My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
18.12.2009 - 13:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
Couldn't we do that long ago? When we had the older version of MS? Anyway, I don't really care.
----
18.12.2009 - 13:13
GamlaSonn
I think people has a lot to say about albums, but can't because none hasn't posted a review yet
18.12.2009 - 14:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I'm not sure. Why not post your opinion in the forum?

Or well, maybe a new section in the forum. Every album has the option to comment, all the comments are re-directed to a new Album-specific board of the forum.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.12.2009 - 17:18
GamlaSonn
Well posting in "Artist" threads are kind of chaotic and it's too ambigious, nobody seem to care. A place to only discuss one album at the time makes it much easier for the user to read and comment about a specific album (obviously). People can share how they feel about their favorite albums and share which songs they prefer. A more concentrated, intimate discussion.

Well I don't know about you others, I suppose one voice aren't enough to convince the programmer to do the dirty work.
18.12.2009 - 17:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am for this too, so it is at least 2 voices now

btw. me as an admin-programmer of one other site, i usually recall even one voice, when i find the idea useful...my only problem is time required for doing it and time given to me by my timetable...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.12.2009 - 19:00
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by GamlaSonn on 18.12.2009 at 17:18

Well posting in "Artist" threads are kind of chaotic and it's too ambigious, nobody seem to care. A place to only discuss one album at the time makes it much easier for the user to read and comment about a specific album (obviously). People can share how they feel about their favorite albums and share which songs they prefer. A more concentrated, intimate discussion.

Well I don't know about you others, I suppose one voice aren't enough to convince the programmer to do the dirty work.

It's not really about the work required (which is not that much), but rather whether it's actually needed. Albums with reviews will have several parallel discussions, which I'm not sure is a good thing. And if you really have something to say about the album, why not start the discussion by writing a review? I envision album discussions will be filled with one-line comments like "Best album ever!", "I agree" and "No, it sucks", separated by several months or years.

It's a feature I've been pondering on for a long time, but somehow it never seemed attractive enough to implement it.
18.12.2009 - 20:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
I don't think we need it, Ivan is probably right about those comments we would have otherwise. We already have them in the reviews.
----
19.12.2009 - 04:49
GamlaSonn
Yeah Ellrohir got my back

Written by Ivan on 18.12.2009 at 19:00

Written by GamlaSonn on 18.12.2009 at 17:18

It's not really about the work required (which is not that much), but rather whether it's actually needed. Albums with reviews will have several parallel discussions, which I'm not sure is a good thing. And if you really have something to say about the album, why not start the discussion by writing a review? I envision album discussions will be filled with one-line comments like "Best album ever!", "I agree" and "No, it sucks", separated by several months or years.

It's a feature I've been pondering on for a long time, but somehow it never seemed attractive enough to implement it.

The review comments are primarly supposed to be about the reviews, and not the album themselves. With seperated album and review comments the reviews will have the attention and the reviewers will have pure feedback on his work.

About starting paralell discussions, well then what if there are two reviews for one album and he/she only wants to comment the album instead of one of the reviews? A review is a different product than an album. Need I say writing an official piece of writing at more than 250 words - just to enable user comments about an album - feels a bit uneccesary?

About one liner comments, this is something inevitable I'm afraid, still there are people who has more on their mind and share more intimate feelings and thoughts when listening to the album. They might discuss individual songs, lyrics and the overall feeling. People will obviously have more to say about one album than others.

Edit:)
An idea could be to put the album rating beside the commenters nickname, so it reflects their opinion. I suppose it could bring the rating too much into the spotlight, but perhaps it could attract more commenters in some way ("look at my rating!" or "this is my rating, what is yours?" or "hey we got the same rating, cool" <- not as in what they say, but what they're thinking )?
19.12.2009 - 12:18
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I am for this idea and I agree with GamlaSonn's reasoning. The only problem I see is that people might still keep expressing their opinions about albums in the review threads (when a review in available). But we will just need to change our posting behavior a little. Anyways, I had such an idea before, and think it's great and should implemented or tried out at least.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.12.2009 - 12:46
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
I changed my mind and decided to give it a try. Rejoice and celebrate! (but don't spam too much)
19.12.2009 - 13:54
GamlaSonn
Yay! I really think it's a good idea and will take the hit if it fails.

As Ktulu said people will need some time to adjust and there's a possibility people spam one-liners when it's new. Hopefully people will start to debate more thoroughly as time goes. All though in my opinion large walls of arguments pro and for aren't necessarily better than sharing small snippets of real feelings. Well I should shut up now
19.12.2009 - 16:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Wow! this would be great, cheers

thank you, our almighty admin
----

19.12.2009 - 16:56
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Ivan on 18.12.2009 at 19:00

And now you can ponder other things to make the site even better

I think I like it... just wondering if maybe some will find the current presentation confusing ../bands/album.php?album_id=37104 and put their review comments in the wrong place...

About spamming "best album ever!", well, you can always get more mods wink
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
19.12.2009 - 17:31
Baz Anderson
Staff
Hahaha.

Although I do agree that in cases like that, it is a little confusing and comments will end up in the wrong place...
19.12.2009 - 18:22
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Well, I tried to make it less confusing by only featuring short snippets of reviews on album pages. And below each review there a number of comments for it. So hopefully people will be able to differentiate. We'll see
19.12.2009 - 18:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Experience learns me never to overestimate users if there is any chance to misinterpret something, someone will do it
----

20.12.2009 - 01:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 19.12.2009 at 18:30

if there is any chance to misinterpret something, someone will do it

Hahahahha gotta love Murphy's law sometines...

To be honest, I'm not really excited about the idea since I think it's a bit useless but that's just me though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.12.2009 - 04:53
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Just 9 albuns commented so far. And no spam so far

Lets see if we get no spams till Christmas
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
20.12.2009 - 10:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well i am trying to pull myself up so far but one day i will get mad and then you will see
----

20.12.2009 - 14:27
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 18.12.2009 at 14:40

I'm not sure. Why not post your opinion in the forum?

Or well, maybe a new section in the forum. Every album has the option to comment, all the comments are re-directed to a new Album-specific board of the forum.

I think its better to comment on just Reviews, cause if ppl could comment at albums then number of issued reviews will be down. now we have a lot of new albums and important ones but no one has written any review for them. now Imagine if ppl could write comments on albums which are without review. but you can add such thing for albums which are older than one year.

and yes forum is nice area to talk about opinions.
20.12.2009 - 19:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I have one suggestion (or maybe a point out only) - in album discussions, there is some column in the left, where user's album rating is displayed...but when the user havent rated the album (like me who is rating only those, which he physically owns), there is just weird looking blank space (first time when i saw it i thought it is some mistake in alignment, as there were only posts by two users w/o rating)...dunno how to solve it, or whether even solve it, but i wanted to tell
----

20.12.2009 - 19:27
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Not much can be done - the indentation has to be uniform. However, I disabled it for albums that have no ratings, like here: http://metalstorm.ee/bands/album.php?album_id=16864
20.12.2009 - 19:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
What about adding some "N/A" or "-" value? there would be at least something displayed for every user then...
----

20.12.2009 - 19:39
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 20.12.2009 at 19:31

What about adding some "N/A" or "-" value? there would be at least something displayed for every user then...

Unnecessary, I think. It doesn't look that bad at the moment, does it?
20.12.2009 - 21:31
Jan
Really useful addition - thumbs up!
20.12.2009 - 21:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Ivan on 20.12.2009 at 19:39

It doesn't look that bad at the moment, does it?

honestly? it does...at least from my point of view

check for example this thread and tell me, if there isnt something a bit weird...

adding at least "Rating: -" should fix it a bit...or user ratings should be dropped completely from there, i wouldnt mind it, what about others?
----

20.12.2009 - 23:18
Baz Anderson
Staff
I really don't get what you are on about. Nothing looks weird about it at all.