06. To The Dead
07. The Land Of The Dead

Release dates:
February 21: UK
February 23: Finland
February 25: Germany, Switzerland, Austria
February 28: Rest of Europe

Ville Sorvali - lead & backing vocals, bass, fretless bass
Henri Sorvali - lead & rhythm guitars, keyboards, 6-stringed acoustic guitar, mandolin, bouzouki, accordion, mouth harp, recorder, backing vocals
Marko Tarvonen - drums, percussions, 12-stringed acoustic guitar, backing vocals
Mitja Harvilahti - lead & rhythm guitars, slide guitar, saw, autoharp, backing vocals
Markus Eurén - keyboards, backing vocals

The Valhalla Choral Ensemble:
Markus Eurén, Mitja Harvilahti, Janne Perttilä, Henri Sorvali, Ville Sorvali, Marko Tarvonen, Jakke Viitala & Olli Vänskä

Marching Band Of The Post-Apocalyptic Army:
Mitja Harvilahti, Teemu Suominen, Ville Sorvali & Marko Tarvonen

Additional Backing Vocals:
Riku Katainen, Mathias Lillmåns, Jules Näveri, Knut Sorvali & Jukka Varmo

Violin played by Olli Vänskä

Music by Henri Sorvali, except #7 by Henri Sorvali, Marko Tarvonen & Ville Sorvali
Lyrics by Ville Sorvali, except #5 by Ville Sorvali & Marko Tarvonen
Translations by Kasper Mårtenson
Recorded at Finnvox Studios / Sonic Pump Studios & on Jive Mobile by Jukka Varmo
Mixed at Tico Tico Studio by Henri Sorvali & Ahti "Kaffemeister" Kortelainen
Mastered at Finnvox Studios by Mika Jussila
Lead vocals produced by Jules Näveri
Photography by Juha Helminen, layout by Mikko Virtanen

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The wait is finally over. Finland's premier band Moonsorrow released their latest album in early 2011. And like a ton of bricks hitting you in the gut, the sharply-named Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa is most likely going to take your breath away. In line with its precursors, this album features epic compositions of pure Viking Folk Metal. Where the album differs is mostly in the mood. This time around the atmosphere is darker, more insidiously poignant, and overall heavier - as in more oppressive - than it has ever been. The gloomier tone of the album doesn't strip away much of the trademark Moonsorrow spirit though. In doing so, it remains true to the core while still offering something previously uncharted by the band; namely a nice little trip to the blackened death territories.

Read more ››
published 25.03.2011 | Comments (32)

Guest review by
Svneatr
Rating:
This album is dense. Really dense. So dense, in fact, you could cut the sound waves with a knife. Or a Viking axe, whatever you'd prefer.

Read more ››
published 27.09.2012 | Comments (2)

Found in 67 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 91   Visited by: 1865 users
06.05.2011 - 03:42
moe5512
Written by MétalNoir on 31.03.2011 at 17:28

What I hate with this band is that they can't seem to write normal-length songs... They play long tracks with some highlight moments within, so that on the whole, you can't rate the songs as average, even though 50% of them have been boring to death. For example, Tähdetön takes more than 5 minutes before staring to be interesting. In the end, I rate the album 8-9 but in fact long parts are very uninteresting.

I agree, moonsorrow songs are mostly boring execpt some parts that are just orgasmic
07.05.2011 - 21:35
One question, Can I already get this album in Mexico??? Ther is a release date for America?
10.05.2011 - 10:13
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Alright, so the parts of this album that are actually songs are fucking sick. But, i cannot, for the life of me sit down and listen to 11-16 minute songs anymore. I believe i a topic was posed in some forum where it asked if multiple 3-5 min. songs were favored over "epic" 11-16 minute long songs. I can now firmly say that i would take the shorter (I believe the comparison was to old Ensiferum and Moonsorrow), Ensiferum route. My opinion does not discount the quality of this album, don't get me wrong.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.05.2011 - 01:15
Rating: 9
Fallen
Written by LeChron James on 10.05.2011 at 10:13

Alright, so the parts of this album that are actually songs are fucking sick. But, i cannot, for the life of me sit down and listen to 11-16 minute songs anymore. I believe i a topic was posed in some forum where it asked if multiple 3-5 min. songs were favored over "epic" 11-16 minute long songs. I can now firmly say that i would take the shorter (I believe the comparison was to old Ensiferum and Moonsorrow), Ensiferum route. My opinion does not discount the quality of this album, don't get me wrong.

After a while one tends to not even care about the time unless of course your talking about "Rundgang Um Die Transzendentale Saule Der Singularitat" - Burzum which is some 26 minutes long. That sir is were I draw the line. I have no real problem with 11-16 minute songs but it all comes down to opinion; some song lengths are not for everyone.
31.05.2011 - 12:45
Zap
I like long songs, but this album just has so many boring moments in it that the real epic moments aren't that epic anymore.

EDIT: But Huuto is the bombdizzle
03.06.2011 - 15:07
Rating: 5
BehzadSh
Was not so interesting....!
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
11.06.2011 - 19:42
Megi
Long songs? NONSENSE.
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II.......43 minute song.
Anyway, this album is intense. I love how they incorporate ambiance and noise into the music, and then come in with an uplifting yet unique folk melody. The contrast that works just so well. Definitely a great album by Moonsorrow, but lets see how they pull these songs off live.
24.06.2011 - 10:34
Rating: 8
JÄY
Metal slave
When you start getting into these really long tracks youve got to start thinking of them not as "songs" put peices of music. Crimson II is not one song...its many songs on one track.
11.07.2011 - 20:11
Night Sight
I think moonsorrow is very boring band
i found no interesting moments in this release
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
14.07.2011 - 04:31
Metal_4Ever
Written by Night Sight on 11.07.2011 at 20:11

I think moonsorrow is very boring band
i found no interesting moments in this release

Folk Metal in general isn't interesting or epic, I feel so strange for who listen to that genre
07.08.2011 - 20:17
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Gotta love it, 4 songs 50 minutes plus...
----
rekt
17.08.2011 - 15:27
Rating: 10
Prometheus
Really perfect album but they should put more songs in their albums
16.09.2011 - 21:45
kaspair
Huuto is definitely their best song (close to Sankaritarina, though) ever.
----
Last FM
27.09.2011 - 00:43
Death
Very interesting that not many people favored the album.

It's actually as good as Moonsorrow's previous work.
08.11.2011 - 16:19
Vikingr
Excellent album, I really dug it
26.11.2011 - 03:16
scaesura
Best Moonsorrow album, IMO. Well, along with Havitetty and Verisakeet.
02.01.2012 - 12:55
Sojgenske
This is the best thing I've heard in this lame 2011 year.
16.02.2012 - 21:01
Pandore
Not their best album, but it's still excellent. At first I was really disappointed (maybe I was expecting too much) even after several listenings, but after listening to it some months later, I love it. I took me 15+ listenings, but I now consider it to be the best release of 2011. And Huuto is one of their best songs.
13.05.2012 - 21:59
MyNameJeff
Huuto what a great song
28.03.2013 - 05:02
Written by MyNameJeff on 13.05.2012 at 21:59

Huuto what a great song

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
11.08.2013 - 01:48
SUHAYL
I WASNT REALLY HAPPY WITH THIS ALBUM,VOIMASTA JA KUNIASTA IS STILL THE BEST ALBUM
25.08.2013 - 18:27
Vombatus
Potorro
Well, the terms viking/folk/pagan are very loosely used when describing these kind of bands...
12.05.2014 - 22:10
Rating: 5
Dr. Strawberry
A very weird album.
Sounds like a soundtrack album, the folk rhythm is so "futuristic/ digitalised".
I can feel thousands of aliens landed at a small village and started killing the villagers...

Moonsorrow has gone down hill...
10.09.2014 - 00:08
Fredd
Account deleted
For some strange reason I haven't appreciated this album until very recently. intense.
30.07.2015 - 01:45
musclassia
Staff
Gave it a blast whilst driving the other day - my opinions on it haven't shifted since I first got it; three mostly pointless but mercifully short and mildly suitable interludes separate two very long and pretty good songs from an absolutely storming track and a very satisfying closer. Huuto can play that same motif however many times it wants, it's frigging majestic
30.07.2015 - 02:09
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Btw it's 2015 already and they still haven't put up new stuff. Which is funny, the otehr albums used to come within 3 years of waiting at most...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
31.07.2015 - 02:42
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Karlabos on 30.07.2015 at 02:09

Btw it's 2015 already and they still haven't put up new stuff. Which is funny, the otehr albums used to come within 3 years of waiting at most...

They actually came into a some kind of dead end and started everything from scratch in the process. The upcoming album now has taken it's form in 5 songs and they'll enter the studio in a couple of months.
17.12.2016 - 03:10
Spacerunner
Huuto... no, it's not a song. It's a vague memory. A mild touch of something you once knew and then forgotten. First snowfall through the window of the parent's home. First own steps into the big world. First wins and first losses. First love and first grief. It's all there. What a masterpiece.
07.06.2019 - 14:26
nonZero
8.5/10 slightly leaning towards an 8.

My least favourite Moonsorrow album, but still an outstanding release (which speaks volumes about how extraordinary this band is!).
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
12.12.2019 - 19:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nonZero on 07.06.2019 at 14:26

8.5/10 slightly leaning towards an 8.

My least favourite Moonsorrow album, but still an outstanding release (which speaks volumes about how extraordinary this band is!).

I have to agree, they ok are not so black as they were in beggining, they are still pagan and each albums are more abit prog, but not such extreme was as Enslaved.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 41343 | This month: 59