Metal Storm logo
Favourite classical composer

Original post

Posted by Yossarian, 26.06.2009 - 21:50
Hi. I don't know why, but I love polls.

I have recently taken some classical music from my girlfriend hard disk, cos I have just classical in vinyls and the idea of creating a poll here came to my mind.

It is widely admitted that, despite the obvious great differences, metal is the music style more close to classical music as regards skill, complication and feeling, so many metalheads like classical and understand a lot about it, above all if you can play.

I have always been a huge fan of Classical after some Spanish heavy metal bands back in the 80's considered Beethoven -Barón Rojo- and Bach -Obús-, as the main influence for metal in their opinions... well that is open to discussion, since, if Jimi Hendrix would not have created or made popular the distortion, metal would not be so metallic and blues-rock was the most immediate trigger.

Nevertheless, coming back again to the topic. I know that some of you have not heard some of the ones in the list and some others like another composers not reflected. To begin with, I have not considered classical artists mostly working in opera and the like, so there is no Verdi, Wagner... Secondly, there can be only 9 choices, so I have not been able to put many that I like a lot such as Listz, Brahms, Tchaikovski or Debussy.
Besides, I have include "Mozart" for his importance, though I don't like him very much, since he abused of Mayor scales and chords and I prefer Minor Tones, since they evoke more feeling, sadness, mystery...metal.

Alright. To finish. I hope you will like this poll. I will put my choice in some days after revising Beethoven and Bach "discography". Both of them are my favourite ones alike. Hard to decide.

Poll

Which is your favourite composer of classical music

ANOTHER
Beethoven
Mozart
Bach
Vivaldi
Chopin
Paganini
Schumann
Schubert

Total votes: 66
09.09.2009 - 23:25
Yossarian
Thanks for the recommendations, Silver Foxy, though I have already listened to the composers and works you mention...
Have a nice week.
11.03.2010 - 09:21
renai
There are a lot of composers spawning from Baroq to 20th century music, so I choose 'another'. My favorite beside those mainstream composers are Mendelssohn, Sibelius, Elgar, Mahler. Not so much like those atonal and serrialism componist though like Schoenberg and friends.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
06.04.2010 - 23:11
caimanjosh
I'd second the love for Antonín Dvořák. From what I've heard of his symphonies, they tend to fairly fast-paced, powerful, and dramatic. Perfect for the classical-neophyte metalhead like myself. Dramatic works like Beethoven's 5th and 9th symphonies are also very enjoyable.
08.04.2010 - 23:21
Inlé
OTHER:

Mahler is probably my overall #1. Like all Mahler fans I think his 5th is excellent and I'm glad it gets the attention it deserves, but the really unparalleled Gustav Mahler symphonies have to be the first 3, especially the 2nd.

Others that I really like are Dvorak, Prokofiev, Brahms (all 4 symphonies are brilliant), Beethoven, Rossini, Holst, Gabriel Fauré. They're the top ones anyway!

Out of your list, Beethoven is my favourite, and the only one from that list who is perpetually somewhere in my top 5, heh.
16.04.2010 - 07:57
Yossarian
Nobody likes Schumann or Schubert? Schubert's Death and the Maiden is fantastic and Schumann symphonies beyond brilliance.
A curiosity about Schumann is that he was obsessed in not being able to play his works since his fingers were not so thin and large, so he started tying them so as to increase the separation between them and reach more piano keys. He suffered severe damage for this practice and almost lost movility in one hand.
16.04.2010 - 21:40
Roro
My bf had just introduce me to chopin.i liked his music
17.04.2010 - 02:54
I_Die_Often
Hard to choose, they are all my favorites.
Love Chopin's piano works and Vivaldi's four seasons is wonderful.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
17.04.2010 - 10:07
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
My dad used to play me lots of classical music when I was a kid. Usually it was because he wanted me to fall asleep faster. Thanks to him I like classical music so much. It's actually surprising how close classical music and metal sometimes are. Nowadays I usually listen to classical music when I'm studying. It helps me concentrate.

It's really hard to choose just one. The very first composers whose compositions I ever listened to were Mozart and Beethoven. After that came Grieg, Vivaldi and Chopin. I've never really liked Bach so much. One of the most beautiful pieces is Albinoni's Adagio. Not to forget Sibelius and Finlandia, which I think would be a much better national anthem for Finland than the one we have now.

After all this I think I'm still gonna say that my favourite is Mozart. He was really talented. Though I haven't listened to all the great composers in the world, so my mind can change easily, if I hear something even better.
----
You'll never walk alone.
02.05.2010 - 20:31
Yossarian
Thanks for all your replies. I wonder if Schumann, Schubert or Paganini is nobody's favourite in here?.
I thought that many metalstormers would like Paganini for the speed and virtuosity.
Cheers
21.07.2010 - 21:04
Behdaad
DEAD
I voted for Vivaldi.
I love the Four Seasons!

It ROCKS! Lol!
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
15.01.2012 - 08:30
Yossarian
No votes yet for Schubert. He is quite "metal" in a way. Not so much as Beethoven, but he is
15.01.2012 - 09:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I would think Wagner is closest to metal in regards to classical composers.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.01.2012 - 20:52
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.01.2012 at 09:53

I would think Wagner is closest to metal in regards to classical composers.

Hah, I've always thought that too.
Looks like Hitler was (the closest thing to) a metalhead.
15.01.2012 - 21:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Maurice Ravel, Richard Wagner, Ludwig Van Beethoven.
16.01.2012 - 01:38
IronAngel
Excluding contemporaries, I would nowadays say Satie, Ravel and Debussy. Erik Satie is definetely in a league of his own. Such a unique stylen anticipating 20th and 21st century music like no other.
16.01.2012 - 16:49
FrozenCorpse
GTotta be Bach for me.
19.01.2012 - 19:06
Yossarian
Written by IronAngel on 16.01.2012 at 01:38

Excluding contemporaries, I would nowadays say Satie, Ravel and Debussy. Erik Satie is definetely in a league of his own. Such a unique stylen anticipating 20th and 21st century music like no other.

I will check Satie. Thanks.
19.01.2012 - 22:23
IronAngel
Written by Yossarian on 19.01.2012 at 19:06

I will check Satie. Thanks.

I believe Aldo Ciccolini is the "canonized" interpreter of Satie (I have his Satie: Works For Piano published by EMI) but I actually prefer Reinbert de Leeuw. He plays slower and softer, and that just tickles me fancy.

de Leeuw:

Ciccolini:
20.01.2012 - 13:59
Sophist
Voted Beethoven, but I really love Prokofiev too.
20.01.2012 - 17:25
Thyroid
I chose ANOTHER - for Shostakovich. This is kinda tough question to me - most favourite classical composition ever would have been easier question
Names like Arvo Pärt and Sibelius also came to mind... and I enjoy really much all those composers mentioned on poll.
----
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt.
What the fuck's really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?
20.01.2012 - 19:24
Vombatus
Potorro
Don't have a favorite, but those I listen most would be Mussorgsky and Bach. They are heavy as fuck. Also have some favorite individual compositions like Stravinsky's Firebird or Verdi's Requiem - Dies Irae
21.01.2012 - 15:53
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
I'd have to go with Grieg I think, although Mussorgsky and Vivaldi would be close
21.01.2012 - 17:38
Ghostdancer
I chose Mozart...although I also like Bach, Grieg & Wagner as well.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
15.07.2012 - 18:50
helofloki
Voted for the Beat Oven. His music is pretty much perfect and I love the way it never seems to end. He is the coda king. Dude's also pretty metal, just listen to the 5th symphony starting with the third movement. The way it goes into the fourth is just unreal. That's power, man. Damn.
15.07.2012 - 19:45
Fritillaria
Account deleted
I like paccini and purcell so much
16.07.2012 - 03:16
Oaken
Hipster
I like classical music whenever I hear it, but I need to listen to it seriously. I prefer gloomy-sounding composers. Any suggestions?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
16.07.2012 - 06:29
helofloki
Oaken, avoid Mozart. He's great, but not gloomy. Beethoven's a great gloomer, Schubert too. If you can find Schubert's string quintet, it's one of the greatest pieces ever written (classical experts agree on this, it's amazing). Mahler is also wicked gloomy, not to mention just strait up bad ass. If his second symphony doesn't kick your ass, well, it'll kick your ass, believe me. He also has a song cycle called 'songs for dead children', if you're into classical style songs (operatic vocals and what not).
08.08.2012 - 10:25
Yossarian
Written by Oaken on 16.07.2012 at 03:16

I like classical music whenever I hear it, but I need to listen to it seriously. I prefer gloomy-sounding composers. Any suggestions?

I suppose that i will write it wrong. Try the symphonies and concerts of Tchaikovski. He is quite dark.

Cheers
19.08.2012 - 18:35
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Niccolò Paganini is a god, but then again i don't know that many classical composers.. probably 15 max
19.08.2012 - 23:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I don't want to sound like Joey deMaio (who apparently is a huge Wagner fan) but Richard Wagner attracts me the most and I think the OP should have included him in the poll.