Metal Storm logo
Aina Days Of Rising Doom

03.08.2006 - 22:41
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Well. as many of you know Aina
is the Metal Opera Produced by the legendary Sascha Paeth (ex-heaven's Gate, Luca Turilli, now producer of melodic Metal). With this guy colaborates Robert Hunecke-Rizzo (Luca Turilli), Amanda Somerville (Epica choirs) and The Man: Miro (orchestral arrangements of many bands).

The conception of the history came from Amanda Somerville, who wrote all the lyrics and put her voice on some tracks, Miro did the orchetral arrangements, Robert Hunecke-Rizzo plays every instrument except were is indicated, and Sascha plays guitar on "The Beast Within".

It cannot be a Metal Opera without characters, so here are them (you can also check it in http://www.thestoryofaina.nl ):

Sebastian Thompson: Storyteller
Damian Wilson: King Taetius
Michel Kiske: Narrator
Amanda Somerville: Maiden Voice & Oriana's conscience
Glenn Hughes: Talon
Tobias Sammet: Narrator
Thomas Rettke: Torek (Sorvahr)
Olaf Hayer: Baktûk
Cinzia Rizzo: Opera Voice
Rannveig Sif Sigurdardottir: Opera Voice
Candice Night: Oria (The Silver MAiden)
André Matos: Tyran
Sass Jordan: Oriana
Marko Hietala: Syrius
Simone Simons: Soparno Voice
Choirs
Oliver Hartmann
Herbie Langhans
Ann Shee

Guest Musicians

Olaf Reitemer: Acoustic guitars on Revelations and Serendipity
Derek Sherinian: Keyboard solo on The siege of Aina
Jens Johansson: Keyboard Solo on Revelations
T.M. Stevens: Bass on Son of Sorvahr
Axel Naschke: Organ on Son of Sorvahr
Emppu Vuorinen: Guitar solo on Rebelion
Thomas Youngblood: Guitar solo on Lalae Amêr
Erik Norlander: Keyboard Solo on Rebellion

The Disc

01. Aina Overture:

A classic overture for a power metal disc.

02. Revelations:
It start with very slow rythim, with the voice of Michael Kiske telling about the peaceful days of Aina (Wich is the land where no evil reigns) but after came the prophets (leaded by the Amazing Voice of Oliver Hartmann) changing to a more opening theme of Power Metal and a Jens Johansson solo, this guys went to the king and tell him that Horror is gonna destroy Aina, but the King Taetius (Damian Wilson) says that this land will never reign the evil, they are just a bunch of crazy people.

03.Silver Maiden:

Here appears the discording apple, Oria, the silver Maiden, with beaty and grce everybaody fell in love with her (especially Torek and Talon, both sons of Taetius) when she came to Aina. The song has no metal music, is more like a classical composition arranged by Miro and Sebastian Thompson telling the arrival of the maiden, while Michael Kiske is Singin about her beauty.

04.Flight Of Torek:

First appear Tobias Sammet singin the story about how jealous is Torek when he discovers Talon and Oria are in love, they will reign Aina, while torek scapes brokenhearted. The musica background is Speed, fast and melodic, with very good worked guitars at the beginning of the song, and in the middle there is slow drums with the voice of glenn hughes. At the end of the song (Torek scaping) Tomas Rettke sing with a lot of power.

05.Naschtok Is Born:

A very good song, witha very amazing beginning, only Tomas Rettke sing here. Torek has come to a land of hate and lost hopes, searching for peace or better yet: Vengeance. The place is called Naschtok and the people is looking for a leader, so Torek takes that place, using them for his next Attack to Aina...

06.The Beast Within

The 1st single of the album (The video is amazing). Sascha Paeth takes the guitar and plays some agressive riffs that introduce the searching of Torek for a new Power, a new force, hungry for take back his life, so he start to Reach the dark side of himself, becoming a new one: Sorvahr. Again, a good song sang by Tomas Rettke (friend of Sascha Paeth, and ex-memeber of Heaven's Gate).

07.The Siege Of Aina

The most Epic Song of all the Album, my favorite One. It start with the two Armys Choir (Aina and Naschtok) confronting, marching against each other, the attack is ready and the assault is gonna be Bloody. The first verse is singed by the commander Baktûk (Olaf Hayer) who wants to take Aina and Kill, but Torek says that he is goin for another prize, Oria. Talon fight his brother, but The love that his wife feels for him is bigger and she accpet to go with his brother, so they run again to their homes after the Victrory of Naschtok over Aina. In this song the vocals are very good worked, and the derek sherinian solo is incredible.

08.Talon's Last Hope

The only child that Talon and Oria had was Oriana, the only hope of Aina. Tyran (i think he's from a council) says to the king that Oria must be far of this land. A kind of ballad, but the string oice of Andre Matos and Glen Hughes convert this song in a masterpiece.

09.Rape Of Oria

Candice Night sing here and make me remember Blackmore's night with all the arrangements, this is the part when Sorvahr (R.I.P. Torek) rapes Oria to have a children. Very good song, i think it could be better, but is good.

10.Son Of Sorvahr

A kind of Funky Psychodelic song, almost Rock Opera like Jesuschrist, but also a good song to back to fast rythims. In this song appears the son of Sorvahr (hehe) Syrius, product of the constant rapes over Oria. The Naschtok Ruler presents his son as the next leader of his Army. With T.M. Steven at bass and Axel Naschke at the organ, this song is very good.

11.Serendipity

Another Beautiful ballad, but this one is the best, with Kiske at the vocals again, Multi talented R. Hunecke-rizzo at he backing vocals and Olaf Reitemer at Acoustic Guitars. This song talks about the people that suffered the Attack of Naschtok, trying to live their peaceful lives again, but they can't, a very very very very beautiful ballad that also talks Syrius and Oriana's love (They don't know their fathers are in fight, even they have the same Mother! remember Oriana went of Aina). A great acoustic guitar solo in the middle.

12.Lalae Amêr

It looks like Dead Can Dance appear at this song, very folk. With amazing percussion and sitar. Syrius and Oriana in love, there is no mere to say. Here sings Cinzzia Rizzo and Rannveig Sif Sigurdardottir and the solo of guitar is from Tom Youngblood of Kamelot, so is a good song.

13.Rebellion

Talon says to his daughter that the day has come to ride against the people that destroy the grace of Aina, this is my 2nd favorite song in all the album, very powerful and amazing! As you can see the guest musicians, here plays Emppu Vuorinen and Erik Norlander, While Glen Hughes and Tobias sammet takes the Vocals place making this song a relly good Call to Arms!

14.Oriana's Wrath

The battle takes place again! Syrius and Oriana are facing, but they recognizes each other at this moment, stoping their attacks! but Sorvahr appears and kill his son, this is for betray him and be in love with his halfblood sister. The Aina army takes control over the situation, Oriana in drowning anger kills Sorvahr. The song have good parts alternating the vocals of Marko and Sass, while the anger or Thomas is showed very powerful!

15.Restoration

Kiske appears to sing the restoration of Aina, and Simone simons sings at the background, some bizarre song with parts of the entire disc. End.

Well, for me Aina is a very good wok, but i don't agree with some things, like Oliver hartmann in Choirs, i think he could have a very powerful character and the story was very simple, the music is great, the art of the booklet was very poor (some draws, not all) and i think they don't explode many things (Andre Matos in only one song? Marco hirtala only in one verse?). So, i wanna know what do you think about this Opera, you like it, you dislike it, what is your favorite song, your favorite part of the story.

C'mon!
04.08.2006 - 01:12
Soliloquy
interesting story. and whats even more interesting is that until now, i never heard of the band. i'm not syaing i'm a metal god and know EVERYTHING there is to metal, but if it has links to rhapsody, kamelot, luca turilli, then this band should have been MUCH bigger or more famous.

and i did a lil research on these guys, and they say that they are the first metal band to make an opera in the history of metal. i wont really agree with that, coz trans-siberian orchestra came out with a concept/musical/operatic album about the life and death of beethoven. and that came out in 2000. that is 4 years before the release of this album

but yeah, i just watched their 'beast within' video. you say its a great video? it looks more like a fan made the video by taking clips from computer games. the song is aright. what i really like are the choirs parts. and after just one listen, i can say that i like these guys better than rhapsody/luca turilli. these guys arent getting cheesy. dont know about the rest of their album, but just by one song, aina isnt gettting annoying
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
04.08.2006 - 02:17
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
My brother! Aina is one of the most interesting operas! Well, for me the story was never been good, that's for true, but the music is incredible!

Yes! They say that this is the 1st opera in the history of metal, when many came out! Trans-siberian, Ayreon, Avantasia, Genius, Nostradamus (just ones that i know), but i think they reffer to make this to a highest level (mainstream).

Hey! I like that video! well, isn't the best, but is good...if you don't like it, well you're in your right.

Thnx for be the 1st to post here!
04.08.2006 - 03:17
MetalSpider
Its a good album, but nothing really that special. A lot of talented musicians and vocalists thats for sure. Most of the songs, imo, are pretty forgetable. The story is nice and good production quality as well.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
04.08.2006 - 09:32
Danigar
Very nice album. I kind of fell in love with metal operas since i heard Avantasia and Ayreon and well i decided to check this album up, and well i didnt like it like the ones i mentioned before, but it was still good. I has very nice guests and the music is exelent, but yeah like MetalSpider said some is pretty forgetable. I think it starts very nice and interesting but it goes down and end kind of boring. But is ok a very good album nevertheles, and the story is very nice, well to people who enjoy that kind of things. Theres is like a special edition with a guy telling the whole story, and a long instrumental song to enhance the experience. Very good work
04.08.2006 - 22:02
Constantinos
I am questioning why they are not releasing another album?
----
Somewhere in time I will find you and haunt you again, like the wind sweeps the earth
04.08.2006 - 23:10
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
@Danigar: Well, i have the limited edition and is crap, Why? Because there are only two tracks(the ones you're comment) and the others are variations, the DVD is boring, only the Beast within video is good and the documental have nothing interesting, i keep only the disc with the tracks.

@Dies_Irae: I think they are producing the second part, a friend told me that sascha paeth and his friends are making that, but only rumors. I really hope that's true, because this opera wasn't good (the story).
26.09.2006 - 11:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Firts when i hera about band I har name Aina in Norvegian TV I think it was some Viking metal band, but then i discover and saw or hear of them in internet and well i like this band, specely name, what it meanns Aina? it sounds funny and about album it great :bnager2:
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.09.2006 - 19:15
Tydirium
Account deleted
It is a cool alternative to Avantasia, the more popular band
project which is similar to Aina... I like the parts wth Jens Jo-
hansson on the keys and "Flight of Torek" because Sammet
has an unbelievable voice!
27.09.2006 - 14:05
Lupas
Maximus
Mmm. i better check this band , i see that is near to avantasia
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
27.09.2006 - 16:40
Tydirium
Account deleted
Written by Lupas on 27.09.2006 at 14:05

It's the scandinavian analog to the germen Avantasia project I would say
27.09.2006 - 23:37
IrOnRoSeS
Account deleted
I own this Cd. Its an ok album...with it's highs and lows...but i don't know...it didn't grow to much on me...i think avantasia is better
05.10.2006 - 22:45
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Well, i think avantasia is better too, this project was presentes as the 8th wonder and i really get disapinted...
26.10.2006 - 14:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lupas on 27.09.2006 at 14:05

Its more melodic and operahthic and shymphonic how Avanatasia )
If I remebe rcorect before 2 years in HP was sampels of all songs
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.10.2006 - 00:16
Dragonheart
Account deleted
Yes, Aina is more opera than metal (in parts, at least), whereas Avantasia is definitely more metal than opera. Personally, I much prefer the latter; even though there's a couple of pretty nice songs on Aina, it doesn't quite compare to Tobi's songwriting.
30.10.2006 - 16:52
Soliloquy
i saw this album in some store..not that i like the band much, but i just wanted to buy the album coz of its cool cover. it looks like a mini bible or something....but that stupid thing costs 50 bucks! so fuck that, i am not getting it!
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
30.10.2006 - 17:05
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Soliloquy on 30.10.2006 at 16:52

i saw this album in some store..not that i like the band much, but i just wanted to buy the album coz of its cool cover. it looks like a mini bible or something....but that stupid thing costs 50 bucks! so fuck that, i am not getting it!

I tried to download it but it was for nothing. It is not so popular
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
31.10.2006 - 00:08
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Avantasia is a lot better, this is fairly sub-par considering the amount of talent involved.
02.11.2006 - 02:29
Deathwyrm
I had a great time with this album.

First moment I saw it for order online, I read the list of contributing artists and filled my pants with feces at how many big names participated. It should have been a lot bigger in reputation with this kind of contribution.

So I bought the limited edition. Not for the extras really, but because I'm a collector at heart and "limited edition" will have me jumping at it.

At first, I was filled with an overwhelming "meh" opinion. Sure, it was melodic power metal... which I adore, overall. Over the course of the next few months, and the occasional listen... it's grown on me a lot.

Cheesy story? Absolutely. It's a part of power metal, and opera, equally. Just read the plot synopsis for Wagner's The Ring Cycle, for example.

Musically? Took a while to grow on me. It's not something one can fall in love with right away. If there's a second Aina story, I'd be delighted.
16.02.2007 - 21:51
Torelli
This sure sounds intresting, might be worth checking out.
12.07.2007 - 22:39
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Amazing project of Sascha Paeth, with the colaboration of Robert Rizzo, Amanda Somerville and "Miro" Rodenberger, accompanied by a high range of invited musicians.

Whit "Days Of Rising Doom", Sascha presents their project compound in a double Cd, It shows a Symphonic Metal with great arrangements. A great Metal Opera.
22.08.2008 - 17:56
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
I recently discovered this band, and they are great, Days of Rising Doom is one of greatest album I've heard lately.
22.08.2008 - 18:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
the story is very nice and some songs are good, but overall i found this project a bit weak
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.11.2008 - 22:33
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
As I said in the review of this album: A powerful album in all ways, I bought it only for curiosity and let me say that I was totally satisfied with this well done masterpiece. It is really a great work from these monsters of Power Metal, I'll be waiting for a sequel jaja. I must say that this is an underrated work, it can be compared (and actually it is compared) with great works such as Avantasia or even Ayreon, and actually stand with them. I think Aina is less mmm cheesy than Avantasia. 9/10.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"