Metal Storm logo
Triggers

25.07.2010 - 13:42
Don Martin
le fu-
What do the MS'ers think about drum triggers? For those who don't know what they are: it's some sort of device that makes every (bass) drum beat sound very clear (wow, bad explanation). This is often referred to as cheating and Pete Sandoval of Morbid Angel uses them.

Do you think it's cheating? Personally I don't give a flying fuck about whether it's cheating or not, if it sounds good, it is good. This applies to Pete Sandoval, he plays like a god!
----
What a tackastrophe!
25.07.2010 - 23:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I find that it modifies the sound (like when a singer uses auto tune to make their voice sound perfect) which i think is cheating becasue the drummer is not actually drumming (that well any way)
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.07.2010 - 00:31
nialldoran
Triggers are devices that can be attached to the drums and for every hit it picks up it will put a midi message to where ever you are recording (it can go to a drum machine when playing live) leaving the producer free to replace the drums with better sounding samples at a later time, the samples are usually taken from the same drum kit before the recording begins so it is the drummers kit, but this just makes it easier and cheaper to fix mistakes, its not cheating its generally how most drums are done in modern metal these days, or as a safety net if something goes wrong,
27.07.2010 - 04:27
Got Mayhem?
It isn't cheating, the sounds you hear are actual kicks made by the drummer. However, having an over triggered sound can ruin a song, or even an entire album. Now, if you're a drummer playing over 200 BPM with insane double bass assaults you're going to need some sort of trigger system in place. Otherwise your kicks are just going to sound like a big mud puddle. If a mud puddle had a sound of course.
----
29.07.2010 - 04:21
Weaponz248
As stated by others triggers have their place. I recently read that Vinnie Paul of Hell Yeah. Uses triggers for live performances because he feels it makes it sound better but for recording he dosent use triggers. So as with all drumming if the drummer likes the sound than go for it. If you feel it makes your sound better use them. Its up to you to make it sound good. As for Boxcar its not cheating and its definatly not a way to make up for poor drumming. Its a tool to assit just like guitars and pedals bud. It adds to the sound
20.01.2011 - 14:58
akvan
Hi guys....
I love drum and drumming and i have a good genius in it , but i can't buy a drum because it's sound is loud and Troubles our neighbors , what can i do?
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
22.01.2011 - 11:54
Archetype
Written by akvan on 20.01.2011 at 14:58

Hi guys....
I love drum and drumming and i have a good genius in it , but i can't buy a drum because it's sound is loud and Troubles our neighbors , what can i do?

Electric kit?
22.01.2011 - 14:22
akvan
Written by Archetype on 22.01.2011 at 11:54

Hi guys....

Electric kit?

I've heard sound of electric kit is not good , is it true ?
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
23.01.2011 - 16:11
Archetype
Written by akvan on 22.01.2011 at 14:22

Hi guys....

Electric kit?

That would depend. You could run it through sampling software like Superior Drummer or EZDrummer etc. and output that to your headphones so you hear the actual drum sample every time you strike the kit.

Some sound samples: http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=51
23.01.2011 - 16:38
Sunioj
Written by akvan on 22.01.2011 at 14:22

Hi guys....

Electric kit?

It also depends on the brand.. I've known lots of drummers that prefer electric kits in their homes. You never know until you sit down and try it out...
24.01.2011 - 18:55
akvan
And another thing , i can play drum good and a little fast but i love melodic instruments to create music but i can't play guitar , what's your idea
----
10.06.2012 - 15:39
I don't use triggers even when playing at over 200 bpm, I have practised a lot and can play clean enough.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
19.06.2012 - 15:59
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Triggers aren't really cheating, though they help drummers who can't play hard at faster bmps. A lot of drummers who play really fast use it so that even though each hit of theirs isn't hard, the trigger still picks it up. I think a trigger also amplifies mistakes, so it can be bad if the drummer is not consistent.

A trigger basically triggers a hit for every hit the drummer makes, this can be on the kick or any other part of the kit. So you take each hit and run it through a module or a software which converts the hit into a sample from an actual kit or anything else. I'm sure a lot of electro bands use this when they use live drums to trigger samples, so each snare hit would sound totally different instead of a snare.

My band triggers the kick drum, not because our drummer can't hit hard at faster bmp's but coz of sound issues.
Firstly getting good live sound here is quite hard, most freelance sound engineers aren't that experienced enough to mix the kit. With a trigger its much easier to get the tone you want without too much EQing. Since we don't have a fixed sound engineer this makes it much easier for us and saves a lot of time with sound checks.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
20.06.2012 - 04:57
Necrox
Playing clean is not easier with triggers; since every hit is clearly heard, every mistake is clearly heard. That eliminates "tapping" the bass drum.
04.07.2012 - 12:27
sallyjay
Triggers aren't cheating at all. If anything, I would love for anyone who thinks so to get on a drum kit with triggers in place and play as fast as they can AND be precise at the same time to tell me that it's cheating then. A trigger isn't some sort of device that plays the drums for you, and it's only considered cheating(to me) when drummers use them to quantize/fix their sloppy playing in the studio(just like auto tune for vocalists). Triggers are basically what an Electronic drum kit has on the pads, only you attach that device to one of your drums to trigger a sound. Usually a Kick Drum sample, which really helps cut through the mix and get that kick drum noticed when playing faster speeds. Almost every single extreme metal drummer out there use triggers for this reason alone. The techniques used to fire the triggers may be considered cheating to some. I know Kolias considers tapping the head cheating, but that's really up to you to decide. Whatever technique you use, you are getting a sound out by actually moving your foot and playing the drum, so I can't really say that it's "cheating".