Metal Storm logo
The metal scene in your area

17.05.2006 - 10:22
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Okay, well this is the same thread created on the old version of metalstorm. Please share with us how you feel about the metal scene in your city/town/village/hamlet. Some ideas are say... how often you get concerts in your town, or if there are a lot of people or not into the metal scene, etc. etc.

Well here in Regina Saskatchewan I find that it's pretty bad, but it has gotten a lot better over the past few months. We don't get very many bigger name bands anymore, but the local scene is quite alive. Those shows get a lot of people (the last one even sold out), but I find that a lot of bands don't come by here much anymore. I would like to see more bigger name metal bands play some shows here, but it just doesn't happen anymore. Before when they were supposed to play, they were often cancelled and that really irritated me.

As far as metal people are concerned, well I've been noticing a little more now than I did before as well. So to sum it up, I'd say that the scene was dying here, but it's being revived so to speak.
17.05.2006 - 15:01
Daru Jericho
Well, living in London is very healthy for metal! You can find good underground record stores that sell a wide collection of metal artists, including the much rarer titles. Most of the time, when bands do a some kind of European tour London is on it, not to mention that London is on EVERY UK tour. Sometimes we get spoilt for choice!

However, my town is pretty bad for metal. I don't have any close metalhead friends here. I've seen some metalheads walk the streets, many more this year than say two years ago so it's obviously growing. Local bands in my town don't really play metal at all but you get quite a few that play in central London, so it's not all bad. I always wonder where all the fans at metal gigs that I go to are hiding the rest of the time. It sucks being the biggest metalhead I know
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

17.05.2006 - 15:50
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
Well metal scene in romania...from my point of view it sucks big time no decent metal shops (original t-shirts & cd's for example), metal pubs at least in bucharest are inexistent and if they play metal music it's the same old bands again and again. As for concerts we ahve a releative big one every 3 or 4 months. Romanian bands from my point of view are some of the lousiest on the planet except Avatar (a quite decent death metal band), Voices of Silence (us power metal band) & M.S. (a true heavy metal band).
17.05.2006 - 21:16
LethargyMan
Bah. All the local bands around here are shitty emo bands.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
17.05.2006 - 21:41
Conemetal
Metal scene in Bolivia is small and really underground, but it's growing because the great effort of the metalheads. I'm proud because I'm well received in the underground metal scene in my city (La Paz). We don't have many international concerts because we are out of the tours routes, although we had some good concerts here: Therion (twice), Kreator, Destruction, Sepultura, Helloween, Hammerfall, Transmetal (Mexico), Barón Rojo (Spain), Ian Gillian, argentinians Rata Blanca and Horcas. There was many concerts of latinamerican and local underground bands. The best bands of Bolivian metal are: Hate (Thrash), Lilith (Black), Estertor (Doom-death), Necromancy (Black), Metastasys (Death-thrash), The Torment (Death) and there are many more. Here in La Paz, there is only one music store where we can get cd's, DVD's and some t-shirts.
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
17.05.2006 - 22:39
Tron
@LethargyMan: Same problem here. All these bands from Satakunta region (that's my home region) cannot be described as anything but "metal". They're not death, not melodic, no black / doom / power etc. they're just a low-quality fusion of nu and thrash I think.
----
After each game, the king and the jester go in the same box.
17.05.2006 - 23:04
pyroclasm
Account deleted
In my region, let's say the region of Kortrijk-Waregem in Belgium, there are a few good local bands, most of them play black. There aren't a lot of gigs with great names listed, but there are often concerts of local bands in the area. In august Lacrimosa and Haggard are coming and in november Evergrey and Savage circus are performing very nearby, which is quite unusual, so I'll be attending both gigs for certain.
17.05.2006 - 23:09
Endoftherainbow
Here in London there is a decent amount of people who like metal I guess and ever since In Flames played here and had a sold out show London seems to be a more popular place for metal bands to come play. Upcomming metal concerts in London worth mentioning are Strapping Young Lad, Behemoth, and Cryptopsy. Also recently a couple good bands have came here like Cephalic Carnage, Opeth, and Dark Tranquillity. One of the problems though is any metal record or dvd that you want needs to be ordered because no record stores here have a decent metal section. Another thing is there i really only one somewhat well known band for here which is Thine Eyes Bleed and there mostly known because they're the opening band on the Unholy Alliance Tour.
17.05.2006 - 23:10
Horlequism
Account deleted
The metal scene in my area is terrible...everyone here listens to either emo, punk, pop, RnB or rap...there is no metal scene here...
17.05.2006 - 23:58
Dam3k
Well the metal scene in my city it's... low-average I could say.... There's a few TRUE heavy metalers but there's a bunch of rockers who think they are heavy metalers and hear just punk and spanish rock//hard rock, anyway, most of the people listen to pop music in the way of "Popstars" and all that shitty stuff =) there's a bit collective of southern-american people who listent to rap or reggeton music.
----

18.05.2006 - 01:00
Black Death
Not to good where i live. We never have any concerts (good ones). I live in a small town populated by old people so there is not much of a metal following. There is probably ten people in my school that listen to metal.
----
The Reaper is calling for you to come home
18.05.2006 - 01:02
Shojo
Account deleted
There is a metal scene in the area around my city ... unfortunately, it is only little known. There are some Black Metal Bands, but because I am not really in Black Metal, I don't know them. There are also some Gothic Metal Bands. Occationally, there are even some festivals, like the With Full Force or the Woodstage. But I don't know anyone who is in Power Metal, or in Heavy Metal.

But most of the bands of my region are in Punk, Rock, Pop, etc.
18.05.2006 - 01:17
joeydude
Account deleted
the metal scene in vancouver (thats canada you idiots) is fuckin kickass in my opinion. great bar shows very often. Fairly good variety of styles. Vancouver often gets shafted for big tours but not always, ive seen mgedath and preist and bodom and anthrax and im gonna see slayer this summer. i actually prefer bar shows though, cheaper, beter sound and you dont have to hide your beer:beer:
18.05.2006 - 17:31
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Domination Black
Total Devastation
Manitou
Omnium Gatherum
Darkus
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
19.05.2006 - 17:13
Stoemp
Not much to see around the city of Roeselare in Belgium. For all great concerts I have to drive at least 1-2 hours. Sometimes there's a gig closer, but then it's mostly unknown bands. The bigger bands are always in Antwerp, Vosselaar or Brussels. A pity, but that doesn't stop me from going there!
20.05.2006 - 04:57
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
There isint really a "Metal scene" in my area, but of the kids that do listen to metal here, most of them listen to Nu Metal and Metalcore, they listen to such bands as Slipknot, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Atreyu, and like really soft crappy stuff, the only people i know are 3 other guys in my band that listen to Brutal Death Metal and Death Metal Goregrind, like bands such as Rompeprop, Devourment, Disavowed, Vomitory, Vader, Vital Remains, Inhume, Regurgitate, and other stuff like that. But theirs barley anyone that listens to metal anyways in my area.
20.05.2006 - 11:34
Lost One
Account deleted
The metal scene in my area is virtually non-existant. It's okay though, I'm usually only a bus ride away from great gigs. Two of the bigger cities in my area do get lots of good stuff, for example After Forever, King Diamond, Devin Townsend band and Kamelot are coming in the next two months.
20.05.2006 - 12:10
Eternal Flames
The Metal scene here in Australia (Melbourne) is rather strong and it's getting stronger. In the suburb that I live, there are very few Metalheads, but generally in Melbourne there are quite a few metal fans around. I've noticed that there are more and more underage fans getting into Metal. It seems that Death Metal dominates here, although there are still quite a few Melodic Metal bands and fans here still.
20.05.2006 - 18:19
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
The scene in my area has gone through some major shifts: in the late 80s, there were a ton of metalheads around, but the scene died out considerably during the 90s. I think a lot of it has to do with the population shift - my town in particular is a hotbed of illegal immigrants (no, I'm not being racist, I'm just telling it like it is - I used to work in a factory and I had 45 guys working for me, and they were all illegal - the first six I hired only had 2 social security numbers between them. When I told them they needed to be different, they responded "no problem, only $50 for a new one, I'll buy one and bring it tomorrow"). All of the areas I hung out in back in the 80s have been totally overrun - you never see any whites, blacks, asians, etc. anymore, it's all latino/hispanic/mexican and everything is in spanish, so all you hear is this funny mexican music that reminds me of polkas from 50 years ago and has lots of tuba in it - it's actually quite humorous music.

Despite that though, surprisingly, the metal scene in my area is growing. Someone converted an old single screen movie theater into a club and tons of metal bands play there. It's mostly local bands, but we get the occassional bigger name (Macabre was here last year, as were Dead to Fall and Enforsaken). This is great for me because the theater is a 5-minute walk from my house ... and yet, I've never been to a show there. I know, I'm a loser. Even though I've never gone there, it has helped me see that we have a surprisingly strong underground metal scene. Very few of the bands are from my town, but many are within a 15-mile radius, which is excellent. There are even more metal bands as you move closer to Chicago.

Some of the better local bands: Veneficum, Empyrean Sky, Enforsaken, Deficit, Withering Soul, Eden's Fall, Ion Vein, Twelfth Gate, Ravensthorn ... I'm sure there are dozens more that I'm not thinking of.

Also, I'm 40 miles from Chicago, so all the big bands come through - I never have to worry if a band touring the US is going to come to my town, because they all want to play Chicago. I'm also only a 1-hour drive from Milwaukee, home of the Milwaukee Metal Fest, so that is within my reach.
20.05.2006 - 21:47
The Walrus
Moonsorrow
I live in town near Haifa ,and here are a lot of metallers ,but it depends who are metallers for you ? they listen to Nightwish ,Kreator,In Flames ,COB, ect...
and about the concerts , here are no concerts of famous bands ,only local noob bands , but all the concerts of the famous bands are at Tel-Aviv and at the last year here are a lot of concerts of famous bands ,sonething that wasn't ere for a lot of years , the bands they was\will be here :
Opeth ,Samael ,Kreator (27.5) ,Epica (2.6) ,Dissection (18.6) ...
in conclution i think that the number of the people who listen to metal is growing and growing ...
----
21.05.2006 - 10:54
Laevos
Account deleted
Unfortunately, there's almost no metal concerts in the city I live. We just have about 4 or 5 of well-known bands, and those bands are known only nationally . The last great concert here I remember was Stratovarius, several years ago. Well, at least we have some good national bands, such as Sepultura and Angra. Hope they come back here soon...
23.05.2006 - 14:27
Pierre Tombale
Elite
The scene in my hometown is pretty much focused on death metal,
there are no concerts at all, no metal shops, only the so called biggest metal party of northern germany (called Götterdämmerung), but I never went there.
In the centers for bands there are mostly bands that play death metal.
I am in a band that plays mostly Heavy / Power metal, but we have severe problems finding new members. It took us 4 months to find a drummer and we have no singer yet...
24.05.2006 - 19:12
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
The metal scene in Aarhus, Denmark is pretty lousy. Maybe 2 or 3 gigs a year...We had a "national championship of metal" here a couple of years ago, but it didn't make any money so it wasn't continued
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
24.05.2006 - 21:24
genz
Account deleted
I live in Israel, in the south, and there is a pretty good metal scene over here. Over the past year, the amount of slayer T-shirts in my area has risen considerably...

We get quite a few metal performances here, but most of them are local bands. Some of them are better than others, some are just plain shite...

All in all, I'm pretty happy
24.05.2006 - 22:03
Skull Of Steel
Account deleted
Well... My area is quite small.. I live in Malta, (small island under sicily), and my town is Zabbar. I would be surprised if I found more than 100 REAL metallers, or even real rockers...

In Malta there are quite some, however most bands are death metal, not really much variation.
25.05.2006 - 00:44
McKillem
Account deleted
I currently live in Enschede and the metal scene is quite big here.
We even have our own organisation called: The Enschedese Headbangers Organisation (Enschedese Head Bangers Organisatie).
Not part of it though.
25.05.2006 - 06:38
southern_metal
Account deleted
Not that great in my area. A lot a rap and pop stuff. There are some teen bands that play like old Metallica and another that plays grindcore and another that is like Christian Death Metal if that is possible.
A lot kids listen to metal, but not true metal.
28.05.2006 - 09:22
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
In Colombia there are many metal bands from everywhere, even in small towns, but in some cities the metal scene is quite small, in the big cities the metal scene is just great, with lots of concerts and metalheads
The only thing is that here, most of the bands are extreme metal, we haven't many melodic bands
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
29.05.2006 - 02:45
Bard
Account deleted
The Metal scene in my area was ZERO no bands at alll came to our city, but then one faitful day In Flames came and ever since then we ahve been getting tons and tons of great metal bands, like Opeth, Hypocrisy, and many other, and hopefully many more to come.
29.05.2006 - 13:06
Icewings
La Luna
Hi my dear Great Thread ...

Well here where I live I can't complain too much about it , I have gone to really really special concerts even with telling you that I almost saw all the bands I wanted to see , I mean don't get me wrong ..but I mean the bands that mark my childhood and things like that as an example Therion . so well to get cd's is not thate easy but we do have anice store and sometimes they have cd's for good prizes and I like that because you can buy more cd;s if you wish or things like that .

As for the people sure , we have the punks , and goths, and Emo , but I learn about their music just liek I teach them about mine , there's some metalheads as well but the problem is the distance between cities but wel as overall is not excellent but is good ..

Hope to see you soon
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back