05. Circle The Wagons
06. Black Mountain Totem
07. I Am The Working Class
08. Eyes Burst At Dawn
09. Bränn Inte Slottet

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
Preface - If you like the direction that Darkthrone has taken with their last few recordings, read on. If you don't and long for the days when they trolled forests in corpse paint and clutched their fists towards the heavens (or just never "got them" to begin with), just save your time and money... skip both the album and the review.

Read more ››
published 21.04.2010 | Comments (31)

Found in 20 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 705 users
27.02.2010 - 14:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Seems it leaked
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

27.02.2010 - 14:48
Lord_Regnier
It will most likely be the same kind of crap they have done in the last years. Sad to see what this band became with time.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.02.2010 - 15:13
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
And I'm glad to see what this band became with time I'm also pleased that their last artworks are very good looking.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.02.2010 - 17:09
regallmigthy
Album art looks sick! i cant wait to listin to it
04.03.2010 - 08:02
Rating: 9
Deth
Darkthrone's new style since the Cult is Alive is awesome. This album will probably rule....
----
\m/
05.03.2010 - 01:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Ordered the cd/t-shirt bundle courtesy of Peaceville.

http://www.peaceville.com/darkthrone/circlethewagons/
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.03.2010 - 07:43
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
As always some nice crust-punk harsh riffs and great vocal work (large use of clean vocals was a relatively good surprise ), but then again the album did not completly please me.

It's seems that this ''new Darkthrone'' is just not so new anymore, they're trying too hard to keep it fresh. This time they have manage to beat the predecessor album in quality (at least to me), with some great songs like Those Treasures Will Never Befall You, Circle the wagons, Black Mountain Totem and the instrumental Bränn Inte Slottet.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.03.2010 - 06:41
Rating: 5
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm glad I decided to download this one first. Sure, they show a little creativity and most of the songs surprised me in some way, but the entire album still just bored the hell out of me. The drumming is the worst part, and I know it's always been the least important attribute to them, but the performance is just so dull, laid back, and unconvincing that the output just comes across as being lazy and uninspired. It sounds just like they did their own thing for a few months, met up, and then quickly wrote an album in the studio in a couple of days. Also, the guitar tone is far too clean and shiny to match the dirty crust/black/punk whatever style they are playing. It just doesn't match

Oh, and that ending instrumental.... wtf? Borrrrring
09.03.2010 - 13:41
Lord_Regnier
Written by Uirapuru on 08.03.2010 at 07:43

As always some nice crust-punk harsh riffs and great vocal work

How people can stand, let alone enjoy music with such balls-sucking vocals is a mystery to me. They just sound like a drunk old man yelling.
----
10.03.2010 - 19:13
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
For once I really really tried to understand the big fucking deal with this band and tried as much as possible not to be judgemental. I even let some of the really annoying bits slide....still I can not stand any of it. Im sure everyone will tell me "well if you dont like it dont listen to it" but we all know few people let that stop them from giving their opinion - so my opinion is that I still hate it and its terrible....rad album cover though.
22.03.2010 - 22:08
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
I've Herd a few songs already not so great at all Wheres the old Darkthrone
22.03.2010 - 23:12
Don Martin
le fu-
Well, I like it Sounds a bit like Manilla Road with a bad production (bad = good). The singing rules!
----
What a tackastrophe!
02.04.2010 - 04:06
Rating: 5
whitepawel
It's just so fuckin' sad to see how Darkthrone has become a joke band
05.04.2010 - 19:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I like it, some hit some miss (particularly the outro)... 7.5 from me.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.04.2010 - 22:39
Dominus
The Shooter
I like it
08.04.2010 - 11:26
Please tell this isn't the same punk-crap as F.O.A.D.? i've not heard the 08-record, but I wanna check this out asap. what kind of genre? (hope they've turned a little bit back to BM)
08.04.2010 - 13:52
Lord_Regnier
Written by gudermintjener on 08.04.2010 at 11:26

Please tell this isn't the same punk-crap as F.O.A.D.? i've not heard the 08-record, but I wanna check this out asap. what kind of genre? (hope they've turned a little bit back to BM)

It IS the same kind of punk-crap. You're warned.
----
30.07.2010 - 02:47
DemonofDarkness
Account deleted
I can't belive that this band is the same band that did timless albums like "A Blaze In The Nothern Sky" , "Under A Funeral Moon" and "Transilvanian Hunger" .....
30.07.2010 - 15:10
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 30.07.2010 at 02:47

I can't belive that this band is the same band that did timless albums like "A Blaze In The Nothern Sky" , "Under A Funeral Moon" and "Transilvanian Hunger" .....

It's hard to believe, indeed.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
18.03.2011 - 10:49
wormdrink414
Elite
Fucking excellent album.

imo, Circle the Wagons> Dark Thrones and Black Flags.
19.03.2011 - 03:14
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Great, as usual. All of these newer Darkthrone albums are far superior to the overrated Transylvanian Hunger.
19.03.2011 - 03:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.03.2011 at 03:14

Great, as usual. All of these newer Darkthrone albums are far superior to the overrated Transylvanian Hunger.

Quote:
We would like to state that Transilvanian Hunger stands beyond any criticism. If any man should attempt to criticize this LP, he should be thoroughly patronized for his obviously Jewish behavior.

But don't worry!

Quote:
Darkthrone is certainly not a Nazi band nor a political band, those of you who still might think so, you can lick Mother Mary's asshole in eternity.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.03.2011 - 04:02
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.03.2011 at 03:25

Quote:
We would like to state that Transilvanian Hunger stands beyond any criticism. If any man should attempt to criticize this LP, he should be thoroughly patronized for his obviously Jewish behavior.

But don't worry!

Quote:
Darkthrone is certainly not a Nazi band nor a political band, those of you who still might think so, you can lick Mother Mary's asshole in eternity.

You know, I once took a test to decide which South Park character I would be, and I got Kyle. If you don't watch the show, then know that he is the Jewish kid...
19.03.2011 - 16:00
RavenKing

"Transylvanian Hunger" might be a bit overrated but it's a BM classic and belongs to a far superior league than the wannabe-Motorhead bullshit you praise so much.

P.S Newer Darkthrone still sucks
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
19.03.2011 - 21:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
A surprising favourite of 2010. It's amazing what one can appreciate when one pulls one's head out of one's arse. A testament to meat-and-two veg songwriting and bravado.
22.12.2011 - 03:37
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Which one does the singing on the title track?
The music's some good punk stuff, but the vocals on a lot of the album up to the same quality as the music.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
19.11.2012 - 03:46
Mdevil93
I thought this was a great album.
16.12.2012 - 02:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Still such a great album. Worth every bit of the 9 I gave it, even after the 20 or so months since I last commented. Fingers crossed the new one sounds like this (or even better). The first track is still a bit slow though I have to say. Never cared as much for that one as I did the rest. This is still the best of the newer-era Darkthrone. Best sound and songwriting; most ballsiest and punchy, as well as the catchiest and hook laden, followed by F.O.A.D, and then Dark Thrones and The Cult fighting for third position, probably with The Cult losing that contest. It's no wonder it took me until this album to fully appreciate what Darkthrone had become.

15.01.2014 - 21:57
Rating: 7
musicalkaratekid
As far as the latter Darkthrone era is concerned (and I mean The Cult is alive onwards since that album was for me that real start of the crustpunk/metal style the band would begin to work on), this is probably my second favourite album. It's simplistic but is straight to the point too, and pulls no punches in getting riffs out here, there and everywhere. The vocals for me are still pretty bad (though I know what both Fenriz and Culto are trying to achieve by doing so) because they don't fit with the style, but instrumentally it's pretty awesome if I'm honest. Personal highlights for me would be 'Stylized corpse' and the title track.
31.03.2019 - 17:19
Sang Dalang Abu
This is very great album in my opinion.

Hits total: 14672 | This month: 46