Metal Storm logo
Metalhead Suffering From Severe Tinnitus And Hyperacusis Commits Suicide

Sad news in the Belgian newspapers today. Dietrich Hectors, a 29-year old Belgian metalhead (and a doctor of engineering) killed himself last Friday because he was suffering from a severe form of tinnitus and hyperacusis. Tinnitus is an incurable condition, where the ear is permanently damaged, resulting in an over-sensitivity to certain frequency ranges of sound. Despite taking some sort of medication, in the end, every single sound hurted his ears, especially his own voice. "This disease controls my life: every word hurts."

His ears got damaged permanently after a Sepultura concert in 1996. From then on, he used ear plugs for almost every loud activity. After a rehearsel with his metal band - where he forgot his plugs because he was in a hurry - his condition got worse. Eventually, Dietrich Hectors was forced to quit the band in 2003. He also gave up most of his social life - avoiding pubs etc. - locking himself up in total loneliness and silence. After visiting a small, local music festival in 2006, he took off his ear plugs, just when people started firing fireworks right next to him. When he got his plugs back in, already a few explosions had passed. The next few days, his ears started hurting like never before.

In his goodbye letter, Hectors wrote: "For the first time in my life, the ringing noise in my ears is totally unbearable. It goes beyond anything. Despite the heavier medication, EVERYTHING is hurting my ears, especially my own voice. I can no longer communicate - just when I really needed to talk with the people around me the most. A hundred times, I tried to fight back, kept myself in silence, involved in antisocial behaviour - waiting for some sort of improvement. But there is a line somewhere. That line is reached. Please respect my choice, my life has become a living hell."

He also added he now regrets his switch in musical preferences from hard-rock to heavy metal...

Dutch-speaking people can read the whole letter at this location.

May you rest in Peace and Silence, Dietrich.

Source: gva.be
Posted: 22.07.2009 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 64   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 317 users
22.07.2009 - 17:21
Elio
Red Nightmare
Woah sad story. Guess you guys wants us to understand the importance of earplugs...
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
22.07.2009 - 17:26
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Damn... what a hell... would'nt be better to become deaf?

Quote:
He also added he now regrets his switch in musical preferences from hard-rock to heavy metal...

Why can't he regret being more responsable with his health?
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.07.2009 - 17:34
Iskariota
M/ Respect for him. m/
22.07.2009 - 17:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Uirapuru on 22.07.2009 at 17:26

Probably not, I'm guessing it was 'phantom pain', not sure what the English term is, but pain in a limb which isn't actually there. (Ever heard of people having pains in their amputated legs, for example?)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.07.2009 - 17:38
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite

Quote:

Why can't he regret being more responsable with his health?

My thoughts as well. Your ears could be damaged going to see Mountain or Megadeth just as well as being damaged going to see Garth Brookes or The Rolling Stones.
----
(space for rent)
22.07.2009 - 17:46
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Lucas on 22.07.2009 at 17:38

Probably not, I'm guessing it was 'phantom pain', not sure what the English term is, but pain in a limb which isn't actually there. (Ever heard of people having pains in their amputated legs, for example?)

Ah. so it kinda hits directly the brain? Well... in this case the situation is really unbeareble...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.07.2009 - 17:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
The moral of this story is of course to use them damn earplugs when going at gigs... i'm sad i didn't do that beforehand, i might have suffered ear damage as well, though i don't realize it now..
22.07.2009 - 17:49
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Actually the Rolling Stones got much more louder speakers, so ... anywayz, it was his choice, but you have to be responsible towards yourself and your personal health in the first place, and then everything else ... and besides this is a very rare ccurance, many thousands of people go to concerts, and are prefectly fine afterwards ... anywayz, may he rest in peace, regardless of everything else.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
22.07.2009 - 17:59
Holy_Diver
In my opinion it has been long time that there comes a law for the maximum decibels at a gig. In my country (Holland) there has been a non-smoking law at bars and tents. I Think the politicians are just hypocits if they forbid smoking, but still allow noise levels at gigs wich are just as dangerous as breathing smoke. Once at a gig I saw a sign at the mixing board wich said "95 decibles max". It has been known for years that your ears get permanent damage at noise levels up from 80 decibels, so if the sound engineers dont think about the public, there has to come a law for it!
22.07.2009 - 17:59
MeloDeathViking
That's really a shame. It's amazing the amount of pain that two small ear plugs can save you.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
22.07.2009 - 18:21
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I noticed it kills your ears if you stay on the front row or similar rows. So basically I avoid staying there. Because it hurts my ears and because I can't breathe.

Even though I don't wear the earplugs I take simple measures like staying away from the fatal zones.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
22.07.2009 - 18:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 22.07.2009 at 18:21

Even though I don't wear the earplugs I take simple measures like staying away from the fatal zones.

The entire venue is a fatal zone, not just the first couple of rows. So, always wear earplugs.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2009 - 18:41
dancingdecember
Wow...what a dramatic story.Could be well made in a short film.

Respect.
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
22.07.2009 - 18:45
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Funny thing, I've always worn my earplugs for concerts and my past ex-band rehearsals. I heard if you don't take the precautions early on you might not notice a big difference but it catches up with you quickly as you age.

Oh and may the metalhead rest in peace.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
22.07.2009 - 18:48
FeskarN
Sad story indeed. After reading this I will be more careful with using ear-plugs at consert/festivals.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
22.07.2009 - 18:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

The pain Dietrich suffered was not "phantom pain" but real physical pain.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2009 - 18:57
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin

When people suffer from tinnitus and think they cannot take it anymore, there is an option to cut the nerve that connects the damaged ear (or ears) to the brain. But many times when that was done, the patient continued to hear the sound he heard before and the pain doesn't go away either. Only that then, you are really deaf to anything else and only hear the hissing or rining sound.
If you feel a pain that makes life unworthy of living for you I find it ok to end it on your own terms. The wife of one ex-chancellor of Germany killed herself a few years ago because she was literally allergic to sunlight (not the itchy kind but the really hurtful kind) and had to stay in dark rooms all of the time. Back then I couldn't disagree with her choice, and now I see myself in the same position again with this guy.

And my parents were mad at me when I spend 400? on professional earplugs... solid parenting
----
22.07.2009 - 19:18
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Holy_Diver on 22.07.2009 at 17:59

In my opinion it has been long time that there comes a law for the maximum decibels at a gig. In my country (Holland) there has been a non-smoking law at bars and tents. I Think the politicians are just hypocits if they forbid smoking, but still allow noise levels at gigs wich are just as dangerous as breathing smoke. Once at a gig I saw a sign at the mixing board wich said "95 decibles max". It has been known for years that your ears get permanent damage at noise levels up from 80 decibels, so if the sound engineers dont think about the public, there has to come a law for it!

True....not just metal gigs...all kinds of large events where loud music is played is not good if the sound waves are so strong you feel they hit your body physically and make your insides shake...
I heard once of a dude who stood at a music venue next to a large speaker and fell down dead...the sound wave from the speaker hit his heart out of the rhythm....
22.07.2009 - 19:35
Crème fraiche
Having someone in my immediate family commit suicide, I don't agree with his decision at all. No matter how unbearable the pain is in your life, it's not worth ending it. His story sounds terrible, and I cannot even fathom the excruciating pain he must have felt, but who knows what tomorrow may bring? It's always worth holding on.
22.07.2009 - 19:41
Shadowcross
The Summoner

yes phantom pains in the correct term...
A sad story. I guess he can't really blame Sepultura..
The heavier concerts I always wear earplugs unless i really LOVE the band which is very few..
Last time I was in Belgium a lot of people were throwing fireworks around... I guess a telling reason why they are banned in many countries includin my own.
22.07.2009 - 19:46
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Well actually Marcel is more correct as he hadn't completely lost his hearing..

my Dad has tinnitus from his days of playing in bands, and that was in the seventies.. although it isn't as extreme as this case it seems.
I often find the volume at some venues TOO loud..
It even ruins the sound.. whereas the better gigs I have been to have had a moderate mix where you can hear all the little parts of treble
I would support limiting noise to a certain dB limit, definitely!
22.07.2009 - 19:49
Asitis
Hm, makes me think though. I'll take my plugs with me to EVERYTHING after this
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
22.07.2009 - 20:10
Sad, but he shouldnt regret listening to Metal.
----
- Wrainth
22.07.2009 - 20:12
Manzo
Rest in peace brother!

everyone else: wear your fuckin ear plugs!
22.07.2009 - 20:35
Hamird
Lieutenant
Why he should be regret from switching from Hard-Rock to Heavy Metal..?
Even if he was a Electro fan he would have the same end..
22.07.2009 - 21:31
tulkas
el parcero
Wow, poor dude. I can understand his decision because not being able to bear even your own voice, that's gotta suck. Sad story.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
22.07.2009 - 21:56
Janne
Hugin
:'( RIP
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
22.07.2009 - 22:03
crusader84
This is also warning to some bands, to stop with "the louder, the better" philosophy. It's not the point to destroy people's ears, it's point to hear every instrument and voice clearly.
22.07.2009 - 22:34
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Guest on 22.07.2009 at 18:36

Fuck I bet now the media will start a new anti-metal propaganda!!

Yeah as always.fuck them:mad7:
22.07.2009 - 23:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
This makes me think once again about my choice to never wear ear plugs... but I hate those, I hate them so much!
----

Hits total: 24278 | This month: 68