09. The Bosphorus Freezes Over

Disc II [limited edition bonus CD]
01. Broadsword [Jethro Tull cover]
02. Supernaut [Black Sabbath cover]
+ The March Of The Varangian Guard [video] [acoustic live version]
+ Stand Up And Fight [video] [acoustic live version]
+ To Holmgard And Beyond [video] [acoustic live version]

Additional info
βένετοι! - πράσινοι! => Venetoi! - Prasinoi! => The Blues! - The Greens!

Release Dates:
Finland/Japan: February 23rd, 2011
Germany/Austria/Switzerland: February 25th, 2011
Europe/UK: February 28th, 2011
Australia/NZ: March 4th, 2011
North America: March 8th, 2011

Stand Up and Fight is available on the following formats:
- CD
- Digital Download (iTunes)
- Digibook CD + Bonus CD (Limited)
- Gatefold LP + Album on CD
- Digibook CD + T-Shirt + Poster (Limited)

Bonus tracks for Japan:
10. Battle Metal (2008 Version)
11. Rasputin
12. Supernaut (Black Sabbath cover) (03:56)
13. Broadsword (05:00)

Limited edtion bonus CD contains the following tracks:
01. Broadsword [Jethro Tull cover] (05:00)
02. Supernaut [Black Sabbath cover] (03:56)

And as video:
03. The March Of The Varangian Guard [Acoustic version]
04. Stand Up And Fight [Acoustic version]
05. To Holmgard And Beyond [Acoustic version]

Digital (iTunes) version of the album comes with a bonus track:
10. Broadsword (05:00)

A video was made for the song Stand Up And Fight.

The title for track 4 is shown in Greek, "âÝíåôïé! - ðñÜóéíïé!" which means "'Blue! - Green!".

Guest review by
PsychoticNK
Rating:
Turisas is a symphonic folk metal band from Finland that incorporates a very visual and battle oriented stage presence. Right off the bat you're probably thinking of one word, and that word is "cheese", and I can't really say that you'd be wrong when you make that accusation. They certainly are very outward with their appearance on stage as well as in their music, and people either seem to love that about a group, or absolutely despise it. A lot of it will probably depend on what you're expecting, and one look at the admittedly silly album cover will most likely give you an idea. It's the same style that they've had their whole discography, only seemingly bloated with more corny-but-catchy Viking ballads and war chants. Again, that is a good point. However, on their latest release, Turisas have managed to craft a surprisingly great symphonic metal record that succeeds in both vigor and charm.

Read more ››
published 18.06.2012 | Comments (1)

I don't really understand why some people are disappointed with this release. Sure, it's a little less aggressive than their previous albums, but I think this (with the help of a stronger focus of symphonic elements in the song writing) gives their music a more whimsical movie/classic RPG soundtrack feel. I mean, if "End Of An Empire" doesn't make you wanna fight (and die) for the glory of your homeland and ancestors, then you may as well drop your mighty battleaxe and banish yourself from the Kingdom of Metal. So sit back, relax, and let Turisas take you on little imaginary adventures with each epic track on Stand Up and Fight!

Fat & Sassy!'s picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Susan, KwonVerge, GT

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 64   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 944 users
04.03.2010 - 14:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I just noticed rumors about it on one czech metal blog...they said that Turisas is recording this new album right now
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.03.2010 - 15:36
There's a video on the band's official website where the singer (forgot his name...) talk about the new album. It's been around for quite some time now.
----
We just have one life... SO LISTEN TO METAL!!!!
10.03.2010 - 22:55
Scourge
I can't wait. last two albums were amazing
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
10.03.2010 - 23:15
Rating: 6
Warman
Erotic Stains
Could be interesting.
----
11.03.2010 - 14:15
Thorhalla
This third album will be great..i just know
----
A mighty troll warrior sharpens his sword. He prepares his armour, binds his beard and tars his face. As the sun sets, he rides a giant wolf to the crusaders fortress. He slays the wrong-believers and feasts on their blood.
05.05.2010 - 10:43
The Somberlain
I know this 3rd album is going to be the best of all i know people ...... i know !!!!!!!!!!!! yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
24.08.2010 - 05:05
warrior_of_ice
I hope they dont "sell out" for this one- Hope for a lot of drunken sing along songs lol.
31.08.2010 - 23:22
Wishmaster
Account deleted
I am so looking forward to this!
23.11.2010 - 22:34
A cover art unveiling would be nice... with some song titles. Wonder if it's a concept album this time, probably not.
27.01.2011 - 21:23
kellyohnooo
Preorder at http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Turisas_-_-Stand_Up_And_Fight-_CD_+_Shirt_+_Poster_-PRE-ORDER-/PKG000603

you get a shirt+poster with the cd!

can't wait for this cd, ive been craving new Turisas!
27.01.2011 - 21:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
because it doesn't have the name Turisas in front of it in the albums forum I thought this was on the nwobhm Quartz semi-classic album Stand Up And Fight
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.01.2011 - 10:29
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The cover-art looks kinda weird...
----

24.02.2011 - 05:25
Rating: 8
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Its not nearly as good as the previous record ... I'm somewhat dissapointed. I hope it grows on me.
25.02.2011 - 05:44
Rating: 7
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
The album cover looks like communist propaganda
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
25.02.2011 - 09:15
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
My impression from this is oscillating between "nice" and "aw, crap"
----

25.02.2011 - 09:45
Rating: 6
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Yeah. They've got the whole thing up on their myspace. Only took a brief, scattered listen...Doesn't really sound all that good.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.02.2011 - 21:22
Rating: 9
Dargor
I find it very interesting. It's different from what they did before and I find it refreshing.
The symphonic "film score" aspect is omnipresent but it's not a bad thing IMO since it's well done.
Some very nice guitar work from time to time but after the first spin, i'm not blown away. It's a nice album, no more, no less.

I'll wait before rating this album.

BTW, Fear the Fear might be the best track of this album. For me at least
26.02.2011 - 02:26
Luneth
Account deleted
Yeah it's very different to their earlier releases, still epic, just in a different way...
26.02.2011 - 07:11
Less heavy, yes - but that's not a bad thing. I've listened to this in full five or six times now and I actually think this may be their best. It's a lot more focused and seems to flow better than BM and TVW, in my opinion.
26.02.2011 - 15:38
VPeter
It's a decent album but very cheesy and the execution of the concept is pretty flawed. The album sounds like a bad 80ties musical, yet at the same time it's just as amusing. Except "fear the fear" the lyrics of that song are so bad. The orchestra is cool but you have to fuck up hard to screw up orchestras. All in all a decent album but at the same time flawed.
26.02.2011 - 20:27
Justicelust
I only listened to one song "The Great Escape" which has been put online and I can say that 8.2 is not enough just for that song, I'm sure that the other songs are as good as The Great Escape so this album is underrated.
26.02.2011 - 20:39
RavenKing
Written by Justicelust on 26.02.2011 at 20:27

I only listened to one song "The Great Escape" which has been put online and I can say that 8.2 is not enough just for that song, I'm sure that the other songs are as good as The Great Escape so this album is underrated.

How the fuck can you say it's underrated, when you heard only one song?

I know fanboys have a history of unbelievable retardation but this probably takes the cake.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.02.2011 - 22:44
Justicelust
Written by RavenKing on 26.02.2011 at 20:39

I know fanboys have a history of unbelievable retardation but this probably takes the cake.

I know, I maybe exaggerated but yes only that song worth 9

I said that because Turisas is a band that never disappoints.
27.02.2011 - 14:59
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
Could be the soundtrack of an epic viking movie. still heavy, symphonic, epic and fully folkish
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
28.02.2011 - 10:55
Rating: 10
Gurth Bennas
Yesssssssssssss! great album!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
28.02.2011 - 17:56
Justicelust
Written by Justicelust on 26.02.2011 at 22:44

Written by RavenKing on 26.02.2011 at 20:39

I know, I maybe exaggerated but yes only that song worth 9

I said that because Turisas is a band that never disappoints.

After listening to all the songs, I admit I was wrong, it is not underrated, I think 8 is fair.
But I say it again that the song "The Great Escape" is great, it is the most beautiful song I have ever heared in my life, I was sedused by that song.
01.03.2011 - 09:52
JosipS
I think this is a more fun album than the others, alot cheesier but in a good way. its kinda like viking party metal.
01.03.2011 - 16:54
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I think that this album lacks heaviness. Some songs are terrific like Venetoi Prasinoi and The Great Escape, but they're so full of orquestrations and fanfarre that sometimes it feels like i'm listening to the viking version of Nightwish and Rhapsody.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good album. But no doubtely it would be far better with more focus on the guitars. Some songs are immersed in orquestrations that you must make an actual effort to hear the guitars, and by the way, the vocals. The vocals often lack power like in the title-track.
The greatest triumph in this album are the choruses. Catchy and glorious Manowar-like choruses that forces me to sing them everytime i put the album on.
It's a fair 7 for me.

P.s. - Oh and i love the front cover!
03.03.2011 - 17:46
Rating: 7
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
The piano in "End of an Empire" is fucking annoying...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
06.03.2011 - 16:22
Vikingr
It makes me feel like jumping in my viking ship and go pillage and burn some shit ! Very nice album

Hits total: 23091 | This month: 37