Metal Storm logo
Destruction vs Kreator vs Sodom

Original post

Posted by Nexus, 31.01.2010 - 19:51
Created a thread before without a poll, and only figured out how to put one now. So the messages that were posted before I deleted the old thread are at the bottom of this message

First off, how in the hell is it possible that this topic wasn't created yet? This is one metal-thread anomaly that should never be (or be repeated, in this case).

ALL RIGHT, SO

The thread title is pretty clear: Who of these three wicked German thrash bands do you prefer more? Destruction, Kreator, or Sodom? And why?

This is a hard decision ... this pretty much equates to me having to choose which one of my (non-existent) children lives, and which I must feed to the lions ... I had to mull over this for a while, and even then it was hard for me to stick o a choice once I had decided.

Destruction: Their sound throughout the years has been pretty consistent, so I have rarely been disappointed by them. The only exception to this was during the '90s, but that was the decade where the entire world seemed to be going through this awkward, angsty puberty stage, wherein the manliness in which serves as the foundation of metal was weakened slightly, before steadying itself. I'm a huge fan of vocals, as they make or break it for me when it comes to bands, and Schmier (the most prevalent vocalist in Destruction's lifespan) has awesome vox! Instrumentally, they compose and layout the groundwork of what thrash is and should be. Live, they put on a pretty decent show, although I must admit I was kind of disappointed when I saw them. Their sound was also a bit distorted, and they didn't play as proficiently as I would have hoped.

Kreator: These guys are freaking amazing. Although I find that sometimes their sound gets rather repetitive (and sometimes a bit too quickly depending on the album), they're fast, in your face (complimented by the vox), brutal and get me fucking hyped up (Pleasure to Kill, Coma of Souls, Extreme Aggression), particularly before their experimental stage that took place, coincidentally enough, also in the '90s. I do like their stuff after (Violent Revolution, Enemy of God particularly), but I don't find that they have the same ? je ne sais quoi that they had on their earlier albums. Also, the vocals don't appeal to me as much as they had on the earlier albums. There is no rampant aggression that once dictated the vocals, but rather, a diminished sense of it that only tinges Mille's vocals.

Sodom: Although I didn't like their first album, which had too many components of black metal for me, Sodom is probably my favourite out of the three. They had some albums that were a bit disappointing to me, but they above all three have remained the most consistent, aggressive and thrashy in my opinion. M-16 is just as awesome to me as Code Red and Agent Orange, despite it being one of their most recent releases. Also, Angelripper's vox are fucking wicked.

So, Sodom it is for me.

Oh, God ? that ? was so painful ? I almost wish I hadn't made this thread ? ahhh, my heart ? she bleeds?
Written by Bad English on 31.01.2010 at 15:16

Bah its hard but I say Kreator because Destruction I like only first EP(even cant remeber its name) , Sodom 80's albums yeha Aussgebombt :p, but Kreator I also prefere 80's but more I like Endorama and ''gothic'' staff how threash so .... Kreartor for me

Written by Koen Smits on 31.01.2010 at 15:18

I never was a fan of Destruction, so they're out.
I like their music, but I like their vocals less then Mille's or Angelripper's
Sodom had great releases like Agent Orange, Obsessed By Cruelty, Better Of Dead and Persecution Mania in the beginning.
From their later work I love M-16 and Sodom.
Kreator has Endless Pain, Pleasure To Kill, Terrible Certainty, Extreme agression and Coma Of Souls for starters.
A couple of bad LP's and then Violent Revolution and Enemy Of God and even Hordes Of Chaos.Imo Kreator has released just MORE good LP's then Sodom, so Kreator it is for me.

Written by Angelic Storm on 31.01.2010 at 15:59

I love all 3, but it's mainly down to Sodom and Kreator, as Destruction have been less consistent in their quality of material than the other 2. Sodom has one album which I find unlistenable: 'Obsessed By Cruelty'. Kreator's worst album 'Outcast' is a very weak album by their standards, but there's 3 or 4 songs which I enjoy on it. It is extremely close between Sodom and Kreator, I also feel Sodom's last 3 albums have been really great. Kreator's last 3 has contained one awesome album, 'Enemy Of God', a good album, 'Violent Revolution', and an average one: 'Hordes Of Chaos'. Kreator are slightly closer to my heart, as they were one of the first thrash bands I ever got into. So I'll choose Kreator by a cat's whisker over Sodom.

Destruction are a great band too, but they havent shown the consistency of Sodom or Kreator. Their 80's stuff was really patchy, though some great songs came at that time, like 'Mad Butcher', 'Curse The Gods' and 'Total Desaster'. I feel they became a lot more consistent when they made their comeback with Schmier. 'The Antichrist' and 'Metal Discharge' in particular, being amazing thrash albums.

I love all 3 bands a lot though! <3

Poll

Who kicks the most ass?

Kreator
Sodom
Destruction

Total votes: 111
21.06.2018 - 18:26
Sodom!
07.06.2019 - 10:41
JoHn Doe
Kreator by far.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.