Metal Storm logo
Vektor

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 25.05.2010 - 21:49
Vektor represent something fresh in Thrash Metal. The band hails from from Tempe, Arizona. They play a crazy type of thrash, mixing in a bit of black and prog. Lyrical theme is sci-fi. They have released their second album in 2009 entitled Black Future, and it kicks some major ass. What you get is riffs, riffs, riffs, acoustic melodies, ambiance, diversity in solos and totally insane vocals. I have high hopes for them. What do you all think?
08.11.2010 - 11:12
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 07.11.2010 at 23:40

Written by Deadmeat on 07.11.2010 at 23:24

Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 07.11.2010 at 22:38

I've only listened to Black Future honestly, but I think it's one of the best thrash albums of the past decade. And you gotta love the vocals, so fucking thrashy and old school.
I'll be sure to check out their first album.

the first album is more difficult to get into cause it doesnt have the excellent production of black future. it has magnificent songs though (tetrastructural minds will surely amaze you) and it is just a bit more melody-based. but the music is equally perfect with black future imo.

now a question, not only to you but to many people here: Why Disanto's vocals are old school? Thrashy yes. But why old school. the fact that many vocalists prefer the screaming vocals doesnt mean that "squeaking" vocals are old school right? they are a style of singing i think it can never become old school. just an opinion.

yeah, I don't know why one would call this type of vocals "old school" either but I also don't follow your argument. Why can't this type singing become old school?

a death or thrash metal vocalist for example can do 2 things. 1. he can do vocals that are closer to the sound of the band and fit well to it. and 2. he can do the "best possible vocals according to his voice". so if someone prefers to squeak or to sing like halford for example why should he be "old school"?? vocals imo are not like music they cannot be old school. i am talking about metal. surely there can be a period when because of 2-3 great vocalists (who do a great type of growls) many others will try to overwrite them. but if this stops for a while and someone does this vocals again then he does the "old school" now vocals???
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.11.2010 - 17:29
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Deadmeat on 08.11.2010 at 11:12

a death or thrash metal vocalist for example can do 2 things. 1. he can do vocals that are closer to the sound of the band and fit well to it. and 2. he can do the "best possible vocals according to his voice". so if someone prefers to squeak or to sing like halford for example why should he be "old school"?? vocals imo are not like music they cannot be old school. i am talking about metal. surely there can be a period when because of 2-3 great vocalists (who do a great type of growls) many others will try to overwrite them. but if this stops for a while and someone does this vocals again then he does the "old school" now vocals???

Well, it's hard to say what kind of vocals "fit to the sound of the band." For instance you can have Arch Enemy-type music will some sort of aggressive but clean singing or I don't know, Akerfeld sometimes sings clean over quite heavy parts or you can sing a bunch of kinds of vocals over thrash music and I think they would all classify as fitting or old school (more punky, more growly or more grunty).

Also how come Halford's rendition is not old school for heavy metal? I think it is rather "traditional" if those two are interchangeable.

As far as Disanto's voice, his voice is quite unique and definitely doesn't associate with nothing old school (besides Black Metal maybe on a few songs).
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.11.2010 - 22:19
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 08.11.2010 at 17:29

Written by Deadmeat on 08.11.2010 at 11:12

Well, it's hard to say what kind of vocals "fit to the sound of the band." For instance you can have Arch Enemy-type music will some sort of aggressive but clean singing or I don't know, Akerfeld sometimes sings clean over quite heavy parts or you can sing a bunch of kinds of vocals over thrash music and I think they would all classify as fitting or old school (more punky, more growly or more grunty).

Also how come Halford's rendition is not old school for heavy metal? I think it is rather "traditional" if those two are interchangeable.

As far as Disanto's voice, his voice is quite unique and definitely doesn't associate with nothing old school (besides Black Metal maybe on a few songs).

generally even "old school death metal" for example isn't that old school in the music played but mostly in the way the music is played. production mostly. so why should the vocals be called "old school". generally let's concentrate now on listening to black future and expecting the next album which i hope to be even more killer!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.11.2010 - 22:24
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Deadmeat on 08.11.2010 at 22:19

generally even "old school death metal" for example isn't that old school in the music played but mostly in the way the music is played. production mostly. so why should the vocals be called "old school". generally let's concentrate now on listening to black future and expecting the next album which i hope to be even more killer!

Even though I am no DM expert, I have to disagree. The music played by Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary and maybe Possessed is so much different from modern DM, and production is just a part of the difference. But yeah.. we can concentrate on listening to Black Future although I have listened to it too much, so it should wait.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

08.11.2010 - 22:53
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 08.11.2010 at 22:24

Written by Deadmeat on 08.11.2010 at 22:19

Even though I am no DM expert, I have to disagree. The music played by Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary and maybe Possessed is so much different from modern DM, and production is just a part of the difference. But yeah.. we can concentrate on listening to Black Future although I have listened to it too much, so it should wait.

yeah the music from death and obituary (more than morbid angel imo) has a special element: it is dark. it is "rotten". but i dont think that when a band plays a darker, heavier and slower riff for example they should be called "old school". maybe i am the wrong on this "argument" as i dont believe that we should have "old school" and "modern" death and thrash metal...
----
28.11.2010 - 21:56
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I've finally completed the listenings of this marvelous album and i wish i never reached this moment.

BLACK FUTURE IS AMAZING. i love all the first 7 songs almost the same. the last 2 could be sorter cause they are a bit boring but this doesnt matter this is an amazing album.

2 things for the previous posts now that i completed the listenings of the album.

1. i firmly believe that ALMOST every riff is THERE cause it is WRITTEN to be there and NOT randomized. there is emotion in the songs, there is angriness. they are written perfectly.

2. IMO (and i play drumms-not that i am Pete Sandoval of course) the drumming on the album is Very good. not decent but good. this style of drumming fits perfectly to the music imo... there just a few moments when i would like the drumms a bit different and these are mainly the acoustic intros/outros/etc and the drumming in the solo of destroying the cosmos.

thank u dave disanto and boys, PLEASE keep on....
----
20.06.2011 - 18:26
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
"There's going to be some crazy solo action on the upcoming album"!!!! cant fucking wait!!!!
----
09.07.2011 - 16:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
New Vektor song performed live:

----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.08.2011 - 13:17
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
The new album will be called "Outer Isolation" and is set for a release on november, 15.
----
02.08.2011 - 13:32
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Deadmeat on 02.08.2011 at 13:17

The new album will be called "Outer Isolation" and is set for a release on november, 15.

man, still a long wait! great news though!
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.08.2011 - 13:35
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 02.08.2011 at 13:32

Written by Deadmeat on 02.08.2011 at 13:17

man, still a long wait! great news though!

according to the band the lack of funds makes them record the album slower than they wanted..
----
02.08.2011 - 14:08
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Deadmeat on 28.11.2010 at 21:56

I've finally completed the listenings of this marvelous album and i wish i never reached this moment.

BLACK FUTURE IS AMAZING. i love all the first 7 songs almost the same. the last 2 could be sorter cause they are a bit boring but this doesnt matter this is an amazing album.

I'd reverse that 2 very good songs, the rest decent, but messy

1. i firmly believe that ALMOST every riff is THERE cause it is WRITTEN to be there and NOT randomized. there is emotion in the songs, there is angriness. they are written perfectly.

Of course they are written not ad libbed. Problem is, they are messily put together, as if someone drunk played with Pro Tools. Songs lack order and discipline.
02.08.2011 - 15:05
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Daniell on 02.08.2011 at 14:08

I'd reverse that 2 very good songs, the rest decent, but messy

Of course they are written not ad libbed. Problem is, they are messily put together, as if someone drunk played with Pro Tools. Songs lack order and discipline.

what do you mean by "discipline"? music is something that provides "free thinking" and shouldnt be closed in walls. (on the other it is obvious that we disagree).
----
02.08.2011 - 16:37
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Discipline as in, no matter what, every song needs to have a structure that makes it a song. Cramming too many things into one song can result in a mess, which is exactly what most Vector songs are.
02.08.2011 - 19:17
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Ok it's your opinion. what you call "mess" many people call it "beauty"...
----
02.08.2011 - 20:02
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
There's beauty in mess, no doubt. Depends who's looking. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as said by a well known writer
05.08.2011 - 07:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Daniell on 02.08.2011 at 20:02

There's beauty in mess, no doubt. Depends who's looking. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as said by a well known writer

Anyways I think Vektor is an awesome Thrash Metal band. What they play is mostly *beauty* for me rather than a *mess* and actually there is a structure behind it. but yeah opinions are opinions, you got the right to dislike a band after all. Though I believe discipline is useless I agree with Deadmeat that music shouldn't be closed behind any walls. There is no rule in music... the only limit is how far your imagination and creativity can go.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.08.2011 - 09:33
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guib on 05.08.2011 at 07:15

There is no rule in music... the only limit is how far your imagination and creativity can go.

Music has strict rules. Ever heard of intervals, keys, scales, tuning? Every musician has to follow these rules, unless they want to create unlistenable noise.

You got me wrong by the way. I like Vektor, I really do. I like them in spite of the mess they make out of their songs.

Also, there are plenty of bands that make unlistenable songs because they don't have discipline in their creation process. The best example is "Obscura" by Gorguts - no discipline, just a chaotic sequence of riffs and drum fills. Total fucking mess. The album sucks major balls too, but that's another story.
05.08.2011 - 11:11
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Daniell on 05.08.2011 at 09:33

Written by Guib on 05.08.2011 at 07:15

There is no rule in music... the only limit is how far your imagination and creativity can go.

Music has strict rules. Ever heard of intervals, keys, scales, tuning? Every musician has to follow these rules, unless they want to create unlistenable noise.

You got me wrong by the way. I like Vektor, I really do. I like them in spite of the mess they make out of their songs.

Also, there are plenty of bands that make unlistenable songs because they don't have discipline in their creation process. The best example is "Obscura" by Gorguts - no discipline, just a chaotic sequence of riffs and drum fills. Total fucking mess. The album sucks major balls too, but that's another story.

so how do some people actually consider that a classic? I don't get that album, but some dig it a lot, so I don't know.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

05.08.2011 - 12:50
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I don't know how. What I say is my opinion. what they say is theirs. Both opinions can peacefully co-exist in the same universe without causing a nuclear explosion
05.08.2011 - 20:46
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Daniell on 05.08.2011 at 12:50

I don't know how. What I say is my opinion. what they say is theirs. Both opinions can peacefully co-exist in the same universe without causing a nuclear explosion

In fact I like Obscura.. and then again like I said I don't believe theres any rules sorry thats your opinion
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.08.2011 - 20:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Music has rules and so does metal. It's fact. If you start ignoring the rules then you get either a different form of music or extremely poor attempts at metal. Give up on structure then you have noise but then even the noise genre has certain rules. Impressive new music is about bending rules or coming up with new rules altogether, not ignoring them.
15.09.2011 - 12:16
zero
Great Thrash band. Good enery and great madness
26.09.2011 - 23:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
A new interview with David Disanto: http://reviewfix.com/2011/09/review-fix-exclusive-interview-with-vektor-frontman-david-disanto/. Talks about the new album. It turns out they re-recorded three older songs from Demolition for this record, kind of like they did with Oblivion and Destroying the Cosmos. I think that is a great idea, but would have as bonus tracks rather than part of the album, but let's see. Vektor should not disappoint.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.09.2011 - 16:07
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
The new album is going to have 5 new songs and three more rerecorded: Fast paced society, venus project and tetrastructural minds. i'd like some more but i am sure we wont be disappointed!
----
06.10.2011 - 10:06
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
So what does everybody think of the two new songs? http://heavyartillery.bandcamp.com/album/outer-isolation. Not as good as anything from Black Future if you ask me; not bad but not good either. Trying not to have my faith shaken though.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.10.2011 - 01:50
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 06.10.2011 at 10:06

So what does everybody think of the two new songs? http://heavyartillery.bandcamp.com/album/outer-isolation. Not as good as anything from Black Future if you ask me; not bad but not good either. Trying not to have my faith shaken though.

i totally agree. i like a lot DCDC but didnt like that much dying world from the first time i listened to it. i am trying not to listen to the songs to be honest cause i think that they may sound much better as a part in the hole album. thats what i hope basically...
----
07.10.2011 - 09:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Deadmeat on 07.10.2011 at 01:50

i totally agree. i like a lot DCDC but didnt like that much dying world from the first time i listened to it. i am trying not to listen to the songs to be honest cause i think that they may sound much better as a part in the hole album. thats what i hope basically...

Yeah, that might be a good idea. Are you gonna pre-order the CD?

Then again, it is all a matter of perception and first listens. I remember listening to Black Future for first time when it was being streamed for free Heavy Artillery or somewhere else and not understanding what the heck was going on at all with that band.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.10.2011 - 10:26
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 07.10.2011 at 09:30

Written by Deadmeat on 07.10.2011 at 01:50

Yeah, that might be a good idea. Are you gonna pre-order the CD?

Then again, it is all a matter of perception and first listens. I remember listening to Black Future for first time when it was being streamed for free Heavy Artillery or somewhere else and not understanding what the heck was going on at all with that band.

yeah i didnt understand it too! thats why i am going to give this as many chances it needs. i hope that we will like it much more after a while.... otherways it will be one of the biggest disappointments for me...

of course i am gonna buy it!
----
20.11.2011 - 02:53
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Http://www.heavyartillery.us/HA55026/

you can listen to the new album here!
----