Metal Storm logo
Release limited to 666 copies

08.02.2009 - 00:35
Symmachus
Why are so many versions of albums released in 666 copies? Is there a reason for that other than "it's the number of the beast LOLOL"? I notice that a lot. I'm just curious, since I read the recent news on the band God Dethroned and they have one of those things going on.
08.02.2009 - 00:42
ForeverDarkWoods
It's pure kvlt cred based. Bands think they're cool if they limit their stuff so not everybody can have it (which isn't even the case anymore due to internet piracy), and if they limit it to 666 copies it somehow according to this logic makes them extra necroblasphemosatanic, and thus extra cool.

666 also isn't a ridiculously low number like 200 or 20 copies are (I personally think releasing something in qualtities of 20 only for kvltness is ultra gay). Some people are actually getting the release and if you sell them you may just get enough money to pay for the recording and printing of said release. Bands, no matter how underground, generally don't want to operate at a loss needing to grab money out of their own savings just to avoid selling out, if they have an option to make it go around. If a band actually pays money to avoid selling out that would be mega fucking ultra homosexual.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
08.02.2009 - 01:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
My demo "And Silent Woods Remain" has 2 physical copies (i mean really burned printed cds and printed cover art) - one for me, one for one friend who asked for it...thats what i call "rare stuff"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.02.2009 - 01:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 08.02.2009 at 01:17

My demo "And Silent Woods Remain" has 2 physical copies (i mean really burned printed cds and printed cover art) - one for me, one for one friend who asked for it...thats what i call "rare stuff"

I know theres one US black metal band who wanted to show how cult they were they recorded an EP and only printed 2 copies, one they buried in the desert, the other they sent to a random address across the world. The name of the band escapes me now...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.02.2009 - 01:41
thesabbathfan
Written by Doc G. on 08.02.2009 at 01:26

I know theres one US black metal band who wanted to show how cult they were they recorded an EP and only printed 2 copies, one they buried in the desert, the other they sent to a random address across the world. The name of the band escapes me now...

...what the fuck?
----
08.02.2009 - 01:42
Ragana
Rawrcat

Trve. And what was the use of recording it? Ghhh, lack of brains.
08.02.2009 - 02:23
Symmachus

Hahaha, that's hilarious! Some ideas that people come up with are so crazy.
08.02.2009 - 02:26
Symmachus
I recently made a demo along with some friends, who were kind of session members for the demo, and I so far have made 20 copies of that demo. I'm not yet trying to get signed though; I'll probably have to record some more demos and possibly splits before that's possible.
08.02.2009 - 19:44
VPeter
666 is just pure to be kvlt and metal and of course for the hell of it. just like nuclear blast's special offers all priced 6.66
08.02.2009 - 20:37
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite

brilliant
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
08.02.2009 - 23:28
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Wow...that's such a BM kvlt thing to do haha...

I bet you that my band would do something like that just to be kvlt...I personally would never do anything like that with any kinda solo project...but I never heard of this...
09.02.2009 - 12:01
Elio
Red Nightmare
this is an extra gay thing!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.02.2009 - 12:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
From spending time in MA all 666 copie mainly are BM bands and those rar BM bands, rear demo , single or rear album, there was some DM bands to, but mainky BM and alos many has 333 copies , or for example 333 blue copies, 333 green copies
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.02.2009 - 15:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 09.02.2009 at 12:18

From spending time in MA all 666 copie mainly are BM bands and those rar BM bands, rear demo , single or rear album, there was some DM bands to, but mainky BM and alos many has 333 copies , or for example 333 blue copies, 333 green copies

Also a lot of doom is released with a maxium of 600 copies. But then again that is mostly vinyl.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.02.2009 - 15:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.02.2009 at 15:46

Written by Bad English on 09.02.2009 at 12:18

Also a lot of doom is released with a maxium of 600 copies. But then again that is mostly vinyl.

Yes I know but its more underground realises not mainstream, but BM more use 666 like symbol of realises
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.02.2009 - 19:49
Joker
Maybe satan is gay afterall..
10.02.2009 - 18:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
That's fucking fantastic, Doctor Rock, i wish i had thought of it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.02.2009 - 18:23
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite

So that was the weird album I received in the mail.
----
(space for rent)
10.02.2009 - 18:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.02.2009 - 03:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 10.02.2009 at 18:19

That's fucking fantastic, Doctor Rock, i wish i had thought of it.

Yes, I found it quite funny. Try hunting that album down Marcel!

Next time I speak with my brother I'll have to ask which band it was, I know we were discussing a lot of Weakling and Wolves In The Throne room when he brought it up, so I think its somewhere along those lines, musically speaking.

@All the people quoting me and replying to my post: It was definitely a joke by the band. I'm pretty sure they went Darkthrone on that recording (in other words, recorded it in like 2 days), and I doubt there was much effort put into the song writing, if there was I'm sure they would have at least pressed a dozen copies.

EDIT: It was Weakling after all! And apparently they never ACTUALLY happened, but these stories were instead used as a publicity stunt, heres what the wikipedia story says:

Quote:
Prior to the release of the album, a few odd tales sprung up about the possible ways it could be distributed, including printing a single copy to be given to a single fan in Europe or burying copies of the album in the ground and giving maps to fans who wanted to find them. Band leader John Gossard has since decried the spread of these stories as a publicity stunt pulled by the band's record label noting that the ideas were never intended to be more than a joke between the band members.

My mistake.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.02.2009 - 00:51
Hamird
Lieutenant
There's an idea for guys here want to destroy that bands idea..

Burn 2 CDs of your record.
You can find an old house, which no one leaves there and place one of the copies in the basement's toilet siphon. And put some surreptitious clues on your Myspace blog, and talk about something mysterious in Tibet.. (that's a map). In the map, show the way to your own house.. If someone idiot came to your door and asked about the map.. You give him a floppy disk included the location of a Buddhist temple in eastern Asia.. There's a monk who knows about a Buddhist family live in your hometown, who mysteriously killed.. The idiot will go that house, there he finds many papers, documents, and many other mysterious stuff.. He will also search the basement, but fortune is not in his side, and he finds nothing..
He will go to toilet, if he respect the landlords' soul, and pull the siphon after his work, he will find a CD there; else he dies in hope of finding the CD.
And you can sell the second copy on E-bay..
14.02.2009 - 03:47
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I have an idea that is more kvlt than any other. If I recorded something, I would make only one copy of it, in cassette format. I would then shove said cassette up my ass where it will remain until I die. Thousands of years will pass, and archaeologists will come upon my grave and find the cassette. They will then make all sorts of theories about how I was a great musician and how I wanted to be buried with my first recording.
14.02.2009 - 08:31
Throne Dweller
Well, when my band makes an EP I'd do something like, 1993 copies, since that year is fucking epic. Especially in metal.

Only problem is managing to sell them all, that would be a feat of its own, being Australian.
11.06.2010 - 22:14
busta5000
Account deleted
Limited to 666 copies maybe all are devoted to satan!! lol.