Metal Storm logo
Wuthering Heights - Heathcliffe?

Poll

What statement best describes Heathcliffe?

A real selfish prick.
The people around him deserve it

Total votes: 1
30.09.2009 - 06:55
ToMegaTherion
Before I start this topic, I am working from the book, not any of the films...
SO DON"T VOTE UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THE BOOK, the movies are a pour and inaccurate adaption of the book.

Ok, my question what do you think of Heathcliffe?
Who is he? What is he? How did he get rich? Did you feel sorry for him/why? This is an open discussion about the BOOK, not any of the movies as they portrey it as a romance and IT IS NOT A ROMANCE.

Ok I am of the opinion that Heathcliffe is a Sadistic, selfish bastard who should have been hung. Despite the rascism and class degregation against him as a child he dose much, much worse to every other character involved in his childhood. I am highly suspicious of where he gets his money from in the six years he disappears, I suspect through less than legal means. I don't feel sorry for him, and I felt he should have been hung.
30.09.2009 - 21:56
Baz Anderson
Staff
Nice thread, although only having seen various television versions and not read the book - I am obviously unworthy of voting or expressing any opinion.
01.10.2009 - 04:41
ToMegaTherion
Written by Baz Anderson on 30.09.2009 at 21:56

Nice thread, although only having seen various television versions and not read the book - I am obviously unworthy of voting or expressing any opinion.

No problem, cheers. Hopefully some people have read it before it is a really good read, if very challenging
01.10.2009 - 12:44
Baz Anderson
Staff
My ex read it and apparently it removed a part of her soul forever. She said the book just seemed to emphasise how bleak life on the moors was.

Maybe I'll try and read it sometime.
02.10.2009 - 02:08
ToMegaTherion
Written by Baz Anderson on 01.10.2009 at 12:44

My ex read it and apparently it removed a part of her soul forever. She said the book just seemed to emphasise how bleak life on the moors was.

Maybe I'll try and read it sometime.

You know, such a description would not be completely farfetched if you take the novel in such a serious fashion. But it is a good read nevertheless, few people wouldn't be moved in some way by it. Some of the themes Emily Bronte draws were well and truely ahead of their time and yet she dose it with a certain level of coherance and indeed mastery. Psychology is prominent in the novel though on a subtile level, if fact there have been many people who have done a psycho-analysis on verious character in the novel in recent years. And funily enough the characters do stand up to the test of time and increased knowledge in that particular field.