Metal Storm logo
Random Theory Questions

11.07.2006 - 06:27
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I have a random theory question that I wanted to ask you all - then I realized that others might have random theory questions so I decided to make this topic so everyone could post their questions as they come up.

Ok.. here is my random theory question:

Whch notes do I play when the chord reads: Cm7/F (I'm currently on piano)? Obviously I know how to play Cm7 and F chords but don't remember what do with when they're right now to each other. Do I play the Cm7 chord THEN just an F by itself (not a chord)? Or is it something to do with the bass note. Thanks if anyone knows!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
12.07.2006 - 08:19
WarriorOfMetal
C Eb G Bb

and then the F is in the bass, so really you'd be playing F C Eb G Bb, which would be Cm7(11) in root position.

fucking jazz chords....i hate them so much
04.09.2015 - 00:32
HadesRhythm
This is my question, too :

I'm very very curious about symphonic metal concepts, as I like bands like Nightwish, Epica, Anorexia Nervosa, Leaves' Eyes, Dimmu Borgir, etc. I know all of them are symphonic metal bands, and all of them use symphonic elements, but I'm curious about how guitar (and riffs) work in symphonic metal.

See this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DkUiDzCQms

When he plays "Symphonic Metal", it sounds very harmonized. How can I get this harmony? by using two guitars or special effects?!
10.03.2016 - 22:35
Enteroctopus
Symphonic music works on repeated themes and building on top of one another. Since you are layering parts they tend to be simpler and the song gains momentum by adding melody lines. Also, the piece gains its power through repetition of a strong theme, best example Beethoven's Fifth Symphony: BUM BUM BUM BAAAM.. He beats that one to death!

Your Dimmu Borgir type band is kind of doing the same thing. If you look at a sheet music for that you'll think, "Wow! 28 measures of the same thing!" There's a lot of measures filled with eighth-note powerchords, that sort of thing. I think "Mourning Palace" is a great example, it's all built around that keyboard arpeggio, and a powerful piece it is!

In that brief section of the video (symphonic metal) yes, he's got two guitars in harmony. He seems to be just playing octaves over that section. You can get a loop pedal, but I find them hard to work with. If you are new to that kind of thing try Metallica's "Fade to Black." Approachable song, even the solo is beginner stuff.

Same idea with guitar in symphonic metal: harmonizing in thirds, mostly. Start off in unison then move one guitar up two notes (from C to E..), keeping the same relationship (space) between the notes in the key. Another way to think about it is take a melody on the E string, move it to the A string and back one fret. Close enough. Modify any sour notes, you know.

"Fade To Black" has some great, pretty easy harmonies.