caged, Pagan's Mind, Evergrey, Pain Of Salvation)

I know that there are a lot more but I personally enjoy the European progressive metal scene better...I find that those bands are willing to explore more with their music and simply have a lot more to offer...I find a lot of what the American scene is putting out these days to be pretty boring...

How about you guys?
30.09.2008 - 09:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmm from bands what you listed I love only USA prof metal, Europian somehow sucks like power, from list only band what I like from Europa are old Mekong Delta, and Evegray
USA I like more band smoustly all from list but only old albums and you forgot Psychotic Waltz

I agree USA scene in nowdays are boring for example fates Farning, I like almoust each 80's albums, but dislike nowdays same whit Queensreyche and yes I dont belive in love

About Europian I cant stand even early albums, its to sleepy and to progresive ,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.09.2008 - 16:06
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Bad English: European albums were too what? Too progressive? Bingo! That's what this thread is about! And that's why I like them because they're too progressive...and yeah yeah, let's not forget Psychotic Waltz...a band I don't like too much because I find them kinda boring...and then the successor band Dead Soul Tribe, whose music puts me to sleep...
30.09.2008 - 16:15
Janne
Hugin
Why didn't you start this topic in Metal Arena? It should be put there.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
30.09.2008 - 16:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
As far as my taste goes, I'd say American but it's just a coincidence really.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.09.2008 - 16:35
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I'm more familiar with the American bands so atm I have to say that part of the scene, but the few bands I do know from Europe are at least at par with the Americans, so I might change my mind when I've listened to more bands from this side of the pond
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
30.09.2008 - 18:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Janne on 30.09.2008 at 16:15

a me before 2 years
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2008 - 19:21
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Europe - Opeth, Ayreon, After Forever, Porcupine Tree, Evergrey, Pain Of Salvation, Vintersorg, Green Carnation, Riverside, Adagio, Edenbridge, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Stream Of Passion, Ihsahn, Andromeda, Communic, Vanden Plas, Textures, Disillusion, Threshold, Beyond Twilight, Ark, Royal Hunt, To-Mera, Vanishing Point, Deadsoul Tribe

North America - Dream Theater, Symphony X, Nevermore, Devin Townsend, Into Eternity, Shadow Gallery, Control Denied, Fates Warning

Although Europe may outnumber America with sheer majority of bands in the progressive genre, I still prefer the Western bands. I also like all the "progressive" death metal stylings of those Florida and Canada bands
30.09.2008 - 19:23
marillionfan
Account deleted
I listen and enjoy both American and European Progressive Metal, although i started to dislike prog metal excessively power metal influenced.
30.09.2008 - 20:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Opeth dont counts here, its more death metal how prog metal, If Opeth was prog I would not love that band
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2008 - 20:09
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 30.09.2008 at 20:06

Opeth dont counts here, its more death metal how prog metal, If Opeth was prog I would not love that band

yet, clasifying Opeth as progressive is correct.
30.09.2008 - 20:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 20:09

No Death/prog yes not prog and Opeth music is much different how other bands who's in list
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2008 - 20:18
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 30.09.2008 at 20:11

No Death/prog yes not prog and Opeth music is much different how other bands who's in list

progressive/death metal, it's still progressive
30.09.2008 - 20:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 20:18

Its diferent progresive and progresive/death there much diference like death and death/doom,
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2008 - 20:26
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 30.09.2008 at 20:20

Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 20:18

Its diferent progresive and progresive/death there much diference like death and death/doom,

you're right, I was using the term "progressive" as descrption of the sound; i for one think it's corect to classify opeth as extreme/progressive metal, and i say extreme for the occasional death metal vocals. that's my opinion.
30.09.2008 - 20:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 20:26

you're right, I was using the term "progressive" as descrption of the sound; i for one think it's corect to classify opeth as extreme/progressive metal, and i say extreme for the occasional death metal vocals. that's my opinion.

It sounds much bettter and its true, but still Opeth wont be like those other bands in this tread its total diferent in all ways, lyrucs, album covers, song lenght, song titles, look, singing style and so on ...
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2008 - 20:31
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 30.09.2008 at 20:28

It sounds much bettter and its true, but still Opeth wont be like those other bands in this tread its total diferent in all ways, lyrucs, album covers, song lenght, song titles, look, singing style and so on ...

that's the great thing about opeth, they've got a quite original sound, they experiment once in a while - although i'm not into death metal much, i enjoy listening to Opeth, I can stand the growls, they fit in quite nicely.
30.09.2008 - 20:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 20:31

Written by Bad English on 30.09.2008 at 20:28

that's the great thing about opeth, they've got a quite original sound, they experiment once in a while - although i'm not into death metal much, i enjoy listening to Opeth, I can stand the growls, they fit in quite nicely.

I dont like Opeth grows to , ok I like it but I prefere calm vocal parts better there, but Opeth is/was unique band, thay are personalities and thay had a lot of thinks say , Opeth belongs mor eto doom not musicaly but lyricaly
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2008 - 20:49
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 30.09.2008 at 18:39

a me before 2 years

Threads that compare genres don't usually go in the metal arena forum as far as I always remembered...for example, the American Rock vs. British Rock thread isn't in the metal forum...and after being here for 4 years, I know better now to crowd the metal arena with stuff like this and so does everyone else...
30.09.2008 - 20:51
Hellish Star
This is one of the genres I like both... Normally I'm totally into USA
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
30.09.2008 - 20:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 20:49

Written by Bad English on 30.09.2008 at 18:39

a me before 2 years

Threads that compare genres don't usually go in the metal arena forum as far as I always remembered...for example, the American Rock vs. British Rock thread isn't in the metal forum...and after being here for 4 years, I know better now to crowd the metal arena with stuff like this and so does everyone else...

I use to post like he some years ago, now I dont care about such thinks anymore, I shood not be here but redaing books for bachalour
----

apos;'
[image]
01.10.2008 - 02:22
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Bad English: Oh, that's what that post meant...you do seem to have a lot of posts...maybe you should be reading books instead...
01.10.2008 - 10:07
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Just adding to the discussion about Opeth belonging in this thread: aren't they way more progressive than death these days? Their latest album is IMO.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
01.10.2008 - 13:54
Abattoir
Staff
I would propably, with a little advantage/difference, choose European prog. Also, American is quite good too...
01.10.2008 - 14:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 01.10.2008 at 10:07

Just adding to the discussion about Opeth belonging in this thread: aren't they way more progressive than death these days? Their latest album is IMO.

last 2 are but previusly ... thay isnt so much prog
----

apos;'
[image]
01.10.2008 - 14:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 01.10.2008 at 14:29

last 2 are but previusly ... thay isnt so much prog

All of Opeth's albums have ahad at least 50% progressive in it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.10.2008 - 21:48
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite

I agree with you on this one. These days they are more progressive than death but the last album had a bit of death as well, as we are used too. I hope they will keep incorporating the two though, although I think they could be a wonderful progressive band without the extreme metal elements I think they wouldn't be as revolucionary. But if they still did great music it would always be enjoyable.
----

My Instagram
01.10.2008 - 21:50
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 01.10.2008 at 21:48

I agree with you on this one. These days they are more progressive than death but the last album had a bit of death as well, as we are used too. I hope they will keep incorporating the two though, although I think they could be a wonderful progressive band without the extreme metal elements I think they wouldn't be as revolucionary. But if they still did great music it would always be enjoyable.

i wish they would create another album only with clean vocals, as was Damnation. I love this album; but then again, that's me.
01.10.2008 - 23:10
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@marillionfan: Well, I couldn't agree more with you on that one...Damnation is one of my favorite Opeth albums...did that album do well in sales and with fans? If so, Opeth should think about that and possibly release another album with this kind of material...so, Watershed really is less progressive metal? I have the album but haven't really got to listening to it...there is still a lot of complex twists in turns as far as songwriting from what I remember...
02.10.2008 - 10:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I don't think itis less progressive, on the contrary.
----

My Instagram