Metal Storm logo
Your Metal Budget

Original post

Posted by TheBigRossowski, 19.12.2008 - 13:56
This is a topic I've been thinking about for sometime now. We all know THAT guy who has thousands of CDs, Vinyl's, Cassette tapes, he's been to EVERY concert imaginable, from Manowar to AntaeuS (when they played live)...and yet THAT guy is 17. Sometimes we're all a bit skeptical and thinking exactly 'WTF?!?!'. On the other hand, some people have devoted everything they have to metal.

Lately, I've had to budget what I do because there is too much going on and not enough money for all of these great things. New albums, collecting old classic albums, concerts, etc.

I now have to make plans to see what I can afford to do and what I've got to give up. I'm certain that most people of this forum can relate to this problem. My question is, what do you do to budget? Do you even budget at all, or do you spend ALL your money on CDs? (Thats what I used to do )

-One (MAYBE two) concerts a month
-Maybe one album a month if I'm lucky! The last album I remember buying was Darkthrone's new album in October! Now I see that as a kind of waste of money. There were plenty of BETTER releases.
-Keep in mind, I'm married...budget is extremely tightened.
10.02.2009 - 00:04
Joker
Me, i can buy 5 cds every single day, How:
i live in syria, we copy everything here, mostly cds, we have no (all rights reserved, or unauthorized copying, hiring,...) so the illegal is legal, so we download from the net, or buy cds from lebanon, or somewhere, and that single cd copy of the album, will be copied to hundreds of cds, then you'll have a copied cd with just front and back cover, and guess how much it cost us , 100 in syrian, means 2 single dollars,even the computer programs, dvds, movies, games,etc.. the store where i buy cds from, have every single band on earth, i just dont' know where they come from. so as for listening we listen to everything, and make large collections, but nothing else, (concerts, vinyls, labels,...) u know, middle east.
10.02.2009 - 15:07
Abattoir
Staff
Written by Joker on 10.02.2009 at 00:04

Me, i can buy 5 cds every single day, How:
i live in syria, we copy everything here, mostly cds, we have no (all rights reserved, or unauthorized copying, hiring,...) so the illegal is legal, so we download from the net, or buy cds from lebanon, or somewhere, and that single cd copy of the album, will be copied to hundreds of cds, then you'll have a copied cd with just front and back cover, and guess how much it cost us , 100 in syrian, means 2 single dollars,even the computer programs, dvds, movies, games,etc.. the store where i buy cds from, have every single band on earth, i just dont' know where they come from. so as for listening we listen to everything, and make large collections, but nothing else, (concerts, vinyls, labels,...) u know, middle east.

Hm...I understand that. But I still rather like complete original album CD or DVD, when you know that you bought it for 10-20? (or maybe less if it's cheap). You know, the feeling is better
14.02.2009 - 08:41
Throne Dweller
The feeling is better when they're real, along with a good quality CD, Album art and booklets.

I loathe 2cent copies, they look shit and feel incredibly cheap. If I wanted the music THAT badly, I'd just download it.

Anywho, I'm bordering around 67-72 CDs, Two hoodies, one jumper, five shirts and one gig. Which in total would be about 2590$.

Holy shit that's a lot of money, considering I have no job, and I've done that in three years.
14.02.2009 - 11:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Throne Dweller on 14.02.2009 at 08:41

Anywho, I'm bordering around 67-72 CDs, Two hoodies, one jumper, five shirts and one gig. Which in total would be about 2590$.

Holy shit that's a lot of money, considering I have no job, and I've done that in three years.

Thats it? I'm sitting at 442 CDs, 35 Gigs, 9 Flags, 47 Band T-shirts, 2 Hoodies. Lets add this up shall we?

2 Hoodies: 2 x 45 = $90
47 Band T-Shirts (running at roughly $25 each averaged out): 25 x 47 = $1175
9 Flags ($15/e): 9 x 15 = $135
35 Gigs (tickets running at roughly $35/per show): 35 x 35 = $1225
442 CDs (lets average it out to $15/e at the low end): 442 x 15 = $6630

+6630
$9225

Jesus....close to 10 Grand spent on music shit. Fuuuuuck.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.02.2009 - 17:24
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Uhh.. my monthly budget (= the amount of money I spend, I don't have a set budget, I do it mostly on "feeling") would probably be around 120 euros. Or more. I've discovered I actually buy much more cd's than I thought I did. Two months ago I estimated it on 6 albums per month, but it's more like 10/12 albums a month. Well, that means that I probably spend 140 on cd's, come to think of it...

I don't go to concerts regularly, perhaps 6 or 7 times a year (this estimate may be well off as well, haha). Whenever I have a gig planned, I try to cut down on the cd expanses that month. But then I'm at the gig and there are a couple of small distros there and I always end up buying two or three cd's there as well.

Conclusion: I've discovered I spend much more than I thought, but I still don't really care. I mean, I earn all my money fair and square and I'm still able to go out with friends, buy food whenever I want to and save up (a little) for a car/summer festivals etc.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.02.2009 - 21:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 14.02.2009 at 17:24

But then I'm at the gig and there are a couple of small distros there and I always end up buying two or three cd's there as well.

Theres Distros at concerts there?
----
- George Carlin
14.02.2009 - 22:37
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 14.02.2009 at 21:47

But then I'm at the gig and there are a couple of small distros there and I always end up buying two or three cd's there as well.

well, usually a label/shop with a small selection (100 cds?) in boxes to browse through, yeah.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.02.2009 - 23:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

You should have seen me go totally bonkers at Dutch Doom Days where Millennium Records and Grau Records were present with a huge doom selection from their distro.
I bought around 40-50 cd's those two days (also including direct puchases from the bands playing that weekend)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.02.2009 - 23:52
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.02.2009 at 23:41

I bought around 40-50 cd's those two days (also including direct puchases from the bands playing that weekend)

I wonder how much money did you spend.
15.02.2009 - 03:08
Ikuinen
I use a lot of money on metal..I don't have that many albums..about 240...but I do have quite a few shirts...about 115 official ones..if not more
15.02.2009 - 07:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 14.02.2009 at 22:37

well, usually a label/shop with a small selection (100 cds?) in boxes to browse through, yeah.

Thats really sweet, I wish we had that here. All we get is the performing bands latest albums (sometimes all their albums if we're lucky). It kinda sucks if its one of those shows where your really indifferent toward the band.

I repeat, North America sucks.
----
- George Carlin
15.02.2009 - 07:44
Gigginova
Account deleted
Well, since record stores mostly suck in The Bahamas, I use either Limewire or ATube Catcher for music (which is free), aTube Catcher is incredible!

So not much money is spent.
24.02.2009 - 00:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Well as it seems to be the trend to calculate the money you spent on metal-related items thus far, here goes:
-6 shirts x 40 ron each = 240 ron
-2 shirts x 27 ron each = 52 ron
-2 long sleeves x 45 ron each = 90 ron
-concert tickets: 50 (Blind Guardian) + 75 (Judas Priest) + 10 (some local show more recently) = 135 ron. soon to be added to this the ticket to Bestfest Aftershock(another 150) and possibly Rock City Open Air(270) = 455 ron.
-the only album i own physically, Judas Priest- Painkiller- 28 ron.
-1 poster x 6 ron, 1 poster x 7 ron and 1 poster x 17 ron = 30 ron.
-1 judas priest logo bracer x 14 ron

so that adds up to a grand total of currently 589 ron, soon to become 1009 ron. at a rate of 1 euro = 4.2 ron, that would mean something like 140 euros(current) and 240(near future). yes i am a cheap mofo.
25.02.2009 - 14:47
Ascendant187
Written by Doc G. on 15.02.2009 at 07:26

Written by Lucas on 14.02.2009 at 22:37

Thats really sweet, I wish we had that here. All we get is the performing bands latest albums (sometimes all their albums if we're lucky). It kinda sucks if its one of those shows where your really indifferent toward the band.

I repeat, North America sucks.

Australia isn't much better in that regard. At least in the case of Perth.

My (already mentioned) move happens in the next week or so, which means I'll be on lockdown money wise. So I've spent up fairly big the last week or so - eleven albums bought, more or less, to sate my thirst for a while.
23.06.2009 - 20:21
Costa
Interesting stuff ?

I have something like:
500 CD & DVD (only a few DVDs) more or less 13 ? per unit gives 6500 ?
If you add hi-fi equipment to that? better not or I will be sick for the rest of the week.
1 or 2 Gigs a year. Not much? I know...

Then the good stuff (on average):
In the morning - 45 minutes listening music in the car. (LOUD)
During the day 2 hours listening music with phones
In the after noon - 45 minutes listening music in the car. (LOUD)
At night more 1,5 hours at home
At weekends more 5 hours
It gives a total of 30 hours per week and 1560 hours per year.

At the end I will say: less than 50 cents of a euro per hour of pleasure ? Good or bad!?
23.06.2009 - 21:34
Hellkommando
My budget has been fuck all for several years now due to being at uni and that means being poor, lol.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
24.06.2009 - 13:40
Abattoir
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.02.2009 at 07:44

Well, since record stores mostly suck in The Bahamas, I use either Limewire or ATube Catcher for music (which is free), aTube Catcher is incredible!

So not much money is spent.

Well in our country also. Quite small stocks of Cd's/Dvd's, so I try to get some of them on concerts or festival, but that's not enough. So I was thinking that I would start ordering this staff from the Amazon, which has lots of almost everything you want (well at least comparing to our shops). It's just the shipping a little expensive, otherwise it is worthed I suppose.
24.06.2009 - 13:46
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Well i do not have a budget. i mean i do not "hold" some money per moth to buy cd's, tshirts etc. when i find an album i think it is good on the store i just buy it. about t shirts i have 5-10 and dont want more except some special occasions. also about live's here in greece happen 2-5 good lives per year and i try to go to all of them although i never manage it cause i study in another city from where i normally live!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
24.06.2009 - 14:28
TheBigRossowski

You should have seen me go totally bonkers at Dutch Doom Days where Millennium Records and Grau Records were present with a huge doom seIection from their distro.

Yeah, seriously, holy FUCK! That is a lot of money! I slowly start to think, is it even worth it? What will become of my Vinyl's and CDs in twenty years. Will the condition still be GREAT? I take great care of my CDs. Then you have the dudes who can't afford it, live in some third world country or some shit and have somehow heard everything imaginable from Doro to Peste Noire.

Think about those thousands of dollars or euros... I could be living in my own house and not an apartment above my wifes parents :/ We have everything, but we could have more...

I wasted WAY too much money on band stuff this month.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
03.07.2009 - 20:55
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Written by Doc G. on 14.02.2009 at 11:35

Written by Throne Dweller on 14.02.2009 at 08:41

Thats it? I'm sitting at 442 CDs, 35 Gigs, 9 Flags, 47 Band T-shirts, 2 Hoodies. Lets add this up shall we?

2 Hoodies: 2 x 45 = $90
47 Band T-Shirts (running at roughly $25 each averaged out): 25 x 47 = $1175
9 Flags ($15/e): 9 x 15 = $135
35 Gigs (tickets running at roughly $35/per show): 35 x 35 = $1225
442 CDs (lets average it out to $15/e at the low end): 442 x 15 = $6630

+6630
$9225

Jesus....close to 10 Grand spent on music shit. Fuuuuuck.

hehe good one ;p
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
03.07.2009 - 23:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by TheBigRossowski on 24.06.2009 at 14:28

What will become of my Vinyl's and CDs in twenty years. Will the condition still be GREAT?

If you treat them well their condition will still be great. I know that from expreience.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.07.2009 - 14:06
TheBigRossowski
Written by Norm on 03.07.2009 at 23:11

Written by TheBigRossowski on 24.06.2009 at 14:28

You should have seen me go totally bonkers at Dutch Doom Days where Millennium Records and Grau Records were present with a huge doom seIection from their distro.

Yeah, seriously, holy FUCK! That is a lot of money! I slowly start to think, is it even worth it? What will become of my Vinyl's and CDs in twenty years. Will the condition still be GREAT? I take great care of my CDs. Then you have the dudes who can't afford it, live in some third world country or some shit and have somehow heard everything imaginable from Doro to Peste Noire.

Think about those thousands of dollars or euros... I could be living in my own house and not an apartment above my wifes parents :/ We have everything, but we could have more...

I wasted WAY too much money on band stuff this month.

For some people, Metal is more important. For me, Even if I were to spend all my money on CD's, I
wouldn't think I wasted anything.

Metal is more important than what? At the end of the day, it's still just good music. For these people that metal is more important (assuming you mean more than important things), they haven't reached that age where they have to take care of a family, pay bills, loans from the University and what have you. I think I'm in a good position right now to have both and for that I'm thankful. I mean, taking care of the day-to-day life shit and enjoying my metal and shows.

Metal is important and I'll probably never stop listening to it, but there is also a point when you have to set priorities. Should I go to daughters ballet or see Deathspell Omega live? Deathspell Omega live of course! No, that was a theoretical joke, but just an example.

@Marcel, you have a lot expreience, huh? lol
----
06.07.2009 - 15:23
TheBigRossowski
Written by Norm on 05.07.2009 at 22:27

/ Or take your daughter to Deathspell Omega live with you. You can even hope for some good luck and she'll want to take guitar lessons instead of ballet practice.

lol, that would be a winning situation, yes. On the subject, the metal budget is quite the important topic in our days. I got this package deal from Transcendental Creations with the new Peste Noire CD and a T-Shirt, $28. That wasn't that great of an idea... Ballade is definitely below the standards I had expected.
----
11.08.2009 - 20:22
Razorback
Buying cd's .t-shirts,tickets for concerts every time i have money and opportunity,but i have different problem in my country it's kinda hard to find original album so money it's not my main problem,but i always menage somehow,because i must have my favorite albums original no matter what
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
13.10.2010 - 21:49
flickaa
Wow im broke....i literally need to save up for the next concert
13.10.2010 - 22:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Now my air-soft budget is running metal budget...so many things i need to buy and things i want to buy...and so insufficient funds...help

at least i have fixed the concerts issues, after becoming reporter of one czech webzine and can go for free if accredited - so bigger (and more expensive) gigs are covered
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.10.2010 - 18:35
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I own between 1,200 and 1,300 CDs, about 40 band shirts (maybe more), and tons of shows. I'll get too depressed if I figure out how much I've spent.

And I didn't start buying albums til I was 17 and got my first job because my parents never gave me money and never buy me CDs. ~1,250 albums in that span of time is just nuts.

Even while making only minimum wage and having to pay bills, I would still buy a few albums a month as a high schooler, so when I see people with extremely small collections who just download everything, I find them to be really lame... to an extent, like living in a bad area.

Let's see my bills:

- $230 monthly car payment (which I finally paid off yesterday! woohoo!)
- $270 monthly car insurance
- $460 rent
- a little over $100 for utilities
- somewhere around $100 a month for gas (I'll get too sad if I total it up lol)
- sooooo much for alcohol... maybe $100 every two weeks (another thing I don't want to total up)

So, I buy when I can. I don't pay for college anymore, so that helps.
03.07.2012 - 20:14
Mad Arab666
£50 a month but that's also my money for going out, videos games (luckily I rarely get them), games workshop and fast food.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
05.07.2012 - 10:28
emperorgonzo
Account deleted
I have spent sooo much fucking money this year on albums. This is one of the best years for metal in a very very very long time and every dime was absolutely worth it.
05.07.2012 - 16:30
Thrashette
I've just recently started spending money on concerts and band shirts (along with the occasional album but that's not new to me), so my metal budget has probably increased by at least 3 times. I probably go to 1 or 2 concerts per month and have been getting a new band shirt around once a month as well. I'll probably cut back on the band shirts when I start running out of closet and drawer space for them. And nowadays I rarely buy albums unless it's to support a band that isn't very well-known or something I really love.