11. When The Eagle Cries [acoustic version]

Disc II [Gettysburg 1863]
01. The Devil To Pay
02. Hold At All Costs
03. High Water Mark

Additional info
North American release date: January 13, 2004
European release date: January 12, 2004

Tracks 10 to 12 construct the suite "Gettysburg (1863)".
The American version features "Greenface" (3:02) instead of "Waterloo".

Because of the album's super-patriot theme, some tracks weren't added to versions released in certain countries. The Star-Spangled Banner was removed from the German release, and was replaced with Green Face.

Guest review by
Storchillarn
Rating:
The Glorious Burden is an album of change in so many ways. Not surprisingly the biggest change is the one of vocal duties. Matthew Barlow, frontman and vocalist since 1995 is no longer a member of Iced Earth and this album is the start of the Tim "Ripper" Owens (ex-Wintersbane, Judas Priest) era. Another big change is the one of the music itself, or rather the theme of the music. The dark, gothic touch that has characterized Iced Earth's sound and lyrics has been exchanged for a historical theme. Before listening to the album I was a bit skeptical about this but it turned out great.

Read more ››
published 16.06.2007 | Comments (14)

Found in 20 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 716 users
10.02.2010 - 17:50
Rating: 7
elekctric
I only rate this lower as I am not a fan of Ripper ....
10.02.2010 - 18:21
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I bought this CD recently and if nothing - the whole booklet is one of the best i have seen so far

+ i love Gettysburg trilogy no matter what
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.02.2010 - 19:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 10.02.2010 at 18:21

+ i love Gettysburg trilogy no matter what

The Gettysburg trilogy is imo the only reason to buy this cd. That trilogy is superb it's just a shame disc one is so pathetically crap.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2010 - 21:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I agree the rest of the album is quite weak musically...but Gettysburg is so great, that it was worth to buy for me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.07.2010 - 04:00
It's not so bad as some people say.
----
"All is worthwhile if the soul is not small" Fernando Pessoa
12.08.2010 - 23:23
Rating: 10
I love rippers vioce!!! It's perfect
25.06.2011 - 22:23
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Heh i d/led this album and had fallen in love with it... then i find out the tracks are all mixed up! ....but i dont givvashit
31.01.2012 - 11:38
Nite
I don't know why this album has such a bad press. It's very good. The highlight is the Gettysburg Trilogy of course but the others are by no means bad. Declaration Day is probably my favorite. I think the trick with any new vocalist is to try not to judge there albums by there predecessors.
01.02.2012 - 03:48
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Nite on 31.01.2012 at 11:38

I don't know why this album has such a bad press. It's very good.

Yeah...It's one of those albums....along with Megadeths So far, So good.
01.02.2012 - 11:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Nite on 31.01.2012 at 11:38
I think the trick with any new vocalist is to try not to judge there albums by there predecessors.

I do think Ripper was never given a fair chance by many who couldn't see past Matt Barlow as the Iced Earth vocalist. Ripper took a lot of flak from that section of Iced Earth's support during his time as their singer, most of it completely unjustified I felt. I think he did a great job in taking up the mantle of IE vocalist, and whilst this album isn't perfect by any means, I think it is underrated, and the material on it is mostly great. Obviously, the Gettysburg Trilogy gets the most attention on this album, and rightfully so. As it's one of the finest metal compositions of all time. However, the main body of the album contains a few great, underrated tracks that I love a lot. Although there are a couple of other songs on the album I don't find to be that great, "Hollow Man" is by far the weakest track on the album for me...
06.02.2012 - 09:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
One more opener whit new vocalist, pretty good powerfull but if we compare all 4 openers whit new vox this is weekest , because not all songs are powerfull, and besides some parts was more power not heavy musicvaly, but defenetly best how others Borlow albums after opener(yes I know its Ripper on vox here) , better how previusly IE albums
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.02.2012 - 10:14
I still like this album a lot despite the bad songs. "Declaration Day" and "Waterloo" will always be among my favorite IE tracks.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
19.09.2012 - 23:30
JÄY
Metal slave
I view this album a lot like I do Maiden's Fear of the Dark. Plenty enough good songs to make it a great release, just had too many crappy ones and that dragged it down....Well, I dont spin the CD's I own, I only listen to them digitally so I've just deleted all the songs I would normally skip. I'm left with a great album, for true
11.11.2012 - 21:23
Ralle
Great album
15.09.2013 - 03:44
Rating: 10
belphegor666
Tim Ripper is amazing...When The Eagles Cries is one of my favorite songs from this album... I give a 10 to this album...it deserves it as all the other Iced Earth albums do
15.10.2013 - 04:32
master 666
King of Arizona
Woow
20.02.2015 - 15:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by elekctric on 10.02.2010 at 17:50

I only rate this lower as I am not a fan of Ripper ....

its wrong, I am not fan of many thinks like di caprio, but I did enjoy film whit Jack Nicholson and also Blood Diamond,
even guy totally sucks because 2 stupid love films

most ppl vote for bane name bot music what is into album and its wrong
----

apos;'
[image]
11.04.2015 - 07:48
danielllewis
Looks like the consensus about this album lines up with my own opinion haha. Don't care for disc 1 but the gettysburg trilogy gets me all kinds of excited
----
04.06.2016 - 18:26
majormalfunction
Excellent heavy metal album. The ending monster track Gettysburg is probably the best stuff they've written and Ripper sings his heart out on this record. Waterloo is another favourite of mine. The only complaint I have is that the lyrics to When the Eagle Cries is pretty stupid.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
13.12.2016 - 01:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by majormalfunction on 04.06.2016 at 18:26

Excellent heavy metal album. The ending monster track Gettysburg is probably the best stuff they've written and Ripper sings his heart out on this record. Waterloo is another favourite of mine. The only complaint I have is that the lyrics to When the Eagle Cries is pretty stupid.

those lyrics was written after 9/11
----

apos;'
[image]
18.12.2016 - 21:28
majormalfunction
Written by Bad English on 13.12.2016 at 01:08

those lyrics was written after 9/11

I know that. Don't change my opinion.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
15.01.2018 - 00:27
musicalkaratekid
Whether it's to do with a change in vocalist or the fact that them album generally takes on a more symphonic and conceptual edge to the usual Iced Earth sheen, The Glorious Burden still stands out as a pretty damn solid and consistent release. Maybe Owens' vocal delivery isn't quite as powerful and closely unified with this style of heavy/power metal, but it still delivers the goods. It's a different sound to anything before even 2001's Horror Show, but only really due to the clear ambition of this album consisting of 2 cds. The first is Iced Earth doing Iced Earth effortlessly. The second is another side of the band that hadn't really opened up beforehand. I'm not complaining however, because a clearly hefty amount of focus went into both side of the album.
26.10.2019 - 12:53
Mountain King
K i K o
The first part of the Gettysburg suite is the best "The Devil To Pay" however, my favorite track on this album is by far "The Reckoning (Don't Tread On Me)". An upper 7 for me although some tracks are boring.
05.03.2020 - 03:34
mikeprado30
Can't understand why this album gets so many hate. It's really great (even when it's some cringy the nationalism of Schaffer )
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
23.05.2020 - 17:00
Rating: 6
Metren
Dreadrealm
The Gettysburg Trilogy is indeed superb. The ending lyrcs might just be my favorite closing lines on any album ever.

"I look across this blood soaked land
All this blood is on my hands
God forgive me, please forgive me
It's all my fault, the blood is on my hands"

So simple, so effective, so heartbreaking and Tim delivers those lines with such conviction that it almost makes me cry every time.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
11.01.2021 - 21:24
Rating: 5
Joppe
Steelemeister
Mostly pretty weak and boring like the previous album. I don't know how most the songs are supposed to be good; everything on disc 1 is after The Reckoning is forgettable, no better than average songs at most. Declaration Day and The Reckoning are good, there's decent songwriting and some killer riffs. Disc 2: Better than the 1st -- or less filler, at least. Hold At All Costs is probably my favorite from the whole album. The other two are good but not totally captivating.
----
My vision is augmented
11.01.2021 - 22:47
Redel
Written by Joppe on 11.01.2021 at 21:24

Mostly pretty weak and boring like the previous album. I don't know how most the songs are supposed to be good; everything on disc 1 is after The Reckoning is forgettable, no better than average songs at most. Declaration Day and The Reckoning are good, there's decent songwriting and some killer riffs. Disc 2: Better than the 1st -- or less filler, at least. Hold At All Costs is probably my favorite from the whole album. The other two are good but not totally captivating.

Largely forgetable album. Even the Gettysburg trilogy is imo mostly flat. Only the closer is alright.
Not comparable to their ingenious first three albums of course.
But, hell, I even prefer each and every song on The Dark Saga and Something Wicked to everything on this album.
This was the lowpoint of their career so far, and they didnt get out of it before Dystopia -- not that there was anything really remarkable coming but they went slightly uphill again.
12.01.2021 - 05:03
Rating: 4
Scintil
Well this is awkward
13.01.2021 - 19:44
Rating: 5
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by Redel on 11.01.2021 at 22:47

This was the lowpoint of their career so far, and they didnt get out of it before Dystopia -- not that there was anything really remarkable coming but they went slightly uphill again.

Not totally lowest for me. Sure, they were low with this, but as I see it, it was 4 low album streak and here they could pull off at least something that worked in songwriting.
----
My vision is augmented
13.01.2021 - 20:29
Redel
Written by Joppe on 13.01.2021 at 19:44

Not totally lowest for me. Sure, they were low with this, but as I see it, it was 4 low album streak and here they could pull off at least something that worked in songwriting.

Agreed, not lowest.
All albums before this one were clearly better. But the two ones following (Something wicked I and II) are slightly lower than the one at hand.

Hits total: 14814 | This month: 43