Metal Storm logo
You found a wallet with money lying on the street. what do you do?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 12.10.2010 - 15:47
I will take the money if there is no ID in the wallet/bag/whatever and if i can't attribute it to a certain person. If there is any indication who that lost bag/wallet/whatever belongs to, I will not take the money.

Poll

you found a wallet with money and ID papers lying somewhere, so you..

report both the money and wallet
keep the money and the wallet
keep the money, report wallet to police

Total votes: 87
05.09.2011 - 16:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Warman on 05.09.2011 at 14:23
If there's a good number in there I probably would take the cash and leave the wallet where I found it.

Wait, so you would just leave the wallet on the floor/table/chair/whatever place you found it?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.09.2011 - 18:01
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.09.2011 at 16:53

Wait, so you would just leave the wallet on the floor/table/chair/whatever place you found it?

Yeah, I wouldn't want any questions about whatever happened to the money.
----
06.09.2011 - 05:34
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
It honestly depends on what the situation is.

If its just laying in the street, hell yes ill take the money then take the wallet to the cops. If its found in a store or anything along those lines, id just turn it in.
06.09.2011 - 13:55
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.09.2011 at 05:34

It honestly depends on what the situation is.

Exactly.
12.09.2011 - 14:17
Roro
- (if an ID was included): i rather to make the contact with my self. i dont trust police here.
- (no ID included) : i'll give it all as charities to all the street kids and old people.

....and i'll keep the empty wallet to my self if it was chic :p
24.09.2011 - 18:15
Evil Chip
Keep the money and the wallet. I wouldn't have enough energy to left it on the police, but in any case I would've keep the money.
28.09.2011 - 00:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Report both the money and the wallet. What isn't mine isn't mine. That simple.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
29.09.2011 - 14:46
Himann
Orm KrigGud
I lost my wallet some years back (about 5 years I think) and never got back the money, ID, papers or ATM cards in it. I had a really bad month without the money and trying to replace everything that was lost took absolute ages. Getting a new ID and sorting out legal/official issues related to this was hell and one of the documents took a year to replace since I had to travel back home multiple times in order to sort it out. Got severely chewed out by my dad for months.

Another incident happened to a German friend of mine who also lives here. He found a wallet in a restaurant and apparently when he handed it in he found it was apparently used to pay off a drug deal. Some local gangsters were caught by the cops once they came looking for it. By giving it to the restaurant management immediately he probably avoided a whole heap of trouble.

In short, dont mess around with other peoples things. Just do the right thing because you dont know the story behind it all.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
03.10.2011 - 06:05
MetallicA
@Himann - wow that's nuts!

Once I lost my wallet while on campus during my freshman year of college and it had everything in it. Even my school email address was written down in it. The next day I got an email from the person who found it saying that she left it at the front desk in one of the buildings on campus. I immediately went to get it and everything was still there, even the $4 that was in it!

At a concert earlier this year I found a wallet on the floor and immediately gave it to the security. Every now and then I'll see someone drop their money and I'll immediately pick it up and give it to them.

I will admit if I found a wallet and nobody was looking, I would probably take whatever cash was inside and then turn it in. haha

I have a funny story about someone dropping something: my boyfriend's sister was at a grocery store and found a little baggie with a green substance in it (ok we all know what that could be LOL) She had no clue though. She was apparently very naive. She picked it up and went to one of the cashiers and said "someone dropped this and I want to turn it in so they can come back and get it" hahahaha the cashier was like wtf for real? I bet the cashier kept it and smoked it later
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
04.10.2011 - 15:11
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by MetallicA on 03.10.2011 at 06:05

I have a funny story about someone dropping something: my boyfriend's sister was at a grocery store and found a little baggie with a green substance in it (ok we all know what that could be LOL) She had no clue though. She was apparently very naive. She picked it up and went to one of the cashiers and said "someone dropped this and I want to turn it in so they can come back and get it" hahahaha the cashier was like wtf for real? I bet the cashier kept it and smoked it later

hahaha, i would totally have smoked that. there's no weed like free weed
21.12.2011 - 06:56
Sweetou
Probably take it cause I'm poor.
21.12.2011 - 15:07
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Sweetou on 21.12.2011 at 06:56

Lazy bitch. Go get a job.

Preferably as a maid or a whore, because then you'll be of use to other people.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.12.2011 - 00:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by vezzy on 21.12.2011 at 15:07

Written by Sweetou on 21.12.2011 at 06:56

Lazy bitch. Go get a job.

Preferably as a maid or a whore, because then you'll be of use to other people.

I think you need a few (mental) years of growing up and then (hopefully) you'll find better things to do with your life than insult people on internet forums just like that.
22.12.2011 - 03:34
Snake? Snaaaake!
Account deleted
Yeah, it's slightly amusing once or twice.... but it just gets annoying after a gazillion times.
22.12.2011 - 12:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Valentin B on 22.12.2011 at 00:29
I think you need a few (mental) years of growing up and then (hopefully) you'll find better things to do with your life than insult people on internet forums just like that.

I'm acting my age, dammit.
----
22.12.2011 - 13:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by vezzy on 22.12.2011 at 12:42

Written by Valentin B on 22.12.2011 at 00:29

I'm acting my age, dammit.

Must be crazy times then, I definitely wasn't an asshole and did not use that language when I was your age.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.12.2011 - 14:54
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.12.2011 at 13:46
Must be crazy times then, I definitely wasn't an asshole and did not use that language when I was your age.

Oh well, different people.

At least I wouldn't steal a wallet.
----
22.12.2011 - 15:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by vezzy on 22.12.2011 at 14:54
At least I wouldn't steal a wallet.

I didn't even had a wallet Bought candy most of the time. No need to save too much for that XP.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.12.2011 - 15:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.12.2011 at 15:31
I didn't even had a wallet Bought candy most of the time. No need to save too much for that XP.

That's nice. I buy candy and lemon-flavored beer myself most of the time. They don't sell it anymore because it's winter, so tomorrow once I get to the small town for winter vacation, I'm gonna chug down my first ale.

And just to be on topic, I'm not gonna steal someone's wallet to do so.
----
23.12.2011 - 04:17
Sweetou
Lol idgaf.
28.12.2011 - 07:05
SerratedSyringe
I'd probably analyze the situation based on the wallet and it's contents. If it is a designer wallet stuffed with cash, obviously I'd be more inclines to keep it and less inclined to feel sorry for the person who dropped it. If it's raggedy and only had a couple bucks inside, I'd probably just leave it.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
29.12.2011 - 16:40
arwestromen
Depends on how much money there is....if it is less than 200 SEK (30 USD) it's not worth it
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
13.01.2012 - 17:21
Sentinel65
If there was no ID I would keep everything, but the fact that I know who the owner is makes me return it.
14.01.2012 - 02:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Sophist on 05.09.2011 at 09:46

Just money, no one around, take it.
If I se a person dropping it with no id, I'll still run like a hellhound after them to give it back.
No one around but with an ID, I'll keep it and try to find the person.

Agreed.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.01.2012 - 00:28
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
My mom lost a wallet with a shitload of money and all her ID in it a year ago. It was some major unpaid debt/bill she needed to take care of, but the zipper on her bag was broken and she lost the wallet by the time she reached the bank (or wherever you pay your bills, I have no idea really ) she was headed for. The person who found it tracked her down and handed her everything, and she rewarded him with some money afterwards. I'd do it too for someone of course.

If the person lost it in the street, I'd run after him/her if I see the person dropping it, otherwise, if I just found it laying around with no ID, I probably wouldn't take the money. Dunno, might be a smart thing to do, but I just wouldn't. And if the person left it in a public place/school with no ID in it, I'd leave it where it is, because there is a chance they'll go back.
----
7.0 means the album is good
31.01.2012 - 23:22
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 31.01.2012 at 18:53

that actually changed my opiniön of wanting to take the money and leaving it where it is.

Yeah, I mean - you do need the money, everyone needs it, right? But you never know who the money belongs to. Maybe it's not some rich dude who carries heaps of money around for no purpose - maybe it's just a normal person who needs it as much as the next dude.
----
31.01.2012 - 23:49
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 31.01.2012 at 23:47

damn now you are making me guilty of things i've done.

One can't change what he's done, but if "karma" ever gives you a chance to make up for it, don't miss it
----
01.02.2012 - 04:47
Zealot644
I would report it and where it could be found - if nobody claimed it within some amount of time (undecided) I would probably use the money. This is assuming I couldnt track down the person myself. Hell, they might even tell you to keep the money if you were to give it back

I'd hope that somebody would do the same for me.