Metal Storm logo
Which media player do you use?

Original post

Posted by Ag Fox, 11.02.2010 - 16:29
Just want to see what others are using and maybe I can get some ideas...

By media player I mean for music, not videos DVDs w/e.

Currently my most used one is iTunes because of the playlist / music tagging + cover flow does look good
I also have foobar2000, because I customised it to look good with cover flow as well etc rather than using less resources. I also use it to convert music files into formats that I prefer.
However, I am sort of fed up with iTunes using up so much resources and I am looking for alternatives. My requirements of course includes good looks I've read about songbird, but hvn't got any friends using it. It's a media player with browser capabilities, iTunes playlist import, coverflow, skinnable etc. The question is does it use up lots of resources like iTunes?

Please let me know what you folks use and whether there are cool alternatives around.
17.05.2010 - 03:59
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
My foobar setup...
----
loves 小巫
20.05.2010 - 14:52
Candlemass
Defaeco
Mediamonkey...THE BEST

23.05.2010 - 23:23
Fane
Foobar. Compact, powerful, edit-as-much-as-you-want and do something many other players don't let you: develop it to satisfy your needs (=download pr0n).
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
29.05.2010 - 08:05
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
VLC Media player plays EVERYTHING!!!!! I can run a PAL file on that and you don't know how much that works with liking Dr. Who while living in the US. I've also noticed that sound source quality and loudness seems to be pretty damn good as well.

Don't get me wrong, after looking at the above stuff from the screen shots those are breath taking but VLC covers it for me well.
----
29.05.2010 - 15:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Winamp and VLC media player.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.06.2010 - 15:15
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
On my Windows desktop PC I mainly use Winamp. I like its media library features and the tool that automatically adds ID3 tags to files. I also have WMP and Media Centre (obviously because it comes with Windows), VLC for its file type support, Real Player so I can play .ra and .rm files, foobar because it can rename files based on ID3 tag info and Quicktime for those apple filetypes.

On my Linux desktop (Kubuntu) I use Amarok which isn't too bad. Although I don't have a whole heap of music on that PC.

On my netbook which also runs Linux (Mint v9) I use Rhythmbox and MPlayer. Rhythmbox is actually pretty good I've found. I like that it automatically populates the music library and it's good for organising online radio stations. I like that it pops up with the track name that's playing (even if it's an Internet radio station which is only one "track").

@Candlemass: The problem with MediaMonkey though is that it isn't free...
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
22.06.2010 - 15:36
The Turbanator
Winamp.

End of discussion.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
22.06.2010 - 21:48
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
@syver foxy. dude this footbar is awesome as hell, love the distribution of album covers.

Im still using the BigBento fullscreen on Winamp

----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
13.09.2010 - 04:51
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Winamp

wow, when i read the comments, winamp's got quite the cult-following !
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
14.09.2010 - 17:03
Gurth Bennas
Just Windows Media Player! so simple and powerful!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
14.09.2010 - 18:16
akvan
For videos i use Media Player classic and for musics just Windows Media Player
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
29.09.2010 - 09:12
Reza
Account deleted
WMP and KMP.
29.09.2010 - 09:37
Elio
Red Nightmare
WMP and foobar for the FLAC files.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.10.2010 - 02:38
JD
Account deleted
WMP 10
26.05.2011 - 12:49
bender_e
Foobar2000: I normalize volume, I play from .cue, I rearrange my media, I TAG...
26.05.2011 - 14:17
ANGEL REAPER
Media Player Classic ..... Because it does the job just fine....and it dont have a tone of shit i dont need....plus it free....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
26.05.2011 - 14:46
Bulletdodger
Foobar.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
26.05.2011 - 17:46
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Windows media player because it does it's job and I use the Last.fm scrobbler.
26.05.2011 - 18:21
Candlemass
Defaeco
MediaMonkey + DFX9 = You can't lose (not against Foobar, winamp, Itunes or Windows media player).
I have coverflow, an automatic updating library, automatic tagging, automatic information (like biograpghy) which shows up, a format convertor, great skins, recently added playlist...
Buy mediamonkey, you will thank me in a private message.
26.05.2011 - 18:33
Candlemass
Defaeco
@EmperorGonzo
Well, if that is good for you - it's good for you
I guess for someone with more wanting, will use MediaMonkey (which by the way, has also a good CD ripper).
27.05.2011 - 04:18
king_matt
ITunes. So simple and to my liking.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
28.05.2011 - 18:17
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
For years though I have also been using Winamp. Mainly for the shoutcast because I can get Death.fm on there.
15.06.2011 - 12:17
Metal_4Ever
Written by akvan on 14.09.2010 at 18:16

For videos i use Media Player classic and for musics just Windows Media Player

Also me..
16.06.2011 - 04:04
Abattoir
Staff
Mostly BS Player, also VLC Media Player sometimes, if the BS cannot play/show the specific rare formats.
22.06.2011 - 23:01
Beer Fairy
Written by Fane on 23.05.2010 at 23:23

Foobar. Compact, powerful, edit-as-much-as-you-want and do something many other players don't let you.

Same here.
22.06.2011 - 23:27
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Quote:
Which media player do you use?

... Satan. >:[
23.06.2011 - 21:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Simple ol' Itunes.. lol
25.06.2011 - 23:11
Mattybu
Itunes. Never listen to music on the computer really. My ipod is a fucking beast.
26.06.2011 - 02:00
SSM
Massacred
Audio: Windows Media Player
Video: Depends! WMP or VLC Player or KMP
10.07.2011 - 18:16
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Audio: iTunes because it makes tagging (Putting album cover and lyrics easier) and it's needed for Syncing my iPod/iPhone.