Poll

Which sellout BM band you prefer?

Dimmu Borgir
Cradle Of Filth

Total votes: 613
08.07.2006 - 04:49
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Simple. The BM sellout battle. Both COF and DM are identified as the ultimate Black Metal Sellouts. Which one do you prefer? And why? I personally prefer Dimmu. I don't like Danni Filth's voice.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
08.07.2006 - 04:58
tulkas
el parcero
I´m not a big fan of any of those two bands, but in my opinion I think that cradle has sold out more.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
08.07.2006 - 05:04
Ruines
Account deleted
i prefer dimmu cuz at least their first 2 were quite good.

cradle brought me into the metal scene tought when i was younger. But they really released only shit since midian.
08.07.2006 - 05:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Cradle of Filth has never been black metal.

Anyways, I prefer Dimmu Borgir. I like all of their albums except For All Tid and their re-make of Stormblast.
08.07.2006 - 05:55
Ruines
Account deleted
For all tid is their best release
08.07.2006 - 05:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The dude sucks at singing at it is distracting to the music.
08.07.2006 - 13:41
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 08.07.2006 at 05:19

The first few albums were (gothic) black metal. Later they became too gothic, that's why they get the extreme gothic metal label nowadays.

Anyway, my vote goes to Dimmu Borgir. Everything till Spiritual Black Dimensions is enjoyable symphonic black metal, only the last few albums are just bad. Dimmu Borgir have the talent, it is just that they prefer to sell more instead of creating classics. It is their own choice, but it is the reason why I don't like them anymore.

Cradle of Filth never really did it for me. The old material is a good introduction to the (at that time, new) gothic black metal music, but it just didn't catch my attention. Dani Filth's voice is fun for a few weeks, but after a while it becomes a source of irritation. Also, Cradle of Filth released more bad albums than Dimmu Borgir.
08.07.2006 - 13:55
lordz
IzZo
Written by Dangerboner on 08.07.2006 at 05:19

Anyways, I prefer Dimmu Borgir. I like all of their albums except For All Tid and their re-make of Stormblast.

Your the man
you always seem tro say whatever is on my mind
and thanks to the person who started this thread
I was going to create it as soon as they give me the premission to start one
cheers
08.07.2006 - 15:45
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I prefer Dimmu Borgir, I like most of their stuff ... although I have to question why the heck they went back and re-recoreded 'Stormblast'. All they did was make it sound weaker and not put a heap of effort into it (imo).

And Cradle Of Filth, well i dont like Dani's vocals and it would be bloody hard to get into a band if you cant stand the vocals.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
08.07.2006 - 15:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Bouth, I even dont know, so dont wote, CoF its I dunno, its not even BM, same liek Dimmu Borgir, but some music and songs are great and listenibl
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.07.2006 - 16:12
Stigmatized
Dimmu Borgir. They had two decent albums at the start of their career, while COF has never made anything that appealed to me.
08.07.2006 - 16:28
Dam3k
Dimmu Borgir till death, I prefer their soldout style than their pure black metal... that symphonics elemments > all
----

08.07.2006 - 19:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by AntaeusM on 08.07.2006 at 13:41

Dimmu Borgir have the talent, it is just that they prefer to sell more instead of creating classics. It is their own choice, but it is the reason why I don't like them anymore.

This is the most important thing. Besides, I don't feel sorry for this. The put out 3 amazing albums, and that's it. IMO they never could release something like THOSE again, and as long as they don't even try, it's a good thing.

Written by Stigmatized on 08.07.2006 at 16:12

Dimmu Borgir. They had two decent albums at the start of their career

Just decent? Come on, man!
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
08.07.2006 - 20:52
Damned-In-Black
I don't think Cradle of Filth can be accurately labelled a black metal sellout band. Sure, their first couple of albums had BM influences, but the gothic themes were IMO as strong as the black even back then. Sure, they became more commercial, but they're a great stepping-stone for people looking to get into extreme metal. I find it a shame however, that once people are done with CoF and have moved onto bigger things, they then join the rest of the crowd that loves to bash them. Midian is a masterpiece of an album, by any standards, yet it does not get the recognition it deserves due to peoples' willingness to blindly follow what they hear from their peers. Even the post-midian stuff is musically strong. I could rant for hours, but I know it aint gonna change anyones mind - so I won't.

As for Dimmu - Sellout or not (and this is also up for debate, but lets not linger on it), they make some fucking spectacular music nowdays. Sure, I prefer the 'proper' black metal bands to them infinitely, but I don't find cause in that to call Dimmu Borgir shit. Personally, I respect what they've done in the past, and I equally respect what they've done recently. As musical works - they deserve that at least. In comparison with CoF, their lyrics are less inspired I think, and that is important for me - so they lose out.

In short - CoF gets my vote-points, and threadstarter gets idiot-points.
08.07.2006 - 22:11
LethargyMan
Dimmu, of course. They made Progenies of the Great Apocalypse.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
08.07.2006 - 22:45
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
Written by Damned-In-Black on 08.07.2006 at 20:52

I don't think Cradle of Filth can be accurately labelled a black metal sellout band. Sure, their first couple of albums had BM influences, but the gothic themes were IMO as strong as the black even back then. Sure, they became more commercial, but they're a great stepping-stone for people looking to get into extreme metal. I find it a shame however, that once people are done with CoF and have moved onto bigger things, they then join the rest of the crowd that loves to bash them. Midian is a masterpiece of an album, by any standards, yet it does not get the recognition it deserves due to peoples' willingness to blindly follow what they hear from their peers. Even the post-midian stuff is musically strong. I could rant for hours, but I know it aint gonna change anyones mind - so I won't.

As for Dimmu - Sellout or not (and this is also up for debate, but lets not linger on it), they make some fucking spectacular music nowdays. Sure, I prefer the 'proper' black metal bands to them infinitely, but I don't find cause in that to call Dimmu Borgir shit. Personally, I respect what they've done in the past, and I equally respect what they've done recently. As musical works - they deserve that at least. In comparison with CoF, their lyrics are less inspired I think, and that is important for me - so they lose out.

Thank you for this post. All of it makes perfect sense, and I agree with everything you've said. While I do not listen to either of these bands nearly as much as I used to, I still enjoy and respect them, and spin their albums every so often.

As I have said, repeating myself constantly across these forums, I don't think a band's image or popularity, political or religious or life or financial views or anything else have anything to do with the quality of their music. Upon listening, I pass judgement. And I have found that Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are decent bands who have released memorable albums.
08.07.2006 - 23:04
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
gay thread

try-hard thread occupants.

lets move on
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
08.07.2006 - 23:46
Stigmatized
Written by Damnated on 08.07.2006 at 19:39

Written by AntaeusM on 08.07.2006 at 13:41

Dimmu Borgir have the talent, it is just that they prefer to sell more instead of creating classics. It is their own choice, but it is the reason why I don't like them anymore.

This is the most important thing. Besides, I don't feel sorry for this. The put out 3 amazing albums, and that's it. IMO they never could release something like THOSE again, and as long as they don't even try, it's a good thing.

Written by Stigmatized on 08.07.2006 at 16:12

Dimmu Borgir. They had two decent albums at the start of their career

Just decent? Come on, man!

Ok fine, they were actually pretty good for black metal.
09.07.2006 - 05:36
Daru Jericho
Dimmu for me. They have the 'Fear And Wonder' instrumental, which I love. COF have sucky vocals. Dani Filth should quit his day job.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

09.07.2006 - 11:56
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by LethargyMan on 08.07.2006 at 22:11

Dimmu, of course. They made Progenies of the Great Apocalypse.

Progenies of the great apocalypse is a gay song.
09.07.2006 - 13:17
LethargyMan
Written by Guest on 09.07.2006 at 11:56

Progenies of the great apocalypse is a gay song.

Well... yeah... But it's just so damned catchy. Also I'm a sucker for symphonies.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
09.07.2006 - 14:01
Vunts
Written by Damned-In-Black on 08.07.2006 at 20:52

I also thank you for the post. But i tell you, it's like shouting in the desert. Noone that already hates the bands and has labelled them as sellouts will change their minds. Posts like yours are just a good read for people like me (f.e) that don't say they suck just to be part of the crowd.
I voted for CoF even though i have found some material by Dimmu to be a very good listen. CoF just...seems more to my likeing and i am in the minority in the thing that i don't dislike Dani's vocals. It contributes to the feeling of the music and makes them more unique.
09.07.2006 - 16:12
Damned-In-Black
Written by Vunts on 09.07.2006 at 14:01

I tell you, it's like shouting in the desert. Noone that already hates the bands and has labelled them as sellouts will change their minds.

The unfortunate truth. Better to get ones' views out there than keep quiet about it on account of most others disagreeing, however.
11.07.2006 - 00:46
X-FrEaK
hum...difficult poll...i dont know if i will vote...i love all of the cradle stuff ive heard and i havent hear only two albuns i think(cruelty and the beast and principle of evil made flesh)...as for dimmu...i heard Puritania Euphoric Misanthropia, Death Cult Armageddon and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, i have the remastering of Stormblast but i havent heard much of it...hum...its very hard =|
----
11.07.2006 - 00:58
Niflhel
Account deleted
Dimmu for sure, whose music i actually like.
I really dont like it when people compare the two
11.07.2006 - 00:59
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I had said it before and repeat it now... Cradle Of Filth are one of the best Metal bands EVER.. couldn't care less if they succeed economically, I'm actually even glad that they do because they're among the most original and groundbreaking acts ever... enough said.
11.07.2006 - 01:31
Doc Sooty
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.07.2006 at 00:58

Neither does Shaggy. He seems to have a dislike towards CoF.
11.07.2006 - 01:50
Niflhel
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.07.2006 at 01:31

Written by Guest on 11.07.2006 at 00:58

Neither does Shaggy. He seems to have a dislike towards CoF.

Which reminds me
shagrath is waaaaaaay hotter than dani, thats enough to give dimmu my vote
11.07.2006 - 05:34
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 11.07.2006 at 00:59

I had said it before and repeat it now... Cradle Of Filth are one of the best Metal bands EVER.. couldn't care less if they succeed economically, I'm actually even glad that they do because they're among the most original and groundbreaking acts ever... enough said.

A truly original opinion. I don't like COF, but I gotta respect you for that.
11.07.2006 - 13:09
Baz Anderson
Staff
you didnt really have to title this poll like that did you. oh well
well i have a thing with Cradle Of Filth - i LOVE their early albums, up until 'Midian' and then i think they start going downhill
'Damnation And A Day' is actually a really really good album if people just gave it a chance and overlooked the record label and perfect production
but 'Nymphetamine' - although it has some good points isnt really my sort of thing any more. i dread hearing the new album..

Dimmu Borgir is nearly the opposite for me, the albums in the middle i get on with most
i dont listen to Dimmu Borgir as much i dont think but the music they are making now i definatly prefer over Cradle Of Filth
but i have voted for Cradle Of Filth because of the legacy and their brilliant albums that will always be there