Metal Storm logo
Battalions Of Fear or Follow The Blind

07.10.2010 - 18:12
Vikcen
Metálico
Well, long time ago that i don't hear these two albums, and i have decided to make a blind purchase. But I need some suggestions =), what album would you buy of these two records, and why. At the same time this thread can also be used to debate between both records .
07.10.2010 - 18:16
Edmund Fogg
Battalions of Fear

Because it's more raw and more energetic.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
07.10.2010 - 18:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You should also add a poll into the topic...

anyway i would prefer Follow The Blind because of nicer cover art and majestic songs "Banished From Sanctuary" and "Valhalla"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.10.2010 - 18:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Follow The Blind is the one I like best. xD

It has the raw energy of the debut, but the songwriting is just a lot better. The songs are way more memorable. Though "Majesty" from "Battallions Of Fear" is one of my fave Blind Guardian songs.
07.10.2010 - 18:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How can you do it, man its 2 awesome albums both are defenetly best of BG so both are equal, I cant choose because I love both and always listen them both in same day
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.10.2010 - 19:57
Sword_Chant
Both albums have good elements, but i'd say Battalions of Fear is the one you want to hear first. For these reasons: It's where it all started, it's got such a raw and significant sound that you hear less from album to album. And it's probably the most 'Metal' you will ever hear from BG.

The songwriting is improved on Follow The Blind, but that doesn't necessarily mean its the album you should hear it first. BOF is one of the first ever pioneering Power Metal releases, so i'd say it was more of a staple in the band's discography for that reason too.
07.10.2010 - 20:47
Winterthrone
I would buy both! Since they are complementary in my opinion.
07.10.2010 - 21:49
Got Mayhem?
i have decided to make a blind purchase.

LOL
----
08.10.2010 - 00:19
jacut
Batallions of Fear overall even if the best songs among the two albums are probably "Banished From Sanctuary" and "Valhalla".
08.10.2010 - 01:23
RavenKing
Written by Edmund Fogg on 07.10.2010 at 18:16

Battalions of Fear

I happen to disagree. Imo, "Follow The Blind" is as raw as "Battalions Of Fear" and a bit faster.
Overall, FTB is a bit more extreme. (I'm talking of the real songs and not the two utterly useless covers)
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
08.10.2010 - 02:34
Elaryan
Battalions of Fear
08.10.2010 - 04:24
Culty
Definitely Battalions of Fear. I find it to be a much more solid release, though i may be slightly biased because my favorite song from BG happens to be "Run for the Night". haha
----
Gfnttlr
08.10.2010 - 04:39
BMR Monkey
Both
08.10.2010 - 05:29
Follow the Blind. Rawer, faster, even longer if you consider that.

Somgs such as Hall of the King, Damned for all Time, Beyond the ice simply beat Wizard's Crown, Run for the Night, By the Gates of Moria or Martyr. In my opinion only better underrated song (not talking about hits such as Valhalla, Banish from Sanctuary or Majesty, other songs count too) on BoF is Guardian of the Blind instead of Fast to Madness on FtB.

And I'm saying this as a long time BG fan
08.10.2010 - 13:34
Edmund Fogg
Written by RavenKing on 08.10.2010 at 01:23

Written by Edmund Fogg on 07.10.2010 at 18:16

Battalions of Fear

I happen to disagree. Imo, "Follow The Blind" is as raw as "Battalions Of Fear" and a bit faster.
Overall, FTB is a bit more extreme. (I'm talking of the real songs and not the two utterly useless covers)

Maybe because the release I have was downloaded,The quality of sound for follow the blind was real garbage ahnd because I had battalions of fear for a long time before getting Follow the blind, my opinion us not neutral but I still prefer Battalions Of Fear
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
08.10.2010 - 14:32
RavenKing
Written by Edmund Fogg on 08.10.2010 at 13:34

Maybe because the release I have was downloaded,The quality of sound for follow the blind was real garbage ahnd because I had battalions of fear for a long time before getting Follow the blind, my opinion us not neutral but I still prefer Battalions Of Fear

I understand. It's just that your comment surprised me because FTB is faster and probably a bit rawer than BOF. Imo, FTB is the rawest, fastest and most extreme album Blind Guardian ever released (and will ever release).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
08.10.2010 - 18:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 08.10.2010 at 14:32
I understand. It's just that your comment surprised me because FTB is faster and probably a bit rawer than BOF. Imo, FTB is the rawest, fastest and most extreme album Blind Guardian ever released (and will ever release).

I dunno about rawer, but FTB definitely has a thrashier vibe. BOF is raw early power metal. FTB is that as well, but there's more thrash elements on FTB than BOF.
08.10.2010 - 22:05
Baz Anderson
Staff
"Follow The Blind" was always my least favourite Blind Guardian album... maybe second least now.
Their debut has always been a great album.
09.10.2010 - 15:16
Jujitsu-man
Ready to ROCK
I like both albums, but the front cover of "Follow the Blind" is my one of my favourites album covers of all time, so I'd prefer having that one in my collection.
09.10.2010 - 18:56
Evil-Watcher
I love both of them. They mark the beginning from one of the most creativ bands. I mean just look at the Discograghy of thees Guys.
Anyway I think they are about equal. Follow The Blind might be a littlebit in front, because they don´t play Majesty live anymore and Valhalla is the Bandhymn. I was in Langen a few days ago at their Show and all People were singing the Chorus of Valhalla on and on for minutes after the Song has ended. Not even the Bards Song could match that.
10.10.2010 - 19:12
TamTam
I bought them both, I'de buy them both again.
My advice, download both, listen to both, buy both. I used the word "Both" alot.
11.10.2010 - 01:06
Kratos
I like Follow the Blind better because, the speed and aggression on it really makes the songs sound better, imo. And the rifts on FtB are way more badass then on BoF but Battalions of Fear is still a very good album.
11.10.2010 - 06:19
Varegan
Hamranakara
Without a doubt and not even a little bit of fear, we all must Follow the Blind with no question!!!
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
12.10.2010 - 00:36
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Battalions Of Fear i always thought was one of their best albums. Follow The Blind has so many weak songs for me, especially the ones at the beginning, i love Beyond The Ice and Valhalla though.
22.12.2012 - 13:04
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally prefer Battalions of Fear more. I think it's a more "all-around" solid release than Follow The Blind, which mostly has just a couple of standouts, and is probably the weakest BG album for me.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).